[DOOM THREAD] 2024 Presidential Election Thread - Oh. My. God. We may be fucked.

bolverk

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

If you're talking about giving Manning a chance that's one thing. If you're talking about pulling a random guy out of the crowd who you've never seen throw a football because he looks pretty that's a completely different thing. 

aggy gonna sue

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Be on the lookout today for all the concern trolling and bot accounts spreading more disinformation. 

Biden is old/senile/not running the country
Watch out for the bait and switch for Newsom, Hillary, Pete, etc. - it was the DNC plan all along to keep legitimate challengers like Bernie from running
Project 2025 is overblown
Vote third party, it's the only way to end the duopoly and both parties are the same
Never would have been in this mess if everyone voted for Bernie in 2016, he'd be finishing up his second term

IGNORE IT! 

Parks And Rec Spinning GIF

Screenshot_20240701_160203_X.jpg

• Rage+1 3

33 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I'd like to think it was at all possible for him to do something that any normal human would do, like go on some latenight show for a sit down or do a face to face with some anchor for 30 minutes.  That'd reset the news cycle.  But there's a reason he hasn't been doing those up to now.  

He did that interview with Howard Stern. That was a month ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I'll reluctantly vote for Biden only because it's Trump.  I would have voted for Haley or certainly a Romney over this version of Biden in an alternate universe.   I don't think Biden is fit for another term after the debate debacle.   I'm voting for him solely because his "team" has done a decent job but another term would basically be the equivalent Otto and Alicent running everything for Viserys at the end of Season 1 of House of the Dragon (for those that watched).   The Republican party is a lost cause and a threat to democracy.  I'm critical of the Dems because it was up to them to strategize a way to keep power and it appears they have blown it. 

How do you square these?

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

How do you square these?

The key phrase was "in an alternate universe".  Meaning an alternate universe where someone like Romney is the Republican nominee.  In that alternate universe, the Republican party is not a lost cause and a threat to democracy.  Instead, we have the party of Trump which doesn't remotely resemble the Republican party pre-Trump.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I honestly don't know much about her, other than that the magats in her state tried to have her killed.  What makes her so great?

This is one of the points I like about her... she knows how crazy MAGA is and will act accordingly.

She's also the Governor of a purple state, with high approval ratings, a growing economy, and has shown the ability to get things done in a divided congress (only 2-person dem advantage in both lower and upper houses).

She's also a good communicator, and I think she would resonate with union members, suburban women, minorities (Michigan is 15.8% African-American... Texas is 12.2% by comparison), and Muslims (2.4% of Michigan pop.).

Finally, unlike Newsome and Pritzker, her reputation hasn't been dragged through the mud by the right...

2 hours ago, immamac said:

It's Biden or Kamala Harris. Stop being idiots. There is no outside option from the existing ticket, it's entirely too late and the power of the incumbent office is not something you can just toss aside. 

2012 called and they want their antiquated thinking back.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

I'll vote for whoever against Trump. Biden could die and they could run him with some kind of Weekend-at-Bernie's-esque scheme, and I'd vote for his corpse.

Unfortunately I live in Texas, so it doesn't actually matter what I vote.

This is the problem.  I would vote for an old, smelly jock strap over Trump, but I also live in Texas.

My fear stems from friends I've talked to since the debate, who are so disappointed by the choice between Biden and Trump that they are almost out of fucks to give.  One told me he's almost rooting for Trump because he's what America deserves.  These are normally Dem voters, but they have no enthusiasm for Biden.  Frankly, I don't either, but I'm at least planning to vote for him.

8 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

Only weird online people care about the debate and it doesn't reflect how ordinary people feel.

7 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Strongly disagree. I don’t care much for debate winners and losers. They’re often a mess. Ordinary voters will look at this and see a man incapable of speech. It was disastrous for Biden. 

We are just a few days away from another major news story sucking up all of the air in the room.  People will have forgotten this by the end of the week if not sooner.  Hell, Trump’s sentencing will leave a longer impression.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

You don't get it. None of us are saying that it's actually fine that the Democratic nominee looks like the cryptkeeper and clearly has dementia. We're not giving Biden the worshipful Notorious RBG "he should get to choose when to step aside" treatment.  I personally don't give a fuck about Joe Biden.

