2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

11 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

What is so hard about saying “if building some form of a wall will bring enough Republicans into the fold to support a bipartisan bill, I would endorse such a compromise”. 

The bipartisan border bill that Trump pressured his party to kill did include a call for building more wall. In fact, it was the first item after the definitions.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/2/text#toc-HA34975EA1B1341DFA53391AE1549A7C4

image.thumb.png.40b77a0e4aeef72e939bf0cb90715d98.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, bolverk said:

The bipartisan border bill that Trump pressured his party to kill did include a call for building more wall. In fact, it was the first item after the definitions.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/2/text#toc-HA34975EA1B1341DFA53391AE1549A7C4

image.thumb.png.40b77a0e4aeef72e939bf0cb90715d98.png

Right. But she was asked “do you think building a wall is “stupid” and she gave a pretty poor and vague answer. 

Got these vibes from her “what is your biggest weakness” question. 

image.png.0ec5b9416837cf2aaba4586b0057081e.png

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I really think this country went way off the rails when we lost sight of what the President's role actually is. I know a lot if it is from FDR and the new deal but still, the President can't do much unilaterally and our electorate just doesn't seem to understand. 

Shouldn't do much.

Not Can't.

And Congress has done fuck all to fix it. 

That's our concern dude.

20 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

What is so hard about saying “if building some form of a wall will bring enough Republicans into the fold to support a bipartisan bill, I would endorse such a compromise”. 

Because the absolute best you can do by conceding a bad point is give it up without a fight. It looks weak, because it is.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

3 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Right. But she was asked “do you think building a wall is “stupid” and she gave a pretty poor and vague answer. 

Got these vibes from her “what is your biggest weakness” question. 

image.png.0ec5b9416837cf2aaba4586b0057081e.png

I’m a perfectionist who cares too much. I just can’t stop helping people even when it takes a toll on me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I'll never forget when we had our first shaggy hh 15 years ago and this incel showed up and didn't talk to anyone. Literally the only attendee that avoided everyone else. I'm actually surprised he never ended up shooting up his old middle school. 

Get fucked you loser weirdo. 

I think he goes on vacation at Disney without his kids. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m a perfectionist who cares too much. I just can’t stop helping people even when it takes a toll on me. 

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Because this is a stupid bullshit question. This isn’t a corporate America job interview. Good gravy. 

Pato gave the perfect answer here. Lighthearted response and then move on. Instead she gave a meandering response and can be spun into “she can’t even answer an interview question we all get asked….how can she fix the economy?”

Edited by Yev Kassem

1 minute ago, Yev Kassem said:

Pato gave the perfect answer here. Lighthearted response and then move on. Instead she gave a meandering response and can be spun into “she can’t even answer an interview question we all get asked….how can she fix the economy?”

Meh fine. Stealing that for my next bullshit job interview. Thanks Pato. 

• Haha 2

Rumors about a Trump video have been going around Twitter for a few days with the MAGA types preparing their followers for "fake AI misinformation", etc. 

Will be interesting if more comes of it, but you'd think the video would be out by now

One of my favorite parts about the Kamala hate from the right is the criticism for her occasional meandering, confusing answers

Ohhhhhh, so we do care about being clear, concise, and articulate all of the sudden. How odd.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Rumors about a Trump video have been going around Twitter for a few days with the MAGA types preparing their followers for "fake AI misinformation", etc. 

Will be interesting if more comes of it, but you'd think the video would be out by now

This is like 100th on the list of things I think would actually hurt him.  To be fair, pretty much any scenario is 100th on the list.

Just now, NorthLoop said:

I'll never forget when we had our first shaggy hh 15 years ago and this incel showed up and didn't talk to anyone. Literally the only attendee that avoided everyone else. I'm actually surprised he never ended up shooting up his old middle school. 

Get fucked you loser weirdo. 

Yea thats not how it went down.. me and my buddy sat with pac man most of the time(all 2 hours of the HH), in a room filled with people 10-20 years older than me  whom i have no clue who the fuck they are. and strange how after that, one branches and make friends at future tailgates and national championships. hence why you and me have 8 mutual friends. the guys at the come and take it tailgate were very welcoming and more my age. 

so way to look like a complete clown 

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

One of my favorite parts about the Kamala hate from the right is the criticism for her occasional meandering, confusing answers

Ohhhhhh, so we do care about being clear, concise, and articulate all of the sudden. How odd.

The double standard is absolutely absurd and infuriating 

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Excuse me, she has to be PERFECT.  Otherwise, I just don't know who to vote for.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I really think this country went way off the rails when we lost sight of what the President's role actually is. I know a lot if it is from FDR and the new deal but still, the President can't do much unilaterally and our electorate just doesn't seem to understand. 

FDR had 2/3rds majorities in both houses of Congress for much of his tenure and had a majority every single year.

The only check on his agenda was the very Republican Supreme Court.

No President will ever have that kind of legislative support ever again.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I had a huge crush on her. Holy shit he groped Stacey Williams and was not instantly struck down by God for desecrating an angel? This is why Atheists are probably right.

I mean I guess first he fucks my country so I shouldn't be upset he sexually assaulted my teenage crush. There is nothing sacred to me this fucker doesn't feel entitled to.

Wait. Hold fucking on. He groped Stacey Williams?!!! The connoisseur's SI model.  I’m actually not fucking around. While everyone one else was waxing poetic about Kathy Ireland or whatever, those of us who knew…knew. 

Fuck that piece of shit. Fuck him to hell

IMG_5219.webp.0174bf6a3054a87e0420822b00c0424f.webp

• Drool 2

I mean we already now he raped at least one woman and has a long history of groping. And he is a serial philanderer who cheated on all of his wives.

