2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

I spent most of Monday at the state fair. It was very interesting. I saw a ton of people wearing Harris Walz hats and Harris Walz shirts. I also saw an older African-American guy walking around with wearing a shirt that said “Trump Deez Nutz”. 
I saw one skinny Hispanic teenager wearing a red MAGA hat, and he was being clowned behind his back.
Of course, you could say that was Dallas and Dallas is not like the rest of Texas, and that’s true. Dallas is full of people and the rest of Texas is mostly empty. I hat said, in 2016 and 2020 I saw lots of MAGA hats and almost no evidence of support for Clinton or Biden.
My point is that I just don’t see the enthusiasm the way that we used to for Trump or the Trump campaign right now, and I see more enthusiasm than I have seen for an Democratic presidential campaign since 2008.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I spent most of Monday at the state fair. It was very interesting. I saw a ton of people wearing Harris Walz hats and Harris Walz shirts. I also saw an older African-American guy walking around with wearing a shirt that said “Trump Deez Nutz”. 
I saw one skinny Hispanic teenager wearing a red MAGA hat, and he was being clowned behind his back.
Of course, you could say that was Dallas and Dallas is not like the rest of Texas, and that’s true. Dallas is full of people and the rest of Texas is mostly empty. I hat said, in 2016 and 2020 I saw lots of MAGA hats and almost no evidence of support for Clinton or Biden.
My point is that I just don’t see the enthusiasm the way that we used to for Trump or the Trump campaign right now, and I see more enthusiasm than I have seen for an Democratic presidential campaign since 2008.

The enthusiasm gap is clear, their ground game sucks, ours is good, and Trump is visibly dying in front of the world every time he appears in public. You hate to see it.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

In a video or something? Cause in the video he said he was a former republican hoping Trump would win him back. Can you post the follow up?

1 hour ago, Haphap said:

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If people would stick to values and principles instead of a party then "going back Republican" shouldn't even be an idea in anyone's head. If something really weird happens and Democrats become the insane shitheads and Republicans become the party actually trying to be sane and govern then I'd have no issue voting for them. 

Yep. 

I will never again vote for an -ism or an -ology.

9 minutes ago, bolverk said:

If any of you know any Ukraine supporters who unfathomably still support Trump, please share.

image.png.377d633ad3cadc10479bf034ea703802.png
https://www.threads.net/@thereelrandom_/post/DBPVtxRSzNx

Trump blames Ukraine's Zelenskiy for starting war with Russia

WASHINGTON, Oct 17 (Reuters) - Donald Trump on Thursday blamed Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy for helping start that nation's war with Russia, a comment that further suggests Trump is likely to radically shift U.S. policy toward Ukraine if he wins the Nov. 5 election.

The Republican former president has frequently criticized Zelenskiy on the campaign trail, repeatedly calling him "the greatest salesman on Earth" for having solicited and received billions of dollars of U.S. military aid since the war broke out in 2022.

Trump has also slammed the Ukrainian leader for failing to seek peace with Moscow, and he has suggested Ukraine may have to cede some of its land to Russia to make a peace deal, a concession Kyiv considers unacceptable.

Trump's comments on the PBD Podcast on Thursday with Patrick Bet-David went a step further than his previous criticism. He said Zelenskiy was to blame not just for failing to end the war, but for helping start it, even though the conflict broke out when Russia invaded Ukrainian sovereign territory.

"That doesn't mean I don't want to help him because I feel very badly for those people. But he should never have let that war start. The war's a loser," Trump said.
Zelenskiy presented his "victory plan" to end the war to Trump during a meeting in New York in September, an encounter both leaders described as cordial.

Trump's public comments, however, suggest he could seek to wind down aid for Ukraine if he defeats Vice President Kamala Harris, the Democratic nominee, on Nov. 5. He has repeatedly said he could end the conflict before he takes office in January, but he has not said how.

Harris has pledged to continue supporting Ukraine, and she has portrayed a victory for the eastern European nation as a vital U.S. national security interest. She has frequently rebuked Trump for being unwilling to stand up to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

I refuse to believe there are any Ukrainians who support trump. That's simply not possible. The entire reason Trump was impeached the first time was because he was extorting Zelinsky for aid in exchange for making up dirt on Joe Biden. It gave us this hilarious clip:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The signs of this are everywhere. People walking out of half-filled arenas in the middle of Trump's speeches, dozens of former staffers coming out against him, low ratings and zero energy at the RNC. I haven't seen one MAGA hat in person in the last 4 years. I noticed a bump in pro-Trump conversations after the Biden debate debacle, but that all dissipated after Kamala became the nominee.

