Ann Arbor / Detroit (Y'all are coming for the UT-UM game, right?)

choripan

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Not going to tell you what to do but personally I think we should crash the Ross School MBA bus they sell wristbands to those of us schleps who aren't active MBA students and it's usually a pretty fun party both before and after the game but it only includes beverages.  The advantage here is there is no pressure to organize anything or worry about enough attendance or finding the particular parcel of land on the golf course.  

https://www.jgfoundation.org/bus
https://www.instagram.com/therossbus/

I haven't been since 2013 but from 2006-13 when I went regularly the bus was always parked at Hill St & S 5th Ave right next to the train tracks and I assume it's still there it's a real easy walk to the Big House from there as you just head right on Hill then take the first left onto Greene St and it takes you straight to the stadium.

We are talking about several hundred people maybe even pushing 1k. 

We had 750-800 on Tuscaloosa and 2500 in New Orleans. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, immamac said:

We are talking about several hundred people maybe even pushing 1k. 

We had 750-800 on Tuscaloosa and 2500 in New Orleans. 

Laughing about the vision of 800 drunk Texas fans all crashing the Michigan MBA tailgate.

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2024 at 3:19 AM, choripan said:

Spoiler

General -From like April/May until October/November, when the weather is nice, Ann Arbor pedestrianizes a bunch of its downtown streets and, more importantly, many places have go-cups. Just ask because some places participate in the go-cup program and some don’t. Either way, I recommended a stroll around downtown above, and it’s worth it. None of these places are more than a 10-15 minute walk apart, and after a vibe check on yourself or your group, head to whichever sounds best. All of these are usually a good time. There are also lots of “New American” bar/food type places but, fuck it, they’re ubiquitous in any urban or mostly urban environment.

For the purposes of this, I'll divide Ann Arbor in West Downtown, Main Street, and East Downtown/Campus-ish. Here’s a map with West Downtown circled in red, Main Street circled in blue, and the remainder in green, and within that green with East Downtown X’ed in at the top, South University in the middle, and an outlying area off Packard street at the bottom. Very Generally, West Downtown is more of a 25-45 crowd, Main Street is 35+, and once you head east, except for in a few establishments, it's mostly under 30 and in many cases only students and some grad students. Game weekends, though, pretty much anywhere is fair game for anyone. 

image.thumb.png.fc2eda5609980b610ee36875954f5994.png

Also, don’t forget that recreational weed is legal in Michigan and the County Prosecutor does not prosecute for weed or shrooms (https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2021/01/washtenaw-prosecutor-wont-charge-people-for-marijuana-shrooms-other-psychedelics.html).

** I'll do West Downtown tonight and get to the rest later **

West Downtown – This is basically anything west of Main Street but not on Main Street. Here’s a bunch of places I like, depending on the general vibe of the group.

• Babs' Underground - This is a cocktail spot where you'll typically see anything from grad students to 40-somethings. Most of the time, they'll be playing a great 90s-2000s hip-hop playlist, but more as background and not crunk. It's not a dancing place. Think stuff like Tribe Called Quest, Slum Village, etc.
  • 8 Ball Saloon - This was the place to get a ($6, then $7, then) $8 pitcher of Natty Light. Long-time basement bar with punk vibes. Some students found it between when I went to undergrad (2004) and now, so now I'd say it went from a place to get away from the uppity east coasters that are at UM to a place with a good mix of townies and gownies. Has one of those digital jukeboxes these days and the mix of people makes for a wild playlist. My fav thing here is to play (real, not plastic) darts, bullshit with my friends over cheap beer, and people watch.
  • Blind Pig - 8 Ball is the basement of the Pig. Check who is playing here because they have some great acts and a really deep history, though the venue is kind of unremarkable. A bit on the history: https://blindpigmusic.com/history/.
  • Circ - Mix of people like Babs' but the demo is more 21-30 years old. They have a huge dance floor area, an outdoor area with firepits, and a small roofdeck. Depending on who is there, the music, and whether it's karaoke night or DJ night, Circ will be either like a 2/10 or a 8+/10. Worth a peek if you're bopping around downtown.
  • Bill’s Beer Garden – Some time ago, the owners of A2 Home and Garden turned their parking lot into a biergarten at like 5-6pm each night.
  • Beer Grotto - Craft beer joint with indoor/outdoor seating, located on a corner. They always have a really good beer list, service is quick, and they let you bring in outside food. This is really clutch with the aforementioned Blimpy Burger, a great 24-hr diner (Fleetwood), and a BiBimBop place all right across the street.
  • Peridot/Pacific Rim – Creative east Asian cuisine. Pacific Rim is a bit more subdued and Peridot is a bit more creative. Peridot is a collaboration between the Pacific Rim chef and the owners of the next place on the list, and is a bit more creative.
  • Last Word – Named after the famous Detroit cocktail, if you’re a cocktail person this is the typical “best place to get a cocktail with a vaguely speakeasy vibe” that’s just about everywhere. Good pours, good drinks.
  • Blank Slate Creamery – This is a fancy ice cream joint where they’re creative with the flavors and all that jazz. I’m not a sweets guy, so don’t like that much ice cream, but they do a great four mini-scoop flight that’s perfect for sharing or each person having a mini-scoop or two individually.
  •  

