2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

4 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

This is a long video, but worth the watch when you have time. David Pakman is a prominent leftist podcaster, I don't know this other guy Sean Kelly but he is a young Trumper and has 1 million subscribers. 

Fascinating and genuine look into what we're up against due to disinformation algorithms and preferred media. Sean Kelly is truly a misinformed idiot, but I give him credit to being open to arguments and new information he is presented with. Pakman is fantastic...patient, sympathetic, and not demeaning when trying to get his point across. As frustrating as it to watch a person be so fucking stupid, the best approach is to treat them with respect and calmly interact. Even if they don't deserve it. 

i watched it, and it's good. i also don't know who sean kelly is, but recognized him from few short clips on twitter. i agree that he seems open to new information he is presented with, if only because he must have so much fucking practice doing it, because he was absolutely clueless.

he's a "trump supporter", but may not vote at all, and is not sure he's registered, even though he lives in a swing state. he didn't know shit about trump or his history or his policies or his politics nor did he back up his decision to be a supporter with...anything at all. shit, if he spent more time with pakman, he'd probably switch sides, if he didn't (i assume) owe his entire livelihood to yapping to the right flank.

he let pakman run circles around him (which is easy, because kelly was standing completely still). hopefully pakman, like pete before him, is aggressively seeking out these right-wing platforms to talk sense to an audience who likely, like kelly himself, makes no effort to educate themselves. i give him credit for not pushing back, i guess, but it's hard to push back when you literally have no facts (or opinions) on the matters being discussed. "oh i didn't know that" was basically his catch phrase.

obviously, none of this is new. trump voters are low-education voters. low-information citizens. they pride themselves on it. trump loves the uneducated. no fucking shit. white, non-college is his best demo by far.

as a country we've long been divided but only recently (the past ~25 years) has it been so largely based on where we get our information. the myth is that when trump does something, msnbc says "trump bad" while fox news says "trump good". the truth is that msnbc says "trump bad", and fox news says "hunter biden laptop".

it always reminds me of the leadup to the 2nd bartlett election on the west wing, where he's running against the florida gov, played brilliantly by james brolin, who's meant to be a w knockoff, but has more than enough trump overlap. toby and josh struggle with a candidate like that. a candidate that's "good for all time zones". a simple man for simple voters.

toby bemoans a press conference moment where brolin is asked how he'll deal with china, and his response was "i'm gonna show china what a real american leader looks like", to which toby says, "i don't know what that means, but everybody stood up and cheered". and of course josh responds with, "right, which is why i work full time for his opponent."

"is it possible we would be willing to require any less of the person sitting in that chair?  the low road?"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

the betting markets reflect mainly who are putting money down on what. A fool and his money and all, and trump said it best: he loves the ignorant.

Right and I get with low limits it's hard to shift odds but seems a bit surprising as you would think there would be enough following data closely to flip it back at favorable odds.  I had a private bookie back in the Obama/McCain election who had odds on the election back when I was betting far more frequently (haven't placed a bet outside of Vegas in years).  There was a big shift to even right when Palin was announced which created some temporary momentum (before she became a liability).  I put $1K down as soon as odds were even and it was easiest $1K I ever made.  I'm not following polls closely, but if there is compelling data that is still reflecting Harris as a slight favorite, seems like there is good value to be had right now if one were inclined.

59 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Sometimes I think Helo has to be a guy doing a bit, but if so he's incredibly committed to it and you gotta remember that there are in fact a lot of guys who are just like that in this world. 

I've always wondered if him and Rocco were around at the same time?  Didn't Rocco disappear right around when Helo started posting? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

You know, this "can you name 3 things you like about the other candidate" questions sound like the people asking them expect everyone to go, oh wow, they can give a compliment, they're so civil. But Trump's been the world's biggest asshole for 12 years now. I'm actually so much happier that, no, Kamala couldn't list 3 things she likes about Trump, because it shows she has a fucking spine and won't just bark on command. Trump being able to prattle off 3 platitudes about Kamala only tells me that he can lie out of his fucking teeth about anything, he doesn't stand for a single thing. Like, who the fuck wants someone who would be able to praise a convicted felon who is literally a rapist?

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I've always wondered if him and Rocco were around at the same time?  Didn't Rocco disappear right around when Helo started posting? 

Rocco was an old dude in his 50's who lived in Hawaii. Helobious's intimage knowledge with every midget high school football player with a hispanic name, all of whom should or will be five star world killers at the collegiate level, makes him being the same person as Rocko quite unlikely. 

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

That's my bat signal. 

giphy.gif

My man. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Rocco was an old dude in his 50's who lived in Hawaii. Helobious's intimage knowledge with every midget high school football player with a hispanic name, all of whom should or will be five star world killers at the collegiate level, makes him being the same person as Rocko quite unlikely. 

My man. 

Ah, I don't follow closely enough.  I just remember Rocco being so damn confident, but so damn wrong...over and over. 

• Haha 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t believe he was in his 50s. He had said he went to San Antonio Warren high school which isn’t an old school. He was impressed that I had heard of the 2 receivers they had that were at NIU at the time. That’s kind of all I remember about him. And that he was known for the paystub thing

1 minute ago, hookem2010 said:

I always think of him as the corvette and paystub guy. Is that right?

Paystub guy is greenspoint. Rocko was the guy who bought a suit to sleep with some hookers and left the tag on so he could return it. He posted pics with the price tag still hanging off the wrist, IIRC. Then again I apprently didn't remember his age correctly, so...

6 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I'm getting old.  Was Rocko the one who responded with *yawn all the time?

Not sure why I thought he was the guy who showed up to his neighbors with a bottle of wine -- but that was someone else, correct?

I think that was the guy who claimed to be a scratch golfer …in the dark

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Paystub guy is greenspoint. Rocko was the guy who bought a suit to sleep with some hookers and left the tag on so he could return it. He posted pics with the price tag still hanging off the wrist, IIRC. Then again I apprently didn't remember his age correctly, so...

Rocko was the original paystub flop out guy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I trust (insert pretty much any name here) over Helio when it comes to what the black community thinks of these "rappers" supporting Trump  everything fucking imaginable.

fixed ...

3 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

I voted Trump the first time, voted Biden second time and will absolutely be voting for Kamala. I laugh at myself sometimes how much I have changed and a lot of it is getting older and having a kid. I don’t see myself ever going back republican but I always try to keep an open mind plus it shows what one shitty candidate can do to a party. 

Este

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 hours ago, BamaATL said:

2.  Women have now outpaced men by 58k

New/2020 non-voters and simple high turnout can mean different things in this election, and we won't really know what until after the fact when data is available. 

This one, though. This is good.

The sanewashing is insane. 

If Harris bailed on a town hall and said “Hey let’s just play music instead” and stood there awkwardly swaying back and forth for 40 minutes….. we as a nation, like everyone, would have had a week long serious conversation about what had happened to her mind. People would be openly wondering if she had a stroke, etc. and if there is a mechanism available to replace her.
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

If Harris bailed on a town hall and said “Hey let’s just play music instead” and stood there awkwardly swaying back and forth for 40 minutes….. we as a nation, like everyone, would have had a week long serious conversation about what had happened to her mind. People would be openly wondering if she had a stroke, etc. and if there is a mechanism available to replace her.

Not to mention cancelling interviews.  Or an event with the most GOP-friendly organization that exists, the NRA

• Hook 'Em 2