Literally the only signs of Trump doing well are polls and social media engagement. The latter is definitely being cooked by Elon, bots, trolls, foreign influence, etc. We'll find out soon enough about the polling. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

The signs of this are everywhere. People walking out of half-filled arenas in the middle of Trump's speeches, dozens of former staffers coming out against him, low ratings and zero energy at the RNC. I haven't seen one MAGA hat in person in the last 4 years. I noticed a bump in pro-Trump conversations after the Biden debate debacle, but that all dissipated after Kamala became the nominee.

Literally the only signs of Trump doing well are polls and social media engagement. The latter is definitely being cooked by Elon, bots, trolls, foreign influence, etc. We'll find out soon enough about the polling. 

The polls aren’t or can’t seem to figure out the enthusiasm gap. There was a poll last week with Dems at like +15 in enthusiasm and the GOP in the high 70s compared to the low 90s 4 years ago 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I refuse to believe there are any Ukrainians who support trump. That's simply not possible. The entire reason Trump was impeached the first time was because he was extorting Zelinsky for aid in exchange for making up dirt on Joe Biden. It gave us this hilarious clip:

There's that Ukrainian-born congresswoman from Indiana who supports Trump, but I was talking about Americans who plan to vote for Trump and yet are pro-Ukraine. I know it's hard to imagine, but some are active on this website and post in the Daily Texan Ukraine war thread.

And there are many GOP congress-critters who publicly support both Ukraine and Trump.

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Based on his physical condition and his weight, I’d bet this guy hasn’t done anything the hard way since Barron was conceived.

You know he got that Japanese milking machine to do the hard work. He is the father of ivf after all!  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In fairness, that could be a clip of any three women of that age and station in life.......seeing the typical posts on Surly.

Every male poster on this site has seen/earned that look.  Most of us within the past 24 hours.

So, "a bit close to home," etc.

To me this gif is about more than Trump's complete idiocy. This gif shows how utterly and completely the press has failed to convey to the American people exactly how incompetent, insane, idiotic, and idealess Trump is. These women are listening to his inane ramblings for the first time. And the reason it's the first time is because the press has failed to cover it sufficiently. These are citizens who care enough about what's going on to show up to this event. They are easily reachable by a competent press corps.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Silent Trump voters in 2016 surprised most of us  and he won the election. 

I am optimistic there's a significant number of silent Anti-Trump voters who will help make sure he never sees the Oval Office again. 

This. 

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Maybe it's been discussed at length (I certainly miss pages of this thread of a time, so point me to a page number if I'm rehashing old shit) but can anyone explain the disconnect between the betting markets and polls?  I'm not following closely so maybe a poll shift but most I've seen still seem to be predicting a narrow Harris win.  But Trump appears to be a relatively comfortable favorite in the betting markets.   I don't think presidential betting reflect the market the same extent as sports betting (with actual regulated books not taking bets + small $ limits, etc.) but still a bit surprising.

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Star Wars GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Silent Trump voters in 2016 surprised most of us  and he won the election. 

I am optimistic there's a significant number of silent Anti-Trump voters who will help make sure he never sees the Oval Office again. 

I’ve said before that silent majority is now the loud minority. 

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In fairness, that could be a clip of any three women of that age and station in life.......seeing the typical posts on Surly.

Every male poster on this site has seen/earned that look.  Most of us within the past 24 hours.

So, "a bit close to home," etc.

I've gotten that look 3 or 4 times today alone, and I think I've had a pretty good day.  I've also hardly been at home.  

• Like 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

both basically competent and inside the 40’s on all the other stuff you care about

Please point to anyone like this.  Because you're full of shit if you think the majority of Democratic ideals live within the 40's.    

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Maybe he should stick to an unsingle.   

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Trump and his crony grifters are cooking numbers everywhere to make people think he's winning. They don't want you to trust your own eyes or instincts, they manufacture numbers to gaslight Americans. 

I’ve been saying!

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Please point to anyone like this.  Because you're full of shit if you think the majority of Democratic ideals live within the 40's.    

Maybe he should stick to an unsingle.   

Man, the democrats are the only party within the 40s. The Republicans are over in the Chuck E Cheese next door to the stadium.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1