2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Trump's Womens Issues town hall appearance this morning on Fox is chock full of goodness:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1846567409315987655.html

FAULKER: How can we help people afford bacon?

TRUMP: There wouldn't have been a Ukraine and Russia. There wouldn't have been an October 7.

Trump seems to think humanitarian parole status for immigrants is the same thing as being on probation after you are convicted of a crime

Q: What policies would you implement to help hurricane-affected families and business recover?

TRUMP: We give hundreds and billions of dollars to foreign countries, many of which you've never heard of

Q: What can you do to make having children more affordable?

TRUMP: You never heard of Ivanka, right?

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Happy for you that it's all so clear and simple.  

And true.  You seem to be stumbling over this. These impacts are real.   You not caring about these people to be hurt defines you, at this moment.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, texas08 said:

Let’s see how many “a strange man trying to disguise himself is walking around my house” reports the neighborhood patrol gets. 

Already got a confused angry look from a boomer riding a golf cart. 

ITS ON. 

IMG_9431.jpeg

You wear Under Armour? Tuberville used to shill for them. I'm gonna keep an eye on you.

18 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Sorry, but the people who invited me and hosted the cookout used those exact words. 

MIA, ever been to a black BBQ?

Fuck yea I have.

Alright bring some potato salad and there best be no motherfucking raisins in it.

Raisins in potato salad? OK, now you're just making shit up.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

Yep. That book really lays bare a frightening truth: the real fuel powering the engine of fascism is not the extremists. It’s common people too blinded by normalcy bias to see where all the baby steps lead. They aren’t what you would think of as evil or even bad people. They’re just optimistic or stupid or not paying attention, and it’s easier to assume things are under control and will always be fine. These frogs get slowly boiled until they have blood on their hands. 

Agreed.  I find this most troublesome from people who believe the myth that "it has always been this way [no, it hasn't], therefore it WILL always be this way [which it can, but only if we choose the right path]."  You show them the parallels between Weimer Germany, with a rising Nazi party and they scoff.  I ask if they would like a one party, religious based government and point to Iran.  They scoff.  "That would never happen here."  Bullshit it would never happen here.  It's happening.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

My dad tried using the 'weaponized DOJ line on me'.  I responded that we both know he committed all of the crimes he's accused of and that's the DOJ's job - to prosecute criminals.  He got silent after that.  I'm sure no minds were changed, but at least he STFU.

I hate this so much.  I have a lot of bones to pick with FBI/DOJ and state authorities on prosecutorial discretion and charging of criminal offenses, along with sentencing.

Those are legit questions.

But Trump has always been a grimy little pimp criminal and he raised his profile just enough to get stung for it when maybe others are not.  With all my objections to these various charging decisions, I don't have a problem with those against Trump.  Well-deserved.  

But all of this boils down to fucking opinion, basically.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

But all of this boils down to fucking opinion, basically.  

But let's not forget the "opinion" of the MAGAs that matter: criminal laws are NOT intended for white people with money.  Criminal laws have one purpose: to keep "those people" in line.

It might as well be engraved in stone in the MAGA party's platform: "We are the in-group who laws protect, but do not bind -- everyone else is an out-group who laws bind, but do not protect."

These people are fucking fascist pieces of shit, and I am resigned to the fact that they will never suffer enough punishment and pain to make up for the pain and suffering they inflict.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

You wear Under Armour? Tuberville used to shill for them. I'm gonna keep an eye on you.

I think this shirt is like 10 years old. I’ll burn it in a fire now that I know this.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I've seen a lot of racism expressed because I'm mayonnaise white and the racists thought that I would automatically agree with them.  Like I'm part of their safe space.  When I push back, they shut up.  It's not guilt, they just don't want the push back.

I get this quite a bit too living in East Texas. People are outright shocked when they get push back. I think it's just something they very rarely encounter in their day to day.

• Hook 'Em 5

He can't just say supportive things. He has to know the most about IVF, and he has to be the father of IVF, after a two minute conversation where it was explained to him what IVF is.

