[DOOM THREAD] 2024 Presidential Election Thread - Oh. My. God. We may be fucked.

bolverk

11 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Hamilton. Got his face on some legal motherfuckin tender.

And Alexander Hamilton's Secretary of State?  You guessed it.  Frank Stallone.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Plus his musical is the best musical of all of the presidents’ musicals.

Certainly better than the Lincoln presidential musical at Gerald Ford's musical theater.  I mean, that got dark at the end.

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Certainly better than the Lincoln presidential musical at Gerald Ford's musical theater.  I mean, that got dark at the end.

It was edgy, it was not my sort of thing but some of those people out there, they really liked it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

And without having to do a trail of tears to accomplish that… just lose a duel. 

Well Aaron Burr told me that Hamilton's mistress had a trail of tears wax job.  

Just now, South Austin said:

It was edgy, it was not my sort of thing but some of those people out there, they really liked it.

And President Hamilton, honestly...the suspenders.  They're a little hokey.  

I remember some undergrad course where had to memorize the entire list of presidents.  In order, and to know which served multiple terms, one term, and/or died in office.  I can't tell you almost any of it anymore, let alone what day it is.  Just that I remember I was finishing up a paper to graduate high school when Nixon died.  I was with then girlfriend, now wife, at her place flipping around channels when I learned Reagan died.  I remember my great-uncle telling me Gerald Ford had died, as he was his Asst. Sec. of Agriculture.  I remember where I was when George H.W. Bush died.  

But I won't remember where I was when Trump was because shoving peyote up your nose makes you get short-term memory loss.  

• Haha 1

And I'd like to add that this is a perfect example of the CR circle jerk. I've participated in threads here for quite some time, piling on Trumps stupidity, maga idiot gops fascism Texas idiot leadership, yet I dont think Biden is great and several of your start attacking me ...
Get over yourselves

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Smax said:

And I'd like to add that this is a perfect example of the CR circle jerk. I've participated in threads here for quite some time, piling on Trumps stupidity, maga idiot gops fascism Texas idiot leadership, yet I dont think Biden is great and several of your start attacking me ...
Get over yourselves

Disagreeing with an opinion is not “attacking” you. 

I pointed out your opinion lacks supporting evidence. In fact, I provided a list of things that disprove it. I even politely asked for an example of what you consider “good”. You’ve yet to respond. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Smax said:

Get over yourselves

I didn't attack you, I just strongly disagree with your analysis. I think it is based upon feelings associated with election negativity as opposed to Biden's performance as a President. What has he done wrong as President? Are things like expanding NATO, the CHIPS act, caps on certain drug costs, and student debt relief not massively important accomplishments with very long term implications? What is it you think he is supposed to have done to be good? 

33 minutes ago, Smax said:

Get over yourselves

If you think people explaining why Biden is bad ass or asking you who you think was a great president are attacks, then you must be one snowflake mother fucker.  Now that’s an attack, albeit a pretty mild one for this place.

Get over yourself.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Told one of the many texts I get from these assholes to do just that.....now we wait 

Replay with a photo of some naked dude from the internet, bonus points if he's not white.  See if you get any responses.

9 hours ago, Smax said:

Get over yourselves

i thought Derka got banned 🤔

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Smax said:

Get over yourselves

Which one are you again

28 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Would seem hard to win an election with that number.

But Biden’s a brown person-loving, baby-killing, open-border, tan-suit-wearing old, and stuff. 

• Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Would seem hard to win an election with that number.

I mean, what do you wager the percentage of Americans that think Biden should end his campaign is? Probably not a great metric.

16 hours ago, Smax said:

Get over yourselves

You realize there are just as many stupid braindead dem/team blue people as maga morons right? They just don't happen to be on board with evil, they still are on board with overwhelmingly shitty policy and terrible ethics. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

You realize there are just as many stupid braindead dem/team blue people as maga morons right? They just don't happen to be on board with evil, they still are on board with overwhelmingly shitty policy and terrible ethics. 

Both sides!

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Sadly, this. 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Both sides!

I think it's obvious more than ever there's actually 3/4 camps of people. 

MAGA are on board with evil and are driven by fear and hate 

Independents who are checked completely the fuck out

Moderates who are being forced into an impossible choice between shitty candidates that don't represent them

The Libtards who are on board with altruism and any means necessary for the unachievable state of "equality" or whatever weird agenda of the cycle 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I'm not actually sure what positions Biden has taken that makes him so awful to moderates. If you want to say it's his age, okay. But if you're a moderate person, there's a whole list of things Biden has done that should align with what you want to see happen in this country. So it's not really that impossible of a choice compared to what Trump wants to do in his 2nd term. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This election is between a Maga candidate and a moderate candidate, so why is the choice impossible for the moderate group?

