[DOOM THREAD] 2024 Presidential Election Thread - Oh. My. God. We may be fucked.

bolverk

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You’re kind of a dimwit if you think there’s nothing analogous between the two. Again, your assertion is that the loser of the first contest has nothing to gain from a rematch.

You’re missing the point that for people who don’t follow politics closely, watching this debate and seeing Biden’s condition was like watching a Charlie Strong game and knowing right from the coin flip the game would be lost and the season was likely down the drain. 

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

Put differently this is 2016 all over again. A hold your nose and vote candidate vs a Republican shit show of a candidate. 

It’s significantly worse than ‘16. Trump as POTUS is a known dangerous entity. Hilary was lucid and competent. Turnout will be less. 

I also disagree with you on Biden not doing another debate. If he is not replaced (only viable option for win), he must appear in another debate. It’s obvious. I do think it doesn’t matter, because the damage is done and/or the next performance is not likely to be significantly better.

I also disagree with your notion that people here aren’t the ones not voting. You’re going to see it across the country.  

She sucked in 2016.  Trump has sucked his whole life.  Biden is on the brink of sucking for the short time he has left.  

As a precautionary measure, I contact Consulate General Gonzales to seek dual citizenship with Mexico as is my birthright.  In addition, Consulate Schustermann in New York with the Israeli UN group to claim my right of return (along with my family).  Other option is Portugal but it will take much longer.  I suggest the rest of you keep buying ammo, or canned food, or whatever the fuck moronic shit you have planned.  Because even if this goes the correct way, I'd rather prefer a war where people actually knew who they wanted to shoot and where.  Versus what is coming, disenfranchised people who feel invalidated in myriad states just shooting to shoot with no clear end-game.  Have it folks, good luck.  See you on the dark side of the moon.  

It feels, within reason, that most seem to believe we're near 50/50 in this election, maybe 49/51 in favor of whatever mood you are in that day. Regardless, it's tight.

If you substituted Biden with Newsome, Whitmer, Pete, or Kamala (I'm leaving out people with 0 experience in governing even though I'd love to see what Obama could do) - do you believe the election would move even more favorably for Trump? I have a hard time believing that.

• You're making a last second switch of candidate and essentially circumventing the primary process and hitting a reset button - really bad.
  • You take away the primary rallying cry for Trump - great.
  • You swing those undecideds, especially in the youth polling, that can't relate to either - great.
  • You motivate the currently unmotivated on the left to come out and vote - great.
  • You show your party is capable of making a hard ass decision that could backfire greatly because you're doing what's best for the country, you gain the moral high ground - tbd because I'm not totally convinced that's actually worth anything.

It's a scary ass decision but I can definitely see the argument for it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Js1 said:

This is absolutely exhausting.  No one is going to agree on a path forward except to vote against Donald Trump. 

So just do that.  Vote against Trump.  Fucking A, for all we know, Biden plans to resign on January 21, 2025.

exactly. it doesn't make a shit who it is, if their name is opposite dotard's, they're getting my vote. ffs, if you would even pretend to have a conundrum with that choice you should have your head checked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Ok, let's assume that's true.  Who's he going to debate?  

Why would Trump agree to another debate with Biden?

If I were advising him, I probably wouldn’t advise he do that. Imma has entered the chat making some wildass dumbass comments, and one of them was that Biden has no need to debate. If Trump agrees, he has EVERY NEED to debate. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Do you think Joe Biden can be convinced? That's all that matters right now.

Sure-there’s zero reason for the campaign to float that he might be willing but I bet that conversation is ongoing.  It might not even be about Biden’s willingness-if Kamala says “I want the big chair” and wants Biden to back her (which, come one, would be fair-Biden was rumored to have felt betrayed when Obama supported Clinton over his grieving VP in 2016) then it’s poised to have the kind of messiness that doesn’t line up for victory in November.  Biden is only surrendering if he gets to pick the candidate and he thinks they can win.

FWIW, in support of this version of what’s going on is her people are already putting that idea out there.  

37 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The debate wasn’t a turning point. People already knew they were going to vote for a lying sack of shit who is open about being a traitor to America. The debate just confirmed that. Biden could have gone Obama oratory style and it wouldn’t have changed anyone’s mind. They already knew what they were going to do. Biden voters were still going to vote for Biden regardless of his debate performance. You’re seeing them admit that now. Some of them want a change, sure, but they aren’t going all of a sudden not vote for Biden in November. If he’s on the ballot, he’s getting their vote. 

