2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

There should be a simple question put to her on live TV there: "She is the Vice President of the United states and a major party nominee for President. You are a member of Congress. We know you know her name and how to properly pronounce it. Why are you purposefully choosing to mispronounce it?"

The same applies to really any GOP goon trying to drum up enthusiasm by stroking racist undertones.

This needs to be Harris’s opening statement in the debate

image.gif.efab9aefff04905149d3a97693646822.gif

• Haha 6

There should be a simple question put to her on live TV there: "She is the Vice President of the United states - for four years - and a major party nominee for President. You are a member of Congress. We know you know her name and how to properly pronounce it. Why are you purposefully choosing to mispronounce it?"

The same applies to really any GOP goon trying to drum up enthusiasm by stroking racist undertones.

yup

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

too bad that crowd thinks chanting fuck donald trump is enough. a bunch of years ago I stopped watching the news and got into activism in addition to voting. they need to understand the difference between energy wasted and actions taken that make a difference. chanting fuck donald trump at a concert is excellent but it's energy wasted unless they vote.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

There should be a simple question put to her on live TV there: "She is the Vice President of the United states and a major party nominee for President. You are a member of Congress. We know you know her name and how to properly pronounce it. Why are you purposefully choosing to mispronounce it?"

“Either you’re purposefully mispronouncing her name or you are too stupid to pronounce it correctly. Which is it?”

• Hook 'Em 4

I wonder if they can get ahead of it and give them a pre-defined space to protest. 

I’m sure they’ve filed for permits. But, they will likely leave those permitted zones and block traffic. The goal of protests is to be in the news. They are trying to get eyeballs on their cause.
My bigger concern is the Chicago PD. They are famously corrupt, likely ProTrump, and cops know how to turn a protest into a “riot.” I hope the Chicago political machine is all over this to keep the cops inline.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

To sort of repeat myself, the "white guy tacos" thing just really speaks to their utter lack of any sense of humor which is truly indicative of weird people. First, it's funny because Walz is the exact Minnesota stereotype and is the perfect person to make that joke. Second, it's obviously a stereotype that is largely untrue, lots of white people like spicy food and appreciate good tacos. The fact that they don't get that (or don't want to get it) just shows how fucking lame they are as human beings. People you'd hate to have a beer with because you'd be itching to leave.

That's The Joke | Know Your Meme

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

30 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

My son considered the Marine Corps coming out of high school.  When the recruiter asked why he decided not to enlist, my son answered that he could get the same or better computer training as a civilian without "the needs of the Corps" sending him to be shot at in Iraq or Afghanistan.  I somehow raised a kid smarter than me.  I can't tell you how that happened.

Have you considered taking a paternity test?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Drool 1

59 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I know, right? That’s just a handout to irresponsible freeloaders who buy more house than they can afford.

Which is why Republicans all decline the mortgage interest deduction on principle, right?

Comparing the mortgage interest deduction and the proposed $25K down payment support is silly since they operate in very different ways (who it directly benefits, how much they benefit, and when)

It's a very simple way to increase the cost of homes by another $10K - $25K while also adding to our deficit. It's the same problem with paying off people's student loans - it just incentivizes universities to charge more and exacerbates the issue.  At a higher level, I hate it because it's pandering for votes with tax dollars, which, to be fair, is equally dumb when Trump (and I guess Kamala now too?) offer handouts for child tax credits and not taxing tips.  Every single fuckstick running for office, except probably RFKjr, seem to have no issue with spending us into oblivion. 

I shouldn't be surprised that voters fall for this shit every cycle though, much of the voting population consists of dumb selfish idiots that can't manage a lemonade stand, much less a budget or understand basic economics. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This may seem like a silly question, but he IS a marine after all… 

any chance the conception happened while you were deployed?

