2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Well ok, but nobody proposed price controls.

For the record, I don’t love the proposal because the juice (hand waving about price gouging to mollify progressives) isn’t worth the squeeze (people who know better calling it price controls, and people who don’t believing them).

What daylight do you see between what she's talking about and price controls?  It's not like we're the only ones that say it looks like that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/08/15/kamala-harris-price-gouging-groceries/

https://time.com/7011214/kamala-harris-campaign-federal-ban-price-gouging-food-groceries-inflation/

• Hook 'Em 1

The Trump campaign has spent 4x as much money in Georgia once Harris became the nominee compared to pre-Harris in 2024. Of the $37m in ad buys for next week, $24m is in Georgia

They are scared.  They know they have no path to winning without Georgia.  And it is a tied race - not to mention AZ slipping into lean Harris and NC also a tied race.

Also means their "fix" with the Election Board not certifying isn't as foolproof as people on here act like it is. 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

What daylight do you see between what she's talking about and price controls?  It's not like we're the only ones that say it looks like that.

Most state price gouging statutes contain these three elements:

1. Emergency or Crisis Situation – applies to abrupt price increases during a time of disaster or other emergency
  2. Essential Items or Services – applies exclusively to items or services that are essential to survival
  3. Price Limit – sets a limit on the price that can be charged for essential goods or services

I could see a Price Gouging statute that had a relatively high standard of proof that required a showing of monopoly or a certain jump in profit margin unrelated to product improvement, etc. 

I see something like that as distinct from simple price controls.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

You joke, but phdhorn is a super climate change denier. It's pretty much the reason he doesn't post here anymore. 

Damn, missed that and that’s unfortunate. Loved his storm tracker threads (that was him right?)

edit: never mind, asked and answered. I should have kept reading the thread before posting.  

Edited by achooloco

Why am I not at all surprised people would take offense to Walz joking about white people not liking spice? Snowflakes indeed.

Greatest scandal in modern history.

“But your nominee has said we should get rid of the constitution and that he wants to be a dictator.”
“Whatever. The real scandal is what Walz said about food.”
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Well ok, but nobody proposed price controls.

For the record, I don’t love the proposal because the juice (hand waving about price gouging to mollify progressives) isn’t worth the squeeze (people who know better calling it price controls, and people who don’t believing them).

That said, words have meaning and  I’m not going to play along with that framing. I see this as a VERY modest step towards reasserting a modicum of oversight of monopolistic behaviors and cartels. 

Do we even know what the proposal is?

This whole subject intrigues me because I am firmly convinced that capitalism/business is run amok, but the only candidate/policy person with sensible reforms I can think of is Liz Warren.

ETA:  Scraping around, this seems to be pretty much pandering and some mush-mouthed stuff about using the antitrust laws against alleged gougers.  Nothing like an actual "federal ban on 'corporate price-gouging."

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I disagree with your premise. They're putting meat on the bones of her campaign (edit - for the media, for content at rallies) and appealing to younger votes, not mollifying progressives. Candidates need a simple plan to rally an audience on the stump, and to sound like a reasonable step to the media. Detailed plans and discussing policy doesn't work. The media pays no attention. See Hillary Clinton's campaign, for example. The next 10 weeks aren't about legislation; they're about winning an election so you can pass legislation. Bare bones ideas are what matters in a campaign. The legislative process is where you worry about the details, but they have to get there first. 

Jeez, the extreme-whites are really kicking up a fuss about spicy tacos. Fortunately, they're on the receiving end of a snide of mockery.

image.png.4ffb3dcd9eb2269d682fc8144c6db084.png

Black pepper being too spicy is a long held Minnesota stereotype. Getting triggered about joking around with that is just out of touch and, well, I'm not trying to pedal a talking point but it's fucking weird and maladjusted.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Do we even know what the proposal is?

This whole subject intrigues me because I am firmly convinced that capitalism/business is run amok, but the only candidate/policy person with sensible reforms I can think of is Liz Warren.

Maybe we should wait until she makes her policy speech today. For all we know, maybe she worked with Liz on it 

3 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Oh look. A racist dog whistle.

Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

There should be a simple question put to her on live TV there: "She is the Vice President of the United states and a major party nominee for President. You are a member of Congress. We know you know her name and how to properly pronounce it. Why are you purposefully choosing to mispronounce it?"

The same applies to really any GOP goon trying to drum up enthusiasm by stroking racist undertones.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 7

Mace used to be one of the semi reasonable ones (eg during the certification).  I feel like she hired a publicist or something and realizes that there is money in them there hills (pun kinda intended) and has now gone all in. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Mace used to be one of the semi reasonable ones (eg during the certification).  I feel like she hired a publicist or something and realizes that there is money in them there hills (pun kinda intended) and has now gone all in. 