What we are doing is explaining why all of y'all's magical alternatives are actually even worse options if your goal is to beat Trump. The only plausible alternative to Biden is Kamala Harris. If he decides to step aside and she's our nominee, I'd be fine with that, but there's no reason to think it materially changes our chances of beating Trump. And most of the people demanding an alternative now don't want it to be her.  That's precisely why so many of you are dreaming impossible brokered convention scenarios. Whitmer, Newsome, and Pritzker don't want the huge fucking shitshow they would have on their hands from cutting in front of Harris without even running in any primaries. And Michelle Obama doesn't want the fucking job, and even if she did she suffers from most of the same electoral weaknesses (black woman) that are the reason y'all don't want Harris to be the nominee. At least she's not as publicly weird as Harris usually is, but there's actually no evidence that she'd be more likely to beat Trump than Biden is.

I guess you all know more than Carville?  I mean, he's a damn legend as far as strategy for the Dems and he's calling for change.  But the cabal here knows more.  Makes sense.  He's saying we should at least look at alternatives to Biden (and Kamala), not bury our head in the sand.  There's others but that's just one name I'm listing because I posted his comments the other day. 

And if I need to say it with every post, I guess I will...fuck Trump, of course, always and forever.  And fuck his enablers even more, especially the Supreme Court.  Assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 6

I’m as in the bag for Biden as they come.  I donated to his campaign.  My hatred for Trump cannot be understated.  Before last week I adamantly defended Biden to anyone who poopooed him, rattling off the accomplishments of his administration and juxtaposing his fitness for office against Trump.  

Biden’s appearance and performance in the debate shook me.  That motherfucker is too feeble and diminished to be POTUS.  Full stop.  Coming out of that, I would definitely categorize myself as “desperate” for an alternative to Trump AND Biden.

I will still vote, and would say it is extremely likely that I am voting for Biden.  But I am now shifting my energy away from supporting Biden to highlighting the need for systemic change (I.e. ranked choice voting) so that we don’t get in this situation again.  (Note: RFK Jr. is not a serious candidate so not an alternative.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Carville is not infallible. He had some pretty bad takes in 16 and 20. He didn’t think anyone in the 2020 Dem field could beat Trump. He thought 2016 was suicide for the GOP

Carville has been living in his weird ass mansion listening to Mary Matalin for fucking decades now. Taking his word as political gospel is like taking Larry Summers' word as economic gospel.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Carville is not infallible. He had some pretty bad takes in 16 and 20. He didn’t think anyone in the 2020 Dem field could beat Trump. He thought 2016 was suicide for the GOP

He's definitely not - he's just someone who's opinion should be considered.  But many here who have the exact same opinion have been told over and over, STFU, it's Biden or bust and don't even discuss alternatives.  Like dozens of posts with that same theme...

• Hook 'Em 4

Also, after today it's time for y'all to stop being a bunch of bitches. If Biden does decide to step aside for Harris great, I'll support her fully and I'll call my racist Nam vet stepdad every day for the next few months to convince him he needs to vote for her anyway. If it's still Biden, y'all need to cowboy the fuck up and tell everyone you know you'll vote for his literal corpse over Trump and demand that they do too because of what's at stake.

I know it's shocking to many of us, but before today there were still tons of Americans who didn't get what's at stake in this election (hell, we had one here in CR the other day saying this will be the least consequential election ever).  SCOTUS has clarified it for everybody. So I don't care if you need to fake optimism until you feel real optimism, or if you can get by with Brits-during-the-blitz style grim determination, but stop with the fucking whining.  Start arguing with your friends who are thinking about not voting, or are thinking about voting for RFK, or are thinking about voting for Trump even though they don't think they're fascist. And if they are consciously fascist, why the fuck are you friends with them and don't you know how easy it is to get rid of a body? That's a joke if SCOTUS asks. We still have a chance to stop them from retaking power. And this might actually be their last gasp. Trump is in worse health than Biden and they've put everything they possibly can behind him. That's not the behavior of people who think they'll ever have another shot. They're even more desperate than we feel right now, because they know they can never convince actual majorities to support them.  Think how fucking awesome it will feel to beat Trump and know that John Roberts has to confront the fact that he'll go down in history as literally the worst chief justice of all time and that he did it for fucking nothing. 

