2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We risked this exact scenario when the Dems nominated Biden in 2020.  People were screaming that he would be not old but ancient should he win and run again.  Here we are.

My take on switching horses is that it is simply a non-starter.  It's never done.  It would not draw a net influx of voters to the Democrat's side.  It just wouldn't.  It would drive more people away than it would bring others in.

When Joe won in 2020 many of thought he would step down in 2022 and hand things off for Kamala.  

after today I’m glad he didn’t.  I think he has Don right where he wants him

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tchookem said:

Chance of Trump debating any Democratic candidate not named Joe Biden?

Zero.

I'm talking Kelvin Zero.

They're going to have to sneak into a rally and call him out like Beto did to Abbott.

We know Trump will not debate Biden again because it gave him all the momentum and a clear path to presidency. 

If Kamala gets called up and Trump doesn't debate her, that will affect him negatively. His age/mental issues all of a sudden become front and center. Dem politicians and media will dog walk him. Which will further energize Dem voters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Key takeaways from Biden’s news conference: Insistence on staying in the race and flubbed names

Key take away is not that he answered questions in detail, but that he flubbed names.

Overall, his presentation was a reminder that people are focused on him now with an almost clinical eye toward possible slip-ups and mistake

Including AP headline writers. Good job, liberal media.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-news-conference-reelection-age-0d9f4936484ff71295e2b088e5c525dd

Edited by elfenix
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

We know Trump will not debate Biden again because it gave him all the momentum and a clear path to presidency. 

If Kamala gets called up and Trump doesn't debate her, that will affect him negatively. His age/mental issues all of a sudden become front and center. Dem politicians and media will dog walk him. Which will further energize Dem voters. 

I think that Trump not giving Biden another debate is a reason for replacing him.  Seems like it would be harder for him to dodge not given the circumstances. 

43 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Have we considered that Trump is just an agent of Satan?  

I've posted this several times over the years but Trump is definitely anti-Christ and the Christians love them some anti-Christ.

"Fuck Jesus! We love the anti-Christ!"

- American Christianity

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I've moved to rural Texas. I pass two small ranches that have Trump Flags regularly. I know these bloodsuckers exist. I'm not surprised. I'm stunned by the fact of it.

I've recently had a family member reveal their Trumpiness. The person thought she had a gotcha when she brought up Biden's debate performance.

Me: "I'd vote for a corpse before I'd vote that lying fascist. I never dreamed there would be an election of existential importance to the republic."

Her: "All politicians lie"

Idiot World. Malign Idiot World. I've got a DNA connection with it.

Verbatim the same conversation I’ve had with independents who went trumpy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It. Does. Not. Make. Them. Right.

Switching from Biden at this point is political suicide.  It absolutely 100% ices the vote for Trump.  I'll donate another $1K to Mobile Loaves and Fishes this year if the Dems switch and win.  Hold me to it, I'd be fucking thrilled.

if switching from Biden is political suicide, why is trunp trying to prevent the switch?

image.thumb.png.7c7c903ebd0f650079d8085e9ea1112e.png

• Hook 'Em 3

The double standard is just too much for me. We cannot have an environment where one guy gets roasted for every single misstep and the other guy is just not getting held to any standard. It is such a joke. And yall wanna play right into that instead of saying no, fuck you guys, we're not doing that. It's like Michael Bolton on Office Space, saying "why should I change? He's the one who sucks."

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

This is all a giant own goal. 

Every response to this should be "when are the Republicans replacing their candidate? Why aren't we asking about that?"

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 4

Marist/NPR with your morning dose of hopium:

IMG_1283.thumb.jpeg.066b1ea45353a0671e81c6a455535dc6.jpeg

Switching Harris, Whitney, and Newsom does not improve the chances, about the same. 3rd post-debate poll this week that has the race as a toss up. Again, I know a tied NPV result favors Trump, but the point is there’s plenty of time to get those 2-3 extra points for Biden. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Marist/NPR with your morning dose of hopium:

IMG_1283.thumb.jpeg.066b1ea45353a0671e81c6a455535dc6.jpeg

Switching Harris, Whitney, and Newsom does not improve the chances, about the same. 3rd post-debate poll this week that has the race as a toss up. Again, I know a tied NPV result favors Trump, but the point is there’s plenty of time to get those 2-3 extra points for Biden. 

I wish someone would just do a blended swing state poll. That’s all that matters. 
CA isn’t switching for Trump and TX isn’t going to Biden. 
National polls i am worried are going to lull people to sleep

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

For the “there’s still time” bros, what specifically can Biden do now that he hasn’t already been doing to make up 3-4% between now and when early voting starts?

Any interviews he gives, he’s not going to magically become Biden of 2020. The media isn’t going to just shift to “why trunp should drop out.” None of that is going to happen.