Okay, I've spoilered the map that I reference above so it's readily available. Now for East Downtown/Campus-ish - This is the area that is most student-like at it's core, though in the Xs the southeast and northwest on my map above, you have more adults.

Starting in the northwest part of the map:

• Aventura - It's a good, if a bit overpriced, tapas joint. The paella is very good; this coming from someone (me) who has lived in Spain on and off for the last three years. They have a Valenciano master that makes it. Some background: https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2023/08/world-class-paella-ann-arbor-chef-set-to-represent-us-in-international-competition.html. If they have the cochinillo/suckling pig on the menu, it's divine.
  • Blue Nile - Ethiopian joint. Very good but not spectacular. Worth it for the novelty if you haven't tried Ethiopian or don't have an Ethiopian restaurant nearby.
  • Afternoon Delight - Pretty much a typical breakfast joint/diner but has good ingredients and really good eggs benedict. Great for a hangover.
  • Mexican Food - Just avoid it. Nothing good in the greater downtown area, especially if you're coming from Texas. Only good Mexican in Ann Arbor, IMO, is from a counter at Tienda Libertad on the west side of town.
  • Tomukun - Noodle/Ramen bar on one side, Korean BBQ on the other, and they do both very well.
  • Knight's - Downtown outpost of an old school steakhouse on the west side. Good steaks, good cocktails, and usually a HEAVY pour.
  • Sava's - I'm not a huge fan, though it's good. It's American/Contemporary food done well and, if you have a larger group, I recommend it for that. A go-to for recruiting dinners because there's something everyone would like, so if you have ta picky eater or two in your group, this'll do, pig.
  • SCOREKEEPER'S(!) - My favorite bar in undergrad. During the day it's a sports bar and around 10pm they take up all the tables, have a DJ on the balcony above the dance floor, and the music is mostly the new hot shit. Used to have 75 cent bottles on Thursdays and Saturdays when I was in undergrad. Although I'd stick out on the dance floor now, it's kind of accepted for alums/oldsters to be anywhere on gameday weekends. Great place to recommend for your college/grad school aged kid, if they come out.
  • Iggy's Eggies - Good breakfast sandwiches and stuff like that. Not really sit-down. If you send someone on a hungover "please just fuckin grab us something" mission, this is a good choice.
  • New York Pizza Depot (NYPD) - Great spot to get a late-night slice after the bar. They usually have a dozen or two options. 
  • Ashley's - Irish pub with a GREAT burger, which many consider the best in the city. I think it's really good but I'm not a huge fan of gigantic burgers that require me to dislodge my jaw like a snake.
  • Red Hawk - Low key place for microbrews and good pub food. I'm not a fancy beer drinkin' guy -- I mean, it goes down as well as anything else -- but my craft beer nerd (uh, connoisseur) friends say it's a good spot.
  • Blom Meadery - I never thought I'd like mead, thinking it'd be too sweet, but they have a lot of good meads and the food is good. Nice if you want to swoop through and try something different

While you're in the area, I recommend a stop by Nickels Arcade. It's a block-long arcade with a lot of cute stores and it's a block you'll probably walk anyway:

Nickels Arcade: Ann Arbor's Timeless Shopping Oasis - Oxford Companies

Visit and spin the Cube. I'm sure it has some fancy name, but we just all call it the cube. Integral part of the UM campus experience like the Tower or the Turtle Pond at UT:

The Cube' stops spinning at the University of Michigan on May 14 - mlive.com

From there, you could walk through the Diag, the beating heart of Michigan's campus, and an intersection you walk through hundreds of times as a student:

The Diag, 913 S University Ave, and the Burton Memorial Tower, 230 N  Ingalls St, View from the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library, University of  Michigan, September 21, 2021 | Ann Arbor District Library

Then walk through the Law Quad...

About Michigan Law | University of Michigan Law School

and Pop your head into the Law Library...

