Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

10 hours ago, Chopper said:

It took facebook 7 years to overtake myspace. I don't think many serious people are on threads, or would go to threads. That's my perception. But if you want to support yet another Meta platform, and not gaf about all the harm they're doing to businesses and the US economy, that's certainly your choice. 

edit - also while bsky allows some video imbeds (youtube), there's no native video but that will soon change.

There are a ton of serious people on Threads.  Now that they have published the APIs, web platforms should be getting embeds soon, which will bring more, but it’s definitely growing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

At this point if you’re on X, you’re part of the problem. 

I can see the value in a conscientious boycott over the ethics of the platform owner.

However, I don’t agree with the owners of America, in fact I find them mostly repulsive and evil, but that doesn’t I’m going to leave the country. 

GLOyBmqXkAEsyCj?format=jpg&name=900x900

To each their own on how to deal with this shit I say.  I left Facebook entirely in 2017 and haven’t looked back for similar ethical concerns but I’m not going to vilify people that choose to remain on the platform. 

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

There are a ton of serious people on Threads.  Now that they have published the APIs, web platforms should be getting embeds soon, which will bring more, but it’s definitely growing.

That's my sense, too. There are a whole bunch of new history accounts on threads and we're all following one another and interacting. Hopefully Zuck leaves it alone and quits fucking with algorithms.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Of course, Elon gives no shits, which I don't understand.  He thinks he's god of the universe and that he's smarter than every other person on the planet. He's not.

Oh, Elon understands completely.  If someone is using Twitter to advance what Elon likes, it's the perfect platform for both he and you.  If you are using Twitter for other means, tough luck kid.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

What can I say? I was pissed off at Elon for driving my engagement down. 18 months ago I was getting  14-15 million views per month. Now I'm lucky if I get 5 million views per month. This despite the fact that I've added 30 thousand followers over that period.  The problem is that I've lost 30 thousand actual living followers and they've been replaced by 60 thousand bots, who don't engage with my account. Elon's politics are causing the platform to crash in terms of engagement for his creators. That's why I tweeted that. Of course, Elon gives no shits, which I don't understand.  He thinks he's god of the universe and that he's smarter than every other person on the planet. He's not.

If he tracks you here we are all gonna be pissed. Sorry, I was one of the followers, but said fuck that platform. Still have my account but never check it. And your engagement did not have enough bots trying to sell titty pics. Work on that and the Surly will follow.

7 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

What can I say? I was pissed off at Elon for driving my engagement down. 18 months ago I was getting  14-15 million views per month. Now I'm lucky if I get 5 million views per month. This despite the fact that I've added 30 thousand followers over that period.  The problem is that I've lost 30 thousand actual living followers and they've been replaced by 60 thousand bots, who don't engage with my account. Elon's politics are causing the platform to crash in terms of engagement for his creators. That's why I tweeted that. Of course, Elon gives no shits, which I don't understand.  He thinks he's god of the universe and that he's smarter than every other person on the planet. He's not.

That's my sense, too. There are a whole bunch of new history accounts on threads and we're all following one another and interacting. Hopefully Zuck leaves it alone and quits fucking with algorithms.

