Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

6 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Looks like I'm a few years behind (and it was recently added to Netflix) but I just started Your Honor with Brian Cranston.

Great cast and I'm a sucker for crime dramas

Cranston is great, as is the guy who plays Jimmy..but the writing is lazy/weak.  It's entertaining enough to stick around. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/23/2024 at 11:04 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

None of y'all will watch it for ... reasons ... but PLEASE watch just the first episode of "Tour de France Overdrive Season 2."  Holy shit.   My female friend who doesn't care about cycling (or even sports, really), watched this with me and got hooked.  It's a badass documentary series and the action shots, taken with cameras mounted to the bicycles as they race down mountains at 65 mph, and the crashes are insane.  Really gripping stuff about a sport that most Americans know very little about.

Friend zoned

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I watched a couple of episodes of it when it first came out. I just remember thinking the kid was so dumb to the point of absolutely hating his guts and hoping for bad things to happen to him.

1000%

I started Your Honor thinking it was another 8 episode mini series.  When I got to the 8th episode I thought "they got a lot of of shit to unpack, not sure..." then I looked and it's two seasons. I've gotten so used to these 8 ep series, I'm not sure I have the endurance for two seasons. 

Cranston playing the same character from BB, just now he's a judge, not a meth dealer. 

On 6/14/2024 at 3:44 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Watched a movie called Reptile which stars Benicio Del Toro (I love anything he’s in) and Justin Timberlake. It’s predictable yet still entertaining.

We watched it...Very good movie,  enjoyed it. 

Typical Netflix movie then? Because A Family Affair wasn’t much better.  Nicole never ages, Efron’s face is all jacked up and I wanted Joey King to die like 30 min into the movie. 

Is that movie with Sydney Sweeney and her tits and Glen Powell worth watching? I'm considering it, just for the obvious reasons. 

For obvious reasons, watch it.
Watched Mother of the Bride last night.  The writing was abysmal, and the acting wasn't any better. Brooke Shields has a giant FUPA, and Miranda Cosgrove has no tits and looks 12, so I just assumed that she was getting married to a pedophile.

It was pretty bad.

New season of The Mole features this young lady. She is built for speed if you know what I mean. Great ass and on top of everything else, she seems fairly sharp on the show.

She is super hot and appears to be one of the smartest players this season.

Anyone watched Scavenger's Reign? Totally hooked. Beautiful animations reminiscent of Studio Ghibli:

“Weird” hardly begins to describe the extraterrestrial life-forms the viewer encounters on the planet Vesta in “Scavengers Reign.” These include: lamprey-like blobs you can slap on your face to use as breathing masks; herds of equine beasts with throat pouches that inflate when they bellow; spiky fruit (I think?) whose ropy innards double as electrical cables; and a rhino-esque critter whose digestive tract harbors bioluminescent sacs that are useful as torches. (You retrieve them, er, the hard way.)

But these creatures are not the aliens. We are. The animated series, whose first three episodes of 12 arrive Thursday on Max, is a lush, magnificent, hypnotic story of human survival in a place that feels, in a way that sci-fi planets only occasionally manage, truly otherworldly.

If the survivors are living a nightmare — there is no lack of toxic, parasitic and stabby wildlife all around them — it is a gorgeous one. The luxurious backgrounds are reminiscent of Studio Ghibli films; the polymorphous biological forms make this feel like “Lost in Space” if it were rebooted by David Cronenberg.

The series is more entrancing than horror-show scary, though. It is attuned to its characters’ loneliness, fear and remorse, and there is a strain of psychedelic spirituality in its rendering of the surreal ecosystem.

There is not a clear line, on this planet, between plant and animal life, if the categories apply at all. The world is frightening and violent but in its own way harmonious. Bennett and Huettner have dreamed up a baroquely balanced ecosystem. Some creatures poison you, others eat the poison. What may seem to the harried survivors like constant danger is, on Vesta, just the cycle of life.

After all, we may root for the humans, but they are the invasive species here. “Scavengers Reign” imagines a future in which humanity treats the universe, like it did Earth, as a grab bag of extractable resources. The castaways, we learn, were workers in a corporate flotilla who crashed on the planet as a result of a dangerous shortcut meant to make their trip more profitable. The characters who fare best in this strange new world are those who adapt to it, sync with it, or even — like Levi, whose circuitry has become entwined with native vegetation — become part of it.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/7/2024 at 11:04 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Found Loudermilk a week ago. Almost 2 seasons down and one left to go. It's good so far. 