Marine Reserve, before I was married.  I never deployed.  When I tried to reenlist for Desert Storm, they politely told me that they didn't need washed up has beens with dad bods.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
Me no spel gud.
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Comparing the mortgage interest deduction and the proposed $25K down payment support is silly since they operate in very different ways (who it directly benefits, how much they benefit, and when)

It's a very simple way to increase the cost of homes by another $10K - $25K while also adding to our deficit. It's the same problem with paying off people's student loans - it just incentivizes universities to charge more and exacerbates the issue.  At a higher level, I hate it because it's pandering for votes with tax dollars, which, to be fair, is equally dumb when Trump (and I guess Kamala now too?) offer handouts for child tax credits and not taxing tips.  Every single fuckstick running for office, except probably RFKjr, seem to have no issue with spending us into oblivion. 

I shouldn't be surprised that voters fall for this shit every cycle though, much of the voting population consists of dumb selfish idiots that can't manage a lemonade stand, much less a budget or understand basic economics. 

Well, you should definitely vote for him then as the only practical, responsible, well-reasoned candidate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Marine Reserve, before I was married.  I never deployed.  When I tried to reenlist for Dessert Storm, they politely told me that they didn't need washed up has beens with dad bods.

Sounds delicious!

logo.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 2

5 hours ago, TexasEd said:

This.  He played with fire:  "Joe (80) is too old for the job vote for me (78)"

Now that the narrative is rooted and bore fruit he can't change it because he's got almost 20 years on Kamala.  He laid his own trap.

Damn it.  I missed the opportunity to use the phrase "Trump has been hoisted with his own petard"

Edited by TexasEd
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I haven't studied the $25K down payment support issue closely enough to opine one way or the other but I highly doubt it will have the slightest effect on the actual true cost of buying a home.

Student loan forgiveness is more to help people get out from under these crippling predatory loans that were partly the result of universities ALREADY raising tuition astronomically. But I'm not naive enough to think this alone solves the overarching problem. Your example is much more applicable to school vouchers. It's been proven to work just this way in Arkansas and (I believe) in Arizona.

• Hook 'Em 5

28 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Every single fuckstick running for office, except probably RFKjr, seem to have no issue with spending us into oblivion. 

Well, I really appreciated the free cell phone I got when Obama took office.

• Rage+1 1

40 minutes ago, 'stache said:

To sort of repeat myself, the "white guy tacos" thing just really speaks to their utter lack of any sense of humor which is truly indicative of weird people. First, it's funny because Walz is the exact Minnesota stereotype and is the perfect person to make that joke. Second, it's obviously a stereotype that is largely untrue, lots of white people like spicy food and appreciate good tacos. The fact that they don't get that (or don't want to get it) just shows how fucking lame they are as human beings. People you'd hate to have a beer with because you'd be itching to leave.

That's The Joke | Know Your Meme

I'm not even sure if it was supposed to be a joke. I live in Kansas and you make "white people tacos" by browning ground beef with a packet of McCormick Taco seasoning sprinkled on top. That's just what everyone calls it.

Edit to add: White people tacos also have lettuce, cheese and sour cream, served pretty much always on a flour tortilla.

Edited by The Hot Dog Buffet
  • Hook 'Em 1

nsiap

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4831227-frank-luntz-trump-advice/?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

“If I were advising him, which I am not, I would look him straight in the eye and say, ‘Sir, you need to shut up. You need to stop behaving like a petulant child, and start focusing on what the American people want, in a way that they want to hear it,’” Luntz said on “CNN This Morning” with anchor Kasie Hunt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm guessing this is like the flyers put on East Side businesses here years ago telling people they would have to leave to make room for gentrification. Too many people took it literally and missed a solid point being made with absurdity. I doubt this sign is from Trump followers but actually ridicules their racist, violent, stupid hatred.

I get that's a possibility, and that someone perhaps tried to make a clever political point or even bring the opposition into disrepute. OTOH taping a "hunting permit" for Hispanics specifically on the front of Hispanic-owned businesses seems an unlikely method to do so given the aggressive, violent and targeted message.

When the opposition tells you who they are, believe them. 

