Twisters

Hmbre97

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Is someone making an Oklahoma stereotype bingo card for that trailer?  We've got grain elevators, windmills, oil rigs, rodeos, wheat fields, run down diners, hay fields, cows.  I didn't catch a meth lab in there, but I guess they can't bat 1.000.

Seriously, that opening scene at the rodeo is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in years.  Every one of the cell phones would have blown up at least 15 minutes before that thing touched down.  Hell, they have enough warning any more they'd have probably postponed it before anything even got close.

Stealth tornadoes

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

Excuse me sir, that’s now how this works. That’s now how any of this works 

flying cow out front from the first movie should have told ya. 

That might actually be more ridiculous than the flying cow.

I kinda hate the first one too, for a bunch of reasons, but I still watched it as a kid a bunch of times.  It's a complicated relationship.

Just now, Genco said:

Stealth tornadoes

Engineered in a Chinese lab.

• Hook 'Em 1

To be fair, some tornado cells can sneak the fuck up on you quick. Just look at that storm that hit San Marcos last night. Weren't supposed to be any storms in this area yesterday and that fucker moved in super quick. 

As far as the trailer goes - interesting that they chose El Reno as a location being that that's the place where actual storm chasers died. 

50 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

As far as the trailer goes - interesting that they chose El Reno as a location being that that's the place where actual storm chasers died. 

Uh, that’s pretty clearly an homage to them and the movie is partly inspired by that 2013 storm.

• 1 month later...

During the filming of the rodeo scene (which took a full week), the extras spent about 9 hours a night in the gym at Star Spencer High School loading up on a fantastic variety of catered food. As you would expect, people were helping themselves to multiple plates. 

We got out to the rodeo arena for the shoot and the catered sliced brisket started to hit. During a break, I went to one of the fancy portable potties behind the stands and devastated the facility. When I opened the door to return to civilization, there stood Daisy Edgar-Jones with her arms crossed waiting for the restroom. I nodded a 'hello' but she didn't crack a smile or have much of a reaction.

It's looking like she survived the carnage of that porta-potty. God bless her. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:23 PM, mchookem said:

our Texas boy seems to have hit his stride of late, good for him! 🤘

He's the new Paxton. He can fit in a variety of roles. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it.

they did good 

a couple of scenes were rough but overall I was entertained 

Just now, Txangel9910 said:

Saw it this afternoon.  Was everything I wanted a summertime movie to be.  Corny at places....suspend common sense and you'll have a good time.  

This

Fun summer flick.  Agree with previous comments that there is no way anyone in OK would be caught as off guard as they are a couple of times in this movie.  Cheesy at times, but not as cheesy as its predecessor.  

Just got back. That was great. 

Glenn Powell has a ton of charisma. Daisy Jones has a ton of charisma. There's no hipster sarcasm or cringe marvel-type of humor. It's an earnest movie with straightforward storytelling, which was a relief. The effects are great, the cinematography is great, and the story works. 

Highly recommended.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, ajax said:

Just got back. That was great. 

Glenn Powell has a ton of charisma. Daisy Jones has a ton of charisma. There's no hipster sarcasm or cringe marvel-type of humor. It's an earnest movie with straightforward storytelling, which was a relief. The effects are great, the cinematography is great, and the story works. 

Highly recommended.

Jones didn’t do it for me.

but I guess that’s if I’m comparing to Hunt whose character runs laps around Kate in the sequel.

Spoiler

And wtf was Javi doing at the end leaving the MIT dude on the side of the road with an EF5 coming right at him. Hope he enjoys his time for involuntary manslaughter. 

This is pretty good at critiquing the Powell/Jones characters’ dynamic.

cant really argue with a lot of this…and agree with the idea of just wanting to see Powell’s character after a while, but I didn’t go in to this movie looking to see the two of them develop over the movie. I went in to see some entertaining action and destruction and it delivered.

SPOILERS:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/movies/lee-isaac-chung/twisters-review?mc_cid=da4933c721&mc_eid=eb6cfb5cc1&utm_source=PMNTNL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=240718

Spoiler

this is true:

Every time Kate and Javi are on screen together it’s a total snore, and you count down the moments until the presence of either Tyler or one of his friends to break the tension. The fun of Twister was that, despite her grit, Jo was much more outwardly straitlaced than her crazy team full of wild personalities, but she’s still crazier than Bill (Paxton) is trying to pretend that he isn’t anymore; together, they’re all united against the Big Business of Elwes’ Jonas Miller. By allying Kate with the Miller stand-in, a lot of Twisters is spent, quite frankly, waiting for Glen Powell to come back and make things interesting again

Coworker saw it in "4D" or whatever and liked it.

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

I really hope you’re not suggesting that boomerz is anything less than spectacular.  

Funny. I was talking with a different coworker about that spot. She said it used to be good but has gone downhill. Apparently they metal detector wand people upon entry?

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Coworker saw it in "4D" or whatever and liked it.

Funny. I was talking with a different coworker about that spot. She said it used to be good but has gone downhill. Apparently they metal detector wand people upon entry?

Oak Hill up to no good. 

Good summertime movie. Daisy did do it for me. Love the action, but I also loved the first one with Hunt and Paxton and in a lot of ways that one is better to me. Storyline was easier to understand and it had great actors, plus it still holds up to me. But this new one is really good. Love the soundtrack and I like the normal background soundtrack by Benjamin Wallfisch. I don’t think it’s available yet or at least I can’t find it. This movie is one I may buy but it’s great for a big screen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The wife and I went this afternoon and enjoyed it thoroughly. My only complaints are no Turnpike or Boland songs on the soundtrack, and they could have slipped a Reservation Dogs cameo in somewhere