Not new, not classic, semi-old shitbox car thread

blacklab

I have an FJ cruiser. I love it and will probably never get rid of it. But it's not great for long highway drives.

I want to get something 10-20 years old that's sporty and would be good for the highway. Would like to keep it under $10k. Stick shift would be nice. Poking around craigslist and autotrader I've seen some challengers, 350/370z's, a few lexus' and a few mercedes that might fit the bill. 

I don't want a 40 year old car but is there something like a Tarus SHO or Grand National from the mid 2000's? Type-R? May fall back to an E63 AMG like I had before, but any ideas on something I should look for?

Maybe something like this:

Infiniti G35 Coupe 2005 3.5 Low Miles $4500

image.png.66a79219f8d4a83a95a0445085146472.png
https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/austin-infiniti-g35-coupe-low-miles/7706862436.html

I have an FJ cruiser. I love it and will probably never get rid of it. But it's not great for long highway drives.
I want to get something 10-20 years old that's sporty and would be good for the highway. Would like to keep it under $10k. Stick shift would be nice. Poking around craigslist and autotrader I've seen some challengers, 350/370z's, a few lexus' and a few mercedes that might fit the bill. 
I don't want a 40 year old car but is there something like a Tarus SHO or Grand National from the mid 2000's? Type-R? May fall back to an E63 AMG like I had before, but any ideas on something I should look for?

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/austin-infiniti-g35-coupe-low-miles/7706862436.html

That's what you're looking for, fun car to drive and parts are abundant, as they made a lot of them. Aftermarket is decent as well, from wheels, to bolt-on engine mods.

The hard part is finding the G35s that's not all ran threw or had teens drive the shit out of them.

59 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I had a G37x before I got my S6.  They could not be more different.  If E63 is your expectation, don't even bother with the Infiniti.

They are reliable and moderately quick to drive if that's OK, though.

56 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

That's what you're looking for, fun car to drive and parts are abundant, as they made a lot of them. Aftermarket is decent as well, from wheels, to bolt-on engine mods.

The hard part is finding the G35s that's not all ran threw or had teens drive the shit out of them.

My fucking neighbor bought one for his son.  In less than a year, he wrecked it 3 times and they got rid of it.  What did they replace it with, you might ask?  Another one.  This time with an aftermarket exhaust.  He drives it like a total asshole.

• Like 1

• 8th gen Maxima  no idea about reliability, but sportier than you think.  300hp 261tq.  Should eat up highway.  Should be pretty cheap
  • CTS-V Caddy she's fast and probably loose
  • BMW 3 Series Great little ride that's well behaved on the highway (smallish)  buy a good one and depreciation is going to be pretty flat.

51 minutes ago, locodos said:
  • 8th gen Maxima  no idea about reliability, but sportier than you think.  300hp 261tq.  Should eat up highway.  Should be pretty cheap
  • BMW 3 Series Great little ride that's well behaved on the highway (smallish)  buy a good one and depreciation is going to be pretty flat.

Rojo Jr drives a 2010 328i. Fun car, but maintenance heavy and even independent BMW service is pricy. He's done a fair amount of stuff on his own with the help of youtube and an OBD II scanner. 
IMG_4857.thumb.jpeg.4fdffa316fa41dbcf83c97cb163f3d0f.jpeg

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...

Finally got around to getting something

image.jpeg

2011 E350 Bluetec with 190,000 miles. Replaced the turbo and fixed some oil leaks and it runs like a top. Mercedes boards say you should get 350-400k miles out of them as long as you fix the oil leaks and turbo, which at around 5k miles a year I should put on it will last me the rest of my life. Oldest boy has already asked that I leave it to him in the will.

Previous owner claimed 38 MPG on the highway, we'll see if he's full of shit when I fill up in a couple of weeks. 

Wanted to get another E63 AMG but they are still stupid expensive. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Finally got around to getting something

image.jpeg

2011 E350 Bluetec with 190,000 miles. Replaced the turbo and fixed some oil leaks and it runs like a top. Mercedes boards say you should get 350-400k miles out of them as long as you fix the oil leaks and turbo, which at around 5k miles a year I should put on it will last me the rest of my life. Oldest boy has already asked that I leave it to him in the will.

