2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Harris/Walz schedule:

Monday - Walz Dallas fundraiser (Harris debate prep)
Tuesday - Harris debate; Walz in Vegas and Phoenix
Wednesday - Harris in PA, NYC and DC for 9/11 events with Biden
Thursday - Harris two rallies in  NC(Charlotte and Greensboro), Walz in Michigan
Friday - Harris in PA, Walz in Michigan and Wisconsin
Saturday - Harris (and Biden) at Congressional Black Caucus awards night

TBD on Trump/Vance schedule, except Trump has the debate and 3 fundraisers in SLC, SF, LA

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

TBD on Trump/Vance schedule, except Trump has the debate and 3 fundraisers in SLC, SF, LA

We all know there's gonna be 3-5 rounds of golf for Donnie this week.  And I'm still chortling over the idea of him having fundraisers when he said back in 2015 he was self-funding his campaign.  Yeah, I know he's full of shit----but no one, at least in MAGA world, ever brings up the fact he's an alleged billionaire that needs handouts.

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

White people, who is this? Is this the lady that sings “ANY MAN OF MIIIINNNEEE BETTA WALK THA LIIINNNEE” is that her?

image.png

She's the "Cuz I'm a redneck woman" singer

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I don't believe so. I think it's the same rules as the last debate. I'm very leery about this. I know a lot of people think she'll mop the floor with him but I think it will be like Hillary's debate with him where he will be able to say and do whatever he wants. She will have emphasis placed on any times she shows anger or disgust with what he says. I'm fully prepared for the media to can't win her while letting him be the utter pig he is with no discussion about it. 

Same.  In court, the hardest people to have on the other side of an argument are the pro se crazy people, when you're trying to steer the argument in a logical direction and they're going off on off the wall tangents on irrelevancies you never even thought of.  It's always easier to debate someone when you have an understanding of the logical things they may address.  You may win the argument when it's a judge with knowledge deciding.  But when it's just a bunch of vapid commentators and an electorate 40% of whom are in a cult, you can just come off as flailing in trying to address the inanity.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I can't seem to figure this out. When actual celebrities support democrats, you get "Keep your politics to yourself! Just act/sing/dribble/etc". But when a country singer I've never heard of endorses Dotard, that's "huge!!". And then you have Fox putting fucking Scott Baio on the "news" to discuss politics.

I don't know, it's almost like there's a weird double standard or something. Like they say one thing and do another. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pancho said:

White people, who is this? Is this the lady that sings “ANY MAN OF MIIIINNNEEE BETTA WALK THA LIIINNNEE” is that her?

image.png

That song you mention (Any Man of Mine) is Shania Twain, for whom I had a super gay crush on in the 90s, mostly for the “That Don’t Impress Me Much” video since she was an absolute diva. She’s Canadian and most definitely not MAGA.

image.jpeg.31e2b24f0ad802d62682f809bc668ba7.jpeg

• Drool 5

The Harris ad others have seen, but I noticed for the first time during SNF, was really good.  The one about the opportunity economy. 

Having her speak directly to the camera is a stark contrast to Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

She's a 51 year old country singer that hasn't been relevant in a decade and a half.  So, yeah, of course she's MAGA.

She will bring an army as large as Rhode Island’s Swifty‘s….but in Alabama. 

43 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

We all know there's gonna be 3-5 rounds of golf for Donnie this week. 

She needs to start the debate challenging him to a full 18 holes of golf, but with the caveat that they have to walk the whole course, no golf carts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I don't believe so. I think it's the same rules as the last debate. I'm very leery about this. I know a lot of people think she'll mop the floor with him but I think it will be like Hillary's debate with him where he will be able to say and do whatever he wants. She will have emphasis placed on any times she shows anger or disgust with what he says. I'm fully prepared for the media to can't win her while letting him be the utter pig he is with no discussion about it. 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trumps-weird-debate-strategies-come-from-creationist-tactics/

Trump’s ‘Gish Gallop’ Debate Tactic Comes from Creationists

A dishonest creationist debating tactic shouldn’t go unchallenged in American life. Or in national politics.

June’s fateful Biden vs. Trump debate led not just to the sudden ascension of Vice President Kamala Harris as the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee. Donald Trump’s performance also saw the return of a familiar tactic in American public discourse, the “Gish gallop”—an avalanche of nonsense presented as fact—on the debate stage. A favorite of creationists, the gallop’s trot into the political arena needs calling out as we head into the home stretch of the 2024 election.

