2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

7 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

@Brisketexan concluded that, by voting their conscience, Muslim Americans were throwing a tantrum and seeking to harm anyone who disagreed with them. That is a ludicrous take.

Meanwhile, @Js1 and others expressed rather startling schadenfreude, indicating no sympathy for the eventual suffering of Muslims who voted against the candidate of their choosing. Which is orders of magnitude closer to what Brisket accuses the Muslims of doing, as compared to what the Muslims are actually doing.

Some of y'all are exceptionally smart but have a massive blind spot when it comes to partisan politics. I’m as liberal as it gets and a loyal Democratic voter. But on this issue, it’s understandable why Muslims could not bring themselves to support a Democrat or might come to a different conclusion on the risk calculus compared to the rest of us. I don’t agree with it. I think it reflects a massive underestimation of what a second term Trump would be capable of. But it’s based on legitimate concerns and the actual track record of the current Democratic administration, and being wrong or misjudging the likelihood of future events is not the same as being unreasonable.

It’s too bad the DNC didn’t let a Palestinian speak at the convention, because I think that could have helped. As it is, the party basically signaled that four more years of Democratic rule would be more of the same and Palestinians could fuck off. So now many Muslim Americans are left with two shitty options, from their perspective. 

Or you give them a platform that completely pisses off all the Jewish voters. Look dude, this is a no win situation and the Muslim voters have to understand that. Bibi (and putin) is doing everything he can to get trump elected. It is known. There is absolutely nothing Biden can do to make both sides happy and we are here. Trump is banking on the absolute blind Muslim vote for him as an alternate to what he and his buddy setup. They will get fucked like all his rally goers when he can't pay for the busses. That is why people are without sympathy. How fucking stupid do you have to be to believe in anything trump would possibly do would help you?

Edited by HOOKEM4
ousux
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

@Brisketexan concluded that, by voting their conscience, Muslim Americans were throwing a tantrum and seeking to harm anyone who disagreed with them. That is a ludicrous take.

Meanwhile, @Js1 and others expressed rather startling schadenfreude, indicating no sympathy for the eventual suffering of Muslims who voted against the candidate of their choosing. His position was that if Muslim Americans don’t vote the way Js1 demands they vote, then he won’t do shit about it and won’t feel any sympathy if Muslims end up persecuted by Trump. Which is orders of magnitude closer to what Brisket accuses the Muslims of doing, as compared to what the Muslims are actually doing.

Some of y'all are exceptionally smart but have a massive blind spot when it comes to partisan politics. I’m as liberal as it gets and a loyal Democratic voter. But on this issue, it’s understandable why Muslims could not bring themselves to support a Democrat or might come to a different conclusion on the risk calculus compared to the rest of us. I don’t agree with it. I think it reflects a massive underestimation of what a second term Trump would be capable of. But it’s based on legitimate concerns and the actual track record of the current Democratic administration, and being wrong or misjudging the likelihood of future events is not the same as being unreasonable.

It’s too bad the DNC didn’t let a Palestinian speak at the convention, because I think that could have helped. As it is, the party basically signaled that four more years of Democratic rule would be more of the same and Palestinians could fuck off. So now many Muslim Americans are left with two shitty options, from their perspective. 

It is absolutely unreasonable. Any reasoned analysis would conclude that the current US approach to the Israel/Palestine conflict (which sucks, to be clear) is essentially SOP for this nation and that installing a pro-authoritarianism and anti-brown people head of state can only possibly make things worse.

The blind spot isn't on the side you think it is in this situation. I don't agree with what some others have posted in that I'll still be saddened if Trump wins and he inevitably encourages Netanyahu to be even more ruthless. But if I were a Palestinian-American who voted for it to happen watching as it did, I think Rust Cohle's advice would probably go through my mind. And that would be more reasonable than having voted for it.

