2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The truth is Cheeto is unpredictable and ultimately the more he talks the more he turns people off. Maybe they are banking on the Repub convention giving them so great talking points.

His handlers are going to do their absolute best to keep him in a bunker (next to a golf course) until November. Here's hoping he does what he always does and just can't help himself.

Great job, American legal system.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

lol Wasserman was still declaring a red wave at 7pm on election night 2022.  This is pretty false, but to be fair, the zone was flooded by GOP polls pointing to that narrative and the pundits refused to believe otherwise. 

If you’ve got that tweet from Wasserman, please post it. Best I could find was the final Cook projections:

15-30 seats is not a red wave and they had 36 seats as tossups, so more broke for D’s than R’s. 

Just now, aggie08 said:

His handlers are going to do their absolute best to keep him in a bunker (next to a golf course) until November. He's hoping he does what he always does and just can't help himself.

Great job, American legal system.

He won’t be able to keep it together. I had this dream (yes I know it will never happen) that Trump only wants to be President for a month. To get pardoned/saved and he will feign some health issue and resign a month in and  it’s really the VP nominee sweepstakes that we should all be watching. Trump hates living in the WH.  Does he really want to do this shit for four years? He likes rallies and stuff where people chant for him but he hates all that stuff like the actual President activities. Camp David. He thinks the actual White House is a shithole. He just wants to win and raise money for himself and get a full pardon. 

I should stop taking gummies before I go to bed. That was just a dream. Not gonna happen. Sigh….

Can we please stop with the "don't believe any poll, ever, in fact believe the opposite" bullshit? Polls are almost always accurate. They were within one point in 2022 and within one point in 2020. If we're pinning our hopes on the outside chance that, for the first time ever, the polls are off by way more than one point AND that they're somehow underestimating the guy who missed a meeting with a head of state because he was too sleepy, we might as well embrace a culture of awarding plaques for national championships that haven't happened yet.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Can we please stop with the "don't believe any poll, ever, in fact believe the opposite" bullshit? Polls are almost always accurate. They were within one point in 2022 and within one point in 2020. If we're pinning our hopes on the outside chance that, for the first time ever, the polls are off by way more than one point AND that they're somehow underestimating the guy who missed a meeting with a head of state because he was too sleepy, we might as well embrace a culture of awarding plaques for national championships that haven't happened yet.

This is where I am. I remember all the Romney supporters wanting to “unskew the polls” back in 2012 and then they turned out pretty accurate. Any one poll can be dismissed as an outlier, that certainly happens, and some pollsters are more reputable than others to be sure, but when you have lots of polls telling you roughly the same thing over time, it’s foolish to ignore them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

i repped you because i hate motivated thinking in reading these polls.  the polls are the best evidence we've got.  but i also think they suck ass and it won't surprise me if they're wrong.  the 2020 ones particularly sucked.  

The 2020 polls featured polling error of an unusual magnitude: It was the highest in 40 years for the national popular vote and the highest in at least 20 years for state-level estimates of the vote in presidential, senatorial, and gubernatorial contests.5 Among polls conducted in the final two weeks, the average error on the margin in either direction was 4.5 points for national popular vote polls and 5.1 points for state-level presidential polls

https://aapor.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/AAPOR-Task-Force-on-2020-Pre-Election-Polling_Report-FNL.pdf

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Guys, if you think Trump is going to win 18-35 year olds, have I got a great deal on some oceanside property in Arizona for y'all!

This. Or 25% of black voters. 

3 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i repped you because i hate motivated thinking in reading these polls.  the polls are the best evidence we've got.  but i also think they suck ass and it won't surprise me if they're wrong.  the 2020 ones particularly sucked.  

https://aapor.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/AAPOR-Task-Force-on-2020-Pre-Election-Polling_Report-FNL.pdf

I'm curious how much that 4.5 points would change if you restrict the sample set only to pollsters with a B-rating or higher.