Either I’m misunderstanding your post, or your take is completely wrong. Myself and most of my friends are independents. We/I pretty much decide most elections. As I posted earlier, that debate caused several people to go from a firm plan to vote Biden to either no voting, voting libertarian or voting Trump. I tell everyone at every opportunity that I’ll vote for a rotting corpse over Trump, but there aren’t enough independents like me. That debate performance was that bad. 

25 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Really bad take from an otherwise good poster.

This theory assumes we live in a binary world with only Democrats and Republicans.  But the truth is that independents determine the outcome of elections in the US.  And we are not enthusiastic about either option, and many might stay home because...truth bomb...Project 2025 and Trump doesn't threaten them.  To be clear, I'm voting Biden (or whoever the Dems nominate), but I live in Texas so it might not matter.

Correct. But there aren’t enough of us after that debate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What should they have done? Support a challenge to their own incumbent?

In a sense, yes.  

I think the donor class should have made it clear that they would not support his re-election and given him the chance to bow out gracefully, on his own terms.  Obviously, that didn't happen, so here we are... next best option is that he drops out now, citing health concerns and wanting to spend time with his family.

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Do you think Joe Biden can be convinced? That's all that matters right now.

Yes, I think it can, and should be done. 

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

exactly. it doesn't make a shit who it is, if their name is opposite dotard's, they're getting my vote. ffs, if you would even pretend to have a conundrum with that choice you should have your head checked. 

Well I'm sorry to have to tell you that it's not your vote or mine we're worried about. Or anyone here's vote. 

And yes, it has to be Biden's decision. It's not something they can just declare. I would bet, or hope, that they've been working on him since last Thursday. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Well I'm sorry to have to tell you that it's not your vote or mine we're worried about. Or anyone here's vote. 

And yes, it has to be Biden's decision. It's not something they can just declare. I would bet, or hope, that they've been working on him since last Thursday. 

My imagination says they are working through the process of talking to Kamala first, getting her onboard with not being the nominee, and getting some power brokers to agree on someone else to throw support around before announcing they are doing this.

2 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

I’ve never posted here, and I’ll probably regret it but I think this is pretty much dead on, I don’t really follow the inner workings of politics all that clearly so I will make a few points, 1. I am really not a fan of Trump, I’d consider myself a moderate. 2. I watched Biden speak in the 2020 debates and he seemed very strong and in control. 3. No way in hell am I voting for Biden after that debate performance, I have seen senility and Alzheimer’s and maybe that’s not what Biden has but to be honest that version of the POTUS shown in that debate is actually somewhat terrifying. As it stands I’m voting for neither, and a lot of people I know feel the same, too much uncertainty with Biden, not voting for Trump, I think a lot of people are missing the amount of people who simply won’t vote for either. Yes, that debate absolutely changed a lot of minds, it was somewhat terrifying and caused a lot of uncertainty with a lot of people. I am not a political expert, just a working class blue collar guy , so forgive my somewhat simple take.

I know there will be a host of posters that pile on and bash your take but we all need to get on board that there are A LOT of people who share this opinion regardless of your opinion of this opinion. Put in someone else on the D ticket and you actually have a shot at their vote.

1 minute ago, BrickTop said:

I’ve never posted here, and I’ll probably regret it but I think this is pretty much dead on, I don’t really follow the inner workings of politics all that clearly so I will make a few points, 1. I am really not a fan of Trump, I’d consider myself a moderate. 2. I watched Biden speak in the 2020 debates and he seemed very strong and in control. 3. No way in hell am I voting for Biden after that debate performance, I have seen senility and Alzheimer’s and maybe that’s not what Biden has but to be honest that version of the POTUS shown in that debate is actually somewhat terrifying. As it stands I’m voting for neither, and a lot of people I know feel the same, too much uncertainty with Biden, not voting for Trump, I think a lot of people are missing the amount of people who simply won’t vote for either. Yes, that debate absolutely changed a lot of minds, it was somewhat terrifying and caused a lot of uncertainty with a lot of people. I am not a political expert, just a working class blue collar guy , so forgive my somewhat simple take.

do you also own a timeshare?

but seriously, this "simple" take is so fucking infuriating. it has never been more true than today that a vote for "neither of these guys" is a vote for trump. straight up. and I feel this take to be fairly disingenuous because the part most people are focusing on in the debate happened in the very beginning and Biden righted the ship as the debate progressed. It still wasn't great, but he wasn't Mitch McConnell'ing it and freezing for a full minute. and unless you're a doctor, gtfo with the I'm a brain expert take and I know what senility looks like. But, sure, we're once again faced with a choice of a "a candidate I don't like a whole lot" and the fucking devil incarnate who is hell bent on installing a dictatorship. same same. ffs.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

My imagination says they are working through the process of talking to Kamala first, getting her onboard with not being the nominee, and getting some power brokers to agree on someone else to throw support around before announcing they are doing this.