Not long ago for me, too.

A baby is introduced in season 3. Episodes bad enough to turn me off, but I'll return at some point.

I always feel like a shows producers must have babies and can't imagine anything cuter or more fun than the same fucking cliches. I hate it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

A baby is introduced in season 3. Episodes bad enough to turn me off, but I'll return at some point.

I always feel like a shows producers must have babies and can't imagine anything cuter or more fun than the same fucking cliches. I hate it.

I agree with that sentiment. Not a fan of babies/kids added to a show with no real need for them. But for this show, the baby really didn't play much of a part for that long. I only have 2 more episodes go to finish the series.

• Like 1

New season of Barbecue Showdown has the owner of KG's competing. 

Seems to be a better season though the times they give them to cook seem really short. There were some good cooks this season, and KG looks like he makes some good stuff. The woman from Kingwood also makes interesting food.

But of course, what show can exist without a visit from slimeball Matty Matheson. WTF he’s a Canadian he knows nothing about barbecue. Wish he’d disappear.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I looked at it as a plot device. It was a way to keep his old man in the show. Was it lazy? Probably so, but it made sense.

Like you I just stumbled on the show, and binged watched it. The music connection really helped me settle into it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Seems to be a better season though the times they give them to cook seem really short. There were some good cooks this season, and KG looks like he makes some good stuff. The woman from Kingwood also makes interesting food.

But of course, what show can exist without a visit from slimeball Matty Matheson. WTF he’s a Canadian he knows nothing about barbecue. Wish he’d disappear.

Why the hate for Matty? Slimeball?

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

He was spitting the same drivel in the most recent Top Chef thread. I don’t remember his bullshit reasoning because I try to quickly erase his stupid posts from my brain ASAP. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He’s a slimeball. Cant cook. Failed restauranteur. Revels in his filth. A Canadian shouldn’t be on a barbecue show. He’s popping up everywhere as the designated “very special guest” from the Bear.

He had zero biz on top chef either.

12 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

He’s a slimeball. Cant cook. Failed restauranteur. Revels in his filth. A Canadian shouldn’t be on a barbecue show. He’s popping up everywhere as the designated “very special guest” from the Bear.

He had zero biz on top chef either.

Let's be specific as to what he's done, that's what I don't understand. Slimeball is rather specific and as far as I know he has no me too things in his past? Is he goofy AF? For sure, but bad human? Be specific.

He's the special guest because he's in the food world and isn't a working actor. Easy to slot in and honestly seems like a likable guy.

Failed restaurants? Like literally every single other person who has opened a restaurant in the entire industry? 

He's absolutely fine. Do I love him? Naw but he's fine. 

I agree w you on bbq show. 

He was a guest judge in episode 6 of a top chef season. We had Ryan Braun as a guest judge in the next episode. Charlie Berens was a guest judge. Who cares?

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

Matty Matheson is a failed restauranteur...who owns 2 restaurants.

https://www.mattyspattysburgerclub.com/
https://primeseafoodpalace.ca/

Certainly can't cook though:

Matheson began working at Le Sélect Bistro in Toronto in 2003 under chef Rang Nguyen, who taught him French culinary techniques. In 2006, Matheson was hired at the restaurant, La Palette.[7] In 2010, Matheson became executive chef at the new Parts & Labour restaurant until it closed in 2019. 

Edited by Mittens

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mittens said:

Matty Matheson is a failed restauranteur...who owns 2 restaurants.

https://www.mattyspattysburgerclub.com/
https://primeseafoodpalace.ca/

Certainly can't cook though:

Matheson began working at Le Sélect Bistro in Toronto in 2003 under chef Rang Nguyen, who taught him French culinary techniques. In 2006, Matheson was hired at the restaurant, La Palette.[7] In 2010, Matheson became executive chef at the new Parts & Labour restaurant until it closed in 2019. 

Hating on him when he has a ton of hours showing him cooking on the internet, including in an actual tiny apartment kitchen on his Vice show, is wild. 

