2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Weird fantasy. How about we are just indifferent and happy to have him out of our political lives, and the fantasy is Sydney Sweeney?

whoah, we agree on something. marking the date and time

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Go the fuck away

100% this, just go away. in some capacity. I don't care. just get out of our fucking lives you fat sack of diapered shit

As others said, I hope he’s the nominee in 2028 whether he wins or loses this year.  2032?  Even better.  

Dude, I cannot handle this kind of stress every four years. We are one Wall Street crash away from that semi-sentient turd having the keys to the White House, again. I long for the days that having someone like John McCain in the office is my biggest fear.
  • Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Dude, I cannot handle this kind of stress every four years. We are one Wall Street crash away from that semi-sentient turd having the keys to the White House, again. I long for the days that having someone like John McCain in the office is my biggest fear.

I love stress.  If you gave me a billion dollars to go sit on a beach I couldn’t do it.  Of course I would choose a massive heart attack for this asshole, if given the choice… But if there’s a fight to be had, bring it.  

• Hook 'Em 4

I noticed in the last couple of speeches, they've had Black people in the crowd behind him, but just skimming through the video, they spend most of their time looking down at their phones, only doing anything when people stand up (there's a Black guy behind Trump's left shoulder in a white/gray hoodie who seems to stay out of sight most of the time, but he's also looking at his phone).

trump1.thumb.jpg.6f15e26813088e333928d358b8c86deb.jpg

Did somebody say unions?  That group in the obnoxious shirts behind him were Teamsters, and all of those obnoxious shirts are pulled over other clothes, making me wonder if they just handed them out at the rally

trump2.thumb.jpg.6d0c5ab9bb849f131c4830f3805b3c6f.jpg

• Haha 7
  • Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Same. The stress sucks. I had the daily worry women and LBGQ friends have over this wretched pustule.

I fear that Trump has shown other politicians that there is no consequence for lying, no limit on the outrageousness of those lies or any real need to have Any substantative position on anything. Say one thing to one group and the exact opposite to another group? No consequences.

At a play last night in Lakeway; old ass lady walks up and tells me how handsome I am and that I look like JD Vance and she hopes I share her political viewpoint. (I do not look like him and my wife was like wtf This shit just creeps into everything all the time.  I can't drive to dinner without seeing "no balls in women's sports" and other bs a dozen times.  It fucking sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Because in 2024 America, particularly for the men who dominate many blue collar ranks, it has become more important to hate the "other," defined as "any and all groups smaller and weaker than yours," than it is to support someone who might actually make things better for everyone.

I think this generation of blue collar workers are weird. Whether or not they are in a union, they are mad about not being able to reach the American dream the middle class could access when the unions were at their peak, but many of them take all the basic things the labor movement got them for granted, which are now at risk.

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That would defy literally every poll that has been taken to date. They’d all have to have been off by orders of magnitude for them to be able to call it early without the million plus mail in ballots. Even if the pollsters are all herding, that seems…pretty fucking unlikely. 

Like I’m about to fuck Sydney Sweeney unlikely. 

You will never be physically intimate with Sydney Sweeney. It is very possible that the election will be called by midnight East coast time on Election Day.

1) the direction of polling error has tended to be consistent and 

2) pollsters adjust to error based on previous results. 

A 2% miss in favor of Harris is a Harris Landslide. A 2% miss the other way is a comfortably clear Trump electoral win.  Both are very possible.

people also forget that 2024 isn’t 2020. The nature of turnout will be much more conventionally weighted to in-person voting. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I love stress.  If you gave me a billion dollars to go sit on a beach I couldn’t do it.  Of course I would choose a massive heart attack for this asshole, if given the choice… But if there’s a fight to be had, bring it.  

WTF

I'd be gone tomorrow for a couple million.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

WTF

Yep. Mrs. Wood (no [pics) and I retired for far less, combined, and we're doing great. Give me a couple million, and we'll live like royalty.

Knock on wood. (I can just knock on my head when I say that, so I got that goin' for me, which is nice)

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think this generation of blue collar workers are weird. Whether or not they are in a union, they are mad about not being able to reach the American dream the middle class could access when the unions were at their peak, but many of them take all the basic things the labor movement got them for granted, which are now at risk.