About the Law Library | University of Michigan Law School

And there's your 10 minute tour of the highlights of Michigan's campus. Across the street from the Law School is this frat that always puts up signs and spills their party into the front yard. Worth a look, especially because sometimes you'll get a free beer from the youngsters!

image.thumb.png.2becc54f459bafbd86711d7e3769a51a.png

So that's the northwest portion and heart of the campus on the map. I'll do the east side of campus in a separate post because my kids are finishing up breakfast and I promised them we'd take them to the amusement park today.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/2/2024 at 9:11 AM, immamac said:

Where are you staying? If in AA take rideshare. If in Detroit take shared transportation or get a driver. 

Parking is readily available and there's tons of yard parking for 20-50 bucks. 

What does everyone wanna do pregame? It's a noon kick and the weather will be phenomenal, but I'm not gonna do some big production unless people are enthusiastic about wanting to show up. I don't want a bunch of "I'll stop by" types if in gonna set up a $25k+ party that only lasts 3 hours pregame. 

I'm happy to do it if everyone wants to commit to coming to the tailgate, their tailgate situation is pretty fun, but it's not like tailgating in the south at all. There's also a TON of regulars etc so people have their spots they've been going to forever and it's generally speaking all maize and blue. 

I've got the opportunity to have a 60x60 area carved out on the golf course for us, but again it's a lot to commit to without anyone saying they want to do a pregame experience. I'll also have my family (extended) in tow so it will be an enormous burden for me not just financially if no one wants to come. 

I expect a 60x60 could easily house 800-1000 people throughout the day and we will have food and beverage covered. It would be something like $50/per person all you can eat/drink from 8AM to kick and after-party till everything is gone. 

I'm going, and I'll commit to the tailgate if that's the prices. The Texas Exes Tailgate is $160 for members/$175 non members, and it's only 2.5 hours and shuts down before the game kicks.  

Just now, hornian said:

I'm going, and I'll commit to the tailgate if that's the prices. The Texas Exes Tailgate is $160 for members/$175 non members, and it's only 2.5 hours and shuts down before the game kicks.  

They are allowing non members? That's news to me. Can you send me a link to their thing? 

image.thumb.png.fc2eda5609980b610ee36875954f5994.png

East Part of Campus / South U (what what!)

Okay, we don't have anything like Dirty Sixth in Ann Arbor. Nor anything like what East Sixth was prior to mega-gentrification. And we lack the serial murders of Rainey.  Interestingly enough, when I was in undergrad, it was like Rainey pre-towers, with 1-2 story buildings and a shitload of lowkey, chill bars with other stuff mixed in. Now every block has a generic 10-15 story tower or is slated to have a tower within a few years.

But we're not here to talk about that folks, we're here to talk about getting dronk on the cheap with 19 year olds with fake IDs through grad students, though the oldsters like me are welcome on football weekends. This area is called South U (because it's off South University Street, duh), and in undergrad I lived just a few blocks away, just past Washtenaw to the east on the map above 😁.This is the "X" that's farthest to the east in that same map  Onto the business at hand:

• Joe's Pizza - Outpost of a place from NY. Does a really good NY style slice.
  • Good Time Charleys - A student classic. The prices are usually really good, especially if you catch a special, and there's a really cool circular bar area in the middle of the bar that, functionally, sets up vibes like Carousel Bar in New Orleans, except people get 3-4 deep around that bar. Also known for their list of like 100 shooters.
  • Pizza House / Garage Bar - Pizza House is the restaurant that branched off into a bar called Garage Bar just adjacent, underneath the parking garage. They share a kitchen. This is a classic place and the fav of Tom Brady, among others. Garage Bar is relatively new but has a great vibe, big beers, and is open air, so it's a good spot. Recommend both.
  • Rick's - This is THE undergrad and grad student "I'm trying to get laid, no one goes there before 11pm place." Sticky floors, sweaty people, loud music, dancing, the whole nine. Sometimes, during a game weekend, our group will do the old "fuck it, Rick's?" and it's always a blast, even if we look like decrepit olds. Definitely worth a visit if the vibes of your night veer off that direction, or if you want to take them that direction. Line starts getting bad around 1100-1130pm most weekend nights. For me, this has been Burnside's a few times in Austin, especially since my BIL (UT Grad / Austin Resident) is almost a dead ringer for Tristan Thompson, especially for drunk folks. (If we ever meet in person, ask me about my Kenny Vacaro/Burnside's story).
  • Back Room Pizza - Shitty, cheap slice at the end of the night that hits the spot. I don't know if they've ever sold a slice before 2am.
  • Little Brown Jug - Classic pub. Mix on game weekends is probably 2/3 oldsters and 1/3 students. Has a great hanging vibe, wood paneled kinda place. Lot of Michigan themed drinks and food. IIRC, this is the place where Harbaugh bought the recruit a cheeseburger (and fries and a pop, I admit!) during the COVID dead period. Worth a visit if you're on this side of town, as it's a classic.
  • Pinball Pete's - Classic arcade and, if you're with a kid, a must-visit. Really, they don't make them like this anymore and Pete's won't be around much longer because the City Planning Commission just approved the demo of this block for a high-rise.
  • Study Hall Lounge - Second floor lounge/club that tends to skew more adult than student, oddly enough for being located in this area. Only been once, they played hip hop/contemporary music and it was a good time. But can't recommend it because I've only been once.
  • Blue Leprechaun - Basement club with fair-priced drinks and usually a good DJ. The youngs call it the "Blue Lep" but us older heads still call it "Touchdown Cafe" because Touchdown's was BELOVED (and got shut down by state Liquor Control in the late-2000s for their legendary beer pong tournaments and drinking contests. RIP thug. As far as I know, the same owners just made a new LLC or corp, transferred the liquor license, and reopened as Blue Leprechaun like a year later after the license suspension was lifted.
  • Maize and Blue Deli - Zingerman's is the world-famous deli and it's good. But Maize and Blue is just as good -- if not better, depending on who you ask -- and is located in this area. 