Previous owner claimed 38 MPG on the highway, we'll see if he's full of shit when I fill up in a couple of weeks. 

Wanted to get another E63 AMG but they are still stupid expensive. 

how much for cars ?

for repairs ?

On 2/1/2024 at 9:11 AM, locodos said:

i might recommend an NA 3.6 CTS.  Not that Cadillacs are unreliable (my experience is to the contrary), but a -V is overengineered like a Krautwagen and I think somewhat temperamental.  Not something I think you want to be driving in its dotage.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Thread resonates for me as I recently did a major "downgrade" that is paying off wonderfully.

I initially bought a brand new 2024 Subaru Crosstrek as a replacement/upgrade for my 2017 Civic.  Drove it for 12 months and never got comfortable with all the safety features (constant alerts, beeps, etc that were hassle to deactivate), along with the giant fucking iPad-sized infotainment system that was always in my peripheral vision. 

Sold it to Carmax (fortunately for close to original price), and bought a 2015 Forester with ~160k miles from a local lady for $3600.  Put $1200 to address some overheating + a/c issues and it's been flawless so far.  Came with a Thule roof rack and the CD player is nails in the mountains whenever cell service is shot...got a bunch of good discs on eBay for couple of bucks each.  I hope to never drive another modern "smart" car for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Muny_Tex
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

On 8/15/2024 at 11:55 PM, Muny_Tex said:

Thread resonates for me as I recently did a major "downgrade" that is paying off wonderfully.

I initially bought a brand new 2024 Subaru Crosstrek as a replacement/upgrade for my 2017 Civic.  Drove it for 12 months and never got comfortable with all the safety features (constant alerts, beeps, etc that were hassle to deactivate), along with the giant fucking iPad-sized infotainment system that was always in my peripheral vision. 

Sold it to Carmax (fortunately for close to original price), and bought a 2015 Forester with ~160k miles from a local lady for $3600.  Put $1200 to address some overheating + a/c issues and it's been flawless so far.  Came with a Thule roof rack and the CD player is nails in the mountains whenever cell service is shot...got a bunch of good discs on eBay for couple of bucks each.  I hope to never drive another modern "smart" car for the foreseeable future.

The Office Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

Being stupid as shit, but I am pondering purchasing an 82/83 280ZX.  Had one that I traded in on a Maxima in 1986 because the T tops kept getting stolen.  Man, I love driving that car though.  Lot of fun to drive.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 4:30 PM, blacklab said:

Went 525 miles on a tank of gas, filled 19 gallons, 28 Mpg of mostly city driving. 

It has a little MPG monitor. Get going 70 on the highway and it goes to 40mpg when not going uphill.

You did well on that car.

4 hours ago, baboso said:

Being stupid as shit, but I am pondering purchasing an 82/83 280ZX.  Had one that I traded in on a Maxima in 1986 because the T tops kept getting stolen.  Man, I love driving that car though.  Lot of fun to drive.

Yes ZX. 

• Like 1

That is a nice thing about an older Benz.  They have good paint and historically interiors that hold up nicely over time.  And, their adherence to design "language" means it can be hard to tell that it's old.

On 8/17/2024 at 3:30 PM, blacklab said:

Went 525 miles on a tank of gas, filled 19 gallons, 28 Mpg of mostly city driving. 

It has a little MPG monitor. Get going 70 on the highway and it goes to 40mpg when not going uphill.

I'm a car guy, pretty much.  And that means I appreciate a certain level of performance and driver engagement.  That said, it's funny how gruntling getting good mileage out of a car that is either fun to drive or comfortable, or both, can be.

I have long legs and don't feel comfortable in many cars. Toyota and Mercedes are the two that constantly seem right. Honda used to be that way but my wife's element and crv give me back pain on long trips.

After driving toyota trucks for the last 5 years it's fun to take corners and curvy roads again. I sped up to get through a left hand turn at a yellow light and my son commented, "you would have flipped the FJ if you had taken that corner at that speed", and he was right. It's not my E63 AMG but it corners great.

