[DOOM THREAD] 2024 Presidential Election Thread - Oh. My. God. We may be fucked.

bolverk

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Flood Spanish media with this message ….

I don’t think normal ppl will ever grasp that a large portion of the voting eligible segment of Spanish speaking citizens is in favor of this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On NPR right now...

Florida man, who is benefiting from Obamacare, is happy for Trump to get elected and lose his insurance to do what is best for the country because he's "not selfish". Will simply remarry if he needs help finding Health insurance. Sounds like quite the catch! 

• Haha 3
  • Drool 2

8 hours ago, bluto said:

I don’t think normal ppl will ever grasp that a large portion of the voting eligible segment of Spanish speaking citizens is in favor of this. 

I would like to see some stats on this. Unless it's someone from Spain. I don't believe anyone from a country south of Texas would vote for Dotard.

2 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

I would like to see some stats on this. Unless it's someone from Spain. I don't believe anyone from a country south of Texas would vote for Dotard.

1) anti abortion catholics

2) interpret trumps behavior as machismo which they identify with and respect 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

It must be more conservative latino voters coming to the U.S., because fucking Mexico has decriminalized abortion, weed and made gay marriage legal in the same timeframe that the U.S. has gone ass backwards on all 3 issues.

• Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It must be more conservative latino voters coming to the U.S., because fucking Mexico has decriminalized abortion, weed and made gay marriage legal in the same timeframe that the U.S. has gone ass backwards on all 3 issues.

They just voted in a far left progressive woman jew to follow up their far left president for a new political party less than 20 years old. 

Yeah I'd say that Mexico is getting very liberal and it's helping substantially. I think one of the reasons it's effective there is they have such a strong foundational culture to build on from a moral fabric perspective. They are a lot less diverse which helps with that. 

Here the issue with progressive/left policy is that it really enables different things for different people since the thought and base culture diversity is so high here. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

They just voted in a far left progressive woman jew to follow up their far left president for a new political party less than 20 years old. 

Yeah I'd say that Mexico is getting very liberal and it's helping substantially. I think one of the reasons it's effective there is they have such a strong foundational culture to build on from a moral fabric perspective. They are a lot less diverse which helps with that. 

Here the issue with progressive/left policy is that it really enables different things for different people since the thought and base culture diversity is so high here. 

Net migration has been into Mexico for several years now. The people coming in are from places like Venezuela and Haiti

I just finished watching the video of Biden's speech regarding the D-Day landings.  Anyone who could watch this and still be a donald JAIL trump supporter does not deserve to live in this country.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

55 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Net migration has been into Mexico for several years now. The people coming in are from places like Venezuela and Haiti

you seem to think that Venezuelans and Haitians are that much different than Mexicans. Same language, mostly same moral fabric, same base religion, similar government history, similar cultural background.

Chinese coming to the US, SE asia coming to the US, LATAM coming to the US, MEA coming to the US much much different and way more of a melting pot with a diverse background culturally and morally. 

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

you seem to think that Venezuelans and Haitians are that much different than Mexicans. Same language, mostly same moral fabric, same base religion, similar government history, similar cultural background

Como?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Never seen that map.  THanks for posting.  Eye opening.

My regular reminder of why I have no interest in living in the hill country

image.thumb.png.c6e66e98f787ce200a0c98a98a742c81.png

But Llano sure is pretty... nah!

image.png.6d56d9cf47f6ed326de9bef6b1f4d5ae.png

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

They don't just come over ot Mexico and speak haitian creole, spoiler alert. 

But saying they share commonality in language as a stand alone doesn't necessarily mean they share cultural values (I do realize that you quantified that a bit).  Overall though, I'd say that's a gross over simplification.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Hard Times said:

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Nanny of mine was from Honduras and was a single issue voter on abortion.  I didn't ask her if she was ok with Don paying for one.

