[DOOM THREAD] 2024 Presidential Election Thread - Oh. My. God. We may be fucked.

bolverk

34 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

None of what you said is based in any kind of fact.  You, nor anyone else here, has any clue what is going on behind the scenes.

Right, and I acknowledged that.  But my entire comment was a response to a poster stating that Biden had been an effective leader, which assumes he is actively engaged and directing his subordinates “behind the scenes”, something (as you say) we can’t know.

2 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Right, and I acknowledged that.  But my entire comment was a response to a poster stating that Biden had been an effective leader, which assumes he is actively engaged and directing his subordinates “behind the scenes”, something (as you say) we can’t know.

We can see the accomplishments, and he’s the person in charge. Seems pretty effective. Doesn’t really matter if he’s calling the shots or just the figurehead. The results mean he’s effective as a leader. He’s not sitting around watching tv and eating yogurt all day.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I think at this moment it is best to begin putting in as many safeguards in place as possible to keep our democracy as functional as possible to survive the next 4 years. I don’t know what that is and I hope smarter people in the government do. 

The ones who don't have private sector options are probably already in full CYA mode. The best we can hope is that a good portion the military brass and the folks in charge of anything nuclear-related are putting collective interests above their own. 

59 minutes ago, troph said:

this is why it's Biden no matter what. I can't believe this isn't understood. the party isn't running for office, a candidate is and he has his or her own enterprise - funders, staffers, key executives, operatives, intel, data, etc. etc. Yes the parties help their candidates and there are organizations through out the country that try to help but in the end, the candidate has his or her own apparatus and that isn't just seamlessly handed off with 4 months to go. it would be an epic disaster behind the scenes not to mention any sort of infighting seen publicly.

It could be Harris. The guys from Pod Save America pointed out that it’s the Biden/Harris campaign so if Biden drops out and Harris is the nominee, all that infrastructure and campaign cash would still be available to her. Not so for anyone else. That’s not to say there wouldn’t likely be some change-up in the staffing but their main point was about the money. She’s the only other candidate who’d have free access to it because she’s already on the ticket. 

• Hook 'Em 2

As for the polls everything is still up for grabs even those disaster state polls means shit like 40-41 or something? There is still 20% twideling their thumbs, my theory is that they are mostly anti trumpers but currently terrified and sticking to home not vote. and no this has nothing to do with the debate because it has been the same for months.

This is why I think Biden has a chance it is easier to calm nerves than change minds. Trump wins only through terror.

I was wondering today why prominent Democrats like Doggett came out publicly. 

After just watching an ABC News update, I strongly believe now the establishment has already made the decision to switch to Harris, but have not been able to get Biden to step down. 

As a result, they are now applying public pressure from Pelosi, Doggett, and several other prominent politicians. They will keep doing this over the next few days until he bails. In my opinion, it’s over. Harris is the nominee. Just my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

After just watching an ABC News update, I strongly believe now the establishment has already made the decision to switch to Harris, but have not been able to get Biden to step down. 

As a result, they are now applying public pressure from Pelosi, Doggett, and several other prominent politicians. They will keep doing this over the next few days until he bails. In my opinion, it’s over. Harris is the nominee. Just my opinion. 

Lloyd Doggett is a prominent Democrat?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

giphy.gif.de52278d4bd378b7985e2f053b962623.gif

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Agree with all that except the Harris part.  She will not be the nominee.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Agree with all that except the Harris part.  She will not be the nominee.  

I think she has to be. As explained above, she would have access to money and campaign infrastructure. If this were July 2023, I would agree that it probably wouldn’t be her. But we don’t have the luxury to have a long process to choose. They need to be ready to go immediately 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If Harris is the nominee (doubtful), then she should pick Andy Beshear as VP.  

Like always everyone has a flaw and his is that he looks as dumb as a paper bag. But yeah he is naively one of the better candidates left.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

How?

You think people that gave Biden money will want it back?  She just assumed the campaign.

Even if she doesn't, she could raise that money again in 7 days.  Money is cheap and easy.

2 minutes ago, linux said:

Like always everyone has a flaw and his is that he looks as dumb as a paper bag. But yeah he is naively one of the better candidates left.

To be crass, he's also a white man.

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

You think people that gave Biden money will want it back?  She just assumed the campaign.

Even if she doesn't, she could raise that money again in 7 days.  Money is cheap and easy.

To be crass, he's also a white man.

She doesn’t just get his money. It’s already been discussed in this thread.

Biden raised $250 million dollars last quarter.  They raised $40 million the weekend of the debate. If it was that cheap and easy then why doesn’t everyone do it?

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 3

I mean he is a governor of a deep red state, is he the last? But it could also be explained by nepotism.

I mean white, male, young, centrist-conservative, adding Kentucky would be nice

Cons looks dumb, son of a governor so who knows how that translates into other states.

But here we are he is indeed a leading candidate.

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

She doesn’t just get his money. It’s already been discussed in this thread.

Biden raised $250 million dollars last quarter.  They raised $40 million the weekend of the debate. If it was that cheap and easy then why doesn’t everyone do it?

Everyone that runs for POTUS in one of the major parties does...it's nearly automatic.  

1 hour ago, Creasy Bear said:

I'm voting for RFKjr in protest of both of these candidates.  My hopes are that he garners enough support that 3rd party candidates might have a chance in the future. 

Well enjoy your vote for the guy who also sexually assaults women.

https://newrepublic.com/post/183382/damning-report-rfk-jr-history-alleged-sexual-assault

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Everyone that runs for POTUS in one of the major parties does...it's nearly automatic.  

The Biden campaign has been raising money at a level only Barack comes close to. Actually Barack wasn’t even close in non PAC money

Edited by hobbes2702

The problem is still the civil war, if those polls are real (which I don't trust) and she gets the non-existent non-binding primary win and full backing of the party then yeah make the switch. But as it stands we are still looking at a civil war. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Everyone that gave Biden money would give Whitmer money.  Jesus.

No shit. But she wouldn’t inherit the money from Biden’s campaign or his campaign apparatus. She would need more money than normal because we would be starting from zero. You can’t just flip a switch .

She doesn’t have a campaign setup with money already on hand. So even if she raised at the same level as Joe, she’s behind.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 2