2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

If you can’t afford a FHA loan with a 3.5% down payment, your chosen house is too expensive or you shouldn’t be buying a home. We should be focusing on policies that lower costs and reduce the inflation of the last 3 years so that people can afford to keep their homes once they’re in one rather than giving them the down payment on a home.

You are so out of touch it's almost gotta be a bit. 

Ever heard of the inflation reduction act? 

Do you know what happened in 2020? 

• Hook 'Em 8

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fucking IN. This is a great idea. I will continue to post recipes from my cookbook (again, a gift from my half brother). We can all pick one and make it, and report the results.

Pick whatever you want. There’s a place for spam. Shit, that’s a real flavor bomb to folks from Minnesota.

Hey, are you and @Pescado_Rojo and @Kyrie Eleison coming over to my house for Election Night drink-a-thon against this year?  If so, you better bring your top-drawer hot dish, my friend.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 minutes ago, seven said:

Naw, corn hard shell. White people tacos are standard Midwestern fare, though my crew calls them "mom's tacos" because everyone's mom made them growing up. Anything in a tortilla would be considered a burrito, though the ingredients are the same. 

Yeah, my mom didn't like the crunchy shells so we always had soft tacos or burritos. My friends' moms always made them with crunchy shells, though. But nobody never had soft corn tortillas and we always called them white people tacos to not confuse them with the type of taco you'd get from a non-Taco Bell place with Mexican food.

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Don’t invite me again, thanks 

Right? How can you forget one of the first rules you learn in kindergarten? If you go handing out invites to a party publicly, you have to give everyone an invitation

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

My brother--you don't need an invite.  You're always welcome at Casa GOLL.

4 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I would like to purchase a ticket to that event, please. 

Ummm, I'm gonna have to think about that.

• Haha 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

13 minutes ago, UrbanAchiever said:

There are millions of people who can capably make a mortgage payment but can't come up with $25K for the down payment because things like exorbitant rents, child care, and student loan debt eat into any opportunity to save. And they can't hit up their parents or grandparents for the money either because they don't have generational wealth. Do these people just need to save until they're 50 to buy a house? 

Thank you for making my point. Yes, shit is expensive, and people that can’t save 3.5% shouldn’t be buying $700k starter homes. It’s not like expenses go away once you move into the house. Shit actually gets more expensive, I guess we just cover that too right?

Anyways, I’m all for getting rid of the mortgage interest deduction too. I think I was able to claim it for 3 years or something and it was never significant. Then again, i bought a reasonable home which I could afford without help from anyone else. But I’m a hypocritical welfare queen or something like that soooo

• Fuck You 1

Mortgage interest deduction is far less utilized since they doubled the standard deduction. With all the student loan attention, I'm surprised nobody has proposed raising the cap in the student loan interest deduction.

Fine. Just fine GOLL.   I’m sure that my exquisitely prepared Ramen noodle cup with leftover tasso and Tony Chachere’s will be appreciated somewhere…

…and ignore that email to your wife about borrowing money for airfare - it was just a joke. 

• Haha 3

Down payment assistance is good and can certainly help.  One of the biggest problem is supply and more specifically affordable supply.  Much of this is still a hangover from the great recession where in its wake many builders simply noped out of single family residential (if they remained a going concern at all) and those who have stuck around have spent much more time energy and effort developing mid and upper tier homes.  Yes builders like Pulte, Centex etc are still there but not nearly enough of that kind of what is now 200-500K stock being built when compared with 500-1M and 1M plus type builds.  

• Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

What daylight do you see between what she's talking about and price controls?  It's not like we're the only ones that say it looks like that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/08/15/kamala-harris-price-gouging-groceries/

https://time.com/7011214/kamala-harris-campaign-federal-ban-price-gouging-food-groceries-inflation/

Better stuff than I found, assuming the Harris/Warren bill is part of it.  That seems unusually vague for Warren.  The Newsweek article is more like the stuff I found, which a lot less resembles any kind of price control and really also seems directed at other behaviors.

8 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Down payment assistance is good and can certainly help.  One of the biggest problem is supply and more specifically affordable supply.  Much of this is still a hangover from the great recession where in its wake many builders simply noped out of single family residential (if they remained a going concern at all) and those who have stuck around have spent much more time energy and effort developing mid and upper tier homes.  Yes builders like Pulte, Centex etc are still there but not nearly enough of that kind of what is now 200-500K stock being built when compared with 500-1M and 1M plus type builds.  

Also hurting inventory is the influx of sfr investors, either small scale as people buy 1-5 homes for long term or short term leasing, or as a large scale corporate investment. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

It's the same problem with paying off people's student loans - it just incentivizes universities to charge more and exacerbates the issue. 

This is not how tuition works in higher ed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, mr.goodkat said:

no shit they could at least drop them on the grill for a couple of seconds 

Ate there the other day and had fajitas.  They put the cold sad tortillas in foil as a pretense that they had warmed them.  Not going back.

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Huge cash infusion for Trump ….

Is this the woman he made the Medal of Freedom> Medal of Honor comment about?  He said she was beautiful.

image.jpeg.dbfbf21dd2118e201b8c35b350c7730b.jpeg

• Haha 2

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I can’t attend, but an invitation would have been appreciated.

Why would I invite you?  Every time I'm in New York, you find some excuse not to hang out with me.  "I'm in London that week."  "I'm in Cape Town that month."  Yeah--likely story.

It fucking feels like high school again every goddamned time I got to New York.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

One of my favorite comments regarding Trump: "He knows nothing about everything."

