2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

21 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Anyone care to decipher the "unroll" from above?  Bueller?  @js1?

Wish I could figure out how to embed the six or seven posts between ^^^ and the one below.

So what does he say

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Not that anyone who reads WaPo needs the editorial page to tell who to vote for, but this is weak and stupid. They pissed off 85% of their readership.

Bezos is acting like he's okay with the paper being a loss leader.

This and the LA Times is nothing more than owners preemptively protecting themselves if DJT wins.  It is a sign that our Constitution and social contract are at grave risk. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

This and the LA Times is nothing more than owners preemptively protecting themselves if DJT wins.  It is a sign that our Constitution and social contract are at grave risk. 

Bingo.

When the people and entities supposedly protected from government action by the First Amendment restrain their speech because they fear the planned regime will NOT be restrained by the protections provided by the First Amendment, then the First Amendment is dead.

To be clear, the side shouting "free speech!" as loudly as they can, all the time -- in the COMPLETELY wrong context -- has actually succeeded in killing protected free speech.

They are enemies of the Republic, freedom, and the Constitution.  If you think that you won't have to use violent force to protect you/your family/your community, you have not been paying any attention, and have never read any history books.  This is how authoritarian takeovers go.  EVERY.  FUCKING.  TIME.  

Buy ammo.  I haven't been kidding when I have said it before, I ain't kidding now.  The gun debate is over, by the way.  Fucking arm yourself, the ship has sailed.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

I banged a chick from Athens, TX in Dobie back in 2001 so yeah...

... wait what are we talking about? 

The fall of Chili's and how it was the high water mark of PAX Americana

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

And, of course, it goes without saying that if Kamala Harris wins, the thought of retribution against any newspaper or other media outlet would be ridiculous, but here is where we are.

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We are a nation of abject cowards.  Pathetic, spineless fucks who don't deserve the Constitution they cower behind.  "Champions of the First Amendment" MY ASS.  The NYT, WAPO, CNN -- every fucking one of them is kowtowing to the nazis because they are afraid of what the nazis will do when they take power.  How about you do what Americans used to do back when we had fucking SPINES: tell the nazis to fuck off so they DON'T COME TO POWER.

100,000% Spot on.

The powerful legacy media (NYT, WaPo, CNN, LATimes and all the others) have absolutely enabled MAGA and Trump since Day Fucking One! From the beginning, it was obvious Christian fascism in 2016. 

But the media were wedded to supposedly being fair to "both sides" ... and now they kneel and cower before one side. Spineless cowards to the very end. 

Very much like the mass media in Weimar Germany.

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Trump in Austin for Rogan today lol

Man.....never wished for a fiery plane crash at ABIA before today....

Also, that NC legislator calling for just declaring Trump the winner....in a functioning country, he'd be swinging from the gallows before nightfall.  You want to take away the rule of law via the voters, then you don't get the protection of the law anymore.  If he's willing to make that trade, get him to commit to it.

Just now, mdmost said:

Duh.  Because this is how team Trump password protects their devices:

DXTytxYW4AI8w4O.jpg

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

FWIW, doesn't seem like you say this kind of shit if you think you're about to win.

Def not what you say if you think you’re winning the state

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Def not what you say if you think you’re winning the state

Dem officials need to start issuing public statements to the people, NAMING NAMES, of the legislators who are trying to undo their votes.  "Harris wants to cancel your vote, because he is anti-American, and is an enemy of the Republic.  Treat him as an enemy of the Republic."  You know.... a bit of counter stochastic terrorism.  That's the rule of the game now, so fucking play by it.  And if someone shoots him, well, gosh darn it, we didn't say to do THAT.  You just can't be responsible for what a lunatic does.  One thing's for sure, we can't blame the gun.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dem officials need to start issuing public statements to the people, NAMING NAMES, of the legislators who are trying to undo their votes.  "Harris wants to cancel your vote, because he is anti-American, and is an enemy of the Republic.  Treat him as an enemy of the Republic."  

But maybe not this guy and surname, specifically. He gets a pass. 

Gotta remember that any undecided voters left are really, really fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

No big deal that an elected rep wants to overturn the will of the people because reasons.

