[DOOM THREAD] 2024 Presidential Election Thread - Oh. My. God. We may be fucked.

bolverk

After the debate I thought it best to remove Biden and Kamala from the ticket and get some younger centrist Dems on the ticket.  I am now honestly in a different mindset.  They need to keep Biden on the ticket and give him Adderall or any other stimulants anytime he is in the public.  HIs campaign staff are also dumb to float the "had a cold" stuff.  He should come out tomorrow and say it wasn't a cold, but he has some nasty stomach virus the day before with a fever and explosive diarrhea and he was up for 24 hours causing him to feel like shit at the debate and was pretty out of it.  Something pretty much everyone has been through at one time or another and understands and would say, "oh, now I get why he looked terrible".  Hell, if they went with the cold idea, he should have said he had a cold and took way too much cough medicine and Benadryl and it caused him to look drugged, but he is great now.  Basically, lie like the other side does. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

My grandfather built an addition to his house out of brick at 85. 
My father just built an addition to his house at 81.
Not saying that's somehow presidential, but for fuck's sake,  Biden isn't the only motherfucker running this shit,  not by a Longshot.

So Vin, who did you cast to play your father? Stallone? Eastwood?

Neither Thomas, nor Alito, is actually that powerful. They are known corrupted votes, locked in by corruption and batshit. You can look at any case and already know exactly how they will rule based on their feels. 

The power belongs to Roberts, Barrett, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. They pretend to be non-biased by taking turns siding with the liberal justices. 

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Yeah who are we talking about? Who are "they"?

Fuck they.

54 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Good to see the party of Reagan is scared of Putin’s empty threats, and their leader tells the world that Republicans are a bunch of bedwetters and cowards scared of the third-world shithole run by Putin.

And sure, we are failing in a few areas - here in Texas we have doubts about our power grid and its authority that *checks notes* has been run by Republicans for almost 30 years.

Yes, but those were RINO Republicans. If we just got some real Texas patriots in there, you'd see a power grid the likes of which, no one has ever seen. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Forget the fact that we have 3.5 years of results to know how the party is doing and where they are going, along with a Vice President who could take over at any moment, please freak out about your debate expectations.

This was meant for debate thread. But good here too

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/18/2024 at 3:22 PM, Red Five said:

Yeah, the choice between a good president and maybe the worst person on earth.

Well, as I read the tea leaves and headlines, that good president did a bad job of convincing people who watched the 1st debate that he should get their nod. And, if you believe the media, some (many/most) in the democratic party are ready to hit the eject button for their presumed nominee. 

Just remember that in 1992, President Bush was the presumed winner and Clinton was nominated because many Dem front runners didn't want to get run over like Dukakis. And then he said no new taxes, and his reelection defeat was set in motion.

Nobody should think this is a lock, there are many hours, days & weeks to go - but after Thursdays mumblefest DJT is on much more solid footing. Not that I like that, but I recognize it for what it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Pods said:

Neither Thomas, nor Alito, is actually that powerful. They are known corrupted votes, locked in by corruption and batshit. You can look at any case and already know exactly how they will rule based on their feels. 

The power belongs to Roberts, Barrett, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. They pretend to be non-biased by taking turns siding with the liberal justices. 

Fuck they.

Yes, but those were RINO Republicans. If we just got some real Texas patriots in there, you'd see a power grid the likes of which, no one has ever seen. 

Pos rep esp. for Sofi Tukker. Fucking love them.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Just remember that in 1992, President Bush was the presumed winner and Clinton was nominated because many Dem front runners didn't want to get run over like Dukakis. And then he said no new taxes, and his reelection defeat was set in motion.

I think you left out a little fact for 92

• Hook 'Em 1

Of course.  That's true for 90% of us.  The question isn't how the Best Since FDR! board is voting.  It's where is this election heading.  And you don't recover from "Biden's family is encouraging him to stay in the race"-level votes of no-confidence with the 20% of the electorate that will decide this thing.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Maybe y'all should all quit being such pussies.  Biden or whomever else, I don't care, gets my vote in November.  I'm voting against fascism.  Full stop.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump didn't gain a single vote from the debate. Unfortunately, he didn't lose any either.

BUT, I can pretty much guarantee that Biden lost votes from people who won't vote for either of who will now abstain from voting all together. Being the hero that's "above it all" and who can confidently say, "I didn't vote for him" whenever whoever wins does something embarrassing is an alluring draw.

If the election was tomorrow, we are indeed fucked. Thankfully, it's not. But Biden isn't getting any younger.

• Hook 'Em 5

37 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump didn't gain a single vote from the debate. Unfortunately, he didn't lose any either.

BUT, I can pretty much guarantee that Biden lost votes from people who won't vote for either of who will now abstain from voting all together. Being the hero that's "above it all" and who can confidently say, "I didn't vote for him" whenever whoever wins does something embarrassing is an alluring draw.

If the election was tomorrow, we are indeed fucked. Thankfully, it's not. But Biden isn't getting any younger.

I agree with you, but the other side of that equation is that I don't think that Biden's performance in that debate is going to get the vote out. I am afraid that there will be people who will be okay with being able to say that they didn't vote for either. 
Voting matters, but so does not voting - particularly in battleground states. Michigan is a great example; Dearborn has a large Muslim population that likely will not support like they did in the past, students (who were all promised loan forgiveness) may not go out to vote as they did, etc. 
The MAGA supporters and the Never Trumpers will all get to the polls, but Michigan will depend on the fringe not on the core supporters. I would think Wiscy, Georgia, Pennsylvania as similar

I think there will be a fair amount of people who basically say "fuck it", and don't vote.

I was talking to a very liberal friend, who lives in a swing state, and she said that for the first time in her adult life, she's not going to vote.  I tried talking sense into her be she's basically given up on America.