Joirnalist David Cay Johnson, who has know Donald since the 80's, described him as "appallingly ignorant".

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Huge cash infusion for Trump ….

6 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

as a MFFL, I can say clearly: FUCK CUBAN, FUCK ADELSON, AND FUCK THE MAVS UNTIL SHE DIES

yeah, fuck this.

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This is not how tuition works in higher ed. 

lol, no kidding. it's the same people bitching that a $25k down payment assistance will just make the houses go up $25k in price. that's not how it fucking works at all. idiots.

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

If you can’t afford a FHA loan with a 3.5% down payment, your chosen house is too expensive or you shouldn’t be buying a home. We should be focusing on policies that lower costs and reduce the inflation of the last 3 years so that people can afford to keep their homes once they’re in one rather than giving them the down payment on a home.

32 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Thank you for making my point. Yes, shit is expensive, and people that can’t save 3.5% shouldn’t be buying $700k starter homes. It’s not like expenses go away once you move into the house. Shit actually gets more expensive, I guess we just cover that too right?

Anyways, I’m all for getting rid of the mortgage interest deduction too. I think I was able to claim it for 3 years or something and it was never significant. Then again, i bought a reasonable home which I could afford without help from anyone else. But I’m a hypocritical welfare queen or something like that soooo

Are you under the impression that it’s the people who already own homes that are being disproportionally hurt by high interest rates? The people that already got into homes and probably refinanced at 2-4% during COVID? 

Also, there aren’t a lot of cheaper “starter homes” these days. I bought a townhome n 2014 for 215k. The person I just sold it to, sold it for 450k. My next home as appreciated like 50% since we bought it. Which is great until we curiously looked to sell it and see what we could get elsewhere only to realize we’d have to use most of those profits and move to a worse neighborhood and buy a shittier home to have the same mortgage rates we have now because of interest. 

Yeah, the housing market is fine. 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Why would I invite you?  Every time I'm in New York, you find some excuse not to hang out with me.  "I'm in London that week."  "I'm in Cape Town that month."  Yeah--likely story.

It fucking feels like high school again every goddamned time I got to New York.

She’s full of shit, she’s not coming back to Texas for anything short of a funeral. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Hey, are you and [mention=251]Pescado_Rojo[/mention] and [mention=671]Kyrie Eleison[/mention] coming over to my house for Election Night drink-a-thon against this year?  If so, you better bring your top-drawer hot dish, my friend.

I mean, I assumed we’d have a hot dish pot luck for the occasion. Are we not?

Sigh. Now you’ve hurt his feelings, GOLL. We gotta invite him now.
no shit they could at least drop them on the grill for a couple of seconds 

Of the many, many things I hate about Torchy’s (and I hate almost EVERYTHING about Torchy’s), this is top of the list. It takes no fucking effort to at least warm a mediocre tortilla..and they don’t even do that. Fuck them.
  • Haha 1

If you really want to help housing prices, not only let them in but encourage migrants to come in to build them. Outlaw all sales taxes on all building materials in the supply chain. Force municipalities to cap building and utility fees and subsidize them with general funds. And cut all income taxes on gains on land sales to home builders and apartment developers. Treat all investments in new housing and apartments like opportunity zones.

Don’t just give people money. Cut the god damn cost.

3 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I've got some fireworks saved back for that joyful occasion.  I don't care if there's a burn ban on, I'm fixing a couple of nice ribeyes with baked potatoes, mushrooms, and asparagus, getting a bottle of the best champagne my poor ass can afford, feasting, then setting the fireworks off.  If any of my neighbors don't like it, they can go shit in a hat.

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

If you really want to help housing prices, not only let them in but encourage migrants to come in to build them. Outlaw all sales taxes on all building materials in the supply chain. Force municipalities to cap building and utility fees. And cut all income taxes on gains on land sales to home builders and apartment developers.

Don’t just give people money. Cut the god damn cost.

Best way is to mandate density.  The problem is people don't want it.  They've bought into the suburban dream of a yard even if it means they're almost in Southern Oklahoma living in "Dallas."

You get these people that buy way out there, get a Tahoe or something and then when gas goes up 2 years later, blame Biden for their gas prices.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Comparing the mortgage interest deduction and the proposed $25K down payment support is silly since they operate in very different ways (who it directly benefits, how much they benefit, and when)

It's a very simple way to increase the cost of homes by another $10K - $25K while also adding to our deficit. It's the same problem with paying off people's student loans - it just incentivizes universities to charge more and exacerbates the issue.  At a higher level, I hate it because it's pandering for votes with tax dollars, which, to be fair, is equally dumb when Trump (and I guess Kamala now too?) offer handouts for child tax credits and not taxing tips.  Every single fuckstick running for office, except probably RFKjr, seem to have no issue with spending us into oblivion. 

I shouldn't be surprised that voters fall for this shit every cycle though, much of the voting population consists of dumb selfish idiots that can't manage a lemonade stand, much less a budget or understand basic economics. 

It's like you have no understanding of not just American politics, but any politics.

And lulz on RFKjr.  That dude would spend like a sailor on shore leave, but keep telling yourself he's different.  He IS different; it's just that he's nuttier than a squirrel's diaper.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good point.  He didn't say that.  He said Philly and Denver were tied for 1st on their escape cities.

Mea culpa probably should post less while driving in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. 

Made it to the wonderful Sioux City IA though. About to hit up the hard rock and just slayed some dogs and burgers at Milwaukee Weiner Co. 

Saw some swastikas etched into the sidewalk haha. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

This and the fact that new home starts cratered during COVID - right as they were starting to recover.

• Like 1