I think it was on one of the POD shows, and I can't remember who exactly said it, but they said Obama, Pelosi, and Schumer were going to have "the talk" with Biden. I think if enough people he knows and trusts give him the "thanks for your service, but it's time" speech, he'll do the right thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

As it stands I’m voting for neither,

Then you don’t get to bitch in 2025 if Trump wins. Just vote for the party apparatus and platform. I don’t understand why we treat POTUS as this end all, be all god figure.

I don’t understand if you can’t vote for Biden, but would pull the lever if they jettisoned him and put up Kamala. You’re basically doing that regardless. Who cares if she’s president on Jan 20, 2025 or June 20, 2025

Shes going to be POTUS between now and 2028 if they win. We all know it. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I’ve come around to the idea that switching might not be a disaster.  I think most of the Biden coalition voters are baked into opposing Trump and the remainder are open to an alternative not named Kamala.  Biden’s debate performance and the media fixation with it will provide the permission in most voters minds.

I've come around as well. All this year, I was fully onboard with the thought that switching nominees less than a year before the election was absolute lunacy. Losing the incumbency advantage and not giving the new nominee time to really campaign and become a household name would have appeared desperate as fuck.

Switching now is still desperate as fuck...but it also shows an acceptance of reality, rather than continuing to hide Biden and lie about his mental acuity. Everyone has parents and grandparents; we all know what it looks like when it goes from senior moments and memory lapses to "oh shit, let's at least start looking at homes." It happens quick, and it's not forgiving. He's done his part in an incredibly stressful job, and he beat Trump. It's okay to step aside and acknowledge Father Time. Moreover, it would be seen as kindness to not have him continue aging in peace with his family, not under the spotlight. 

You'd still get all the Biden voters. You'd still get the anti-Trump voters. You'd probably get a decent chunk of the "giant meteor" voters if you ran someone competent under 70.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Wrong. His best chance to make everyone forget about the first one is to turn in a solid performance in a second one. That should be self-evident.

No one is going to forget the first one. Trump will flood the airways with reminders. 

The problem is it could also be worse. Mental decline isn't linear. It was really sad to see how fast my grandmother went from carrying on an intelligent conversation to having no clue who was talking to her or what was going on around her.

Those predicting it to be better remind me of all those sports experts that predicted CO would get revenge in the 2005 B12CG.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Then you don’t get to bitch in 2025 if Trump wins. Just vote for the party apparatus and platform. I don’t understand why we treat POTUS as this end all, be all god figure.

I don’t understand if you can’t vote for Biden, but would pull the lever if they jettisoned him and put up Kamala. You’re basically doing that regardless. Who cares if she’s president on Jan 20, 2025 or June 20, 2025

The SCOTUS would like a word with you. 6 of them, at least.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I know there will be a host of posters that pile on and bash your take but we all need to get on board that there are A LOT of people who share this opinion regardless of your opinion of this opinion. Put in someone else on the D ticket and you actually have a shot at their vote.

This is where I’m at, and a lot of people I know, run anyone against Trump with a pulse he gets steamrolled, you can’t say Biden was having a bad day or a cold or whatever, he was cognitively impaired in multiple facets and unless you a diehard democrat only voter no one is going to vote for that, even some lifelong democrats won’t vote for that. Regardless of whether POTUS actually runs the country he is the figurehead, and Biden looked lost, not a shred of strength to be seen.

Just now, BrickTop said:

This is where I’m at, and a lot of people I know, run anyone against Trump with a pulse he gets steamrolled, you can’t say Biden was having a bad day or a cold or whatever, he was cognitively impaired in multiple facets and unless you a diehard democrat only voter no one is going to vote for that, even some lifelong democrats won’t vote for that. Regardless of whether POTUS actually runs the country he is the figurehead, and Biden looked lost, not a shred of strength to be seen.

did you watch the whole debate? did you watch his rally the next day? did you watch his speech last night?

methinks we have a troll in our midst

• Hook 'Em 1

but seriously, this "simple" take is so fucking infuriating. it has never been more true than today that a vote for "neither of these guys" is a vote for trump. straight up. and I feel this take to be fairly disingenuous because the part most people are focusing on in the debate happened in the very beginning and Biden righted the ship as the debate progressed. It still wasn't great, but he wasn't Mitch McConnell'ing it and freezing for a full minute. and unless you're a doctor, gtfo with the I'm a brain expert take and I know what senility looks like. But, sure, we're once again faced with a choice of a "a candidate I don't like a whole lot" and the fucking devil incarnate who is hell bent on installing a dictatorship. same same. ffs.

