[DOOM THREAD] 2024 Presidential Election Thread - Oh. My. God. We may be fucked.

bolverk

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Well, we've actually had a brain doctor opine on this and he was branded a heretic, so...

And you can scoff at the reality of an unmotivated electorate all you want but know you're doing it at the peril of the nation.

I'm not scoffing at anything. I'm yelling at clouds at the fact that people are cherrypicking their media to inform their vote. Neither of those assholes demonstrated worthiness to get my vote based on that first debate. But one of them is trying to keep this country afloat and the other is actively trying to tear it down. He has looked fine in every appearance since then. If this is the standard where are the calls to remove dotard? oh, right.

4 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

Yea, the actual doctor’s opinion wasn’t enough for you, mine definitely won’t be.

what are you talking about? I thought you never posted in here.

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Then you don’t get to bitch in 2025 if Trump wins.

Neither do those who have been ignoring the warnings for the past 8 years by nominating Clinton and Biden, when the electorate was sending crystal clear signals that they wanted a change.

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Just vote for the party apparatus and platform.

You don't understand what being an independent means, do you?  We have political ideologies that span both parties.  We tend to vote for candidates, not parties.

The Dems can bitch about it, and lose, or take our opinions into consideration by putting forth an inspiring candidate and win.  Your choice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

This is more where I’m at, apathetic. The fact that these are the best two candidates we trot out to run for president.

Since you are here, I would just implore you, if these are the two choices in November, to vote for the people that they've chosen to surround themselves with. The Biden White House is supremely competent and can withstand an "in name only" President. 

Trump's White House was full of literal criminals, the slimiest people on Earth, and constant turnover. His answer to that is going to be to surround himself with even more loyal leaches. They're not even hiding it, hence Project 2025. He is the swamp. Birth control and gay marriage bans ARE coming, among many other horrible things, whether they directly affect you or not.

It's a shitty choice...but it's still a remarkably easy choice.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

Neither do those who have been ignoring the warnings for the past 8 years by nominating Clinton and Biden, when the electorate was sending crystal clear signals that they wanted a change.

You don't understand what being an independent means, do you?  We have political ideologies that span both parties.  We tend to vote for candidates, not parties.

The Dems can bitch about it, and lose, or take our opinions into consideration by putting forth an inspiring candidate and win.  Your choice.

ronald mcdonald omg GIF by McDonald's CZ/SK

• Hook 'Em 3

oh well if an random internet poster said, then it must be true!

you never answered my question about the timeshare.

No, no time share, like I said random working class guy.
oh well if an random internet poster said it, then it must be true!

you never answered my question about the timeshare.

Random poster? He is a doctor isn’t he? Wouldn’t that be a subject matter expert?

Perfectly stated, it’s not the party it’s the candidate.

10 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

More actual elected officials need to be public about this instead of being "unnamed sources."

I can't for the life of me figure out why Biden even wants a second term unless it's for his traveling circus of a family.  History will judge him well as a voluntary one termer.  (Got us out of covid, economy bounced back, rebuilt the western alliance, infrastructure bill, etc.)  If he wants any sort of post presidency life at all, he'll retire now and not at 86.  

• Hook 'Em 1

You realize this is why everyone thinks there's a CR cabal? This guy came in not trolling and not doing a gotcha bullshit trump voter bait to get a rise out of people and you guys are jumping down his throat instead of educating him on why sitting out or voting 3rd party this election is better than the current option they have. 

Whatsthebuck is being a fucking troll which is why I troll bashed him. 

• Hook 'Em 7

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm yelling at clouds at the fact that people are cherrypicking their media to inform their vote.

I get that, but yelling at clouds won't help change this fact of life.  Only changing candidates will.  Not saying Gretchen's chances of winning are 100%, but I do think they are better than Biden's.  

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

If this is the standard where are the calls to remove dotard?

You know the answer to this... we all do.

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

More actual elected officials need to be public about this instead of being "unnamed sources."

