2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

6 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

I thought I had read an article somewhere a year or so ago about the effects of natural disasters on voting patterns and that there was no correlation to any shift.

yeah, shifts i bet aren't huge.  but i do bet that there is real affect on actually getting to the polls.  people are going to be living hand to mouth for a while there and won't have the ability to worry about esoteric things like voting.

Edited by BehoId, The Underminer!

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Only stoners smoke marijuana in the year of our lord 2024. No one else uses any type of recreational marijuana product. 

get out the vote. hard to get people to vote, no matter the issues 

low turnout favors the R’s 

29 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

the odds of getting stoners to …

1. register

2. go back and try to register again after not having the proper paper work 

3. show up and actually vote 

This is really out of touch. Do you know how many adults of all ages and all backgrounds use weed these days? 

Old people have really turned the corner on marijuana. Too many of them have seen themselves, or friends, or family struggle with chemo and other issues and know the benefit cannabis provides. I know that medical marijuana is legal in many places, but it needs to be readily available everywhere with zero restrictions on what type is available to a an adult who needs it. 

I'll never forget 15 years ago when one of my best friends called me in tears asking if she could "pay" me for some marijuana I had to help her dad while he was dying from pancreatic cancer. Of course I just gave it to her and offered to give her more anytime they needed it. He had never used it before in his life, but it ended up providing great relief during chemo. 

All that said, right now the most important part of legalizing marijuana is decriminalizing it. It is 100% a winning issue.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

This is really out of touch. Do you know how many adults of all ages and all backgrounds use weed these days? 

Old people have really turned the corner on marijuana. Too many of them have seen themselves, or friends, or family struggle with chemo and other issues and know the benefit cannabis provides. I know that medical marijuana is legal in many places, but it needs to be readily available everywhere with zero restrictions on what type is available to a an adult who needs it. 

I'll never forget 15 years ago when one of my best friends called me in tears asking if she could "pay" me for some marijuana I had to help her dad while he was dying from pancreatic cancer. Of course I just gave it to her and offered to give her more anytime they needed it. He had never used it before in his life, but it ended up providing great relief during chemo. 

All that said, right now the most important part of legalizing marijuana is decriminalizing it. It is 100% a winning issue.

Yeah, so this is the funny part...  when we lived in Houston, we eventually realized lots of people we knew used marijuana but just hid it really well.  We went to a party at a friend's house... well-off, suburban party and there were people hiding between two houses smoking weed.  Fast forward to moving to Austin... nooooooo one hides it here.  I'm not talking about going to Zilker or ACL... I mean, gobs of people... gummies, vape, OG joints.  There are tons that use.  In suburban places like Houston, people like to put on a little facade and hide it so there's more than we realize.  In Austin, it is just out in the open.

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

but are they registered to vote ? there’s a difference between a ‘user’ and a ‘user’ that consistently votes 

Texas deadline is Oct 7. Texas is usually in the bottom 10%’for voter turnout 

100% of medical use should be very low cost to free to all 

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

but are they registered to vote ? there’s a difference between a ‘user’ and a ‘user’ that consistently votes 

I'll give you the first personal example I can think of. 

I play in an annual golf tournament with 40 dudes that are all around 40-50 years old. Vast majority went to private school, grew up in classic conservative families, married with multiple kids, and work in O&G, attorneys, private equity, etc.  Honestly I truly like all of them, but I'd guess that at least 75% are Trump voters (we don't talk politics on this trip, thankfully). 

Every one of them smokes weed or takes gummies. Don't think it would change many of their votes, but it's a no brainer to loudly be pro-marijuana. 

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Come on now. I'm a daily Times reader and while they are incredibly frustrating in trying to "well, both sides" arguments from time to time, there was no doubt they were going to endorse Harris over Trump. 

Trumpists say that "mainstream media" is all liberals, and progressives say that "mainstream media" is conservative.

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Might be anecdotal, but sure seems like Elon has taken off any attempt to curate Twitter feeds based on activity and are just actively pumping pure right wing nonsense to everyone.  Just nonstop bullshit from the moment I logged on today.

