2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Mind numbing that we have a ex-President/current candidate that communicates in this manner.

We really are well into the Idiocracy world.

Seriously.  Imagine the CEO of a publicly traded company who made such an infantile public statement.  The fucking stock price would drop 25% that day, with good reason.

And we're about to appoint that man to the highest position on planet Earth.  Fucking amazing.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seriously.  Imagine the CEO of a publicly traded company who made such an infantile public statement.  The fucking stock price would drop 25% that day, with good reason.

And we're about to appoint that man to the highest position on planet Earth.  Fucking amazing.

It used to be a skill to put someone down but not be blunt about it. The type of insult that went over the head of a less intelligent person. Trump's insults are walking up to you and slapping you in the face.

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The Republican Party of AZ is batshit crazy.  They make Texas Republicans look moderate.  It's because those people like the in actual desert.  Not Phoenix, but the actual real desert middle of nowhere.

nascarman on X: "Random fact: in the 1997 film Vegas Vacation, Cousin Eddie  can be seen repeatedly drinking from NASCAR-edition Busch cans  https://t.co/stlPdp5nCO" / X

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Harris now talking about seeing U2 at the Sphere.  

....and...that vignette alone will lock up the Mrs. Brisket vote.  She thought the U2 show at the Sphere was one of the most incredible musical experiences of her life.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Isn't this stupid cunt getting classified reports now?  Any info he gets goes straight to Putin.  The motherfucker needs to be executed. 

Biden shut the classified briefings to him off some time ago.

https://apnews.com/biden-says-erratic-trump-shouldnt-get-intel-briefings-44b9f2c7204e482b55a2d03077a4c5bf

Edited by dcbc
To add link
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

9 minutes ago, tx ind said:

See! It's Biden's fault that dotard has to call Putin and Bibi to get the news.

At one point, Trump said he didn't want the briefings so that he wouldn't be accused of leaking classified information.

Really.  Just couldn't help himself.  He's the opposite of an intelligence asset.

https://www.axios.com/2024/08/22/trump-decline-intelligence-briefings-leak

Edited by dcbc
Adding link

I heard someone say this probably six months ago and haven’t heard it since. “Trump is enemies with our friends and friends with our enemies.”

Add it to the pile of things that would work well in an ad, but we won’t see it because they can’t make a billion hours of ads trashing him.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I heard someone say this probably six months ago and haven’t heard it since. “Trump is enemies with our friends and friends with our enemies.”

Add it to the pile of things that would work well in an ad, but we won’t see it because they can’t make a billion hours of ads trashing him.

Not a new statement, but I was reminded last week that if you begin with the idea that Trump is a Russian asset, nearly everything he does and says makes sense.

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It used to be a skill to put someone down but not be blunt about it. The type of insult that went over the head of a less intelligent person. Trump's insults are walking up to you and slapping you in the face.

He's too cowardly in person for this analogy to work. He's just and angry boomer key board warrior that can't stop whining.

Edited by Born to Run

I knew Arizona was crazy, but that 60 minutes segment was fucking nuts. And the people these crazy Rs flock to and follow are such pathetic nobodys.

True. But the state did vote for a D governor and 2 senators for the first time in forever. So who knows.
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

51c112eabc0b5d3fdbc7259ebd62f4bf.gif

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Hopefully this will be costs instead of money going to private equity companies nursing homes.

But man just giving money to Americans gets abused pretty fast. I would hope most of it would end up going to elder care.

Even if some abuse it, some won't. That alone likely a net benefit. And if the elder in question chooses to go into a home, well, that will still be an option too. We can't legislate to account for every shitty human out there. 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Is that a real statement? Internet comment sections have become the standard for all communication.

Tell me you haven't been paying attention to these threads and Trump's truth social statements without telling me. 

27 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Not a new statement, but I was reminded last week that if you begin with the idea that Trump is a Russian asset, nearly everything he does and says makes sense.