My brother in law is a union plumber in CA.  He's made as much 150k a year and oftentimes he gets paid to sleep in his car for hours. Raising four kids on his income and his daughter just started at UCSB. He can't wait to move to TX or FL to flee the liberal policies of CA.  He'd do fine in Austin, but good luck elsewhere.

Locally a lot of blue collar guys are Maga because of media consumption- fox, talk radio, Joe Rogan.  For vast majority it's guns and just being anti PC. Not a lot of thought goes into it. Even Mexicans.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Musk is going to be at Trump's PA rally.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/musk-attend-trump-rally-pennsylvania-site-july-assassination-attempt-2024-10-04/

No idea who is pushing this, but it's getting some traction in the media - Trump's refusal to release his health records.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ar-AA1rE80d

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

In the '70s, it was a big deal if your tuition bill topped $100. If you had a good summer job, you could pay for the year. If you worked oil rigs or something like that, you could live like a god. I returned to graduate in the mid 80s and it was still less than maybe $400? 

My beloved had daughters graduating high school in the first few years of this century. I was dumbfounded and furious when I heard about what had happened to college costs. Guaranteed loans for banks who face no risk. No reason other than decency and an understanding of public university education to keep the colleges from raising fees in tacit collusion.

I'm glad to be a Longhorn, but I can't exactly say that I love the University. Money grubbing cunts.

That’s not a UT thing. It’s a state of Texas thing. 

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

WTF

Ive said that many times, but yet here I am still working. Its harder to walk away than one thinks, but I can see that day happening more clearly every passing minute. One of my buddies and I were joking on a jobsite today actually if someone came up with the right offer we would hand over the keys to our companies tomorrow.

58 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

My brother in law is a union plumber in CA.  He's made as much 150k a year and oftentimes he gets paid to sleep in his car for hours. Raising four kids on his income and his daughter just started at UCSB. He can't wait to move to TX or FL to flee the liberal policies of CA.  He'd do fine in Austin, but good luck elsewhere.

Locally a lot of blue collar guys are Maga because of media consumption- fox, talk radio, Joe Rogan.  For vast majority it's guns and just being anti PC. Not a lot of thought goes into it. Even Mexicans.

What does he say when you point out he only makes that kind of money because he’s in CA?

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

The bullet was not close enough to his ear to do any damage (if it had been close enough, the damage would have been much greater). The best explanation I've seen is that the bleeding was caused by his fingernail.

https://www.threads.net/@clancy123457/post/C93DY0exr_3

I saw a pretty convincing video that showed him hitting his ear on the holster of one of the SS agents when they ducked down, which could have caused the bleeding.  Honestly seems plausible as hell when you rewatch the footage.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, wood said:

Your experience with actual firefighters must be very limited then.

One of my hiking buddies is a retired LA County firefighter and one of the best people I’ve ever met.

I also lived across the street from the firehouse on 30th street for 6 years and they were always super nice and helpful.  

I also toured around with Guy Forsyth for a few years in my 20s and his sister was a firefighter and we used to play one of their annual events and they were all great.

Mucho respect to firefighters from me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I saw a pretty convincing video that showed him hitting his ear on the holster of one of the SS agents when they ducked down, which could have caused the bleeding.  Honestly seems plausible as hell, when you rewatch the footage.

I guarantee if an intrepid reporter had Trump's attention and asked him to give the name of the attendee who died, he would not remember the name of Corey Comperatore.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

A real quote from Trump: "FEMA has no money because the Biden/Harris administration gave it all to illegal immigrants, a large percentage of which are murderers."

That has been the main Fox News story all day. Sigh. 

31 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

One of my hiking buddies is a retired LA County firefighter and one of the best people I’ve ever met.

I also lived across the street from the firehouse on 30th street for 6 years and they were always super nice and helpful.  

I also toured around with Guy Forsyth for a few years in my 20s and his sister was a firefighter and we used to play one of their annual events and they were all great.

Mucho respect to firefighters from me. 

Gracias senor! Yeah, Station 3. I worked there a few times in my career, filling in for minimum staffing needs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

1) the direction of polling error has tended to be consistent and 

2) pollsters adjust to error based on previous results. 

It's weird how much people refuse to believe #2 based on 2 previous elections,  one of which was during a pandemic that fucked everything up