I can't for the life of me figure out why Biden even wants a second term unless it's for his traveling circus of a family.  History will judge him well as a voluntary one termer.  (Got us out of covid, economy bounced back, rebuilt the western alliance, infrastructure bill, etc.)  If he wants any sort of post presidency life at all, he'll retire now and not at 86.  

Probably because he feels he's the only person who can beat Trump since he's done it before. If Trump wasn't the candidate, he would've probably passed the baton to Kamala. 

• Hook 'Em 3

You realize this is why everyone thinks there's a CR cabal? This guy came in not trolling and not doing a gotcha bullshit trump voter bait to get a rise out of people and you guys are jumping down his throat instead of educating him on why sitting out or voting 3rd party this election is better than the current option they have. 

It’s all good man, that’s why I mainly just read these threads, too many get bashed for not having the same opinions.
  • Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

but seriously, this "simple" take is so fucking infuriating. it

You know what is infuriating?  The fact that people can't comprehend someone with the level of mental decline displayed last week should not be President of the United States.   Everyone with this take is letting their hatred for Trump mask the reality of what would be in office for the next 4 years.   

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Probably because he feels he's the only person who can beat Trump since he's done it before. If Trump wasn't the candidate, he would've probably passed the baton to Kamala. 

But he's flat out wrong on that.  Plenty of Dems could beat Trump and right now he's the riskiest.

No Democrat will ever please all of the "independents" or "centrists." You replace Biden, you'll gain some and lose some. But sometimes, even if you hate both candidates, the "lesser of two evils" is way, way, way lesser. That's where we are currently. If you don't like Biden, fine, go vote against trump, who is a legitimate threat to democracy.

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

They do it all the time. It’s the same group of 10-20 similarly minded people who just all start bashing on any viewpoint that isn’t 100% positive pro progressive Democratic viewpoints. It’s a bunch of bright people that have no idea they are just as biased and closed minded as all the people they complain about. Been going on for years.  Irony. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

You do realize that the people posting here aren't the ones who aren't voting right? There's a significant contingent that needs to vote that are undecided or "checked out". The debate didn't check them in, but come time to vote in November with the choices people will likely just "sit this one out". That's the problem, not that anyone is changing their vote. There's lots of data supporting your position of people not changing their vote etc, it's the people who weren't sure if they were gonna vote or just don't want to vote for either who got further away from turning out. 

Low turnout is going to be a favorable outcome for Donald Trump in key states. 

we just need the same folks who voted for Biden in 2020 to show up again and not a single one of those folks are going to change their vote to the orange guy after that debate.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I can't for the life of me figure out why Biden even wants a second term unless it's for his traveling circus of a family.

This is exactly why I think he wants to run.  He knows he and his family are fucked if Trump is elected, and his ego won't allow him to put that danger in someone else's hands.

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Whatthebuck is not my favorite poster but you’re embarrassing yourself in your discussion with him. You’re 100% wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

The great middle doesn't see the existential threat that Trump is. They want lower taxes, cheap prices on the goods they buy, to go to work and raise their kids. They don't pay attention to this at the same level or passion as people on the left and right. 

well then they should vote for BIden because Trump will raise taxes on anyone not super rich, enact more stupid policies that led to the inflation Biden has finally tames, and trump will create a hostile violent society for them to raise their kids and work in. Did I mention that Biden's policies have actually created jobs and lowered the unemployment rate? This shit is too easy...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

We are going to lose this election because people are being whiny cowards, think about this for a second, stop posting, get angry that you are being manipulated by Donald Trump and reach your fucking senses.

Stop allowing panic to set in, stop allowing Trump to terrorize you into making a mistake, and stop being neurotic, you guys are overthinking this.

If the worst debate in the history of humanity did not move needles then Biden falling asleep every single day in front of the cameras will have no effect. You all would rather be right than win, I stopped wanting to be right the minute I argued Hillary was a mistake... in the fucking primaries.