This is compelling, but at the end of the day I can't agree with it. Becuase it would ipmly that as an asset, he's actually excelled at being a Russian asset, and I just can't square that this motherfucker has done anything competent in his life. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is compelling, but at the end of the day I can't agree with it. Becuase it would ipmly that as an asset, he's actually excelled at being a Russian asset, and I just can't square that this motherfucker has done anything competent in his life. 

That's a good point. More likely, he's simply their useful idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1

The home healthcare pay for family providers is such a great idea.  How many families simply can't afford in home care of any sort, and the ultimate result is that the person in need winds up in a state run facility which is called something crappy like "Shady Pines" but is really just indigent care?  And as for that indigent care, what does that actually cost?  I'm guessing a solid several thousand dollars a month if not more.  Instead, paying a family member $1500 a month or something along those lines would result in financial ease for those in that situation, the ability to actually care for a loved one nearing the end in their home, and save taxpayers money.  It's a win on so many levels.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Guilty as charged. It is shocking.

Don't keep going down the rabbit hole. It will just lead to uncontrollable sorrow as to where we are as a country and what we've become. What you just read was child's play compared to some of the poison he's spouted recently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I feel like engaging in "diplomacy" when you are not, in fact, an elected or appointed official of the United States and acting in that capacity, is in fact, quite illegal. I'm pretty sure it's called the fucking Logan Act. 

mr-burns.gif

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

the term you're looking for is "unwitting accomplice".

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

A Russian Holding?  A useful idiot?  We can find some common ground here.

13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That's a good point. More likely, he's simply their useful idiot.

Beat me to it.

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I feel like engaging in "diplomacy" when you are not, in fact, an elected or appointed official of the United States and acting in that capacity, is in fact, quite illegal. I'm pretty sure it's called the fucking Logan Act. 

Could also be interesting from a FARA perspective, which has been enforced several times in recent years.  But I assume it would need to be shown that Trump got payment for it.  

Recent notable cases

Edited by Tuco

2 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

Exactly - I would guess when this is scored that it’s actually cheaper to care for Seniors in their homes as it eliminates all of the facility costs associated with nursing homes.

Medicare expends exactly zero on those facility costs.  There is no benefit for it.

Now, health care in declining years, for falls and whatnot from elders left at home because people can't afford a healthcare worker, that's maybe another thing to consider.

12 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Could also be interesting from a FARA perspective, which has been enforced several times in recent years.  But I assume it would need to be shown that Trump got payment for it.  

Recent notable cases

The Logan Act is less than a paper tiger.  They ought to narrow it a bit or just take it off the books entirely so we can quit fantasizing about prosecutions that are never going to be brought or will be dismissed over First Amendment concerns.

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Logan Act is less than a paper tiger.  They ought to narrow it a bit or just take it off the books entirely so we can quit fantasizing about prosecutions that are never going to be brought or will be dismissed over First Amendment concerns.

Which is why I brought up FARA.  

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Medicare expends exactly zero on those facility costs.  There is no benefit for it.

Now, health care in declining years, for falls and whatnot from elders left at home because people can't afford a healthcare worker, that's maybe another thing to consider.

It sounds like engaging in Diplomacy being illegal when he is not an elected or appointed offiical of the US government is still an illegal act. Which is what dumbshit claimed it wasn't. 

Whether or not we decide to bring prosecution to bear on people who do illegal shit seems like an entirely different fucking problem. As opposed to saying "Well, no one will charge him so it's not really illegal."

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Correct, but MedicAID does cover facility costs (for exactly the low-income type of folks being discussed here).  Any plan that would take Medicaid out of the picture for Grandma Kettle at the nursing home by instead spending a similar amount of Medicare dollars on Grandma Kettle is a good outcome.

Honestly, it's not much different than the analysis that's been done on hospitalization: the sooner you can get a patient out of the hospital at home, you get the win-win of reducing hospitalization costs AND leading to better patient recovery and outcomes.

42 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think that's true. From Wiki:  The Logan Act (1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799) is a United States federal law that criminalizes the negotiation of a dispute between the United States and a foreign government by an unauthorized American citizen. The intent behind the Act is to prevent unauthorized negotiations from undermining the government's position.

So if Trump wasn't negotiating a dispute, it would appear he's free to talk to whomever he wants.