2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Senior Trump Advisors that attended this week’s NATO Summit in Washington reportedly told Representatives from Members within the Alliance of ongoing Plans, if Trump is Elected in November, to Significantly Scale-Back the amount of U.S. Support and Cooperation within NATO, which would include a Reduction in Intelligence Sharing with certain Member and Partner Nations.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Senior Trump Advisors that attended this week’s NATO Summit in Washington reportedly told Representatives from Members within the Alliance of ongoing Plans, if Trump is Elected in November, to Significantly Scale-Back the amount of U.S. Support and Cooperation within NATO, which would include a Reduction in Intelligence Sharing with certain Member and Partner Nations.

Can I get a link for that?

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

We actually should do this with Hungary, I'm sure that's what they meant right?

... Right?

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.politicususa.com/2024/07/10/debate-crissi-report-bogus.html

A multi-university project called CHIP50, which includes Northeastern University, Harvard University, Rutgers University, and the University of Rochester, issued a new report concluding that the first presidential debate had no impact on voter preferences.

The report found:

The predominant pattern we see in the data is stability in voters’ preferences. Overall, 94% of those who chose Biden and 86% of those who chose Trump in our May survey still preferred the same candidate after the debate. There was a small rate of change from Biden to Trump or vice versa– less than 3% shifted in either direction. We observed more churn between those who favored either Biden or Trump and the “Other” category. About 4% of Biden’s and 6% of Trump’s supporters in the earlier wave shifted to “Other” post-debate. At the same time, 6% of “Other” shifted to Biden, and another 6% shifted to Trump.

The evidence available from CHIP50 does not substantiate the view that the presidential race shifted away from Biden in the immediate aftermath of the recent debate. We also suggest that media reporting on the presidential race should not interpret small apparent changes in voter preferences as reflecting a real change in the state of the race (where “small” should roughly be interpreted as less than twice the margin of error of a survey). For pollsters who use a panel (that is, the same respondents at multiple points in time), we would also recommend reporting the rate at which respondents have shifted among different possible responses.

TLDR (from the article itself): Democrats who are calling for Biden’s removal are playing into a crisis that the media created. There is no statistical support for the idea that voters have left Biden or that there is an urgent need for Democrats to replace their nominee.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I didn't even think of the fundraising issue. Lots of regular donors are gonna hold back, and who the fuck is gonna START donating to the Biden campaign at this point?

Another metric that will force him out soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

https://www.politicususa.com/2024/07/10/debate-crissi-report-bogus.html

TLDR (from the article itself): Democrats who are calling for Biden’s removal are playing into a crisis that the media created. There is no statistical support for the idea that voters have left Biden or that there is an urgent need for Democrats to replace their nominee.

This is correct.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

This is correct.

No, this is gaslighting. People (including myself and friends) were discussing the need to replace Biden DURING the debate. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 4

Fetterman is sticking up for Biden on Fox News but he said he didn’t actually watch the whole debate. It’s easy to be a huge Biden supporter when you didn’t watch that disaster of a debate. 

6 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Fetterman is sticking up for Biden on Fox News but he said he didn’t actually watch the whole debate. It’s easy to be a huge Biden supporter when you didn’t watch that disaster of a debate. 

Why do you even need to watch the debate? Do you magats even listen to the bullshit spewed out of Trump's mouth. Now outside of that just compare the waste of 4 years under Trump to the 3.5 years under Biden. Who gives a fuck, a President needs to surround themselves with the most capable staff who can help guide the entire nation. Now ask yourself why Trump has no support from anyone who worked for him those 4 wasted years? 

You are in a cult of stupid pieces of old shit!

39 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

This is correct.

So where are we at with Trump being toast legally, and everyone thinking otherwise being negative nancies? I mean, I wish you were right...

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

No, this is gaslighting. People (including myself and friends) were discussing the need to replace Biden DURING the debate. 

Yeah I had a friend text during the debate "Geez I was gonna vote for Biden but think I'll just stay home at this point. That was pathetic. Two terrible options."

I guess we'll see what the turnout is like in November. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Yeah I had a friend text during the debate "Geez I was gonna vote for Biden but think I'll just stay home at this point. That was pathetic. Two terrible options."

Tell your friend if he stays home then he’s choosing Trump.

Harris isn’t getting removed. Her crowds are getting larger, and she’s found something on the abortion issue.