I'm curious how much that 4.5 points would change if you restrict the sample set only to pollsters with a B-rating or higher.

they are purporting to show it compared to the polls throughout the previous decades.  i can't imagine that the high 2020 error is because they decided to cram a bunch more questionable polls in the 2020 evaluation (thus ramping the error up) while maintaining only good polls in the pre-2020 analysis (this keeping old error low).

don't know for sure though how the qualify what poll to look at any year though.

4 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

they are purporting to show it compared to the polls throughout the previous decades.  i can't imagine that the high 2020 error is because they decided to cram a bunch more questionable polls in the 2020 evaluation (thus ramping the error up) while maintaining only good polls in the pre-2020 analysis (this keeping old error low).

don't know for sure though how the qualify what poll to look at any year though.

I think 2020 will be remembered as the pollster's equivalent of a Par 5 on a windy day. Only the best pollsters knew what adjustments to make, whereas everyone else grossly overcorrected, undercorrected, and/or generally looked like the fucking amateurs they are.

This thread is bad for my health so this is likely the last thing I'll post in here (maybe?): there isn't shit you and I can do about this situation. The primaries happened, Joe is the nominee, and right now it looks like his name will be on the ballot. I also have no reservations about voting for ANBODY else with a D next to their name, should Joe need to step aside. Hand-wringing on this side does us no good. Continue to use your energy to expose as many people as possible to the horrors that await if dotard is re-elected. Assure anyone who has doubts about Joe's capacity that the Constitution already has several processes and guardrails in place should the president not be able to perform his duties. From everything I have seen before and after the stupid debate, i have no reason to believe Joe cannot perform his duties. He has so far and continues to. Unless and until he cannot, then we have to focus our energies on spotlighting how awful the other side is. Beyond that it's just mental masturbation that will end in brain blue balls.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Interesting that the drumbeat of Joe has got to go has picked up again today. I thought they’d at least keep their powder dry until the Big Boy press conference tomorrow. 

Watch that CBC meeting. If they turn on him, he’s done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think 2020 will be remembered as the pollster's equivalent of a Par 5 on a windy day. Only the best pollsters knew what adjustments to make, whereas everyone else grossly overcorrected, undercorrected, and/or generally looked like the fucking amateurs they are.

Presidential golf talk not going away

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Interesting that the drumbeat of Joe has got to go has picked up again today. I thought they’d at least keep their powder dry until the Big Boy press conference tomorrow. 

If this happens it will be the first time in my lifetime that the DNC actually did something that resembles trying to win an election. Every D victory has usually been in spite of, and not because of, the DNC.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Fuck it, Joe, accept his golf challenge. I don't care if you lose. I'll pay to see that fat fuck waddle around a golf course having every single shot televised and accurately tallied 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Fuck it, Joe, accept his golf challenge. I don't care if you lose. I'll pay to see that fat fuck waddle around a golf course having every single shot televised and accurately tallied 

JD Vance will be his Smithers

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952bmz1egr2sm2fgnrzxs

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

If this happens it will be the first time in my lifetime that the DNC actually did something that resembles trying to win an election. Every D victory has usually been in spite of, and not because of, the DNC.

Yeah, I don't see this as some giant, unhealthy, infighting mess. Adapting to new information and what's important to your constituents is what we all say we want. Fuck the "stand behind the big guy no matter what and never admit to being wrong" mentality that we ridicule the GOP for.

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Guys, if you think Trump is going to win 18-35 year olds, have I got a great deal on some oceanside property in Arizona for y'all!

I don’t know what’s going on. Americans have short attention spans and even shorter memories. Constant news about the “bad economy” and inflation, I think, has had an effect on how people remember 2017-2021

18 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Make it a bike race.  See if Trump's fat ass can even get on one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I think the CBC and the CHC are backing Joe for leverage to ensure that Kamala will be the candidate if he steps down. If the Democrats can’t guarantee Harris will be the nominee, I don’t think they will support him stepping down. This is just a theory and I have no proof but it would be a very strategic move for Harris supporters. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, mdmost said:

He has to be willing to go for this to not become a complete cluster fuck. Instead, he's going to be stubborn, like an old person, and not listen to everyone telling him that he's no longer up to the task. Anyone who has dealt with an elderly relative knows how those conversations tend to go. We can only hope the sense of resignation hits him before it's all too late. It would've been better for everyone if this happened at the State of the Union instead of all us seeing it as Fool's Gold. 