Coined by the National Center for Science Education’s founding director Eugenie Scott in 1994, the Gish gallop takes its name from the creationist Duane Gish, who frequently challenged biologists to debates about evolution. His tactic consisted of talking fast and with confidence, bombarding opponents with falsehoods, non-sequiturs and enough cherry-picked factoids to confuse the audience. Scientists debating him faced the challenge of sifting half-truths from outright lies and finding the right evidence to refute them systematically, all within the few minutes allowed in response. Which effectively meant that when the bell went off, the Gish gallop left the scientist “stumped” and Gish declaring victory for creationism. Such a spectacle leaves the audience less informed than they were before the debate, all at the hands of a debater whose only goal is to discredit their opponent and “win” the debate.

The migration of the Gish gallop from creationist’s patter onto the presidential debate stage, and increasingly onto news opinion pages nationwide, exemplifies a dangerous debasement of honest dialogue in American life. That both the public and its leaders pass over, or applaud, this kind of dishonesty on the highest political stage shows how integrity has taken a back seat to “winning” power in politics, business and the so-called “culture wars,” and now shrouding us in a fog of disinformation.

In politics, the Gish gallop is precisely what Trump deployed in the June debate, putting Joe Biden at a significant disadvantage in attempting to refute even some of the falsehoods in the torrent of lies. Trump, as anyone even half paying attention to his speeches knows, is an expert at the Gish gallop. He projects the utmost confidence while bombastically repeating lie after lie until it overwhelms his audience into either accepting every word he says as the truth, or walking off in disgust because there is no way to get him to acknowledge any truth. At this point, everyone knows this so well that news reports scarcely cover it.

But wait, doesn’t that suggest his past debate performances helped him win the nomination and get elected? Not necessarily, because polling data showed no measurable effect a few weeks after the recent debate, as has been the trend historically. His previous electoral wins came from a variety of other factors that had little to do with the debates. Indeed his hulking performance stalking Hillary Clinton in 2016 on stage made him look unstable.

Now that Biden has withdrawn from the race, the next debate, scheduled for September 10, will likely feature Harris, the presumptive Democratic nominee, who better be prepared to counter Trump’s Gish gallop more forcefully. She will face a well-practiced con artist and loud dissembler who will flood the zone with enough falsehoods to outshout the former prosecutor and senator. (Speaking as an evolutionary scientist, there are no prizes for guessing which side of the evolution-creation debate these two candidates fall on, either.) When it’s her turn to respond, Harris should turn the tables on Trump by calling him out as a liar without bothering to refute each lie and refocus the audience on her own message. When asked how she might respond if Trump started stalking her on stage, Harris said she would turn around and ask “Why are you being so weird?” Indeed, her campaign has already leaned into this strategy to highlight and mock just how extreme the Republican agenda has become. It just might see her win the next debate as well.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

She needs to start the debate challenging him to a full 18 holes of golf, but with the caveat that they have to walk the whole course, no golf carts.

Why? She doesn’t play golf. She’d be the first president since Carter who doesn’t play golf.

would love to see her win and have congressional leaders over in the WH kitchen while she’s making Sunday dinners for the family. She ain’t gonna blow smoke up your ass on the course 

• Hook 'Em 2

Come on man, he’s already survived one assassination attempt.
  • Haha 3

I’m not gonna link it, but Silver basically confirmed in not so many words that his model is rage bait designed to get clicks and subscribers. “When you run a subscriber based newsletter that’s sensitive to traffic inflow”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trumps-weird-debate-strategies-come-from-creationist-tactics/

Trump’s ‘Gish Gallop’ Debate Tactic Comes from Creationists

A dishonest creationist debating tactic shouldn’t go unchallenged in American life. Or in national politics.

June’s fateful Biden vs. Trump debate led not just to the sudden ascension of Vice President Kamala Harris as the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee. Donald Trump’s performance also saw the return of a familiar tactic in American public discourse, the “Gish gallop”—an avalanche of nonsense presented as fact—on the debate stage. A favorite of creationists, the gallop’s trot into the political arena needs calling out as we head into the home stretch of the 2024 election.