She just had 20,000 in Dallas at the AKA National Convention.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Captainant said:

Can I get a link for that?

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/07/10/trump-considering-cutting-intel-sharing-europe-00167503

Trump considering cutting back intel sharing with Europe, officials warn

Donald Trump is considering a reduction in intelligence sharing with members of NATO, which depends on the U.S. for the type of information that has helped Ukraine fend off Russia, according to foreign officials informed of the plans.

Trump advisers have told allied countries the reduced intel sharing would be part of a broader plan to scale back U.S. support and cooperation with the 32-nation alliance, according to three European officials and a senior NATO official, who were granted anonymity to discuss internal discussions.

The officials said they learned about the proposal to curb intelligence-sharing during discussions with Trump advisers about broader plans to reduce U.S. involvement with NATO. The former president repeatedly questioned and sought to undercut the alliance during his first term in office.

The curtailment of intel could have dire security consequences, especially for Ukraine as it tries to repel the Russian invasion.

“It’s the American intelligence that helped convince a lot of NATO countries that Putin was resolved to invade Ukraine,” one European official said. “Some countries didn’t believe Russia had the capabilities to carry out a successful military campaign.”

• Rage+1 3

4 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I mean, really? These are starting to sound like "stories" of visiting fans at aggie.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Joementum is real!

In all seriousness, I know national polls only mean so much and a NPV tie will be an EC loss for Biden, but these tossup polls are relevant because they are giving the Biden camp ammunition for their argument to stay in the race.  The longer it looks like he has a shot, the harder it is for anyone to force him out. It’s only July, and making up 2-3 points between now and November is a lot more realistic than having to make up 5-7. 

13 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This entire election is going to be like watching that Iowa/Nebraska football game over Thanksgiving weekend.  Somebody gotta win.

But you also put your life savings on Nebraska and the over.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

The Joementum is real!

In all seriousness, I know national polls only mean so much and a NPV tie will be an EC loss for Biden, but these tossup polls are relevant because they are giving the Biden camp ammunition for their argument to stay in the race.  The longer it looks like he has a shot, the harder it is for anyone to force him out. It’s only July, and making up 2-3 points between now and November is a lot more realistic than having to make up 5-7. 

I mean, Joe's definitely still in this thing... I just don't see him as being capable of doing the things that would shift momentum.

• Hook 'Em 1

For what it's worth, NPR did a segment this morning on Harris that seemed like more of a promo piece, talking about how after a rocky start as VP finding her role and voice in the administration, she's really started hitting her stride and finding an audience.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Were Vice Pres. Kamala Harris to replace Biden as the Democratic nominee, vote choices are 49-46%, Harris-Trump.

But so many people said she can't winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, South Austin said:

For what it's worth, NPR did a segment this morning on Harris that seemed like more of a promo piece, talking about how after a rocky start as VP finding her role and voice in the administration, she's really started hitting her stride and finding an audience.  

I’m too lazy to go look them up but I think there have been similar profiles in the last two weeks in NYT, WaPo, and WSJ. 

• Hook 'Em 1

NYT editorial board comes out against Trump.

It’s quite obvious NYT hates both options. I wonder if they even endorse this year unless the top of the Dem ticket changes 

IMG_2666.thumb.jpeg.e9b5d334dbdc0aec11169f15fe181771.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

I also think it got missed that Trump is reportedly down to 2 options for VP - Vance or Burgum.

If the GOP puts up Trump/Burgum (and let’s be real, he brings more personal wealth than Vance and Trump can just bleed him dry), you want a real good contrast with a Harris (59) and someone like Beshear (46) or Kelly (60) to go up against Trump (78) and Burgum (67)

Isn’t that what everyone has been dying for? A younger ticket? It’s right there in front of you! 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

they've been openly talking about it for some time

I know this whole "we're not gonna pay into NATO until other countries kick in their share!  We're throwing away too much money at Ukraine when we have problems at home." is an American tale told 100 different ways over the last 60+ years (with some other country being substituted for Ukraine).  