Everyone in the Executive Branch needs to be looking at how best to foil what Trump plans to do when he's elected. Put as many roadblocks as you can right now if it's an option. We better pray the Democrats keep the Senate and gain some seats in the House. That's our only path to keeping this country from slipping away. 

13 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Even if you say the Presidency is likely lost at this point with Biden or a replacement I wonder how it would impact the House and Senate- Biden vs no Biden.

Dem leadership (lol) seems to think Biden should stay in even after looking at the terrible poll numbers lately. Weird.

The Democrats cannot win the Senate without the White House barring some total collapse of support on the GOP side that sees something like Allred winning Texas or Dems holding WV or something stupid. At that point, Democrats would win the presidential election anyway. The Dems could lose only WV - holding PA, MI, WI, NV, AZ, MT, and OH - and still lose the Senate at 50-50 with VP Bergum/Vance.

I have been pretty bullish on Democrats' chances in the House. Of course if the Biden campaign has truly imploded and this election really ends up with a Trump outright popular vote victory all bets are off, but there is plenty of evidence for Democratic congressional candidates outperforming Biden and given the general disapproval of both presidential candidates, people may vote for a check on the president with their congressional votes.

Flipping the House would avert total disaster but Trump and the GOP can accomplish a lot with the WH and Senate, with SCOTUS in their back pocket too. Alito and Thomas will retire and be replaced by 45 year old FedSoc goons.

5 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

What so amazing is how out of the blue this was.  There was just no way to anticipate last year when he was 80 that he would be 81 this year. 

This is funny but honestly that is by far the worst public performance Biden has had given the length, total lack of coherence, and platform. Before you could see he was aging but generally seemed to keep it together well enough for his age. You had people like Kevin McCarthy providing quotes attesting to his ability to function in private. The SOTU, which was not exactly the 4pm Lubys buffet, was fine. It does seem like the dam has burst in recent months.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Pelosi: Biden better make a decision soon

Biden: I’ve decided Im running unless God says don’t run

Pelosi: better decide again, I mean

lol yeah that statement was fucking weird.

Those of us that have lost a parent to mental decline can attest to the way it seems to accelerate from “Grampa is slowing down but otherwise good” to “we need to take away the keys and start calling retirement homes” 

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Those of us that have lost a parent to mental decline can attest to the way it seems to accelerate from “Grampa is slowing down but otherwise good” to “we need to take away the keys and start calling retirement homes” 

We're all Gen X-ers or close here which means we all know exactly what you're talking about.  That first phase can lead to that second phase quickly.

This needs to be addressed with both candidates, quite frankly.  If you have any experience with dementia, you can see Trump is just a few years away from having major problems.

• Hook 'Em 6

38 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

He should respond by challenging Trump to a lie detector test-off. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)

Not a good start today reading from cards at NATO Summit. Tried to speak off the script. Went right back to script. 

I want to cry. 😭 I’ve been there with relatives. It’s sad to watch. If Dems want him out then a united damn front. No defections. Everyone on same page. It’s too fucking important. Either all together behind him or all together forcing him out. Strong arm. Remind him this can and will get ugly. The division hurts all of us. Jmo.

again I’m not some political bigwig or donor. I don’t know anything. But that which cannot continue won’t. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 3

Follow the money.  From the WSJ:

Campaign finance rules create an incentive for Mr. Biden to stay in the race through the Democratic National Convention in August. At that point, but not before, Mr. Biden would be able to transfer his campaign’s anticipated $100 million war chest to Vice President Kamala Harris, assuming that she, too, is still on the ticket.