Coined by the National Center for Science Education’s founding director Eugenie Scott in 1994, the Gish gallop takes its name from the creationist Duane Gish, who frequently challenged biologists to debates about evolution. His tactic consisted of talking fast and with confidence, bombarding opponents with falsehoods, non-sequiturs and enough cherry-picked factoids to confuse the audience. Scientists debating him faced the challenge of sifting half-truths from outright lies and finding the right evidence to refute them systematically, all within the few minutes allowed in response. Which effectively meant that when the bell went off, the Gish gallop left the scientist “stumped” and Gish declaring victory for creationism. Such a spectacle leaves the audience less informed than they were before the debate, all at the hands of a debater whose only goal is to discredit their opponent and “win” the debate.

The migration of the Gish gallop from creationist’s patter onto the presidential debate stage, and increasingly onto news opinion pages nationwide, exemplifies a dangerous debasement of honest dialogue in American life. That both the public and its leaders pass over, or applaud, this kind of dishonesty on the highest political stage shows how integrity has taken a back seat to “winning” power in politics, business and the so-called “culture wars,” and now shrouding us in a fog of disinformation.

In politics, the Gish gallop is precisely what Trump deployed in the June debate, putting Joe Biden at a significant disadvantage in attempting to refute even some of the falsehoods in the torrent of lies. Trump, as anyone even half paying attention to his speeches knows, is an expert at the Gish gallop. He projects the utmost confidence while bombastically repeating lie after lie until it overwhelms his audience into either accepting every word he says as the truth, or walking off in disgust because there is no way to get him to acknowledge any truth. At this point, everyone knows this so well that news reports scarcely cover it.

But wait, doesn’t that suggest his past debate performances helped him win the nomination and get elected? Not necessarily, because polling data showed no measurable effect a few weeks after the recent debate, as has been the trend historically. His previous electoral wins came from a variety of other factors that had little to do with the debates. Indeed his hulking performance stalking Hillary Clinton in 2016 on stage made him look unstable.

Now that Biden has withdrawn from the race, the next debate, scheduled for September 10, will likely feature Harris, the presumptive Democratic nominee, who better be prepared to counter Trump’s Gish gallop more forcefully. She will face a well-practiced con artist and loud dissembler who will flood the zone with enough falsehoods to outshout the former prosecutor and senator. (Speaking as an evolutionary scientist, there are no prizes for guessing which side of the evolution-creation debate these two candidates fall on, either.) When it’s her turn to respond, Harris should turn the tables on Trump by calling him out as a liar without bothering to refute each lie and refocus the audience on her own message. When asked how she might respond if Trump started stalking her on stage, Harris said she would turn around and ask “Why are you being so weird?” Indeed, her campaign has already leaned into this strategy to highlight and mock just how extreme the Republican agenda has become. It just might see her win the next debate as well.

Seriously - she shouldn't even waste her time addressing the lies with her time.  She should just have a sign that she holds up periodically whenever he lies during his time that says "That's a lie - go to Trumpsafuckingliar.com to get the truth ..."

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, Gap03 said:

Seriously - she shouldn't even waste her time addressing the lies with her time.  She should just have a sign that she holds up periodically whenever he lies during his time that says "That's a lie - go to Trumpsafuckingliar.com to get the truth ..."

Props aren’t allowed. 

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

We all know there's gonna be 3-5 rounds of golf for Donnie this week.  And I'm still chortling over the idea of him having fundraisers when he said back in 2015 he was self-funding his campaign.  Yeah, I know he's full of shit----but no one, at least in MAGA world, ever brings up the fact he's an alleged billionaire that needs handouts.

Don't forget he also didn't accept his POTUS annual salary either. /rolleyes

5 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

I still think she should just keep count. “Well that was lie #14 and 15 of the night” and then move onto her response. She can’t get bogged down in fact checking herself 

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You guys have got to stop giving these outrage merchants from Twitter so much oxygen. GunterFuckface, Laura Loomer, Charlie Tinyface. Just see them for the massive pieces of shit they are and stop giving them your eyeballs relevance and validation.

FIFY.