Nope that’s exactly what’s happening. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Might be anecdotal, but sure seems like Elon has taken off any attempt to curate Twitter feeds based on activity and are just actively pumping pure right wing nonsense to everyone.  Just nonstop bullshit from the moment I logged on today.

I’m old. I use Twitter for essentially breaking sports or national news. I’d like to pull the plug on it.

If you block Musk and every thing you see that you don’t want to see, after about a month your feed is much better. 

8 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It might be time to stop giving the fascist your clicks, then.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Its truly fucking nuts.  That asshole spent 44 billion of his and the Saudi's money so that he could bombard me with 'promoted' conservative political posts and shitty ads from Sticker Mule.    

1 minute ago, CTC2 said:

I’m old. I use Twitter for essentially breaking sports or national news. I’d like to pull the plug on it.

If you block Musk and every thing you see that you don’t want to see, after about a month your feed is much better. 

Unfortunately Apartheid Karen removed the ability to block Ads unless you pay for his shit product.  So I'm bombarded with conservative ads and promoted posts.  I've blocked thousands of blue check accounts but replies are still full of political ads and bots. 

15 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'll give you the first personal example I can think of. 

I play in an annual golf tournament with 40 dudes that are all around 40-50 years old. Vast majority went to private school, grew up in classic conservative families, married with multiple kids, and work in O&G, attorneys, private equity, etc.  Honestly I truly like all of them, but I'd guess that at least 75% are Trump voters (we don't talk politics on this trip, thankfully). 

Every one of them smokes weed or takes gummies. Don't think it would change many of their votes, but it's a no brainer to loudly be pro-marijuana. 

Those guys DGAF because they’re white and upper class. They’re not going to get pulled over and get popped for a low level weed offense. They can still pull the lever for the GQP and keeping weed illegal because there’s no negative repercussions for them (except, you know, the whole fascism thing).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, royiv said:

Those guys DGAF because they’re white and upper class. They’re not going to get pulled over and get popped for a low level weed offense. They can still pull the lever for the GQP and keeping weed illegal because there’s no negative repercussions for them (except, you know, the whole fascism thing).

100%. But there is no downside to actively being pro-marijuana. Last time I saw a research poll it was down to around 10% of Americans that wanted marijuana to be illegal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Yes, they are registered to vote. Using marijuana doesn't preclude you from being a normal engaged person.

I ate half a gummy one time and I immediately got blood-shot eyes, sprouted a Cheech Marin mustache, and started calling everybody “man,” man. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I know this full interview was posted earlier, but some comments about this clip. 

Mark Cuban is great here. He's not "triggered" or angry, he is patient and friendly with Vonn, and succinctly states his issues with Donald Trump without coming off as arrogant or mean. 

But just watch Theo fucking Vonn. 

Cuban: "Trump has ripped off a lot of people I know."

Vonn: "There have been a lot  alleged issues with contractors."

Cuban "No, people I know have been ripped off." Tells story of co-worker having to sue Trump for not paying her $4 million. 

Vonn:  "But how does someone benefit from behaving like that?"

Cuban says this is who Trump is and all he knows. He was born rich. 

Vonn: "He always had good hair. Rich people always have good hair."  Cuban laughs off a bad joke and total deflection. 

Cuban lists off Trump businesses that have ripped off hardworking Americans. He incredulously laughs at Trump's commemorative coin bullshit. 

Vonn: "That's gangster, bro."

What a fucking joke. Cuban comes on the show in good faith, and Vonn returns the favor by having absolutely no desire to genuinely discuss any of his factual points. Vonn's instincts are to defend Trump, doubt any criticism, and call him a "gangster" with "great hair." 

Vonn's listeners will not take Cuban seriously if Vonn himself doesn't. Which makes these type of interviews pointless IMO.

Idiocracy on full display. I now get why Kamala or Walz shouldn't entertain going on Rogan, Vonn, or any other podcast from these clowns. The fix is already in with these piece of shit Trump apologists. 

That's why I'm all for having Cuban or Pete go on, but no way for Kamala or Walz.