Saying Biden is a good candidate is laughable and if you believe that it's actually the reason the country is rotting. 

He's an out of touch octogenarian who's spent his entire life in an alternate universe of politics and is only running because he's an incumbent and only ran in 2020 because he felt like trump was psychotic and he was compelled to. 

He rarely speaks to the populace and there's basically no policy being driven by the admin for current issues that actual impact Americans in big ways (social media, big tech, centralized everything, grift utilities and infrastructure etc) 

I don't think Biden sucks, I don't think it's an impossible choice for the existence of the nation I think it's an impossible choice for anything else. Bidens policies don't align with a ton of people, but they will still vote for him anyway because in this absurd world we live it has become existential. 

• Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Saying Biden is a good candidate is laughable and if you believe that it's actually the reason the company is rotting. 

Where did I say that?  You quoted the entirety of my post, did you read it?  Again, why would a moderate group find it impossible to choose between a moderate candidate and a maga candidate?

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Where did I say that?  You quoted the entirety of my post, did you read it?  Again, why would a moderate group find it impossible to choose between a moderate candidate and a maga candidate?

Because they both suck complete fucking ass and do nothing for them. 

Just because one is going to be evil and do terrible shit doesn't make it easier to choose the other guy when based on personal reasons. 

Despite what all of you very engaged people thing the disengaged don't fucking care about any of this shit. They just want things to be good and for life to be enjoyable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

Saying Biden is a good candidate is laughable and if you believe that it's actually the reason the country is rotting. 

He's an out of touch octogenarian who's spent his entire life in an alternate universe of politics and is only running because he's an incumbent and only ran in 2020 because he felt like trump was psychotic and he was compelled to. 

He rarely speaks to the populace and there's basically no policy being driven by the admin for current issues that actual impact Americans in big ways (social media, big tech, centralized everything, grift utilities and infrastructure etc) 

I don't think Biden sucks, I don't think it's an impossible choice for the existence of the nation I think it's an impossible choice for anything else. Bidens policies don't align with a ton of people, but they will still vote for him anyway because in this absurd world we live it has become existential. 

He has been a poor politician. But I really don't see how you can argue that his policies and advanced legislation don't align with the interests of the majority. What is it specifically that you think doesn't align? Like @Smax, I just don't see this sort of opinion as being supportable by facts. He is old, he doesn't sell his accomplishments hard enough, and he doesn't explain them well enough. Those are valid and supportable criticisms. His policies not having a positive impact on the American people is not. 

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

He also beat all challengers.

He's a pretty good politician by the only metric that matters.

Let's hope he wins his final race.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

He has been a poor politician. But I really don't see how you can argue that his policies and advanced legislation don't align with the interests of the majority. What is it specifically that you think doesn't align? Like @Smax, I just don't see this sort of opinion as being supportable by facts. He is old, he doesn't sell his accomplishments hard enough, and he doesn't explain them well enough. Those are valid and supportable criticisms. His policies not having a positive impact on the American people is not. 

I didn't say he's been bad or anything but a net positive I'm saying for a moderate who doesn't agree with things like loan forgiveness, government spending that doesn't benefit them directly etc etc it's not hard to see why people would be like yeah fuck that shit. 

I don't align with Joe Biden on hardly anything, but you better fucking believe I'm gonna vote for him. That's not as easy of a choice for a lot of people and those people will just stay home. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It makes it infinitely easier. The fact that Biden has actually been a good president makes it the easiest decision in the history of decisions. 

You guys think it's a decision between trump and Biden. It includes sitting out, which I feel many will do. 

33 minutes ago, immamac said:

Just because one is going to be evil and do terrible shit doesn't make it easier to choose the other guy when based on personal reasons. 

Despite what all of you very engaged people thing the disengaged don't fucking care about any of this shit. They just want things to be good and for life to be enjoyable. 

On the contrary, that should make the decision really fucking easy.

3 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

These are the stakes in November:

The continuation of imperfect American democracy with a moderate Democrat president

…. vs ….

A violent fascist Christian theocracy, led by a malignant narcissist perpetually lying conman wannabe dictator …. ready to impose a cult-backed regime of terror upon women, immigrants, brown people, educators, doctors, scientists, non-believers, and a growing list of others. 

If zillions of Surly posters can’t see that, then you are fucking blind… and … I can only conclude …  willfully so. 

This too.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

I didn't say he's been bad or anything

34 minutes ago, immamac said:

Hmmmmm…..

• immamac changed the title to [DOOM THREAD] 2024 Presidential Election Thread - Oh. My. God. We may be fucked.