Are they (Trump and his supporters) racist? Yes. At least five Project 2025 contributors have a history of racist writing or statements, or white supremacist activity. One contributor wrote in his PhD dissertation that immigrants have lower IQs than white native citizens. Project 2025 contributor Jason Richwine’s 2009 PhD thesis claimed that “no one knows whether Hispanics will ever reach IQ parity with whites, but the prediction that new Hispanic immigrants will have low-IQ children and grandchildren is difficult to argue against.”  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2024/07/29/project-2025-racist-writing/74567007007/  - and that's the thugs at the top of the organization, not the thugs voting for 'em.

Are they violent (and acting out right now)? Yes.

image.thumb.png.c9c0c811ca512de8df7ec676b3114393.png

Edited by Chopper
  • Rage+1 5

34 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

That analysis is painfully stupid and self-serving. The mortgage deduction is essentially a reduction in the net interest rate. And as we saw clearly a couple years ago, changes in the interest rate directly impact prices.

But please, continue to bend over backwards to explain why you’re not a hypocritical welfare queen who bitches about small benefits to others while gleefully reaping massive handouts for yourself.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

nsiap

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4831227-frank-luntz-trump-advice/?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

“If I were advising him, which I am not, I would look him straight in the eye and say, ‘Sir, you need to shut up. You need to stop behaving like a petulant child, and start focusing on what the American people want, in a way that they want to hear it,’” Luntz said on “CNN This Morning” with anchor Kasie Hunt.

Forgot the "with tears in my eyes"

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don't.  I doubt there is anybody who didn't vote for him in 2020, who is now thinking "you know what?  That's my guy!"  I also think the Trump of 2020 would be doing a lot more over the span of two weeks than a Mar-a-Lago presser, a Bedminster presser, and a "rally" at a 2,700 seat theater, especially as his competition is lapping him.

Partly because:

All great points, and it feeds into him just rambling on without a point.  I feel like in the run-up to 2016 and 2020, yeah, he would get off topic and babble/ramble a bit but he seemed to be working the crowd more, and he always seemed to have that reality TV star knack of having a point or two or three that he was trying to make.  He may take a while to get to the point, but he eventually came back to it, and got the applause and the laughs at the right moments.

I sometimes think the people who believe he's thrown in the towel and is just grifting are right.  He is not acting like somebody who wants to actually win.  He can talk a lot, but I can talk about how I'm going to win the lottery or go out with Sela Ward on a date, but if I don't actually go out and buy a ticket or figure out how to get the restraining order dropped, it's not going to happen.

Now he's the political equivalent of an elderly person driving around, blowing through stop signs and traffic lights, oblivious to what's going on around him.

He didn't do a 2 hour stump speech because he wasn't trying.  He's not all there, or to quote a famous phrase, there is no there there. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

On the housing situation, it's a pretty complicated topic.  What are the causes of the problems (too many funds buying up single family homes, foreign investments, etc.), what are potential side effects (crashing home prices) and how do you thread the needle of bringing more affordability without side effects?

I think we need to make sure that we incentivize home ownership by individuals and maybe that comes at the expense of the funds and foreign investment.  Is it propping up first time buyers or slowing the pace of conversion to investment properties?  Probably both.

We've seen what's happened in China with all the empty dwellings bought up as inflated investments.  We need to head that off here.  Not saying they are empty but the investment homes are impacting the market negatively.  

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I'm not even sure if it was supposed to be a joke. I live in Kansas and you make "white people tacos" by browning ground beef with a packet of McCormick Taco seasoning sprinkled on top. That's just what everyone calls it.
Edit to add: White people tacos also have lettuce, cheese and sour cream, served pretty much always on a flour tortilla.
That's what we call including my mexican friends. Delicious. But so are barbacoa; lengua, Al Pastor etc.
Taco Party is a big tent.
  • Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

nsiap

He'd have a better chance of success telling trump to flap his flabby old man arms really hard and see if he can get that 239 lbs airborne. Lulz at attempting to retrain that 78 year old pudding brain now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Naw, corn hard shell. White people tacos are standard Midwestern fare, though my crew calls them "mom's tacos" because everyone's mom made them growing up. Anything in a tortilla would be considered a burrito, though the ingredients are the same. 