Alright, I also want to mention two three places that I love in the "X" most to the South on the map.

• York - They have a huge open terrace area/yard drinking area that is a good vibe, especially when they have a DJ. This is more of a chill spot -- they have a kids' play area, for example -- but the food and drinks and vibes are GREAT. In addition to their own kitchen, there's usually a couple food trucks out back and there's the original location of Ricewood BBQ, which is the only good/passable brisket in Ann Arbor besides my own.
  • Fraser's Pub - Classic neighborhood sports bar right across the street. It gets busy on game days, but the prices are fair and the food is good bar food.
  • Arborside Dispensary - My favorite dispensary because they have a 20-pack of my favorite 10mg gummies for like 6-7 bucks. Don't forget that recreational weed is completely legal in Michigan.

Another note. Michigan, and since Ann Arbor is in it, is an early-closing state. It sucks but bars and clubs close at 2am if you don't find an after. So get your ducks in order to get your fun in by 2am.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking the Amtrak in from Detroit and should be arriving in Ann Arbor around 10:20. Anyone chosen this option before? Our return train is at like 7:30 that night, so could be doing some tailgating or bar hopping afterwards. It costs a total of $70 for two and that includes business class on the way there. Seems like a solid option on paper. 

• Hook 'Em 3

We are taking the Amtrak in from Detroit and should be arriving in Ann Arbor around 10:20. Anyone chosen this option before? Our return train is at like 7:30 that night, so could be doing some tailgating or bar hopping afterwards. It costs a total of $70 for two and that includes business class on the way there. Seems like a solid option on paper. 

Make sure those times have a good history of being on time. Have taken it for a couple work meetings and being on time did not seem to be a priority. This was 15 years or so ago though.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

image.jpeg.ff35b3af69ec57a8f474bcd813a61a94.jpeg

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Are you not coming to our tailgate? 

On 8/18/2024 at 10:29 AM, 6th Street said:

We are hitting up the bars in Ann Arbor on Fri night instead of downtown Detroit. Hopefully more of a football weekend type of feel. 

It'll be hopping but it's not the south. 

45 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

Make sure those times have a good history of being on time. Have taken it for a couple work meetings and being on time did not seem to be a priority. This was 15 years or so ago though.

Yeah, it’s got a slight risk of cutting it close on the way there, but it’s the weekend. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, it’s got a slight risk of cutting it close on the way there, but it’s the weekend. 

You should be fine. Although rolling up in a black SUV would probably be smoother at 10x the cost haha. 

I've never taken Amtrak around here but the people that I know that have... It's on time if it's an hour late. Your mileage may vary and take it for what it's worth. It sounds fun but I would use Uber or Lyft if I were you. If you are trying to save a buck there is some new express bus service to DTW from downtown that drops off at the terminal. You could Uber from there, it's a little less than halfway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I've taken the Wolverine a few times, typically from Detroit to Chicago. The stop in Detroit is in a fine part of town, not far from the DIA and other cool things, but the station area is not a hopping place at night. It'll likely be pretty empty, YMMV on how you feel about that. I figure you will be with other fans who make the same transportation choice, so that's probably good for feeling safe in a city you don't know. If you hang out in the station till your ride appears, you'll be fine. I'd do uber instead of parking a rental there, personally. 