• Hook 'Em 9

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

For the “there’s still time” bros, what specifically can Biden do now that he hasn’t already been doing to make up 3-4% between now and when early voting starts?

Any interviews he gives, he’s not going to magically become Biden of 2020. The media isn’t going to just shift to “why trunp should drop out.” None of that is going to happen.

Make the election about Trump, which was always the theory of the case for them. The longer we have the media focusing on this palace intrigue of whether we’re going to have the first incumbent resign since LBJ, the less time there is for them to turn their attention back to Trump and start chipping away at the independents who need to be reminded of why they didn’t vote for him in 2020. This house divided storyline is consuming all the oxygen and Biden’s still in striking distance. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Everyone that wants Harris is ignoring the fact that this country is still deeply racist and sexist. Obama landed us the tea party and Trump. Those same people are still voting and a lot have said they are done with Trump because of Biden as an option. They will not vote for Harris. Trump walks to the White House.

That’s the issue. There is no one else this late in the game.

Also, polls are trash. Hillary was going to destroy Trump based on polls.

• Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Make the election about Trump, which was always the theory of the case for them. The longer we have the media focusing on this palace intrigue of whether we’re going to have the first incumbent resign since LBJ, the less time there is for them to turn their attention back to Trump and start chipping away at the independents who need to be reminded of why they didn’t vote for him in 2020. This house divided storyline is consuming all the oxygen and Biden’s still in striking distance. 

They, and surrogates, are already doing that. It’s not working. trunp and his team making fun of Biden and his age is working 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yeah polls have generally underrated Trump. Why Biden being behind or at best tied in swing states is so worrisome imo. I don't see how Biden makes up ground. He is what he is. 

34 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

They’re not perfect, but what else do we have to give us a sense of how the election is going? Vibes? Counting lawn signs in your neighborhood?

32 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Everyone that wants Harris is ignoring the fact that this country is still deeply racist and sexist. Obama landed us the tea party and Trump. Those same people are still voting and a lot have said they are done with Trump because of Biden as an option. They will not vote for Harris. Trump walks to the White House.

That’s the issue. There is no one else this late in the game.

We are a sexist and racist country but using Obama as an example when he got 365 and 332 electoral votes might not be the best strategy for making it seem impossible for a minority to win.

Harris isn't Obama and she very well could lose to Donald Trump if she were to become the candidate. We'll never know as we now watch this election where Donald fucking Trump is now the background character to the public because Biden WILL have slip ups and days where he looks bad and that will be the narrative moving forward. Any other candidate makes this a race about Trump in a year when it has to be about Trump.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

We are a sexist and racist country but using Obama as an example when he got 365 and 332 electoral votes might not be the best strategy for making it seem impossible for a minority to win.

Harris isn't Obama and she very well could lose to Donald Trump if she were to become the candidate. We'll never know as we now watch this election where Donald fucking Trump is now the background character to the public because Biden WILL have slip ups and days where he looks bad and that will be the narrative moving forward. Any other candidate makes this a race about Trump in a year when it has to be about Trump.

This.  Dems win when they stop acting scared, of racists, trump, whatever.

Right now the dems' argument is that they're not running a convicted felon who tried to overthrow the government.  Which, okay is good enough for me, and is shocking that it's not good enough for large swaths of the country.  But it would be nice if there was something a little more inspiring to actually vote for.

And polls in this context are next to meaningless.  No one can predict who's going to turn out to vote in swing states at this point.  But if half the country is going all in on a felon and a traitor with dementia, the least the other half can do is something better than non-felon, non-traitor with dementia.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Verbatim the same conversation I’ve had with independents who went trumpy. 

I don’t even understand that answer. Ok, let’s say all politicians lie. What is it about trumps lies that they like so much?  Is it still just a fuck you to the establishment in their minds?  Horrifying racism?  Nationalist zealotry?

20 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

This.  Dems win when they stop acting scared, of racists, trump, whatever.

Right now the dems' argument is that they're not running a convicted felon who tried to overthrow the government.  Which, okay is good enough for me, and is shocking that it's not good enough for large swaths of the country.  But it would be nice if there was something a little more inspiring to actually vote for.

And polls in this context are next to meaningless.  No one can predict who's going to turn out to vote in swing states at this point.  But if half the country is going all in on a felon and a traitor with dementia, the least the other half can do is something better than non-felon, non-traitor with dementia.

Most of the right think Don was wrongly prosecuted and have doubled down

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don’t even understand that answer. Ok, let’s say all politicians lie. What is it about trumps lies that they like so much?  Is it still just a fuck you to the establishment in their minds?  Horrifying racism?  Nationalist zealotry?

He gives them permission to be their worst selves.

I don't think I worry too much about scaring off the light racists/misogynists with a Harris nomination considering a vote for Biden in 2024 is essentially a vote for President Harris in 2026.

• Hook 'Em 5