Maybe something Trump, MAGA, and Project 2025 should consider---we have dozens of known military installations in Europe...some very close to Ukraine in Poland and Romania.  We do joint air force training missions in their airspace with them.  And there 100,000 U.S. military personnel and hundreds of thousands more contractors and just regular U.S. citizens living abroad within striking distance.  What happens when one errant surface-to-air missile from Russia's positions accidentally hits a U.S. bird over Poland or Romania.  What happens if a surface-to-surface missile kills even one American in Lithuania or Slovakia because they're pushed farther into Ukraine and some dipshit Orc makes a guidance mistake because we're not talking with NATO about where our people are and where the Russian S-missile systems are deployed?  Never mind Article 7, what's Commander's Dipshit plan when Americans start being killed because of this. There have been some SpecOperators there to train up UDF and statistically speaking, a handful probably have died.  And the DoD sent their family's tragic news of a training operation accident stateside.  But civilians or U.S. military personnel get killed outside Ukraine, or a USAF jet gets into any trouble while patrolling/training alongside the Ukraine border.  That's not something you can hide.

But as usual, Donald really thinks things through. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

NYT editorial board comes out against Trump.

It’s quite obvious NYT hates both options. I wonder if they even endorse this year unless the top of the Dem ticket changes 

IMG_2666.thumb.jpeg.e9b5d334dbdc0aec11169f15fe181771.jpeg

It actually sounds funny to read at this point. Like "Daily Planet comes out against Lex Luthor running for President." 

"We here at the Planet just simply aren't on board with Luthor's plans for worldwide domination and the slavery of those he considers beneath him...."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

Yeah, I can't tell if Don, Jr.'s jaw is so clenched because he's so pissed or the drip is kicking in and he's trying to play it off.  

Also, he's 18 now and on the campaign trail.  But he's had such a fucked up childhood, I know he's not anxious to reveal his university plans.  But does anybody else find it kinda weird that Pres. Trump hasn't just come out and bragged about where Barron is headed in literally one month's time?  It's gonna be public knowledge in a few weeks.  And he'll have a security detail.  And he's probably known since April when most deadlines pass.  It's just weird that Trump hasn't said, "My son is going to the best school.  Tremendous college.  Fantastic University."  

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I mean, my logic earlier in the thread was I would vote for Joe if he was dead. So obviously I'd vote for her, or anyone really other than Trump. Yall gonna do this then do it quick. Don't pull a Berhalter.

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I also think it got missed that Trump is reportedly down to 2 options for VP - Vance or Burgum.

If the GOP puts up Trump/Burgum (and let’s be real, he brings more personal wealth than Vance and Trump can just bleed him dry), you want a real good contrast with a Harris (59) and someone like Beshear (46) or Kelly (60) to go up against Trump (78) and Burgum (67)

Isn’t that what everyone has been dying for? A younger ticket? It’s right there in front of you! 

i hope we goes burgum.  with vance you can see the suburban educated republican male finding a little place to hide.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i hope we goes burgum.  with vance you can see the suburban educated republican male finding a little place to hide.

YEah, he's gotta a little golf prick/fleece vest/Youngkin in him when he tones down the wingnut.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

YEah, he's gotta a little golf prick/fleece vest/Youngkin in him when he tones down the wingnut.

Vance’s net worth is $4-$10m and Burgum is $100m. I don’t see Vance bankrupting himself for Trump, he wants to run for POTUS later. This is basically Burgum’s one shot at his age. 

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I can't tell if Don, Jr.'s jaw is so clenched because he's so pissed or the drip is kicking in and he's trying to play it off.  

Also, he's 18 now and on the campaign trail.  But he's had such a fucked up childhood, I know he's not anxious to reveal his university plans.  But does anybody else find it kinda weird that Pres. Trump hasn't just come out and bragged about where Barron is headed in literally one month's time?  It's gonna be public knowledge in a few weeks.  And he'll have a security detail.  And he's probably known since April when most deadlines pass.  It's just weird that Trump hasn't said, "My son is going to the best school.  Tremendous college.  Fantastic University."  

It means he didn't get in an Ivy (specifically Penn), or a near Ivy. And Trump is mortified. 

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

It means he didn't get in an Ivy (specifically Penn), or a near Ivy. And Trump is mortified. 

"Lemme tell you folks, Barron is going to one of the best schools in the country. Arizona State." 

Also Vance is hard to look at. He has that MTG caveman look. I'm pulling for Burgum for that reason alone.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

this is amazing and has to be right. i bet there was a very very short debate at admissions at each one of those colleges.  "well, it might be useful to have him . . ." ". . . i'm going to cut you off right there. absolutely not."

repeated ad nauseum all the way down to:

"well, as dean of liberty university, i think we should . . ."

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

It’s aggy 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1