Edited by seven
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

On the housing situation, it's a pretty complicated topic.  What are the causes of the problems (too many funds buying up single family homes, foreign investments, etc.), what are potential side effects (crashing home prices) and how do you thread the needle of bringing more affordability without side effects?

I think we need to make sure that we incentivize home ownership by individuals and maybe that comes at the expense of the funds and foreign investment.  Is it propping up first time buyers or slowing the pace of conversion to investment properties?  Probably both.

We've seen what's happened in China with all the empty dwellings bought up as inflated investments.  We need to head that off here.  Not saying they are empty but the investment homes are impacting the market negatively.  

Exclusionary zoning is a much bigger culprit for our housing crisis than institutional funds snatching up single-family inventory. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Philly is an underrated city.

On a related note, we had some overly aggressive pro life protesters here over the summer.  There was a minor incident.  Some random guy said to me "My sister lives in Philly and they went there once."

"Um, how did that go?"

"You get your ass kicked in Philly for acting like that."

Philly is definitely a vastly underrated city.  They have a chip on their shoulder for not being NYC, Boston, or DC and while some of that may be true, it stands on its own merit.

It's number t1 along with Denver on my wife and I's domestic Texas escape plan if it comes to that.

Further clarity on which direction Trump is headed:

The Trump campaign has hired Alex Bruesewitz, a "Stop the Steal" organizer who pled the Fifth in refusing to answer questions from the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6 insurrection. https://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/trump-campaign-hires-stop-the-steal-organizer-jan-6-conspiracy-theorist-alex-bruesewitz/

Since (organizing) the Jan. 6 insurrection, Bruesewitz continued to claim—against all evidence to the contrary—that “The January 6th ‘riot’ wasn’t conducted by Trump supporters to stop the certification of the election.” He claimed that the violence was carried out by “federal informants to stop the debate of the election so the American people couldn’t get the transparency they deserved.”

In 2022, Bruesewitz said the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6 resolution could “go to hell” and said, “I will never apologize for exercising my constitutional rights after the 2020 ‘election,’” which he had called “the greatest scam in the history of our nation.” He repeatedly invoked the Fifth Amendment in refusing to answer investigators’ questions.

In August 2022, when an FBI office in Ohio was attacked after the FBI carried out a search at Mar-a-Lago, Bruesewitz claimed that the attack was a “hoax” by “Biden’s Gestapo.”

Last year, he was reportedly considering a move to his home state of Wisconsin to mount a run for Congress. 

1 minute ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

Philly is definitely a vastly underrated city.  They have a chip on their shoulder for not being NYC, Boston, or DC and while some of that may be true, it stands on its own merit.

It's number t1 along with Denver on my wife and I's domestic Texas escape plan if it comes to that.

Philadelphia is nowhere even close to a tier 1 city lmao. 

30 minutes ago, immamac said:

This isn't how that works. There's a bunch of people who can afford the mortgage but can't come up with the required down money. This stimulates new home builds and doesn't inflate prices it gets new home builds up and right sizes the markets to home buyers and home sellers. It's a supremely lazy take to say this just juices the market. 

If you can’t afford a FHA loan with a 3.5% down payment, your chosen house is too expensive or you shouldn’t be buying a home. We should be focusing on policies that lower costs and reduce the inflation of the last 3 years so that people can afford to keep their homes once they’re in one rather than giving them the down payment on a home.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

Philly is a great city. Under no circumstances should anyone cross the river into Camden, 

• Like 1

Just now, Chopper said:

Further clarity on which direction Trump is headed:

The Trump campaign has hired Alex Bruesewitz, a "Stop the Steal" organizer who pled the Fifth in refusing to answer questions from the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6 insurrection. https://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/trump-campaign-hires-stop-the-steal-organizer-jan-6-conspiracy-theorist-alex-bruesewitz/

Competent people are refusing to help him. He's left with a bunch of lunatics trying to cling to power. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1