Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

7 hours ago, Walser said:

My sister (lawyer can you believe it) is going through a bit of a mid-life crisis. Divorce, Taylor Swift Europe tour groupie, saltwater aquarium with sea horses, $16k lamp. She's been cuckoo for cocoa puffs recently. She got a Foundation series cyber truck (aka cyberbeast) last week. She thinks it's cool and so do her friends. She came by and I made her park down the street.

Pics? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

16 hours ago, Walser said:

My sister (lawyer can you believe it) is going through a bit of a mid-life crisis. Divorce, Taylor Swift Europe tour groupie, saltwater aquarium with sea horses, $16k lamp. She's been cuckoo for cocoa puffs recently. She got a Foundation series cyber truck (aka cyberbeast) last week. She thinks it's cool and so do her friends. She came by and I made her park down the street.

It's exactly what you think it is. Having 863hp or whatever the three ton thing does move quickly and smoothly. I tried to go in with an open mind, but everything about it is soulless. I held my tongue as I drove it around and had random people gawk at it and give me a thumbs up. (jim sliding low into the seat) To be fair I am a car guy, and most car guys hold the CT in disdain.

It has a menu of fart sounds that you can program for various functions, emitted from different speaker locations. Turn signal? Lower passenger seat toots. It goes on and on and super fucking annoying. There's a "dog mode" so you can leave your furry friend in air conditioning while you shop. I am afraid an unfortunate slew of toddler deaths are coming as a result. Calling it "dog mode" must be a CYA.

We were supposed to go race last Friday but she couldn't get enough of a charge all day on a regular charger. (not supercharger) We were going to go to San Antonio raceway so the round trip and what not and she deemed it was too far. Supposed to 0-60 in 2.6s. It was quick but I don't see it. In my old gasser I'm scared of encountering a Tesla S plaid in the wild, but I look forward to ripping a cyberbeast a new one. You know, when it is charged.

8 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Pics? 

The Office Thank You GIF

For a minute as I was catching up this morning I thought I was in the fucking twilight zone. We might be a bunch of heathens here, but damn if we don't have a code.

It has a menu of fart sounds that you can program for various functions, emitted from different speaker locations. Turn signal? Lower passenger seat toots. It goes on and on and super fucking annoying. There's a "dog mode" so you can leave your furry friend in air conditioning while you shop. I am afraid an unfortunate slew of toddler deaths are coming as a result. Calling it "dog mode" must be a CYA.

9 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Dog Mode was a software update to keep Texas summer from melting screens and various parts. It originally had dick to do with dogs. AFIK all Teslas kick on periodically in the heat I wonder what a safe park time at ABIA is?

This is 100% correct

image.png.ee52226eac399a7aae179413361a6e30.png

The linked article about failing screens is below.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/27989/teslas-screen-saga-shows-why-automotive-grade-matters

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Magic unicorn farts?

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I am not dying on this hill. So you lose 1-2 miles. Cool. They HAVE TO BE RECHARGED is my point.

Yes, they obviously have to be recharged from the grid.  In the US, an average of 20% of power in the grid is supplied by renewables.  In some places that number is nearly double.  In general, EVs get a good chunk of their charge from renewable sources.   

Now look at how efficient an EV is with that available energy compared to an ICE vehicle.   There is the equivalent of 33.7 kWh (this is the figure that the EPA uses) of energy in a gallon of gas.  The average efficiency for my Model 3 based on my driving habits and history is about 251 Wh per mile.  Which means that my Model 3 gets the equivalent of 134 mpg.  EVs are exceptionally efficient compared to ICE vehicles.  

When I am running the AC, it draws about 700W.  Leaving the AC on in my Tesla for 2 hours uses the same amount of energy that your ICE vehicle burns driving for just 1 mile.

Is it slightly wasteful to do this once or twice a week?  Sure, but it’s not like I’m leaving a Super Duty idling in the parking lot.  The energy waste from my little indulgence is a drop in the ocean compared to the daily energy waste of a typical ICE vehicle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Yes, they obviously have to be recharged from the grid.  In the US, an average of 20% of power in the grid is supplied by renewables.  In some places that number is nearly double.  In general, EVs get a good chunk of their charge from renewable sources.   