• Hook 'Em 5

16 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Meanwhile, @Js1 and others expressed rather startling schadenfreude, indicating no sympathy for the eventual suffering of Muslims who voted against the candidate of their choosing. His position was that if Muslim Americans don’t vote the way Js1 demands they vote, then he won’t do shit about it and won’t feel any sympathy if Muslims end up persecuted by Trump. Which is orders of magnitude closer to what Brisket accuses the Muslims of doing, as compared to what the Muslims are actually doing.

2 points on this:

1.  If they are dumb enough to vote for Trump and he wins, they deserve what they get, and it's gonna be ugly on several fronts.

2.  We are in America.  Foreign policy is never going to be issue #1 for any candidate.  I'm not sure what more they want from Harris.  She's called for a cease fire and that is much more than Trump will do.  Trump will tell Bibi to go nuts and he'll back him all the way because he loves dictators.

• Hook 'Em 6

11 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

1) There is no way to couch a Muslim, who favors Muslim rights and the lives of Gazans/Palestinians, voting for Trump as a "reasonable choice."  It is facially unreasonable and unmoored from any logic.  That is, it is facially emotional and petulant.  And -- to tell on myself -- I fucking RECOGNIZE such choices.  Put me in a box where I feel like all my choices are shitty, and I can lash out.  In my pain and rage, the only satisfaction I can get is to spread the pain and rage.  Note: that is a fucking character flaw and weakness that I have worked much of my life to get past.  But make no mistake, it's super-shitty.  A muslim vote for Trump is irrational, and is largely a creature of "y'all make life shitty for me and mine, so I vote to make life shitty for everyone."

2) And yes, shadenfreude is real and is merited.  "Don't vote for the leopard, he said he will eat all our faces, and that especially includes your face."  "Fuck you, I'm voting for the leopard."  [Leopard wins, promptly eats voter's face]  "Oh no, my face!  This is terrible!  Don't you feel bad for me?"  "Ummmm.....no.  We fucking warned you that this was exactly what was going to happen, you told us to fuck off and voted for him anyway.  You asked for it, you got it."  Do not expect sympathy.  But if it makes the muslim voters feel any better -- and right now, they're thinking that it will -- plenty of other people/groups are going to have their faces eaten too.

Stop overcomplicating it and shading it.  A muslim American voting for Trump because they are pissed off about the treatment of muslims and Palestinians in particular is making an emotional, angry choice, which they KNOW will inflict pain across a broad spectrum of people, including all the people they claim to care about.  They've just given up on anyone helping them the way they want, so they've decided that if that's the way it's going to be, everyone should suffer.  It's a human reaction, it's not novel here.  But it's also utterly stupid, counterproductive, and reprehensible (I didn't push myself to get past that tendency for giggles -- I did it because I realized that indulging in it makes me a shitty person).

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

That anti-Alred commercial with the vet in the wheel chair just said they are doing transgender surgeries on people in the military - even children. Transgender kids are in the military now. Who knew.

If there's one thing I learned watching the UT-Georgia game, it's that Republicans in Texas are really, really, really scared shitless of trans people and are willing to make up any story to justify that hate and fear.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

That anti-Alred commercial with the vet in the wheel chair just said they are doing transgender surgeries on people in the military - even children. Transgender kids are in the military now. Who knew.

Private Mason at drop off, Lt Col. Maiseigh (she/her) at pickup.

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Well to be clear, my 9 year old is in the national guard and he came home today asking how he is supposed to pee now that she is a girl. I am letting my wife deal with it. Hoping I am not on the hook for the bill. I am waiting to vote because I need trump to commit to reversals. We will see. /independent

• Haha 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

6 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Goddammit. Now my mom who hates trump might vote for him because she hates gates more. Antivaxxers will be the end of our civilization. Dammit.

No offense to your mom, but that tiny cross-section is too dumb to try to save.

Okay, maybe some offense.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

As a rural Nebraskan who played 8-man football, there is nothing more than football coaches with a rural Nebraska background love more than an opportunity to call someone a dipshit. 