Pussy in bio. 💋👇🫦

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

If the first few replies are any indication, the only ones continuing to engage are goddamn morons. 

~~~~~

I think there's something to be said for using Twitter as a remote video hosting/linking platform and little else. Let that asshole foot the bill for it... 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I can see the value in a conscientious boycott over the ethics of the platform owner.

However, I don’t agree with the owners of America, in fact I find them mostly repulsive and evil, but that doesn’t I’m going to leave the country. 

GLOyBmqXkAEsyCj?format=jpg&name=900x900

To each their own on how to deal with this shit I say.  I left Facebook entirely in 2017 and haven’t looked back for similar ethical concerns but I’m not going to vilify people that choose to remain on the platform. 

Meh. There is a big difference between our country/real life and a social media platform, trying to equate the two is a touch off base.

But beyond that, we are talking about engaging directly with a business in a way that can be helped monetize that business. Hence it's different than taking part in society.

That was an impressive show of patience (by you) on that thread. But I think you fundamentally misunderstood the engaging audience there. To the cult, you are aligned or you are their enemy.

You just painted yourself as their enemy. No words or reasoned statement, logic will penetrate the cultists mind.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

How has monetization worked for you? That first month when people started getting direct deposits from X, some accounts were sharing how much they were making, but haven't seen anything since. I'm not asking for a number, but have the payments been consistent? 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/19/science/spacex-polaris-dawn-jared-isaacman-spacewalk/index.html

f_webp

On Monday, Isaacman and three crewmates — including his close friend and former Air Force pilot, Scott “Kidd” Poteet, as well as two SpaceX engineers, Anna Menon and Sarah Gillis — will arrive at Kennedy Space Center in Florida to prepare for the launch of a far grander, more dangerous, and experimental trip to space.

The mission, called Polaris Dawn, is slated to take off no earlier than 3:30 a.m. ET on August 26.

Isaacman, Menon, Gillis and Poteet will spend five days aboard a SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule that will soar to altitudes higher than any human has traveled since NASA’s Apollo program ended in the 1970s. Their orbital path will extend high enough to plunge the vehicle and crew into a radiation belt, adding another element of peril to the already treacherous experience of spaceflight.

This crew of private citizens will also open the hatch of their spacecraft and expose themselves to the vacuum of space, marking the first time such a feat has been attempted by non-government astronauts. During this endeavor, the astronauts will be protected solely by brand-new Extra-Vehicular Activity (EVA) suits, which SpaceX designed and developed in just two and a half years.

After launch, the Polaris Dawn crew will travel into an oval-shaped orbit that extends as high as 870 miles (1,400 kilometers) from Earth. That’s well into the inner band of Earth’s Van Allen radiation belts, which begin at around 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) in altitude. The belts are areas where concentrations of high-energy particles that come from the sun and interact with Earth’s atmosphere are trapped, creating two dangerous bands of radiation, according to NASA.

f_webp

Almost immediately after reaching space, the Polaris Dawn crew will begin a “pre-breathe” process to prepare for the spacewalk. It’s akin to what scuba divers do to avoid decompression sickness, otherwise known as “the bends.” The crewmates must purge nitrogen from their blood so that when the Dragon capsule is depressurized and exposed to the vacuum of space, the gas doesn’t form bubbles in their bloodstream — a potentially lethal condition.

“We don’t have an airlock on this mission,” Gillis told CNN, referring to the areas on board the International Space Station (ISS) that serve as special decompression chambers for astronauts heading out for a spacewalk. Polaris Dawn will instead take “a really novel and different approach” to the pre-breathing process that involves “slowly decreasing cabin pressure and raising oxygen concentration.”

Unlike any pre-breathe attempted on the International Space Station, the process will take roughly 45 hours — nearly two days, said Gillis, who works as a lead space operations engineer at SpaceX and trained the Inspiration4 crew for their mission.

Finally, to kick off their third day in space, the Polaris Dawn crew will open the Crew Dragon’s hatch as they’re about 435 miles (700 kilometers) above Earth. All four of the crew members and the entirety of the spacecraft’s interior will be exposed to the expansive void. Only Isaacman and Gillis will actually exit the spacecraft, however, tethered by a couple of umbilicals.

From beginning to end, the Polaris Dawn mission exposes the crew to more risk than other orbital space tourism missions have, including SpaceX missions that have carried paying customers to the International Space Station, which orbits about 250 miles (400 kilometers) above Earth.

However, Reisman notes, the SpaceX suits do not include a Primary Life Support System, or PLSS, which is essentially a backpack that allows ISS astronauts to float more freely through space to carry out complex tasks, such as repairing and replacing hardware outside the space station. Instead, the Polaris Dawn crew will receive their life support from long hoses attached to their spacecraft.

Then there’s the matter of the Crew Dragon vehicle itself. To make sure the spacecraft’s avionics — or electronics used for navigation and communication — could survive the heavy radiation environment encountered during the Polaris Dawn mission, engineers “literally strapped a lot of the avionics to a gurney and brought it to an oncology lab,” Isaacman said.