Now look at how efficient an EV is with that available energy compared to an ICE vehicle.   There is the equivalent of 33.7 kWh (this is the figure that the EPA uses) of energy in a gallon of gas.  The average efficiency for my Model 3 based on my driving habits and history is about 251 Wh per mile.  Which means that my Model 3 gets the equivalent of 134 mpg.  EVs are exceptionally efficient compared to ICE vehicles.  

When I am running the AC, it draws about 700W.  Leaving the AC on in my Tesla for 2 hours uses the same amount of energy that your ICE vehicle burns driving for just 1 mile.

Is it slightly wasteful to do this once or twice a week?  Sure, but it’s not like I’m leaving a Super Duty idling in the parking lot.  The energy waste from my little indulgence is a drop in the ocean compared to the daily energy waste of a typical ICE vehicle. 

Keep up those arguments. It makes this thread, well plus musk's stupidity and the failure of the CT enjoyable. \

So a little waste is ok? And how many watts = an Elon fart?

10 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Dude, you said you ran your car up to 2 hours just to keep our AC cold. You can do that with a 10 minute heads up. Just stop.

You are correct.  This is a practice I should adopt.  Honestly, I just threw the 2 hours out there as an upper bound, but I can't think of a time that I've actually done it for that long.  45 minutes to an hour... I've done that plenty, and I should stop.

But the numbers comparing energy usage between EVs and ICE vehicles are undeniable.  The "bUT ThEY cHARge FrOm ThE gRiD" gotcha falls completely flat when confronted with facts.  EVs on average only get about 80% of their "fuel" from fossil fuels and then they are five times more efficient with that "fuel" than an ICE vehicle.

Yes, I can do better, but it's a pretty rich criticism from anyone who drives an ICE vehicle. 

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

Can the Texas grid handle any more people switching to EV?

There's a lot of available capacity outside of peak hours.  Just need to manage charging schedules.  Charging from 120V outlet for daily use only draws about 1kW, which is less than a hair dryer.  

38 minutes ago, Deej said:

I agree this is an important question but just because EV are a relatively recent addition to grid usage it doesn't mean they have any less right to electricity. If Texas residents want to use power for EVs, it's ERCOT's (and presumably PUC and the Texas govt.) to expand the grid to meet that demand.  Whether power is being pumped into homes, industry or EVs, ERCOT is supposed to plan for that increase.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Deej said:

Good friend of mine is a CEO of a rural electric cooperative (not in Texas).  They have around 100,000 customers (probably 80-20 residential to business accounts).  They are adding, on average, around 200-400 new accounts per year.

He drives a Tesla, for what it's worth.   

But he's told me there is absolutely no way that his coop can handle 10,000 new electric vehicles coming onboard overnight, so if 10% of his customers decided to start plugging in tomorrow, there would be problems.

55 minutes ago, Deej said:

Short answer:

No

Long answer:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

In fairness and seriousness this isn't just a Texas issue. This is an issue with every power grid - they don't have the capacity to handle the population moving to EVs en masse. This was something that Rep. Thomas Massie used some faulty logic on to try to trip up Sec. Buttigieg on a few years back. Our current grid is at near capacity and is going to need updating REGARDLESS of EVs or petrol cars. But with preparations we can improve our grid across the board to bring it to a capacity to support a growing population and everyone moving to EVs.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Dude, you said you ran your car up to 2 hours just to keep our AC cold. You can do that with a 10 minute heads up. Just stop.

This is the part I don't get. Can you not just say okay I'm leaving in 10 minutes and send a message to your super duper car of the future to cool down? I can do that with my car and I don't even have to gargle billionaire balls on the internet for the privilege. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BearMace said:

This is the part I don't get. Can you not just say okay I'm leaving in 10 minutes and send a message to your super duper car of the future to cool down? I can do that with my car and I don't even have to gargle billionaire balls on the internet for the privilege. 

Yes... I absolutely can do this, but after several instances of forgetting to turn on the climate control before leaving, I started using "Keep Climate On" when I would get out of the car.  I admit that it is not an ideal solution, but that is my failing, not the vehicle's.    

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Manage charging schedules. I'm sure people will follow any recommendations. 