Yeah, there was a time when she seemed to be one of the more sensible conservatives that wasn't all-in on the culture war shit.

But she has well and truly fallen in line.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Maybe we should wait until she makes her policy speech today. For all we know, maybe she worked with Liz on it 

As I ETA'd, it appears that this is some pretty mushy pandering about task forces and antitrust enforcement and using existing laws, which doesn't seem to have any real teeth.

I guess we can hope.

Edited by TwiceHorn

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Maybe and I doubt it's nearly as wonky or as progressive as what Warren would propose. 

22 hours ago, mdmost said:

It's all about laying the foundation to contest the election when he loses. He'll file lawsuits that she was not a legitimate candidate because Biden won the primaries. It's just throwing grievance shit against the wall. But it's also whining because he spent years making Biden out as the feeble candidate and now that's him. 

This.  He played with fire:  "Joe (80) is too old for the job vote for me (78)"

Now that the narrative is rooted and bore fruit he can't change it because he's got almost 20 years on Kamala.  He laid his own trap.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

15 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Oh look. A racist dog whistle.

10 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

The longer version of that roundtable is quite damning about Mace's integrity and an embarrassing #fail. (It's also a great example of why I turned off cable news 20ish years ago). https://www.threads.net/@acynig/post/C-txLthxcl2/?xmt=AQGz43WHI2p-jebsal4ta-ZGKFxW3XdYuWsZbXFFLMNtKA

https://www.threads.net/@acynig/post/C-txLthxcl2/?xmt=AQGz43WHI2p-jebsal4ta-ZGKFxW3XdYuWsZbXFFLMNtKA

• Hook 'Em 1

She’s JD Vance with a vagina (and same amount of eyeliner).
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The thing about this latest fake outrage, to me, is that it makes no fucking sense.

Of course it makes no sense.

Winter Snowflake PNG Ice Blue Glitter Snowflake Bundle Winter Glitter  Designs Transparent PNG Digital Download File - Etsy Hong Kong

1 minute ago, hornmpa96 said:

With terrible gummy flour tortillas

I get that they buy them . . . do they not heat them up?  Gah Torchy's is a beating.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The thing about this latest fake outrage, to me, is that it makes no fucking sense.

First, I'm not offended, because I'm a white guy and I like tons of spicy fucking shit. Second, when she says mayonnaise or tuna...she's listing bland things. How does that have anything to do with race? He is the one who volunteers White Guy Tacos. So I guess the white guy can't make fun of himself now? It literally makes no sense from any fucking angle. 

Well they thought they could “JV Vance” Walz and as it turns out they cannot because JV is just terrible and Walz is our nations next Uncle-Daddy.

And because they know no one likes their shit and they are losing. That part too. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Blotto said:

That's a strange alias for his penis, but he's a strange dude. 

"Weird",  the correct term is "weird"

16 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Probably considers them just one song.

Eruption/You really got me,  yeah, I identify with that.  It's why streaming sucks because it treats them like two different songs most of the time.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Sure. Price controls are restrictions on prices, set by a central authority.

This ain’t that. This proposal would expand the scope of FTC’s oversight to include wholesale market power in food commodities and to remind the DOJ that antitrust regs exist. And possibly institute price gouging bans at the federal level similar to what already exists in most states. 

It’s not a matter of daylight. Calling this “price controls” is a Pavlovian response trained into the media and citizens by rent-seekers working the refs. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

First, I'm not offended, because I'm a white guy and I like tons of spicy fucking shit. Second, when she says mayonnaise or tuna...she's listing bland things. How does that have anything to do with race? He is the one who volunteers White Guy Tacos. So I guess the white guy can't make fun of himself now? It literally makes no sense from any fucking angle. 

Falls under the endless list of "every accusation is a confession" category for those morons. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I get that they buy them . . . do they not heat them up?  Gah Torchy's is a beating.

I think they pull tortillas from the walk-in and put them straight in the plastic basket. Those tortillas have never seen the flattop grill.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The racists are still very angry and offended about a joke.

image.thumb.png.1b3c4dc5db4c965ac690dde1298f1487.png

Meanwhile:

image.png.b5cd7d49167bb78d21b11645d73254b2.png

Why can their white guy make jokes about white people when our white guy can’t make jokes about black people? That’s racist!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Nobody’s offended. It’s theater. 

Yep.  The Nancy Mace clip was definitely theater. She pronounced Kamala correctly then remembered she’s supposed to mispronounce it so everybody could get outraged. This is basically professional wrestling.  Mace is the heel and has to insult Kamala so the babyfaces can come to her rescue.

I used to expect more of CNN, but not anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2