Posted (edited)

Isn’t there another angle that however poorly boomers/olds are about pulling up the ladder behind them, aren’t Mexican immigrants as bad/worse? No pun intended on ladder and the like

Edited by bluto
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

But saying they share commonality in language as a stand alone doesn't necessarily mean they share cultural values (I do realize that you quantified that a bit).  Overall though, I'd say that's a gross over simplification.  

ah yes, but you do agree that haitians are much much closer to mexicans culturally than any Asian or even mexicans are to American culture which was the broad point. That's much much easier to govern/manage, it's one of the reasons scandanavia has policy that would never work here that works there, mostly homogenous population.

I guess it might make sense for the men, especially if they're Catholic. And maybe some nuns, but that's about it. They come to the US to get a job so they can live a decent life. Even if they don't get a job the social programs will do a lot more for them than living in SA. Less than 10% are criminals or part of gangs.

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

ah yes, but you do agree that haitians are much much closer to mexicans culturally than any Asian or even mexicans are to American culture which was the broad point. That's much much easier to govern/manage, it's one of the reasons scandanavia has policy that would never work here that works there, mostly homogenous population.

I'm not sure I would agree with that, but I suppose there is no real way to determine that one way or the other.  The Scandanavian point is interesting, but to me it's like saying people from Western Australia, Northern Scotland, and say here in Atlanta would share the same world view because we more or less speak the same language.  (Leave Haiti out of the original thought/different language).  I find that to be unlikely.  

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, immamac said:

So the reason we can't fix the most complicated and expensive healthcare system in the developed world or the low happiness index, among all the other things they do better than us, is because we're too diverse?

Nsru.gif

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BamaATL said:

I'm not sure I would agree with that, but I suppose there is no real way to determine that one way or the other.  The Scandanavian point is interesting, but to me it's like saying people from Western Australia, Northern Scotland, and say here in Atlanta would share the same world view because we more or less speak the same language.  (Leave Haiti out of the original thought/different language).  I find that to be unlikely.  

I would say that the similarity is "mostly western values" from those countries. vs mostly LATAM/catholic values from the others.

And yes, getting an aussie a scottie and an American to agree on something is much easier than getting someone from asia someone from Africa someone from the middle east and someone from latam to agree to something. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I would say that the similarity is "mostly western values" from those countries. vs mostly LATAM/catholic values from the others.

And yes, getting an aussie a scottie and an American to agree on something is much easier than getting someone from asia someone from Africa someone from the middle east and someone from latam to agree to something. 

Well that explains all the Chinese investment in Arabic speaking Africa.  

Just now, BamaATL said:

Well that explains all the Chinese investment in Arabic speaking Africa.  

I'm sorry is there some large population and policy influence from china in Arabic speaking Africa? 

I must be checked out, but last time I checked those countries don't have an inflow of chinese people living there and becoming part of the voting populous and integrating into their society. 

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

My regular reminder of why I have no interest in living in the hill country

But Llano sure is pretty... nah!

image.png.6d56d9cf47f6ed326de9bef6b1f4d5ae.png

It's a good thing the R legislature wants Llano and it's 3000 votes in 2020 to count the same as Travis and it's...checks notes...612,000 votes.  

• Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So the reason we can't fix the most complicated and expensive healthcare system in the developed world or the low happiness index, among all the other things they do better than us, is because we're too diverse?

Nsru.gif

it's because thought diversity plays out in these multi-factor policy decisions like healthcare. 

Right now the only common language between the melting pot of cultures or the "liquid we are all melted into" is capitalism. Our government has taken an extremely weak anti-trust stance for the last 3 decades and we have now become "the most capitalist" country on earth, and as a biproduct of that our healthcare system is run as a for profit endeavor instead of one that has a mission to keep people from getting sick and cure people that are sick. 

Fixing the underlying causes of this is very complex, arduous and requires some very strong political motivation (READ: lobbying dollars). Right now the collective consumer isn't lobbying with real lobbyist, they are lobbying by bitching and then just succumbing to the system and letting it fuck them instead of holding these gigantic for profit entities that are fucking them accountable. Same with the doctors, employees, admins etc. If it's something I have to sacrifice for the greater good even if it's not that much of a sacrifice, why would I do that. Accountability is simply too hard in a profit centric capitalist mindset. 