As a baseball coach of 12-18 YOs for many years, I heartily approve this statement.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think there were rumblings about Harris going on the Joe Rogan Podcast. With Trump doing it this Friday I wonder if they would circle back and get her on a day or two later to get in the last word where she can point to all the crazy bullshit he will likely spout on Friday.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Well to be clear, my 9 year old is in the national guard and he came home today asking how he is supposed to pee now that she is a girl. I am letting my wife deal with it. Hoping I am not on the hook for the bill. I am waiting to vote because I need trump to commit to reversals. We will see. /independent

Hello sir, would you like to be on The Lead with Jake Tapper? we are hoping you can join our panel of undecided voters who will watch a super cut of Kamala Harris bloopers mixed with fart noises and then tell us if you’ve made up your mind yet.  /CNN, probably 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

You hearing things in DC? 

Where's @quigley and @Ghost of LL with that good $9.95 insider shit? 

The person I know (actually a UT law grad) is a professional friend. Our relationship isn't based in politics so I ask him about that on the side. It causes him a lot of anxiety. I don't anticipate seeing him until Christmas party season so after the election.

2 minutes ago, wood said:

As a baseball coach of 12-18 YOs for many years, I heartily approve this statement.

Followed closely by a compulsion to order them to "stop playing grabass!"

I don't know what "grabass" is, exactly, but based on the voice-raised input I heard from many coaches over the years, it is apparently the most popular game in the world for males between the ages of 8 and 18, cuz they're playing it all the damned time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

I’m not not going to name the poster to which I’m referring, but I’ve posted with him, one way or another, for nearly two decades, and in general, he is a solid dude whom I respect and whose opinions I seek out and value. 

Having said that:

STOP FEEDING THE TROLL.

Edited by Bateshorn

1 minute ago, TexEx15 said:

I think there were rumblings about Harris going on the Joe Rogan Podcast. With Trump doing it this Friday I wonder if they would circle back and get her on a day or two later to get in the last word where she can point to all the crazy bullshit he will likely spout on Friday.

I would have been cool if she did it a week ago (I still maintain he wouldn't be willing to have her on), but I don't want to live in a world where both Presidential candidates appear on Joe Rogan as their last chance to reach a national audience on a "major outlet."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

2) And yes, shadenfreude is real and is merited.  "Don't vote for the leopard, he said he will eat all our faces, and that especially includes your face."  "Fuck you, I'm voting for the leopard."  [Leopard wins, promptly eats voter's face]  "Oh no, my face!  This is terrible!  Don't you feel bad for me?"  "Ummmm.....no.  We fucking warned you that this was exactly what was going to happen, you told us to fuck off and voted for him anyway.  You asked for it, you got it." 

You’re on a dumb analogy roll today. The leopards eating faces metaphor applies when a minority knowingly aligns with a bigot and against an open-minded candidate for selfish or opportunistic reasons. 

That only seems to fit if you focus exclusively on the Trump side of the decision, and completely ignore  the Biden administration’s (and Harris campaign’s) record on this issue. This is not a case where Muslim voters would knowingly chose evil over good because they calculate that they could be on the inside track with evil. It’s a case where they judge, based on an actual track record, that one side is more evil than the other. You just can’t see why they would ever consider the administration that has funded the Gaza assault as evil. 

Like I said, total blind spot. Y'all are seemingly incapable of seeing this objectively. It’s weird, but I guess that’s the shitty part of partisan politics. 

I would have been cool if she did it a week ago (I still maintain he wouldn't be willing to have her on), but I don't want to live in a world where both Presidential candidates appear on Joe Rogan as their last chance to reach a national audience on a "major outlet."

You might not want to, but you already do.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

The polls in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania have been pretty rock solid for awhile now. Anything beyond that is just gravy.

My hope: Kamala 270 + Senate toss up with Dems winning Senate races they're leading OH, WI, MI, NV, AZ + Nebraska independent.

