2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

Yep. That’s their game plan. Trump gets 25th after inauguration and this asshole takes over. 

Cool Cool Cool Community GIF

I don’t think the Maga morons would take kindly to having their god-king removed from office, and it’s not like Trump would go quietly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t think the Maga morons would take kindly to having their god-king removed from office, and it’s not like Trump would go quietly. 

They won’t do shit about it. And if they try, they’ve already laid the groundwork for using troops to quell protests and riots. 

Roughly 40% of the Republican early votes so far had previously voted on Election Day in 2020. Going to see a much less Dem-friendly early vote and a much more Dem-friendly Election Day vote, most likely.

Election night will be interesting. Should not be a red mirage like last time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Roughly 40% of the Republican early votes so far had previously voted on Election Day in 2020. Going to see a much less Dem-friendly early vote and a much more Dem-friendly Election Day vote, most likely.

Election night will be interesting. Should not be a red mirage like last time. 

is this related to a specific state?

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No. The marketing problem is the first problem. If you don’t win, policy is irrelevant. And nobody wins on policy. But when they do win, yes the policy isn’t great for the middle and working class. Like I don’t see anybody rearchitecting education or housing policy explicitly to address opportunity hoarding by generationally affluent members of historically disadvantaged groups.

I get that winning is first. So, how, specifically, would you alter Dem campaign strategy?

I’ve always thought Dems never effectively countered the hit on them about “tax and spend” and the race-baiting “welfare queen” vein of attacks on mid-century Dem policies. That’s who they still are to those folks you think are gettable. I also think they’re in fear of getting tagged with being Debbie Downers if they speak more openly about the hollowing out of the MC a la the dubbing of Carter’s honest appraisal as the Malaise Speech.

I don’t have a prescription for what I see is a fundamental problem of the Reagan Era. Do you think you do?

Do you not think the myth of the American dream of fabulous wealth being attainable for all is an immovable object constraining Dem messaging and tax policy?

• Like 2

That asshole McDonald's owner says he has 200 employees.   The average store has 50 employees and nets about $150,000 per year.   He's more concerned about his taxes because he's failry close to being part of the 1%.  

Person who lives with me rent free said she read somewhere he owns four franchises so that would be about right. She was comptroller for a franchisee who had 24 stores in DFW at its peak.

On 10/16/2024 at 10:30 AM, texasdago said:

OK... so I asked more about it and am working on countering his arguments... he's an attorney if that provides any perspective or maybe it doesn't mean anything because what does these days with Trump supporters?

I asked why she presented a threat to civilization...

"The lawfare that has been practiced by the current administration against Trump (and even against Musk by CA regulators) is the biggest threat to the rule of law not Trump.  Show me the man and I'll find you the crime.  There is a far bigger threat to the rule of law state than Mr. Trump."

So I responded back with consequences of his actions, history of being crooked, skirting rules, breaking laws, grifter, blah blah blah, etc.  I mentioned Musk is not on the ballot.  I also referenced Mark Milley, Mattis, most of his cabinet, etc. coming out against him.

Response

"So you are telling me that you don't think suspending the statute of limitations in NY state for a year so that a lady could file a claim against Trump from 1975 over a Bergdorff Goodman alleged rape that she told no one about and didn't report to the police before having the SOL revert back to its normal 10-year period is not something out of the KGB playbook.  Show me the man and I'll find you the crime.  The legislature in that instance particularly enacted this legislation to get Trump."

Can't speak to the background on the E. Jean Carroll case but why are we talking about a state court case here?  

AND he then said I was being influenced by TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome)

F me... 

Anyway, I dug up our WhatsApp conversation from January 10, 2021 where he admitted I was right about him the whole time.   Screenshot and sent to him.  I told you... you eventually saw through him, you can still see through him.  Best I can do is throw his words back in his face.

Your friend doesn't like brown people.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, softlynow said:

I get that winning is first. So, how, specifically, would you alter Dem campaign strategy?

That’s a really long post, but one thing would be a lot of time, attention and money on attacking Republican strengths in Republican strongholds to drive down popularity. Also, Democrats burn a lot of capital on unpopular things- for example opposing voter ID. It would be one thing if that was essential to winning, but it’s not even a popular position with Democrat voters- low propensity voters are now majority Republican voters in most places. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

20 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s a really long post, but one thing would be a lot of time, attention and money on attacking Republican strengths in Republican strongholds to drive down popularity.