As infuriating as it may be to you, it exists on a higher population of the country than you’d like to admit.
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

lol, all the surly brain doctors are chiming in today. f the offseason

yeah, concluding that his brain isn't as sharp as it was a few years ago takes many many degrees.

We’d be able to right wipe out his debt. We’d be able to help make sure that all those things we need to do – child care, elder care, making sure that we continue to strengthen our health care system, making sure that we’re able to make every single solitary person eligible for what I’ve been able to do with the Covid. Excuse me, with dealing with everything we have to do with – look, if – we finally beat Medicare.

• Hook 'Em 2

Biden is President TODAY and has been for 3.5 years. What are some of you actually worried about happening in a next term? The party has a platform and they have shown they can already operate efficiently and effectively from what they have already accomplished.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

did you watch the whole debate? did you watch his rally the next day? did you watch his speech last night?

Every minute of it, and you would be incorrect, I will go back to just watching cloak room and letting you keep your blinders on, sorry for the dissenting opinion.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

Not flexing? Just stating a perspective that is shared probably more than you’d like to admit.

I really don’t care. This isn’t a joke. This is a serious election and you  2 choices. Pick one. Vote against Project 2025, fascism, bthe daily chaos we all experienced. It’s been a nice 4 years not waking up and wondering what fresh hell is going to come out of DC

Sometimes you don’t get the perfect choice. You’re an adult, you know this. 

Life is literally about picking the least bad option. Everyday. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

No, he's not a troll. He represents a reality that some on here don't want to deal with. No, he probably didn't watch the rally the next day. I didn't because I don't care to. I'll vote for the Dem regardless but that's not going to be the case for everyone and this board needs to figure that out. The debate was Joe's moment to show he wasn't diminished. He failed. Now it's all about playing catch up to knock down that lasting image. The perception of the debate is now the reality for Biden. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, StassneyHorn said:

Biden is President TODAY and has been for 3.5 years. What are some of you actually worried about happening in a next term? The party has a platform and they have shown they can already operate efficiently and effectively with from what they have already accomplished.

no shit. Biden is one person. there are other capable people. oh, and if something happens to him, there is a plan for that too. but sure, let's opt for fascism because old people are icky

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, good luck with that "intervention speech" with a sober 81 year-old.  Worked out super for America when y'all tried it with Ginsberg.  

It just makes your party look disconcerted and chaotic.  

Enough with your naive "Hey, maybe college educated suburban women will come out for Biden because of the Roe ruling" -or- "The Youths and Blacks will sure turn out in greater numbers!"  You have to punch Trump's middle voter bloc just enough so a few million stay home, but not so much they get out to vote to spite you.  The rest of this is just performative nonsense.  Oh yeah, that neighborhood canvassing effort can really turn things around.  Everybody is locked in, even Biden.  Only thing left to do is to ignore the first rule of voting, "Turning Out the Vote", and go the other way, "Keep People at Home."  

Nobody's changing horses 4 months before the election.  But you can get people to stay in their stables.  

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, StassneyHorn said:

Biden is President TODAY and has been for 3.5 years. What are some of you actually worried about happening in a next term? The party has a platform and they have shown they can already operate efficiently and effectively with from what they have already accomplished.

we

are

worried

about

winning

an

election.

heysoos cristo.  you don't win elections with skeletor at the top of the ticket.  90-99% of this board is voting for biden. we all get this. problem is he won't be president next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

Not flexing? Just stating a perspective that is shared probably more than you’d like to admit.

It’s interesting that people think that’s a flex. It’s not. It’s just what people do because their country’s antiquated political system dictated two woefully substandard candidates to them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Red Five said:

The whole "not getting to the next term" part.

Also the whole, a majority of the country now thinks this. 

I think RFK will get more votes now especially from people who feel it is their duty to vote but won't vote for Biden or Trump. Which effectively hands the election to Trump. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

we

are

worried

about

winning

an

election.

heysoos cristo.  you don't win elections with skeletor at the top of the ticket.  90-99% of this board is voting for biden. we all get this. problem is he won't be president next year.

You absolutely win with incumbency.

9 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Well, we've actually had a brain doctor opine on this and he was branded a heretic, so...

And you can scoff at the reality of an unmotivated electorate all you want but know you're doing it at the peril of the nation.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s interesting that people think that’s a flex. It’s not. It’s just what people do because their country’s antiquated political system dictated two woefully substandard candidates to them. 

This is more where I’m at, apathetic. The fact that these are the best two candidates we trot out to run for president.
  • Hook 'Em 1