I think they mostly or at least partially would if they could program their chargers or cars to only charge when demand was low. Make it an incentive by billing the customer at a lower rate for electricity used during off peak times. You could have the same sort of thing at charging stations, "surge charging pricing" or whatever. 

If only we had the technology for such a wild concept...

23 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Yes... I absolutely can do this, but after several instances of forgetting to turn on the climate control before leaving, I started using "Keep Climate On" when I would get out of the car.  I admit that it is not an ideal solution, but that is my failing, not the vehicle's.    

Can it not sense a living organism in the car? I am sure Elon thought of that being a father and all. Otherwise someone could forget they are leaving Scruffy (or little Jimmy) when off for that avocado toast.

(see, I am making fun of Tesla and Elon at the same time.)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

Tree fiddy?

Add some zeros to that. We are talking Elon farts. Automatically enhanced with righteousness, stolen creativity, and ketamine. Chicks in New York are paying top dollar for that. (You better get the movie reference.)

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Can it not sense a living organism in the car? I am sure Elon thought of that being a father and all. Otherwise someone could forget they are leaving Scruffy (or little Jimmy) when off for that avocado toast.

(see, I am making fun of Tesla and Elon at the same time.)

Didn't you hear? Woke Mind Virus killed Jimmy.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I guess my inference that bottle size for a volume of a gas should be irrelevant, has not landed. 

If you are asking you cannot afford it. But if pay 50K extra for a feature they might work on in the future, you get an air freshener for your CT scented with his farts. Synthetic of course, but few know that.

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Haha 1

So we making some $$$ off fake elon farts or what? @MissingInAction hook luna up with a burrito or five, wait for nature and bottle it. I came up with manufacturing concept so I get 20%. I will kick 10% over to the Wreath Fund and the rest to a tailgate. Sell enough we can buy a Surly CT and deck it out for tail gates. We will get all the womenz.

So it's become all too obvious that Tesla drivers are the absolute worst drivers on the road.  My question is this:  Is it because the type of people who are interested in driving these vehicles are inherently shitty drivers, or is there something about the vehicles themselves that turn otherwise standard issue mediocre drivers into awful ones?  

There's also the element of dumbasses thinking Teslas are somehow safer than other cars and are buying them for their teenage daughters (damn if there isn't a teen girl driving a Tesal across two lanes on 2222 every fucking time I drive down it now), but the shitty driving predated this slew of teenagers in mom or dad's used Tesla.

19 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

So it's become all too obvious that Tesla drivers are the absolute worst drivers on the road.  My question is this:  Is it because the type of people who are interested in driving these vehicles are inherently shitty drivers, or is there something about the vehicles themselves that turn otherwise standard issue mediocre drivers into awful ones?  

Little of Column A, little of Column B

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Here we go. Brazilian court orders suspension of Xitter. Social media platform to be blocked by ISPs because it did not appoint legal representative in allotted time

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/aug/30/elon-musk-x-could-face-ban-in-brazil-after-failure-to-appoint-legal-representative

The court records are secret but it's believed this has to do with Musk's disinformation campaign and possibly fomenting revolution on behalf of former President Bolsonaro

Força Brasil! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Here we go. Brazilian court orders suspension of Xitter. Social media platform to be blocked by ISPs because it did not appoint legal representative in allotted time

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/aug/30/elon-musk-x-could-face-ban-in-brazil-after-failure-to-appoint-legal-representative

The court records are secret but it's believed this has to do with Musk's disinformation campaign and possibly fomenting revolution on behalf of former President Bolsonaro

https://www.theverge.com/2024/8/30/24232561/brazil-x-ban-sending-people-bluesky

Brazil’s X ban is sending lots of people to Bluesky

/ 

Brazilian users seem to be turning to Bluesky in droves while they can’t use X.

IMG_6858.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Elon is fine with it. He hates brown people.

Depends on who their President is:

Earlier this year in India, X faced similar requests for targeted account/post removal upon penalty of fines and imprisonment. X complied.

India has a right-wing government, while Brazil is cracking down on right-wing insurrectionists, so Musk complies with the former but fights the latter. https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/22/x-withholds-some-india-accounts-after-executive-order-from-modi-government-.html  via @maxkennerly.bsky.social

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2