There is a moral and societal basis which exists in places like Scandinavia that places the good and health of the populace over a few points of margin or at-will employment. That's purely cultural, and it's reflected in policy within those nations. 

As much as you want to think it's not attributed to "homogenous populations" it very much is at it's foundation. 

45 minutes ago, immamac said:

it's because thought diversity plays out in these multi-factor policy decisions like healthcare. 

Right now the only common language between the melting pot of cultures or the "liquid we are all melted into" is capitalism. Our government has taken an extremely weak anti-trust stance for the last 3 decades and we have now become "the most capitalist" country on earth, and as a biproduct of that our healthcare system is run as a for profit endeavor instead of one that has a mission to keep people from getting sick and cure people that are sick. 

Fixing the underlying causes of this is very complex, arduous and requires some very strong political motivation (READ: lobbying dollars). Right now the collective consumer isn't lobbying with real lobbyist, they are lobbying by bitching and then just succumbing to the system and letting it fuck them instead of holding these gigantic for profit entities that are fucking them accountable. Same with the doctors, employees, admins etc. If it's something I have to sacrifice for the greater good even if it's not that much of a sacrifice, why would I do that. Accountability is simply too hard in a profit centric capitalist mindset. 

There is a moral and societal basis which exists in places like Scandinavia that places the good and health of the populace over a few points of margin or at-will employment. That's purely cultural, and it's reflected in policy within those nations. 

As much as you want to think it's not attributed to "homogenous populations" it very much is at it's foundation. 

I agree with most of this but am not ready to attribute it to a lack of homogeneity in the U.S. If that is part of it, then it goes back to our country's history of treating "others" poorly and keeping them subordinate to the largest extent possible. It sets up a long term culture of "us" vs "them." I also think our refusal to treat public education well leads to easily manipulated morons who vote on wedge issues while their manipulators sit back and laugh.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

you seem to think that Venezuelans and Haitians are that much different than Mexicans. Same language, mostly same moral fabric, same base religion, similar government history, similar cultural background.

Chinese coming to the US, SE asia coming to the US, LATAM coming to the US, MEA coming to the US much much different and way more of a melting pot with a diverse background culturally and morally. 

I'm just saying not all of them would vote for a Jewish leftist climate scientist woman.

17 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

IMG_0041.jpeg

I like where this is going.  We need to offer Trump free use of outdoor facilities in AZ and NV from 12 to 3pm through August.   He is so fucking cheap and unconcerned for anything other than saving a few bucks that we would take it.  Meanwhile the herd thins....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

These kind of LATAM values?

"Rooted in the Mexican constitution's principles, every Mexican citizen is entitled to cost-free access to healthcare and medication."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

What exactly, besides food, does Mexico do better than the United States?  Healthcare? is that what I am reading here?

Yes, yes... that's exactly what we're saying.

Well their system of access is obviously much better.  But it's not the third-world shithole people think it is when it comes to health care.  It has so many issues and is so corrupt, but when it comes to quality of care-it's not quite U.S. level but it's pretty fucking good.  While they have nowhere near the same amount, their medical schools are among the best in the world.  They don't have our R&D capacity, but their Pharma industry is very robust.  And their hospitals, at least in the urban areas, are among the very best in the Western Hemisphere, probably better than Canada after the U.S.  

If you don't believe me, go hang out at the border and watch tens of thousands of American Seniors every single day pour into Mexico for quality, more affordable care and drugs.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

If you don't believe me, go hang out at the border and watch tens of thousands of American Seniors every single day pour into Mexico for quality, more affordable care and drugs

its a grey market for drugs and dental/surgery.  

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Well their system of access is obviously much better. 

IDK.  They have public and private systems. As in all such systems the "universal care" portion isn't great.   

• Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to [DOOM THREAD] 2024 Presidential Election Thread - Oh. My. God. We may be fucked.