The mechanics of this is the sticking point. You’re talking about massive amounts of money and manpower spent organizing people to prop up local party apparatuses in hopes of getting 70/30 GOP counties to 60/40. Sure, in that scenario lots of folks would become unsung heroes in a new Dem hegemony, but they’re not doing it absent some personal benefit nor without the kind of central planning that Dems have never been good at.

16 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

a21af652-ea9b-4366-bed9-5e5a0b9154a2.png

This is where I think the psychological part of this shit show is so fascinating. They know he doesn’t look like this. But they project it because it is a projection of their own weakness. I’m not even sure they view him as a real human being that exists. It’s more of an idea that he represents to them. These broken humans conjure what they think a “strong” person is, which is 180 degrees from reality for sane people, and they convince themselves that is who he is. In the end, this is a damning example of how bad America has fucked up over the past 50 years or so. 

Edited by Biff Tannen
The Steelers fan fiction pic should have been copied in here. That’s what I’m referring to in the 2nd line.
  • Hook 'Em 2

But that’s a joke and his audience gets it, and he gets that they get it. Democrats are the ones who don’t get his audience, which is why they aren’t democrats anymore. We’ve got to stop deluding ourselves about Donald Trump and his audience. He’s good at this. Democrats are not. To beat him in a presidential campaign Democrats have to be better than him. Biden was still good enough to do it in 2020, but wasn’t anymore. Harris probably is, but it’s a close thing when she’s got the drag of those around her and limited time. So we’ll see

But I think you still think of messaging in somewhat sane and traditional terms….those days are fucking GONE. Forever.

The D strategy has to be to tell even bigger and bolder lies. Trump is promising free ice cream and no more tests at school; Dems need to pitch only hot chicks/dudes as teachers, no homework, pizza AND ice cream every day, guarantee the football team will win state every year…and THEN they need to lie and say they’ve already delivered all those things.

We live in a no-rules world, where convincing idiots is all that matters. So, play the game.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is where I think the psychological part of this shit show is so fascinating. They know he doesn’t look like this. But they project it because it is a projection of their own weakness. I’m not even sure they view him as a real human being that exists. It’s more of an idea that he represents to them. These broken humans conjure what they think a “strong” person is, which is 180 degrees from reality for sane people, and they convince themselves that is who he is. In the end, this is a damning example of how bad America has fucked up over the past 50 years or so. 

Stalin's favorite actor, who portrayed him was this naturally tall, broad shouldered man, something like 6'2 and 200lbs.  Meanwhile, Stalin himself was a short little ugly man.  This is straight out the narcissistic dictator playbook.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

42k for Georgia today - 36k of that coming from blue counties

Just shy of 30% of 2020

Just for reference, in 2020 there were just over 4.9 million votes cast in Georgia.  Of that 4.9 million, approximately 2.3 million voted early.  If Js1 is correct, absolutely no reason to believe he isn't, that would place over 1.4 million votes cast in 2024.  Early voting closes on November 1 here, so in order to cross that number, in the next 11 days, we would need a bit less than 100k per day.  

On Friday, the last full day of polls being opened across the state, over 300k voted. Saturday polls were only open in major cities and today was only a couple of counties.  I would personally feel more comfortable if we blow by the 2.3 million figure, as the early voting skew is towards the Democratic vote.  However, there are ample indicators that Republicans are not shunning the early vote this year.  

I wish all of you well beginning to vote tomorrow in Texas.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I would personally feel more comfortable if we blow by the 2.3 million figure, as the early voting skew is towards the Democratic vote.  However, there are ample indicators that Republicans are not shunning the early vote this year.  

Important point.   Even Squidward Miller is telling people they can vote early, which was directly opposite what they told people previously.  

My hope is that Maga, being so stupid, doesn’t quite know what to think about that - and defaults to Democrats vote early and Democrats vote by mail. I’m sure not all of them, but as many of them as can wait till election day, the better it is.  Some might die, some might get sick with flu and Covid season- or their spouse will - or be afraid of all the Black people in line on election day (older white people know the black women carry razor blades in their bras). Who knows what the hell the reasons will be.

Getting the vote in the bank is the deal.

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

What is with the “supposed” turnaround of The Villages to voting for Kamala?  That’s bullshit right?

It’s weird,  could be AARP/Social Security/Medicare stuff.

Could be nobody paid attention to them because so many of the Trumpers made so much noise.