I go back and forth on it. She shouldn't have to call out the lies but it is important for her to do so. However, that's his tactic. Flood the zone with so much bullshit every time he's asked a question so that his bullshit becomes the topic and he doesn't have to address the question asked. She needs to not get knocked off her points or evade answering questions because she's constantly answering his bullshit. You know the media is going to can't win her if she address lie after lie. He can say the worst things in the world and it doesn't affect him. She can't because she's a woman and she's held to a higher standard which is absolute crap but it is what will happen. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Nikki has seen the internal numbers (or was told). She knows this is where Trump is getting killed. They’re trying everything to make it stop. This is one of Trump’s favorite shows. They know he is watching. This interview and comment was for a party of one.  But Donald won’t listen. Especially not coming from a woman. 

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

He has no policies, none, he probably couldn't even tell you what that means. The closest he has is Project 2025. So yes, please, try focusing on policies too. Vance's policy for childcare is to make the grandparents do it for you. Real solutions, lol.

• Hook 'Em 7

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I go back and forth on it. She shouldn't have to call out the lies but it is important for her to do so. However, that's his tactic. Flood the zone with so much bullshit every time he's asked a question so that his bullshit becomes the topic and he doesn't have to address the question asked. She needs to not get knocked off her points or evade answering questions because she's constantly answering his bullshit. You know the media is going to can't win her if she address lie after lie. He can say the worst things in the world and it doesn't affect him. She can't because she's a woman and she's held to a higher standard which is absolute crap but it is what will happen. 

I think a quick 'this is not a serious candidate and he won't even answer the questions posed to him' will be enough to rattle him a bit. Then go on to her answer.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Nikki has seen the internal numbers (or was told). She knows this is where Trump is getting killed. They’re trying everything to make it stop. This is one of Trump’s favorite shows. They know he is watching. This interview and comment was for a party of one.  But Donald won’t listen. Especially not coming from a woman. 

You can go ahead and view them any way you want.  You can treat them any way you want behind closed doors, or through legislation.  But, you need to speak about them differently in public when it's time to campaign.  Did I get that right, Nikki?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Like he's going to take the advice of a woman especially a nasty woman who was disloyal to him. 

You forgot brown.  He would never listen to a woman, especially not a dishonest non-white one

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Left Coast said:

That song you mention (Any Man of Mine) is Shania Twain, for whom I had a super gay crush on in the 90s, mostly for the “That Don’t Impress Me Much” video since she was an absolute diva. She’s Canadian and most definitely not MAGA.

image.jpeg.31e2b24f0ad802d62682f809bc668ba7.jpeg

You sure about that gif?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/shania-twain-says-shed-have-voted-for-trump-issues-apology-627778/

• Fuck Around and Find Out 2

She should very clearly state Trump's position on the issue at hand when it's her turn.  If she gets the question first, say "Donald will tell you ___, and here's how I disagree".  If she's on the rebuttal, say "Donald didn't clarify very well but this is his position on ___".  Control the narrative.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You guys have got to stop giving these outrage merchants from Twitter so much oxygen. GunterFuckface, Laura Loomer, Charlie Tinyface. Just see them for the massive pieces of shit they are and stop giving them your eyeballs. 

I was just trying to find the name of a country singer for a song that is now stuck in my head

Fx Networks Eating GIF by Cake FX

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Same.  In court, the hardest people to have on the other side of an argument are the pro se crazy people, when you're trying to steer the argument in a logical direction and they're going off on off the wall tangents on irrelevancies you never even thought of.  It's always easier to debate someone when you have an understanding of the logical things they may address.  You may win the argument when it's a judge with knowledge deciding.  But when it's just a bunch of vapid commentators and an electorate 40% of whom are in a cult, you can just come off as flailing in trying to address the inanity.  

Tell it to judge that is presiding over whichever fraud cases, pretty difficult to track these days, especially with the amount of fraud your businesses commit-- should cover about anything that spews out of his pie hole.   I mean who are you gonna believe, the courts or your fraudulent mouth that's asking for diplomatic immunity for your crimes?  Which crimes do you hope to commit during another 4 year term? Geez, this is just easy.  

Edited by Mdhorn

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

This is how I see this playing out too

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

image.png

297uyu.jpg

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I was just trying to find the name of a country singer for a song that is now stuck in my head

Fx Networks Eating GIF by Cake FX

Well thanks for nothing, because Redneck Woman has been stuck in my head all morning at the gym

• Haha 1