Nuke the filibuster, institute voting reform. Structural change.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, quigley said:

My hope: Kamala 270 + Senate toss up with Dems winning Senate races they're leading OH, WI, MI, NV, AZ + Nebraska independent.

Nuke the filibuster, institute voting reform. Structural change.

Take money out of politics, pack the court, prosecute Elon (make him serve a max sentence, then deport him)

Just now, Chips O'Toole said:

Holy shit. I've been hanging out with amateurs my whole life. What a waste. 

Never gotten bottle service?

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

You just can’t see why they would ever consider the administration that has funded the Gaza assault as evil. 

No, I see them clear as day.  I absolutely see that.  So they see the Biden admin as evil.  And suspect they ALSO see the Trump admin as evil, they thus feel as if they have no good choice (and if your primary motivation is "I want to vote for a candidate who will do a 180 on 50 years of American policy, alienating a huge swath of voters in the process," then yeah....you don't have any good choices), so put in that "no-win" situation, they are NOT voting for the candidate who they think will follow the optimal (or at least the "least bad") path.  Instead, they are purposefully voting for pain.

I get that they don't like what the Biden admin -- and every admin for the past 50 years -- has done.  And I get that they may even rationally grasp that a Trump admin will not be good, either.  But to choose Trump over Kamala.....they are choosing the objectively worse option.  And the reason you do that is petulant rage.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

No, I see them clear as day.  I absolutely see that.  So they see the Biden admin as evil.  And suspect they ALSO see the Trump admin as evil, they thus feel as if they have no good choice (and if your primary motivation is "I want to vote for a candidate who will do a 180 on 50 years of American policy, alienating a huge swath of voters in the process," then yeah....you don't have any good choices), so put in that "no-win" situation, they are NOT voting for the candidate who they think will follow the optimal (or at least the "least bad") path.  Instead, they are purposefully voting for pain.

I get that they don't like what the Biden admin -- and every admin for the past 50 years -- has done.  And I get that they may even rationally grasp that a Trump admin will not be good, either.  But to choose Trump over Kamala.....they are choosing the objectively worse option.  And the reason you do that is petulant rage.

Yup.

Option one: I really dislike this administration although they say that what is happening to the people of Gaza is horrible

Option two: I really dislike this guy and he has said that the government who is doing these things to the people of Gaza should be allowed to do more of it... untethered, unleashed.  He's also actively telling him to ignore option one people who want a cease fire.  Oh, he wants to ban my people.

Hmmmm... yeah, option two sounds good.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

one of the most annoying things when Blacks talk about racism to non-Blacks is the non-Black person insisting something isn’t racist when the Black person is sitting there telling you “YES, SHEILA, IT IS RACIST” and they keep responding with “no it’s not”

I would go further. It's more than annoying.

It's frequently, including in this case, evidence that you can't accept another person's perspective even when that person's perspective is objectively more informed than yours.

Lara Trump is a hack and doing her job, but she's gaslighting people who know it when they see it so it's stupid to try.

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So sad and disgusting. Adult children of parents who are declining - watch your parents phones and bank accounts.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTFXMpxRM/

13 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah I just saw the CNN story. Fucking assholes need an extra-hot place in hell.

Whoa whoa whoa....slow your roll.  What you MEAN is "we should get Brisketexan that phone list, posthaste."

Stop feeling sorry for MAGAs.  All of them.  Yes, even they old ones with diminished faculties -- they have enough faculties to know that they love and have a boner for a hateful candidate and movement.  They aren't getting rooked.  They are choosing to be shitty.  The "getting rooked" is just a happy byproduct.  Fleecing people who vote MAGA is a national service.  End up on the street, eating cat food?  The wages of sin, folks.

I'm done with sympathy and empathy.  Mercy and kindness?  Those only get us more losses, racking up L after L.  MAGAs should be fleeced blind until there is nothing left.  All of them.  And every last penny.  It's your patriotic duty.