37 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Texas deadline is Oct 7. Texas is usually in the bottom 10%’for voter turnout 

100% of medical use should be very low cost to free to all 

Many years ago, when legalization for medical purposes was being discussed, I heard a radio show host asking people to call in if they used it for medical purposes.

Some dude with a stoner voice calls in and says he uses it every day for two medical conditions...Attention Deficit Disorder and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. 

10 minutes ago, G650 said:

I haven't looked at Twitter in a year and my life is AOK

I follow a couple of accounts professionally (Mostly for House floor updates).  Beyond specifically going to that persons feed and reading it, I don't use it at all.  I haven't looked at my wall in years. 

39 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

stay in "Following" instead of "For You"

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I follow a couple of accounts professionally (Mostly for House floor updates).  Beyond specifically going to that persons feed and reading it, I don't use it at all.  I haven't looked at my wall in years. 

35 minutes ago, royiv said:

And if anyone (daughter, wife, not their wife) in their life has an unwanted pregnancy, flying to another state is not a big deal. They might even be anti-abortion but they believe in exception for themselves.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

47 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If it wasn't for sports I'd have no reason to have a Twitter. Too much good sports information breaks there. Threads needs to step it up!

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I ate half a gummy one time and I immediately got blood-shot eyes, sprouted a Cheech Marin mustache, and started calling everybody “man,” man. 

Asking for, a friend, of course. Eh, which brand was that? 

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If it wasn't for sports I'd have no reason to have a Twitter. Too much good sports information breaks there. Threads needs to step it up!

Yeah, if you follow inside beltway chatter, it's still an essential tool.  I don't mean campaign hot takes, but like what's actually happening in the House and Senate Caucuses in real time or the floor.  I couldn't do my job without Olivia Beavers, Jake Sherman, John Bresnahan, Sarah Ferris, etc. Used to be Manu Raju, but he got promoted to TV fulltime and isn't creeping around in the basement of the Senate anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Good friend of mine; his FIL is close to 90.   Some years ago, he had some kind of back injury from his job, and the remedy was about 5 lbs of stainless shit they put around his spine.  As you can imagine it, things did not go well and he had it all removed sometime after that.  Since that time, he has had back pain, trouble walking, quality of life stuff.  Also, he was a deacon in a Baptist church, for another data point.

Then medical weed was approved in his state.   His daughter and granddaughter wondered if it would do him any good, so they talked him into a script.  He didn't want to smoke, so chocolate edibles was his preferred method of delivery.  That's been 3-4 years ago, and he was a changed man overnight.  He can sleep, he doesn't have the back pain, etc.  Once every 2 weeks or so he goes to his local dispensary, gets a refill and that's that.  He hasn't had to take any of the multiple prescription meds he was on to manage his pain.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Good friend of mine; his FIL is close to 90.   Some years ago, he had some kind of back injury from his job, and the remedy was about 5 lbs of stainless shit they put around his spine.  As you can imagine it, things did not go well and he had it all removed sometime after that.  Since that time, he has had back pain, trouble walking, quality of life stuff.  Also, he was a deacon in a Baptist church, for another data point.

Then medical weed was approved in his state.   His daughter and granddaughter wondered if it would do him any good, so they talked him into a script.  He didn't want to smoke, so chocolate edibles was his preferred method of delivery.  That's been 3-4 years ago, and he was a changed man overnight.  He can sleep, he doesn't have the back pain, etc.  Once every 2 weeks or so he goes to his local dispensary, gets a refill and that's that.  He hasn't had to take any of the multiple prescription meds he was on to manage his pain.

Bet he still thinks it's the devil and is voting Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Bet he still thinks it's the devil and is voting Trump. 

Probably.  I mean, Troy is level headed, isn't overly political, I've never heard him complain about immigration, etc.  But, yeah.  He's a poster child for the effectivness of cannabis on quality of life.  Where he once used a walker, he now walks normally.

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Have them hang out at Whitewater Amphitheater with their weed... they might change their tune.  Know quite a few people popped there.