[DOOM THREAD] 2024 Presidential Election Thread - Oh. My. God. We may be fucked.

bolverk

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

I would worry about how she would do with the old school (white guy) Dems I those states

To be fair, Democrats' support among the Midwestern white working class has collapsed. I am not worried about an old school Democrat that stayed with the party to vote for Clinton and Biden defecting when Trump is on the ballot again.

It's the middle/upper middle class middle aged white voters who just don't like Harris's tone for some strange reason that I'd worry about. And seniors.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

To be fair, Democrats' support among the Midwestern white working class has collapsed. I am not worried about an old school Democrat that stayed with the party to vote for Clinton and Biden defecting when Trump is on the ballot again.

It's the middle/upper middle class middle aged white voters who just don't like Harris's tone for some strange reason that I'd worry about. And seniors.

How many of those are still around in the Democratic party? I cannot fathom that person being a likely voter, and a likely Biden voter, in the first place.  There are some middle and upper class whites in swing states, but the majority of them vote along party lines and in their own perceived interests. Who among those people will stay home if Biden's not on the ticket? However many there are, I would say we get that back and then some with lower and middle class black women who might have stayed home.

This is also a great chance to try and win back some of those Muslim voters in Michigan who vowed never to support Genocide Joe.

28 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Wonder if there would be some benefit in selecting a ticket where neither candidate has been circulating thru the Fox hate machine for years. They’d catch up, for sure, but that reflexive hatred wouldn’t be there.

there isn’t one person that watched Fox News nightly that is voting for a dem president. Why the fuck should the democrats be running candidates that “haven’t been polluted by Fox News/newsmax/youtubeNaziguy”

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

If you don't draw the line somewhere you're only delaying the enivitable. If not now, when?

There will never be a line in the sand.  Trump's 1st term provided more than enough evidence that he's completely unfit for office.  The "undecided" voters will continue to do whatever mental gymnastics necessary to justify voting for Trump/3rd party until the country/world no longer exists.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I mean, my man,a moment of clarity for me would be “convicted felon tries to wrest control of the United States of America “.  Yeah I’m gonna vote for that guy!

No, they just won't vote at all which means the convicted felon wins unless Biden has more people who will still vote for him. The enthusiasm gap is only going to grow larger if Biden keeps stumbling. Or they'll waste a vote on the brain wormed, babysitter assaulting dog eater. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

There will never be a line in the sand.  Trump's 1st term provided more than enough evidence that he's completely unfit for office.  The "undecided" voters will continue to do whatever mental gymnastics necessary to justify voting for Trump/3rd party until the country/world no longer exists.

Well, then give up.

5 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

So nothing.

Twas a movie quote, serious guy. 

I think people have dropped all decorum and are pissed off. I think we’re bound for non-regional civil war. Until then, we have become satire. This isn’t exclusive to the right. It’s both fringes, and I’m not sure fringe describes growing and very vocal minorities. 

Edited by Rex Kramer

8 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

51mm people turned on the debate, and the majority of the those already wondered if Joe Biden could still do the job. Now they know he can’t. There is no coming back from this and no historical analogy applies.  He could go dap somebody at every Waffle House in America every day between now and November and it won’t change the fact that independent voters in 5 key states will not come his way, period. The window to change minds is closed. It‘s plan B or plan T.

And so the other option is voting for Trump who if elected won’t do the job because he doesn’t know how to or doesn’t really care to. He will just spend his time getting back at anyone he doesn’t like, getting the US out of NATO to help his buddy Putin and doing a major con on the American people. And he’ll spend the next four years trying to get Congress and the Supreme Court to allow him to never leave office.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

What did you see? Not being argumentative btw. 
What I saw was 10 mins of what the fuck is this guy trying to say. And it was concerning. After that I saw Joe Biden being old. And it was softer in tone than he has been.
I didn’t see a guy who was senile or didn’t have a grasp of what was going on. I didn’t see a guy who had no understanding of what the issues are. I also saw him go after Donald pretty effectively once he got off of talking point and started winging it.
Basically my point is a I saw an old guy, not a mentally incapacitated one. 
Not to be crass but I don’t really care if he’s old and dies in office so long as he’s alive long enough to win. Nothing before, during, or after the debate makes me think he’s on the verge of death.

Two things can be true at once. Everything you just wrote is true and yes, seeing it in that context was stark. 

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Well, then give up.

There's no need to give up, but waiting for some magical line in the sand via something Trump says or does to turn off the undecided voters or some of his base is past wishful thinking at this point.

The hope is that the Dems figure out their own line in the sand to get the fence sitters to move towards their camp whether that be Biden stepping down, or Biden stringing together a town hall and some live interviews where he can at least look/sound lucid the whole time.