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Also, after today it's time for y'all to stop being a bunch of bitches. If Biden does decide to step aside for Harris great, I'll support her fully and I'll call my racist Nam vet stepdad every day for the next few months to convince him he needs to vote for her anyway. If it's still Biden, y'all need to cowboy the fuck up and tell everyone you know you'll vote for his literal corpse over Trump and demand that they do too because of what's at stake.

I know it's shocking to many of us, but before today there were still tons of Americans who didn't get what's at stake in this election (hell, we had one here in CR the other day saying this will be the least consequential election ever).  SCOTUS has clarified it for everybody. So I don't care if you need to fake optimism until you feel real optimism, or if you can get by with Brits-during-the-blitz style grim determination, but stop with the fucking whining.  Start arguing with your friends who are thinking about not voting, or are thinking about voting for RFK, or are thinking about voting for Trump even though they don't think they're fascist. And if they are consciously fascist, why the fuck are you friends with them and don't you know how easy it is to get rid of a body? That's a joke if SCOTUS asks. We still have a chance to stop them from retaking power. And this might actually be their last gasp. Trump is in worse health than Biden and they've put everything they possibly can behind him. That's not the behavior of people who think they'll ever have another shot. They're even more desperate than we feel right now, because they know they can never convince actual majorities to support them.  Think how fucking awesome it will feel to beat Trump and know that John Roberts has to confront the fact that he'll go down in history as literally the worst chief justice of all time and that he did it for fucking nothing. 

And more to the point, all of this hand-wringing is fucking dumb. No one here, literally no one, has any say over what happens. Whether it’s Biden or Harris or Newsom or Whitmer, get in fucking line and vote in November against fascism. That’s all that matters. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Biden’s appearance and performance in the debate shook me.  That motherfucker is too feeble and diminished to be POTUS.  Full stop.  Coming out of that, I would definitely categorize myself as “desperate” for an alternative to Trump AND Biden.

Sorry to break it to you but according to some of the mensa candidates on this board this makes you a fascist.  

I suppose maybe it's timely to raise Reagan's performance in the 1984 debate, in Ron's words:

At 73, Ronald Reagan would be the oldest president ever re-elected. Some voters were beginning to imagine grandpa — who can never find his reading glasses — in charge of a bristling nuclear arsenal, and it was making them nervous. Worse, my father now seemed to be giving them legitimate reason for concern. My heart sank as he floundered his way through his responses, fumbling with his notes, uncharacteristically lost for words. He looked tired and bewildered.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I suppose maybe it's timely to raise Reagan's performance in the 1984 debate, in Ron's words:

At 73, Ronald Reagan would be the oldest president ever re-elected. Some voters were beginning to imagine grandpa — who can never find his reading glasses — in charge of a bristling nuclear arsenal, and it was making them nervous. Worse, my father now seemed to be giving them legitimate reason for concern. My heart sank as he floundered his way through his responses, fumbling with his notes, uncharacteristically lost for words. He looked tired and bewildered.

If Reagan would have lost would we ended up a banana republic?  Stakes are quite a bit higher I'd say...

You guys with the fucking inept comparisons to Reagan and Hitler and Stalin and Mussolini and Bush.  It's not the similarities that are troubling, it's the differences.  

You're comparing Trump to dictators and bad leaders who operated completely with historically tyrannical norms.  But with intent.  This guy is doing it, without even knowing it, as a workout clause with a bank and a court.  But yeah, let's have a "turn out the vote" concert for the youth, that should course correct thousands of years of despotism.  

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not my point.  Even The Great Communicator had some massive fumbles, on a debate stage, and won reelection while facing questions about his age and infirmity.

He ran against a guy vowing to raise taxes (and right when the most self-centered generation was looking to get paid), an economy on the rebound from a quite dismal period, and his party lockstep behind him.

Biden does have the opponent whose ceiling does seem to be ~42%, which is nice. But he's facing a press that will not allow people to think this economy is even OK, and is a Democrat, for whom being in lockstep is a rarity, and certainly a longshot this go 'round.

We need to accept that we're off the map here. That doesn't mean either course is preferable, it just means, to me, that the predictive value of any previous election is rather thin. About the only thing I agree with, in that regard, is the power of incumbency.