She's just disgusted that out of everyone in America, these are our choices.  She's white, cis and past child bearing age, so she'll be fine either way and just wants to burn it all down.

You can call her dumb, be enraged or whatever, but that's her choice, and considering how liberal she's been over the 20 years we've known each other, I just find it disheartening and a disconcerting harbinger of how others might also feel.

She did say that if the Democrats nominated "someone with a pulse", she'd vote for them.  She just won't vote if it's Biden.

Maybe she changes her mind on election day, but it's certainly has me worried that she's not alone in her thinking.

4 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Michigan is a great example; Dearborn has a large Muslim population that likely will not support like they did in the past, students (who were all promised loan forgiveness) may not go out to vote as they did, etc. 

Going to be a lot of fucking around and finding out, it seems.  

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, DixonHur said:

I think there will be a fair amount of people who basically say "fuck it", and don't vote.

I was talking to a very liberal friend, who lives in a swing state, and she said that for the first time in her adult life, she's not going to vote.  I tried talking sense into her be she's basically given up on America.

She's just disgusted that out of everyone in America, these are our choices.  She's white, cis and past child bearing age, so she'll be fine either way and just wants to burn it all down.

You can call her dumb, be enraged or whatever, but that's her choice, and considering how liberal she's been over the 20 years we've known each other, I just find it disheartening and a disconcerting harbinger of how others might also feel.

She did say that if the Democrats nominated "someone with a pulse", she'd vote for them.  She just won't vote if it's Biden.

Maybe she changes her mind on election day, but it's certainly has me worried that she's not alone in her thinking.

She's not a "liberal," she's just another disinterested cog. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

She's not a "liberal," she's just another disinterested cog. 

Her views are very liberal, and she's voted D in every election.

But define her as you will... I'm not here to defend her, I'm just passing along one piece of anecdotal information.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not to state the obvious, but you need to nominate someone people want to vote for. "He's not Donald Trump" is not good enough when he looks and acts like your great-grandfather who was just put in a home. 

72% of voters don't think Biden should be running (and just based on all the people I've talked to about this, I'm surprised it's not higher). Half of democrats think that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Not to state the obvious, but you need to nominate someone people want to vote for. "He's not Donald Trump" is not good enough when he looks and acts like your great-grandfather who was just put in a home. 

72% of voters don't think Biden should be running (and just based on all the people I've talked to about this, I'm surprised it's not higher). Half of democrats think that. 

If we would have gotten state of the Union Joe instead of weekend at Bernie's Joe on debate night this would be over. 

It was a huge miscalculation 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

If we would have gotten state of the Union Joe instead of weekend at Bernie's Joe on debate night this would be over. 

Honestly, I uttered my first "oh my god" when he came shuffling out like C3PO, and mumbled something unintelligible into the mic. Five minutes later and I was hiding my eyes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

In retrospect, the Biden team should never have agreed to let CNN get away without fact-checking. Hold firm there and enjoy the optics when Trump pulls out and then blast that shit everywhere -- "Trump bailed because they were going to fact-check his lying ass." This race would really be over. Oh, what could've been.

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, I did my informal poll of undecided independents in my social circle. If something doesn’t change their mind, here are the results:

2 - not voting, Biden -2

1 - voting Liberaterian Biden -1

1 - voting Trump Biden -1

1 - voting Biden anyway +1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

All this "the race would've been over if Biden had won the debate" shit is literally insane. Did you people just wake up from a fifty year coma?

Wasn't about winning. Doesn't matter about winning. Matters about not appearing as a corpse on stage. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Only weird online people care about the debate and it doesn't reflect how ordinary people feel.

Strongly disagree. I don’t care much for debate winners and losers. They’re often a mess. Ordinary voters will look at this and see a man incapable of speech. It was disastrous for Biden. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Maybe y'all should all quit being such pussies.  Biden or whomever else, I don't care, gets my vote in November.  I'm voting against fascism.  Full stop.  

So am I, I just have no confidence that this guy that we saw in the debate...

TELEMMGLPICT000383658240_17195551268580_

...is going to be equipped to defeat the rise of fascism, and I'm pissed at the opposition party for offering this cadaver up as the best they can muster as a defense for Democracy.  Did he call out any of Trump's lies when given the opportunity to be his fact checker in the debate?  Maybe late, but not before anyone turned off the shit show.  I hope to hell I am wrong about Joe's ability to win.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Goredho said:

So am I, I just have no confidence that this guy that we saw in the debate...

TELEMMGLPICT000383658240_17195551268580_

...is going to be equipped to defeat the rise of fascism, and I'm pissed at the opposition party for offering this cadaver up as the best they can muster as a defense for Democracy.  Did he call out any of Trump's lies when given the opportunity to be his fact checker in the debate?  Maybe late, but not before anyone turned off the shit show.  I hope to hell I am wrong about Joe's ability to win.

I'm starting to think the only person who can beat Trump in November not named Joe Biden has to have the last name Obama.

This is a mess.

To all my fellow Hispanics out there.  To all the women, people of color, the LGBTQ community, the recently immigrated from Asia, and to all the marginalized communities who vote for Trump or don't vote at all.....I want you to know---you have agency, you deserve respect and have rights.  And the last thing you'll ever see will be my hand waving at you as you are sent off for re-education or deportation.  I won't even have a moment to say "I told you so" because I'll busied pushing your children onto the bus.  

This is how we've always done it.  Before we head off to make trouble, we liquidate our "lesser" citizens within our own borders, even if they supported the ruling party.  It's a demonstrative loyalty process.  And it works every time.  If you a woman or minority, and don't get out to vote against Trump, know that you a part of a pattern of history.  You really won't like what happens next.  

• Hook 'Em 1