Even though it's a diesel it's pretty snappy once you get going.

Agree on "design language". Never could quite describe it but there is something different about Mercedes. This is my 5th. I've had an 1984, 2000, 2004, and 2010 before this one. They all have differences, but each felt similar in comfort and ergonomics. Stupid little things like how the doors slam shut have been constant for over 27 years.

6 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I used to own a Honda Accord.  Heater core died and I drove it an an entire North Dakota winter that way.  I win.  Close thread.

pfffft  Nice try.  I had an Isuzu Impulse Turbo that drank oil, overheated at stop lights, and then the window actuators broke.

vdum3.jpg

It was August in S Florida and I drove that POS to work, in a suit, with the windows up, and the fucking heater on to keep the motor from cooking...  I did that shit for a month.

I had a bad day at work and walked out to the parking lot and chose violence.  Turned the heater off and turned on the AC and hit the highway for the 6-ish mile drive home.   3 miles in overheating, 4 miles in dash lights up, I just kept my foot down and grenaded the motor just before my exit.   

Fun car to drive buy I had a smile on my face as I strode down the shoulder of the highway with my brief case the the license plate.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

This is probably more suited to the help board than here, but this thread tends to attract plenty of opinions.  I am researching pre-owned mid-sized luxury SUVs for the wife (no pics).  Looking to stay under $25K, and things like adaptive cruise control and emergency autonomous braking are musts.  Currently leaning toward Lincoln Nautilus and Acura RDX, but a loaded Nissan Murano might do the trick.  Any others that I need to look into in that size range whose long term reliability ratings are good?  Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

46 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

This is probably more suited to the help board than here, but this thread tends to attract plenty of opinions.  I am researching pre-owned mid-sized luxury SUVs for the wife (no pics).  Looking to stay under $25K, and things like adaptive cruise control and emergency autonomous braking are musts.  Currently leaning toward Lincoln Nautilus and Acura RDX, but a loaded Nissan Murano might do the trick.  Any others that I need to look into in that size range whose long term reliability ratings are good?  Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Nissan CVT transmissions are notorious pieces of shit. Of the 3 you listed I'd probably try to find the newest/lowest mileage RDX. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2007-13 BMW x5 diesel. Delete the diesel emissions crap and they are utterly bulletproof engines, 23-25mpg, and very nice inside. Easy to find under 10k and the delete stuff plus some maintenance like valve cover gasket, vacuum lines, belts and you're always out well under 15k.

• 3 weeks later...

image.thumb.jpeg.2920f0f055eedfed19f986ac1f731253.jpeg

I drive a 2010 Lexus RX 350 with only 70,000 miles on it. I’ve never owned a car for 14 years, but this has been a solid luxury SUV and has given me absolutely no issues at all. So, I’ve made the decision to keep this car until further notice. Here’s the deal. My wife’s Lexus sedan gets the spot in the garage, so my ride is exposed to the elements. Since I’ve made the decision to keep the RX 350 long-term, I want it to look as good on the outside as it possibly can. No worries about the interior as I keep that pretty darn pristine. Soooo the plan is to use compound on the paint that’s oxidized followed by a lite ceramic coating on the vehicle.  Have any of you had a ceramic coating on your vehicles and what are your thoughts in regards to that?

On 8/28/2024 at 12:20 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Nissan CVT transmissions are notorious pieces of shit. Of the 3 you listed I'd probably try to find the newest/lowest mileage RDX. 

This is essentially exactly what I did, and I got bit in the ass on one detail.  2018 RDX Advance, 42,xxx miles.  The online details put out by the dealership said it had Apple CarPlay, which was one of the must haves in my mind.  I didn't discover until driving off the lot that Acura RDX's started getting Apple CarPlay in 2019.  I have complained to the dealership, but I'm not holding my breath on that resulting in anything.  A local car stereo place said they can install a kit that will give me everything for $1,400 installed.  Looks like I will be living without Apple CarPlay.  I am not gruntled.