I think if Joe wasn't going to seek reelection, he would've said so long before now.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We are just a few days away from another major news story sucking up all of the air in the room.  People will have forgotten this by the end of the week if not sooner.  Hell, Trump’s sentencing will leave a longer impression.

No matter how much people want it to go away, it ain’t. 

7 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Yeah and when he bungles the September debate, what then? Wait to see how the third goes?

image.png.5c8ed1d2a1e58d044988e9e98181b60f.png

Haven't y'all noticed that Trump wasn't really gloating about the debate? Have y'all seen what undecided voters have said about it? Minorities have mostly been angry about whatever Trump meant by "black jobs" and most other undecideds already thought Biden was too old, so him being old didn't really change anything. This freakout is almost entirely among the center-left who finally realized we're in for a real fight, which was always the case and a better debate from Biden wouldn't have changed that.

• Hook 'Em 6

47 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

What September debate?  

Trump's not going to give Joe another shot.

This. 

41 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

image.png.5c8ed1d2a1e58d044988e9e98181b60f.png

Haven't y'all noticed that Trump wasn't really gloating about the debate? Have y'all seen what undecided voters have said about it? Minorities have mostly been angry about whatever Trump meant by "black jobs" and most other undecideds already thought Biden was too old, so him being old didn't really change anything. This freakout is almost entirely among the center-left who finally realized we're in for a real fight, which was always the case and a better debate from Biden wouldn't have changed that.

And also that

I’m going to put this here instead of the Israel thread because I think it is actually more important here. 

My buddy has a step-daughter (no pics) who is 23, educated (UT degree), and fairly interested in politics and the goings on in the world. At least she claims to be. 

He found out she was very upset about the student protests being shut down on campus. When he talked to her about the Gaza situation, her and her friends apparently thought Israel was just bombing Gaza for the fuck of it. They had NO CLUE about October 6th. 

I’m as anti-Israeli government as anyone, but these kids may not vote in November because of the Gaza situation, and they don’t even understand it. Turbo. Fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Feeble old man or guy who talks openly about wanting military tribunals to prosecute his political enemies...you know the same thing he claims his opponent has done with the DOJ?

https://dnyuz.com/2024/07/01/trump-amplifies-calls-to-jail-top-elected-officials-invokes-military-tribunals/

Edited by mdmost
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’m going to put this here instead of the Israel thread because I think it is actually more important here. 

My buddy has a step-daughter (no pics) who is 23, educated (UT degree), and fairly interested in politics and the goings on in the world. At least she claims to be. 

He found out she was very upset about the student protests being shut down on campus. When he talked to her about the Gaza situation, her and her friends apparently thought Israel was just bombing Gaza for the fuck of it. They had NO CLUE about October 6th. 

I’m as anti-Israeli government as anyone, but these kids may not vote in November because of the Gaza situation, and they don’t even understand it. Turbo. Fucked. 

Spoiler alert dude, they weren't gonna vote anyways.  We're roughly the same age and have been hearing from MTV to pop-up ads this "Rock the Vote"/"Turn out the Youth" bullshit for 25 fucking years.  Every cycle, a new wave of voters gets more access to more socio-political/geo-political information than ever before.  And they still turn out in lower and lower numbers.  It's a fucking non-starter.  

We're not special, but we're different.  We've been hooked on politics since we were teenagers.  Yeah, part of it was to seem edgy and cool and get laid like faking interest in the Dave Matthews Band.  But we were genuinely interested.  This whole fucking forum is an outlier.  We're just nerds who have the luxury of sitting back as educated people with some modicum of success and freedom with which to onboard legitimate socio-political information.  We're not stupid, but we're not smart.  We just have the luxury to read and think critically and not have to protest shit we don't even comprehend on the off-chance it may result in a hand-job behind the paddy-wagon.  

The delicate balance is the most nuanced in American elections since the Civil War era.  How do you ridicule enough middle-bloc Trump voters to sit this one out in certain states while not being so offensive to their snowflake self-compromise that they vote him anyway just to spite you.  Fuck college aged voters, they never a fucking thing.  And when they go home for Thanksgiving, it'll either be the best meal they've ever had in their lives or the start of a civil war.  Thanks be to God, hallelujah, holy shit.......pass the gravy. 

• Hook 'Em 1