The A2 stop is close enough to the stadium, and if you are exploring the campus it's sort of on the way to the stadium. Depends on how much you like to walk. You will get to avoid the hassle of game day parking and the traffic headed into A2. There is a lot to do there after the game, so I wouldn't worry about filling time till your return train. 

The train itself was always fine. Clean, charging ports, etc. I found it to be reasonably on time as long as the weather isn't crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, immamac said:

Ah it'll be there after the game to for celebration. 

We'll be around after the game for a while, it appears.

12 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I've never taken Amtrak around here but the people that I know that have... It's on time if it's an hour late. Your mileage may vary and take it for what it's worth. It sounds fun but I would use Uber or Lyft if I were you. If you are trying to save a buck there is some new express bus service to DTW from downtown that drops off at the terminal. You could Uber from there, it's a little less than halfway. 

The total cost was $70 combined for both tickets. I'd allocated $1000 for car service before my wife went and found the Amtrak solution. If we near the day and get shaky on the plan, I'll find us a service. It wasn't a cost-cutting move, but I'm glad it cut costs. If it costs me the ability to see opening kickoff and such, I'll adjust ahead of that to nullify that risk because that would suck.

50 minutes ago, LOHorn said:

I've taken the Wolverine a few times, typically from Detroit to Chicago. The stop in Detroit is in a fine part of town, not far from the DIA and other cool things, but the station area is not a hopping place at night. It'll likely be pretty empty, YMMV on how you feel about that. I figure you will be with other fans who make the same transportation choice, so that's probably good for feeling safe in a city you don't know. If you hang out in the station till your ride appears, you'll be fine. I'd do uber instead of parking a rental there, personally. 

The A2 stop is close enough to the stadium, and if you are exploring the campus it's sort of on the way to the stadium. Depends on how much you like to walk. You will get to avoid the hassle of game day parking and the traffic headed into A2. There is a lot to do there after the game, so I wouldn't worry about filling time till your return train. 

The train itself was always fine. Clean, charging ports, etc. I found it to be reasonably on time as long as the weather isn't crazy.

Good input. I am assuming that keeping with the crowd until Uber appears will work well for safety. Here's hoping.

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We'll be around after the game for a while, it appears.

The total cost was $70 combined for both tickets. I'd allocated $1000 for car service before my wife went and found the Amtrak solution. If we near the day and get shaky on the plan, I'll find us a service. It wasn't a cost-cutting move, but I'm glad it cut costs. If it costs me the ability to see opening kickoff and such, I'll adjust ahead of that to nullify that risk because that would suck.

Good input. I am assuming that keeping with the crowd until Uber appears will work well for safety. Here's hoping.

Uber is fantastic in town. The designated pickup and drop-off area is also right next to our tailgate spot because the roads near the stadium are typically closed on gameday for 2 hours before and after kick. 

21 hours ago, closetojumping said:

My experience with Amtrak (extensive in the Northeast) is that if there’s going to be a delay it’s way more likely during the week than on the weekend, especially Saturday night. YMMV…

7 hours ago, Uncle Boobs said:

Who the fuck cuts it close on GameDay? Stay in town. Arrive 2 days early. And have fun.

This. Ann arbor and Detroit are pretty much one in the same, location wise

Hell, the Woodlands is farther from Houston than Ann Arbor is from Detroit. Why all the hamd wringing? Rent a goddamn car

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This. Ann arbor and Detroit are pretty much one in the same, location wise

Hell, the Woodlands is farther from Houston than Ann Arbor is from Detroit. Why all the hamd wringing? Rent a goddamn car

Some people drink heavily on gameday. Driving is also terrible with the parking situation. 

9 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Cancelled my res at the MGM and got a room in Livonia with points. A tad closer than Detroit 

I've had some great times at that MGM. If you don't gamble much this is the right move though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Where is the place to park?

~ 9th hole of golf course but look into the gameday shuttles they have running.  Pick up/drop off from multiple locations around AA.  Leave yo ride at the hotel and catch one of those, my plan for now at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Where is the place to park?

Probably sold out now but pioneer hs is probably best. You can find some stuff in the neighborhoods if you arrive early enough and it's not too bad. Expect $25-40 bucks though. They also want you gone ASAP after the game. 

Ride share is not that bad once you get to the designated area away from the stadium but it's just like dkr where waiting an hour or 2 at a tailgate is optimal and lowers the cost significantly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Some people drink heavily on gameday. Driving is also terrible with the parking situation. 

I've had some great times at that MGM. If you don't gamble much this is the right move though. 

Parking situation? Looks like there is ton of parking within 3/4 mile from the stadium, same as in Austin