2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

47 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

"I will pull the lever to work within the system we have to try and stop/slow our slide into authoritarianism" - Thomas Jefferson, probably

This is bullshit, because the "slash" didn't appear in the American vernacular until Kordell Stewart.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

i have three longtime republican brothers, each a bit of a different flavor: one aggy, two red raiders. one uber catholic, one damn near prosperity gospel, one borderline conspiracy theorist. they range from solid middle class to 1 percenter.  each of them thinks biden's reelection is a foregone conclusion.  i think it stems from the educated republican sensing a pullback for their kind's support of trump.  couldn't tell you whether these specific ones did/will vote trump, although the odds on favorite would be 2/3 did last time and 3/3 did first time.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Or vote for a third party candidate who has no chance of winning to show them.

i did that in 92, 96, and 2004. but i was young and idealistic and thought i was making a strong point. you know, stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That's about as believable as the polls that have Trump winning the youth vote 60-30 or whatever. 

The same poll has Trump tied in Oregon and Illinois, so it isn’t. I got to use the x files meme, no ragrets.

Edited by Zonahorn
  • Haha 2

Yeah, a decade ago, the GOP told campaigns NOT to use McLaughlin.  He had Cantor winning by 34 points in his primary before he lost by 11. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If that’s really one that his campaign uses, look for him to make more appearances there. Good. Fewer time spent in Wisconsin and Michigan et al. 

Trump’s internal polling is on crack:

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

That's about as believable as the polls that have Trump winning the youth vote 60-30 or whatever. 

I want to believe I can get within 100 yards of Sela Ward without violating any prior restraining orders, but the State of New York says otherwise, at least until August of 2025.

With that said, I do think the numbers are a lot better for Biden than what we see publicly, which could explain why so many Republicans are freaking out.  We see shitty-ass polling done on the cheap.  Republican politicians are seeing numbers they paid good money for, from companies that aren’t just surveying people stupid enough to answer calls from unknown callers - they are looking at social media engagement, rallies, media coverage, and a slew of other factors, and they are matching that stuff up against voter demographics (for which they have a lot of data).   New York Times may try to extrapolate a nationwide trend (330 million people) from 700 people dumb enough to answer a phone call. People like Trump have access to trends in individual counties in battleground states.

• Hook 'Em 1

Season 9 What GIF by The Office

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/14/ceos-at-trump-meeting-not-impressed.html

• Former President Donald Trump failed to impress everyone in a room full of top CEOs this week, multiple attendees told CNBC.
  • “Trump doesn’t know what he’s talking about,” said one CEO who was in the room.
  • Several CEOs “said that [Trump] was remarkably meandering, could not keep a straight thought [and] was all over the map,” Andrew Ross Sorkin, co-host of CNBC’s “Squawk Box,” reported.

54 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Season 9 What GIF by The Office

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/14/ceos-at-trump-meeting-not-impressed.html

• Former President Donald Trump failed to impress everyone in a room full of top CEOs this week, multiple attendees told CNBC.
  • “Trump doesn’t know what he’s talking about,” said one CEO who was in the room.
  • Several CEOs “said that [Trump] was remarkably meandering, could not keep a straight thought [and] was all over the map,” Andrew Ross Sorkin, co-host of CNBC’s “Squawk Box,” reported.

No.  Fucking.  Shit.  You boot-licking morons that only care about quarterly projections.  Fuck right off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I’m watching The Dark Knight Rises.

Bane’s speech struck a nerve as I couldn’t help but feel that it’s exactly how MAGA sees the world…..

Take the Harvey Dent talk and put in America / Democracy and it feels eerily like the natural conclusion of MAGA.

18 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

I’m watching The Dark Knight Rises.

Bane’s speech struck a nerve as I couldn’t help but feel that it’s exactly how MAGA sees the world…..

Take the Harvey Dent talk and put in America / Democracy and it feels eerily like the natural conclusion of MAGA.

Oh we’re headed for some dark times even if Biden wins. MAGA loves America so much, that they’re willing to burn down the Republic. Buckle up

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Oh we’re headed for some dark times even if Biden wins. MAGA loves America so much, that they’re willing to burn down the Republic. Buckle up

I don't think this is true. I think that the darkest times are ahead though. I also don't think it'll have to do with the MAGA contingent. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

When Ana looks at the trolley problem, he knows the most moral choice is to pull the switch so that the train runs over the track with a bunch of people tied down to it, then cross to the track with one person tied down and shoot them in the head. Unless it’s a woman, then he’ll force her to give birth to a rapist’s child first then he’ll shoot her in the head.

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Ana and TxTow in the same place.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 1

Will said McLeaf also make me have a bowel movement that smells like Angela Lansbury ate 30 deviled eggs at ACL Music Festival and took a hot shit in a sleeping bag?  

Will said McLeaf also make me have a bowel movement that smells like Angela Lansbury ate 30 deviled eggs at ACL Music Festival and took a hot shit in a sleeping bag?  

Dude…you don’t start a hot Angela Lansbury story and not finish it. Come on.
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

17 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If that’s really one that his campaign uses, look for him to make more appearances there. Good. Fewer time spent in Wisconsin and Michigan et al. 

Less

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, immamac said:

I don't think this is true. I think that the darkest times are ahead though. I also don't think it'll have to do with the MAGA contingent. 

Barrack Obama is gonna convert us all to Islam or Fentanyl is going to kill us all.

But we're in the SEC, so it's ok.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 2

6 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Barrack Obama is gonna convert us all to Islam or Fentanyl is going to kill us all.

But we're in the SEC, so it's ok.

Boys, I'm telling you right now, that trip to Starkville is what you've been missing.  

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I want to believe I can get within 100 yards of Sela Ward without violating any prior restraining orders, but the State of New York says otherwise, at least until August of 2025.

With that said, I do think the numbers are a lot better for Biden than what we see publicly, which could explain why so many Republicans are freaking out.  We see shitty-ass polling done on the cheap.  Republican politicians are seeing numbers they paid good money for, from companies that aren’t just surveying people stupid enough to answer calls from unknown callers - they are looking at social media engagement, rallies, media coverage, and a slew of other factors, and they are matching that stuff up against voter demographics (for which they have a lot of data).   New York Times may try to extrapolate a nationwide trend (330 million people) from 700 people dumb enough to answer a phone call. People like Trump have access to trends in individual counties in battleground states.

I want to believe this, but the fact that so many GOP politicians are enthusiastically falling in behind Trump makes me think they believe Trump will win.  Of course, maybe they are doing that because they think he has no chance of winning, thus they know their support doesn’t mean risking another Trump presidency, so they’re just keeping his base in their corner for the future.🤷

• Hook 'Em 1