Just wait until all the people who lied about "Gore inventing the internet" hear about this. They will be outraged. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Some of these splits in similar voting states are drunk af.

Quinnipiac has Georgia Trump +7 and NC Harris +2. 

They will not vote 9 points apart.... and all of the Blue Wall will be within 1-2 points of each other. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Not necessarily.  Most of the bigots I know keep their mouths shut so that they won't face the social consequences of expressing their bigotry.  Remove the social pressure to not openly express their bigotry, and they'll let the hate flow.  We've seen that with trump opening that door for them.

I've seen a lot of racism expressed because I'm mayonnaise white and the racists thought that I would automatically agree with them.  Like I'm part of their safe space.  When I push back, they shut up.  It's not guilt, they just don't want the push back.

Yep. I'm an over-50 white dude with a salt and pepper beard and a pickup truck. They just assume I'm one of them. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

50 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

It happens at white BBQs.

Listen, I've seen some wild shit.  You ever have ambrosia? 

Ambrosia

But with god as my witness, I have never seen raisins in potato salad.  Also German hot potato salad is the shit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3
  • Drool 2

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yep. I'm an over-50 white dude with a salt and pepper beard and a pickup truck. They just assume I'm one of them. 

Ditto.  I've heard some wild stuff while visiting Texas for business (sorry, Texas, but I do not hear that stuff in CO).

30 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I get this quite a bit too living in East Texas. People are outright shocked when they get push back. I think it's just something they very rarely encounter in their day to day.

This is essentially the story of my Jr. High/High School experience...until I was able to leave.  It's still there when I go back, just a little tempered because times have changed.  But the underlying beliefs haven't.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Same. And the "White Supremacist" sharing with me is usually some sort of genetically stunted Care Bear that I wouldn't even let on the long boat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Remember when Al Gore made a sort of awkward but largely accurate statement about his role in the early development of the internet that got misrepresented as him claiming that he "invented" the internet and it almost ruined his political career? Yeah, I 'member.

Edited by 'stache
  • Rage+1 4

7 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This is essentially the story of my Jr. High/High School experience...until I was able to leave.  It's still there when I go back, just a little tempered because times have changed.  But the underlying beliefs haven't.

If East Texas is anything like Alabama, the old fossils haven't changed (but sometimes know when to shut up) and the under-40s are comparatively enlightened. Barring Fraternity Row.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, locodos said:

Listen, I've seen some wild shit.  You ever have ambrosia

But with god as my witness, I have never seen raisins in potato salad.  Also German hot potato salad is the shit.

For a 2-3 year period in 79-81 or so, my mom and dad would have these revolving dinner party things once a month in the fall and winter, where co-workers came, parents of co-workers, extended family, etc.  It was a wholesome thing.  Had it at our home a few times, went to other houses as well.  

There was one woman;  mother of someone.  Probably in her mid-late 60's at the time.  Came by herself.

She always brought a big mixing bowl of this concoction.

As a 12 year old, I was repulsed by the sight of it.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Yep. That book really lays bare a frightening truth: the real fuel powering the engine of fascism is not the extremists. It’s common people too blinded by normalcy bias to see where all the baby steps lead. They aren’t what you would think of as evil or even bad people. They’re just optimistic or stupid or not paying attention, and it’s easier to assume things are under control and will always be fine. These frogs get slowly boiled until they have blood on their hands. 

A million times this.  

It's not the obvious, blatant bigots who nearly everyone agrees can get fucked.  It's the people who turn a blind away or explain away the bigotry and let it flourish.

Just now, lemonlime said:

A million times this.  

It's not the obvious, blatant bigots who nearly everyone agrees can get fucked.  It's the people who turn a blind away or explain away the bigotry and let it flourish.

Basically, people that have no issue trampling someone else's liberty, but will scream bloody murder the second they are inconvenienced.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, safe sex said:

Did your parents keep a basket by the front door for everyone to put their keys in?

Nah.  Hell, there wasn't even booze.  House full of Baptists.

On another note, here's another gem from Trump's whatever that was earlier today:

• Haha 1