Edited by Captain Obvious

And so the other option is voting for Trump who if elected won’t do the job because he doesn’t know how to or doesn’t really care to. He will just spend his time getting back at anyone he doesn’t like, getting the US out of NATO to help his buddy Putin and doing a major con on the American people. And he’ll spend the next four years trying to get Congress and the Supreme Court to allow him to never leave office.  

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

there isn’t one person that watched Fox News nightly that is voting for a dem president. Why the fuck should the democrats be running candidates that “haven’t been polluted by Fox News/newsmax/youtubeNaziguy”

This really fucks with my brain.  I see what I think are perfectly normal black folks - older and pleasant like most of my patients - watching FoxNews every time I see them.  I can’t wrap my head around these people all getting behind trump but I think that has to be the case.  And don’t get my started on the Hispanics.  We sooo fucked.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This really fucks with my brain.  I see what I think are perfectly normal black folks - older and pleasant like most of my patients - watching FoxNews every time I see them.  I can’t wrap my head around these people all getting behind trump but I think that has to be the case.  And don’t get my started on the Hispanics.  We sooo fucked.  

The same phenomenon showed up this year when season 4 of The Boys came out. MAGAts suddenly realized they were being skewered. For 3 seasons of relentless lampooning of the right, our lemming neighbors somehow loved the show. Unfortunately, I doubt there will be a politics equivalent to the season 4 Trumpkin entertainment awakening.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just tried to catchup on a week's worth of posts in this thread. What have I learned? Not a g-damned thing. Except for maybe:

Donald Trump Politics GIF by BuzzFeed

A few years ago there was no way in hell I thought we would seriously be about to elect the Cheeto dusted felon again. Here we are.

Fuck.

12 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

He is too old. He's not incompetent. He's not prone to damage the republic. He gives a shit.

The only question is which candidate is better for the country in the role of president. The choice between these two men is the easiest in any election ever. It's crazy.

I think this is the argument many see for having him step aside.  Why not take his big issue of age/competence away and put someone up with isn't too old, isn't incompetent and isn't prone to damage the republic. Someone who can also energize the base to get out and vote.  With Trump on the other side there should be no downside to do so.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I think this is the argument many see for having him step aside.  Why not take his big issue of age/competence away and put someone up with isn't too old, isn't incompetent and isn't prone to damage the republic. Someone who can also energize the base to get out and vote.  With Trump on the other side there should be no downside to do so.

Poor reactionary strategy. Only going to be setup for failure especially this close to election. If this was the strategy it should have been put in place well over a year ago

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Shit I think Don carried a couple of south Texas counties last election. 

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Poor reactionary strategy. Only going to be setup for failure especially this close to election. If this was the strategy it should have been put in place well over a year ago

This is emblematic of an opinion which I don’t think there’s any evidence to support, and that’s “if Harris or whoever had been campaigning a year ago the ultimate result would be better.”

If Biden withdraws you’re going to see an unprecedented amount of media attention in a short span of time and I think in this particular case, it won’t hurt at all to have only been on the trail a couple of months.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

If they do make a change, Mark Kelly sure seems like an obvious choice for VP.

A Harris/Kelly ticket almost certainly wins AZ and probably wins GA due to Harris juicing black turnout in Atlanta.  That makes PA decide the election which I think heavily favors Dems.

A Whitmer/Kelly ticket almost certainly wins MI and AZ.  Same deal, PA decides the election.

I think Biden currently projects to lose GA, AZ, WI, and NV, and PA and MI are toss-ups.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

If they do make a change, Mark Kelly sure seems like an obvious choice for VP.

A Harris/Kelly ticket almost certainly wins AZ and probably wins GA due to Harris juicing black turnout in Atlanta.  That makes PA decide the election which I think heavily favors Dems.

A Whitmer/Kelly ticket almost certainly wins MI and AZ.  Same deal, PA decides the election.

I think Biden currently projects to lose GA, AZ, WI, and NV, and PA and MI are toss-ups.

Virginia leaning our way?

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

If Biden withdraws you’re going to see an unprecedented amount of media attention in a short span of time and I think in this particular case, it won’t hurt at all to have only been on the trail a couple of months.  

bingo - it potentially sucks the oxygen out of the atmosphere

• Hook 'Em 2

Looks like jd Vance’s minions have been out there trashing burgum for the last 24-48 hours.

Also, it’d be wise to get some polling on a Harris/_________ ticket to see what the public thinks. If it’s her, her VP is definitely going to be a White man which it should be. NBC news is reporting Kamala’s allies are strategizing just in case Biden throws up the deuces. 

• Hook 'Em 1