The SpaceX team hammered the avionics components with radiation until they broke, Isaacman said, to precisely determine when and how the technology might fail.

Once the Crew Dragon spacecraft is exposed to the vacuum of space, components inside the spacecraft could then vent off toxins — a natural trait of certain materials used to make various components — as the cabin is repressurized after the spacewalk, according to Menon.

To avoid that, the Crew Dragon and “a lot of the pieces of hardware that are flying in the vehicle went through basically a bake-out before we will ever go into space. What that does is it off-gasses a lot of those toxins,” said Menon, a lead space operations engineer at SpaceX who will also serve as the crew’s medical officer.

The “bake-out” involved putting the vehicle into a vacuum chamber at high temperatures, allowing the hardware to release the toxins before flight.

SpaceX also implemented automatic rebooting software, according to Menon, which can — without human intervention — troubleshoot computers that might malfunction due to radiation.

Automatic rebooting software is always a good thing to have.

Putting such a novel mission together in less than three years is incredibly fast by aerospace standards.

“Going faster is not necessarily more risky,” Reisman said, referring to rapid speed of development and extensive ground testing that SpaceX has carried out. “Taking large risks in testing when the consequences of failure are low results in reduced risk later when the consequences of failure are high.”

Adding to the pressure to perform a perfect spacewalk is the fact that time will be extremely limited because the crew will have to lean heavily on oxygen supplies during the pre-breathe

“We’ve got five, six days — maybe you can stretch it — of life support on the vehicle,” Isaacman said. “So you have to be really sure about where you have fault tolerance and redundancy in your systems. You’ve got to be really sure about the weather (for the splashdown return to Earth).”

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

How has monetization worked for you? That first month when people started getting direct deposits from X, some accounts were sharing how much they were making, but haven't seen anything since. I'm not asking for a number, but have the payments been consistent? 

Yes, revenue from ad sharing has been consistent, every month.  However, I still can't offer subscriptions, which are "pending review."  It has been pending review for about 16 months. I went to their help desk with it about six months ago and I could tell that I was dealing with an AI chatbot. I have a feeling doing so may have kicked me back to the end of the line.  Maddening.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Nivek said:

That was an impressive show of patience (by you) on that thread. But I think you fundamentally misunderstood the engaging audience there. To the cult, you are aligned or you are their enemy.

You just painted yourself as their enemy. No words or reasoned statement, logic will penetrate the cultists mind.

I don't care. The cultists don't read Texas history, anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/19/science/spacex-polaris-dawn-jared-isaacman-spacewalk/index.html

f_webp

f_webp

Automatic rebooting software is always a good thing to have.

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

So I read through that and I think of think SpaceX is a little nuts. As a whole, do I think they have the ability to make it happen? Very much so. I mean they get a lot right.

But this is needing to get a lot right at the same time. On the first try. Do their suits work? Are their computers hardened properly? Does the pressure hatch work? Etc.

The biggest thing - it’s not necessary. They could have a test run through with no crew on the capsule and know the ship is good to go.

I hope it all works out. But …

3UXQ.gif 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

!

ea1a325d-8acf-4824-8f0c-3b5530b4cb03.png

Well if the lead Nazi thinks it's a hoax, let's definitely give him more oxygen. 

I don't have a Wall Street Journal subscription but this doesn't seem like the best headline for Elon.

https://www.wsj.com/tech/elon-musks-twitter-takeover-is-now-the-worst-buyout-for-banks-since-the-financial-crisis-3f4272cb

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

!

ea1a325d-8acf-4824-8f0c-3b5530b4cb03.png

I really wish I could find the thread from yesterday I saw (I forgot to like it). The post noted that at this point on Twitter it's almost impossible to get Elon to NOT retweet anything that is mis-information about the left. It included a tweet about Harris-Walz using a Nazi organization name as a slogan. He replied to it with a similar ! response.

The guy is off his rocker.

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The guy is off his rocker.

He's really ramped it up over the past month or so.  The problems with the Trump interview didn't help.  He's getting mocked a lot more. Tesla stock is not where he wants it to be (or maybe even needs it to be). I think there's been a setback or two in court.  The CyberTruck is a running joke online - he maybe surrounding himself with yes men and only following certain people or topics, but you know he occasionally searches for the CyberTruck on twitter and sees the mockery.

Musk desperately wants certain people to say certain things, he's constantly looking for validation, but he's not quite getting what he expected.  That interview he did with Trump did not go how he planned it to go, even though he was clearly trying to lead Trump to say certain things.

For somebody who is always talking about people having babies and the end of civilization, etc., etc. , the dude just needs a girlfriend or boyfriend and go get a yacht and avoid water spouts off the coast of Italy.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, HenryJames said:

hahaha

"Thanks chiefly to the legacy Twitter LBO debt, Barclays senior M&A team were informed last year their annual compensation would shrink by 40% over the previous year. The cut was so severe that almost a quarter of the bank’s 200-plus managing directors quit once they had collected it."

• Haha 8