It's honestly remarkable (yet not shocking) that this won't be a huge story.  Even early in the Trump administration, this still would have been earth-shattering news.  Trump's degradation of norms and what is viewed as "newsworthy" will be something that harms this country far beyond his lifetime.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dem officials need to start issuing public statements to the people, NAMING NAMES, of the legislators who are trying to undo their votes.  "Harris wants to cancel your vote, because he is anti-American, and is an enemy of the Republic.  Treat him as an enemy of the Republic."  You know.... a bit of counter stochastic terrorism.  That's the rule of the game now, so fucking play by it.  And if someone shoots him, well, gosh darn it, we didn't say to do THAT.  You just can't be responsible for what a lunatic does.  One thing's for sure, we can't blame the gun.

Yep.  And more specifically, Kamala Harris needs to schedule a stop in North Carolina as soon as she can, and tell the attendees and viewing audience that Andy Mother-Fucking Harris has proposed stripping North Carolinians of their right to vote and determine the allocation of the state's electoral votes regardless of the will of the people.  

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

FWIW, doesn't seem like you say this kind of shit if you think you're about to win.

There would be an GOP uprising to kick out a Dem congressman for saying this same thing. Instead there will be little outrage which further empowers anti-Americans like Andy Harris.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Elon Musk - Twitter, Tesla, SpaceX $250B

Jeff Bezos- Washington Post, Amazon, AWS $211B

Mark Zuckerberg- Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp $200B

Sergey Brin - Google  (Alphabet) YouTube $131B

Micheal Bloomberg - Bloomberg News $106B

Bill Gates - Microsoft, $106B

Rupert Murdoch - FoxNews, WSJ $22B

These seven combined are worth over a trillion dollars and collectively control most of the public information space.  You cannot have a functioning Democracy with this shit.  It’s too much concentration of power, they can rewrite history if they want and no government is going to stop them. 

*cough* EU & Brazil *coughcough*

Certainly won't stop them if you don't try.  

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yep.  And more specifically, Kamala Harris needs to schedule a stop in North Carolina as soon as she can, and tell the attendees and viewing audience that Andy Mother-Fucking Harris has proposed stripping North Carolinians of their right to vote and determine the allocation of the state's electoral votes regardless of the will of the people.  

You mean the undemocratically-installed presidential candidate?  Hurr durr.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My annual Washpo subscription was up in mid November. I had previously decided to keep it until today’s news. Just cancelled it.

Yeah, I renewed recently. I am giving them a call and telling them I am cancelling.  Fuck that.

I am about to do the same with the NY Times. They are still endorsing presidents, but they are going to stop for state and local elections.  That is just fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Elon Musk - Twitter, Tesla, SpaceX $250B

These seven combined are worth over a trillion dollars and collectively control most of the public information space.  You cannot have a functioning Democracy with this shit.  It’s too much concentration of power, they can rewrite history if they want and no government is going to stop them. 

This is why I laugh when people say the “liberal media.”

Shut the fuck up Ethan, all media is owned by radical republicans. Which one is liberal again?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

20 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Elon Musk - Twitter, Tesla, SpaceX, Starlink $250B

Billionaires shouldn't be allowed to exist. Every one of them is proving right now why.

• Hook 'Em 5

Glad to hear some of y'all are canceling. I let my NYTimes subscription expire sometime in the late 1990s-early 2000s. Never bothered with WaPo except browsing through the copies at Borders Books. Felt like a clone of the NYTimes

Got so tired of NYTimes "both sides" coverage of the rising Christian fascism and general "right wing" political idiocy... such as Patrick Buchanan and Ross Perot, both of whom who prefigure Trump.

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

This is why I laugh when people say the “liberal media.”

Shut the fuck up Ethan, all media is owned by radical republicans. Which one is liberal again?

Corporate media with a vested interest in things staying a certain way. It's why I hope CNN and others start going under. They've stoked this era of politics at every turn. They reacted to Fox News by becoming something almost worse. 

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, WaPo agreed to cancel my subscription, effective 11.5 months from now, those fuckers.

Just order a new credit card so the old card number dies

Ha!

Houston Chronicle endorses Kamala and shows way more courage than WaPo and LA Times and all the TV media. 

I am not from Houston, but I am from Texas ... and I am damn proud to see that paper stand up to Christian fascism... at least on the editorial page.

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 6