Again he's goofy as fuck. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way for sure. Honestly if you are an old, I bet you fucking HATE him.

He's all of those things but as far as I know he doesn't have a domestic or sexual assault past nor has he screwed folks out of tips not has he pulled a John Mueller and screwed investors.

BUT if he has I want to know.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/10/2024 at 2:13 PM, Foosters said:

Anyone watched Scavenger's Reign? Totally hooked. Beautiful animations reminiscent of Studio Ghibli:

Great show and I hope it being on Netflix will get the views for them to pick it up for a season 2

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/10/2024 at 2:13 PM, Foosters said:

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Great show and I hope it being on Netflix will get the views for them to pick it up for a season 2

I absolutely loved it (binged it 9 months ago on HBO Max- maybe we discussed it on that thread?). Agreed, hopefully more exposure will help it get picked up for another season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Hating on him when he has a ton of hours showing him cooking on the internet, including in an actual tiny apartment kitchen on his Vice show, is wild. 

Again he's goofy as fuck. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way for sure. Honestly if you are an old, I bet you fucking HATE him.

He's all of those things but as far as I know he doesn't have a domestic or sexual assault past nor has he screwed folks out of tips not has he pulled a John Mueller and screwed investors.
BUT if he has I want to know.

The fun of hating on Matty is it gets the cackles up of all his knobpolishers.

8 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

The fun of hating on Matty is it gets the cackles up of all his knobpolishers.

Calling people slimeballs and someone who can't cook when your entire reason for not liking them is "just because" is a really shitty way to live life.

The fact that's all you got is utterly disappointing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If you can’t see why he’s a slimeball that’s your problem not mine. He’s the stunt guest du jour and he’s as entertaining as a barbed wire enema.

I really was annoyed with his chaos cooking segment on Top Chef as he couldn’t define it or adequately judge it. Total waste of Christina Tosi who should have been the primary for the episode.

His fast food drop in on barbecue showdown was equally lame.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

I absolutely loved it (binged it 9 months ago on HBO Max- maybe we discussed it on that thread?). Agreed, hopefully more exposure will help it get picked up for another season. 

I recommended it to so many people.  Though usually my advice was to get stoned and then watch it and be amazed.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

If you can’t see why he’s a slimeball that’s your problem not mine. He’s the stunt guest du jour and he’s as entertaining as a barbed wire enema.

I really was annoyed with his chaos cooking segment on Top Chef as he couldn’t define it or adequately judge it. Total waste of Christina Tosi who should have been the primary for the episode.

His fast food drop in on barbecue showdown was equally lame.

So you ain't got shit, literally, and your complaint is with Magic Elves?

Hate on him for being annoying. Hate on him for many things, but don't make shit totally and completely up. 

Again as far as I know there is no SA history, no history of stealing tips, no finsncial irregularities, no nada. All the stuff that would label him an actual sleezeball.

Slimeball has no real definition. His general lack of hygiene in his cooking and lifestyle is slimebally. He’s an annoying personality of average talent at best. I guess he gets a point for finding a way to make a living despite that. Now go put your sanctimonious lecture about opinions on a message board in your shine box and fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Texzilla588 said:

Slimeball has no real definition. His general lack of hygiene in his cooking and lifestyle is slimebally. He’s an annoying personality of average talent at best. I guess he gets a point for finding a way to make a living despite that. Now go put your sanctimonious lecture about opinions on a message board in your shine box and fuck off.

Well slimeball typically means he has a bunch of skeletons in his closet, is a bad human and has done shitty things. Which as far as anyone knows he hasn't?

Instead you think he's because he annoying he's a slimeball.

If you think middling talent = slimeball then Idk what to tell you.

Being your opinion is fine, but doesn't mean he's a slimeball - so whatever.

Also GFY right back.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, NoName said:

Well slimeball typically means he has a bunch of skeletons in his closet, is a bad human and has done shitty things. Which as far as anyone knows he hasn't?

Instead you think he's because he annoying he's a slimeball.

If you think middling talent = slimeball then Idk what to tell you.

Being your opinion is fine, but doesn't mean he's a slimeball - so whatever.

Also GFY right back.

How long have you and Matty been dating?

• Like 1