But maybe some people just have to see video evidence. Maybe.

We'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This:

She’s right. Please refrain from “it doesn’t matter”

Say something else. Like “won’t move the needle” without sounding like you’re minimizing what the underage teen went through 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

saudis going to buy that video 

If this is the story that was supposedly shopped to multiple media orgs, it doesnt make a lot of sense to me as the verification simply becomes "is it AI or not" and there are certainly technology companies that have solutions to determine that. 

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Wait. Hold fucking on. He groped Stacey Williams?!!! The connoisseur's SI model.  I’m actually not fucking around. While everyone one else was waxing poetic about Kathy Ireland or whatever, those of us who knew…knew. 

Fuck that piece of shit. Fuck him to hell

IMG_5219.webp.0174bf6a3054a87e0420822b00c0424f.webp

I crushed on her so much. I sometimes still watch those behind the scenes videos from SI on youtube.

Holy shit.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I dislike that Harris can’t just say that grocery prices aren’t coming down. I know that we would all love our grocery bill to drop 25% but it’s impossible and actually would be detrimental at this point. What we need is what is occurring where wages and expenses are finding a new equilibrium.

are all workers willing to turn their wages back to 2019 levels to get groceries back to 2019 levels? I vote no to that.

I mean yes, this is obviously right (although food prices have and continue to fluctuate, and that includes downward at times, as they always have)...

But the segment of the electorate that understands this or is even able to grasp the possibility is already backing Harris. That's not who she needs to win over.

Also, yes, when asked in polling if they would prefer additional buying power through a wage increase or lower prices, Americans pick lower prices (even if that means passing up on income gains) by like a 2-1 margin.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

A name I’ve not heard in a long time. 

I'm not even a hockey fan, but this dude was the fucking man in my youth.

Also notice how all of our friends from across the pond are much better at recognizing how dire our current situation is. Almost like their families have already had their own experiences with personality cults and fascism.

• Hook 'Em 4

I work in a very commodity reliant field. I know this to be a fact. 
Covid caused shortages. Prices went up because of scarcity of goods. Retailers had to pay more which the end result was inflation of price. 
Now cost of commodities have gone down.   However, retailers have not reduced consumer prices at all, or at best, not in proportion to the drop in commodity prices. 

I can attest that it is not lost on retailers, for example restaurants, that the consumer needs to get used to the idea of the $25 per person lunch.  For the most part, we have. Corp profits generally reflect this. 

Her answer should be some variation of this along with the successful admin efforts that did bring inflation in many areas down. 

Edited by CTC2
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I work in a very commodity reliant field. I know this to be a fact. 
Covid caused shortages. Prices went up because of scarcity of goods. Retailers had to pay more which the end result was inflation of price. 
Now cost of commodities have gone down.   However, retailers have not reduced consumer prices at all, or at best, not in proportion to the drop in commodity prices. 

I can attest that it is not lost on retailers, for example restaurants, that the consumer needs to get used to the idea of the $25 per person lunch.  For the most part, we have. 

Her answer should be some variation of this along with the successful admin efforts that did bring inflation in many areas down. 

This is all true.

However, in the next 12 months you're about to see some serious price drops.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm not even a hockey fan, but this dude was the fucking man in my youth.

Also notice how all of our friends from across the pond are much better at recognizing how dire our current situation is. Almost like their families have already had their own experiences with personality cults and fascism.

Hasek has also been extremely pro-Ukrainian, to the point of pushing to ban Russian NHLers that don't speak out against it (obviously that hasn't gained traction).  Believe it or not, at least two have spoken out a bit, Panarin of the Rangers against Putin a few years ago - the GRU instantly created a story about him being some sort of abuser, and Zadarov of the Bruins who simply said he was against the war, and now he can't go home.  

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This:

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She’s right. Please refrain from “it doesn’t matter”

Say something else. Like “won’t move the needle” without sounding like you’re minimizing what the underage teen went through 

it's not my job to be the arbiter of what people mean, but pretty much everyone's response will mean "this won't make a difference to the voters." nobody will mean "what happened didn't matter". any bombshell-style news teased on twitter and dropped ~2 weeks before an insanely important election has to be viewed through that lens.

so let me be the millionth person to say this won't make a difference to the voters. the republican nominee for president is a predator. it's a feature, not a bug.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This is all true.

However, in the next 12 months you're about to see some serious price drops.

Well, according to bozo, and this sounds pretty rational, in highly competitive industries like groceries, they are in a fairly constant price war and eventually that will cause prices to return to "normal."

Target Will Reduce Prices on More Than 2,000 Items to Help Consumers Save this Holiday Season

MINNEAPOLIS, Oct. 22, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT) announced today it will reduce regular prices on more than 2,000 items across owned and national brands this holiday season, including food and beverages, everyday essentials, holiday gifts and items to prep the home for the holidays.1 The move will help consumers save on items for holiday preparations and gifting, like toys, board games, beauty products, bath towels, snacks, beverages, frozen vegetables, cookies, ice cream, toilet paper, cough and cold medicine and more.

Target routinely adjusts its prices to remain competitive in markets across the country. These new price reductions are on top of the retailer's everyday low prices. In May, Target announced it would cut prices on about 5,000 items, saving Target guests millions of dollars this summer. The retailer surpassed its 5,000-item price cuts promise, lowering prices on over 8,000 total items year to date. By the end of the holiday season, Target will have lowered prices on over 10,000 items during the year.  

https://corporate.target.com/press/release/2024/10/target-will-reduce-prices-on-more-than-2,000-items-to-help-consumers-save-this-holiday-season

• Hook 'Em 2