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

well then they should vote for BIden because Trump will raise taxes on anyone not super rich, enact more stupid policies that led to the inflation Biden has finally tames, and trump will create a hostile violent society for them to raise their kids and work in. Did I mention that Biden's policies have actually created jobs and lowered the unemployment rate? This shit is too easy...

Well then I guess Democrats and Biden have a messaging problem. They are sitting on a massive amount of cash. Poll after poll shows people don't feel the economy is great. People still feel everything costs too much and they're right. No, that's not solely on Biden but people vote with their wallets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Dems would lose absolutely zero votes if they swapped out Biden.  Please.  They'd only pick up more depending on who it is.

Gretchen Whitmer/Cory Booker would win in a landslide.

Gretchen is the best bet because Booker could easily be cast as an East Coast Elite.  Plus NJ is likely safe.  Michigan is a midwestern swing state, as are most of its neighbors... and I like her chances with suburban women.

true. hopefully there's a shitload more younger folks and a lot fewer olds.

I think what a lot of people are missing is that regardless of party’s lot of regular people just want a candidate to vote for that is neither of these two. I’d vote for Obama again in a heartbeat. As pissed as that makes some people when you get down to it, it’s pretty easy, a dipshit reality tv star with a heavily checkered past and a guy whose mental competence is now in question.

35 minutes ago, mdmost said:

No, he's not a troll. He represents a reality that some on here don't want to deal with. No, he probably didn't watch the rally the next day. I didn't because I don't care to. I'll vote for the Dem regardless but that's not going to be the case for everyone and this board needs to figure that out. The debate was Joe's moment to show he wasn't diminished. He failed. Now it's all about playing catch up to knock down that lasting image. The perception of the debate is now the reality for Biden. 

people didn't watch him shoot the shit with voters at the wafflehouse at 1am after the debate either. He was grandpa old but he was in his element and did great even had a repeatable zinger "it's hard to debate a liar."

I don't know what happened, I honestly think it's a function of (i) age - acknowledging some kind of decline, (ii) stuttering is coming back (hard to control as you age), (iii) a slight panic attack at the mile a minute lies, (iv) he was coached to be someone other than "look here" folksy grandpa Joe, (v) a cold, and (vi) later in the evening.

But all of us are navel gazing about Biden, Trump was an angry lying asshole. He's not gaining ground on his performance, it was abysmal.

all of that said, I would prefer a different candidate, but I think there is a real concern about the logistical ability to switch - the campaign funding apparatus, the campaign staffing, the intel, and the GOTV apparatus. These things are "owned" mostly by the candidate and built over years, not days. There are also interconnections with other organizations, GOTV non-profits, etc. etc. that will be disrupted to some extent. Biden's campaign, even if you handed it ALL over to the next candidate is not going to simply keep running as is. Switching 120 days out is a very dangerous move.

so in this set of circumstances, I will vote Dem no matter what. Anyone who sees Trump as a threat should do the same, and maybe, just maybe in four years its Kamala or Gavin versus Haley and we can have a real debate about the candidates.

Edited by troph

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Dems would lose absolutely zero votes if they swapped out Biden.  Please.  They'd only pick up more depending on who it is.

Gretchen Whitmer/Cory Booker would win in a landslide.

That is not what history says, people would simply argue that they do not know who Whitmer is, GOP would never vote for her and here we are.

The danger is not losing votes, it is people not voting, there are not enough people that have their minds open at this stage.

Just now, BrickTop said:

I think what a lot of people are missing is that regardless of party’s lot of regular people just want a candidate to vote for that is neither of these two. I’d vote for Obama again in a heartbeat. As pissed as that makes some people when you get down to it, it’s pretty easy, a dipshit reality tv star with a heavily checkered past and a guy whose mental competence is now in question.

I would vote for Obama or Romney in a heartbeat.  Amazing we've gone from that level of candidates in 2012 to this shit sandwich.  Idiocracy has arrived well ahead of schedule.

• Like 1