If Mr. Biden drops out before the Democratic Party formally makes him its nominee, then Federal Election Commission rules dictate that no more than $2,000 of any campaign funds that he raised may be transferred to any other candidate, including Ms. Harris. The Federal Election Campaign Act governs what a presidential campaign may do with “excess campaign funds,” which is what the money left in the Biden for President campaign will legally be considered if he is no longer a candidate. Those excess funds may be contributed in an unlimited amount to the Democratic National Committee or an independent expenditure committee. Presidential campaigns may also contribute such funds to other federal campaigns, subject to contribution limits, which are $2,000 per election.

In short: Before the nomination officially goes to Mr. Biden, his campaign is limited to donating $2,000 to the Democratic nominee, whether that new standard bearer is Gavin Newsom, Gretchen Whitmer or Ms. Harris.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Not a good start today reading from cards at NATO Summit. Tried to speak off the script. Went right back to script. 

I want to cry. 😭 I’ve been there with relatives. It’s sad to watch. If Dems want him out then a united damn front. No defections. Everyone on same page. It’s too fucking important. Either all together behind him or all together. The division hurts all of us. Jmo.

again I’m not some political bigwig or donor. I don’t know anything. But that which cannot continue won’t. 

The Congressional leadership should demand an in person meeting.  His refusal to meet with the Senate Dems was disrespectful.  They should make it clear behind the scenes that they meet with him and no family members.  If not, bounce him at the convention and humiliate him.  

Believe it or not, the President of the United State has no leverage here.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

If the GQP wins the senate they will get rid of the filibuster and add 4 justices. They don’t give a shit about decorum and tradition. The Democrats fucked everything when they had the chance. 

The Dems fucked up when they didn’t invoke the nuclear option to confirm the Merrick Garland nomination.

The Dems fucked up when they didn’t push RGB off the court when she was already old and sick.

The Dems fucked up when they lost to Donald Trump the first time because they thought he was a big fucking joke.

It’s nice to see some Dems trying to actually do something instead of just sitting back and letting shit like this happen again. 

• Hook 'Em 8

8 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The Congressional leadership should demand an in person meeting.  His refusal to meet with the Senate Dems was disrespectful.  They should make it clear behind the scenes that they meet with him and no family members.  If not, bounce him at the convention and humiliate him.  

Believe it or not, the President of the United State has no leverage here.

Bouncing him at the convention would take a level of cooperation that does not exist.

Until the party is united against him, he has leverage.

13 minutes ago, baboso said:

Follow the money.  From the WSJ:

Campaign finance rules create an incentive for Mr. Biden to stay in the race through the Democratic National Convention in August. At that point, but not before, Mr. Biden would be able to transfer his campaign’s anticipated $100 million war chest to Vice President Kamala Harris, assuming that she, too, is still on the ticket.

If Mr. Biden drops out before the Democratic Party formally makes him its nominee, then Federal Election Commission rules dictate that no more than $2,000 of any campaign funds that he raised may be transferred to any other candidate, including Ms. Harris. The Federal Election Campaign Act governs what a presidential campaign may do with “excess campaign funds,” which is what the money left in the Biden for President campaign will legally be considered if he is no longer a candidate. Those excess funds may be contributed in an unlimited amount to the Democratic National Committee or an independent expenditure committee. Presidential campaigns may also contribute such funds to other federal campaigns, subject to contribution limits, which are $2,000 per election.

In short: Before the nomination officially goes to Mr. Biden, his campaign is limited to donating $2,000 to the Democratic nominee, whether that new standard bearer is Gavin Newsom, Gretchen Whitmer or Ms. Harris.

good info. given that so much of the $ would have to be spent to raise the next person's profile (can't just all be anti-Trump ads that DNC/independent could do), this seems very limiting.

19 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I want to cry. 😭 I’ve been there with relatives. It’s sad to watch. If Dems want him out then a united damn front. No defections. Everyone on same page. It’s too fucking important. Either all together behind him or all together forcing him out. Strong arm. Remind him this can and will get ugly. The division hurts all of us. Jmo.

It’s elder abuse at this point. 

• Rage+1 1