Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

5 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Rebel Ridge is pretty damn good.  A solid entry in the FAFO thread as well.  

Very surprisingly good. A pretty blatant Jack Reacher knock off: ex-military bad ass literally stumbles into small town conspiracy and corruption. But it's a pretty tried and true formula. 

Beats their usual action movie approach of grossly overpaying some A-lister to mail it in for 117 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Very surprisingly good. A pretty blatant Jack Reacher knock off: ex-military bad ass literally stumbles into small town conspiracy and corruption. But it's a pretty tried and true formula. 

Beats their usual action movie approach of grossly overpaying some A-lister to mail it in for 117 minutes.

I definitely didn't expect it to be as good as it was. I thought of Rambo. But this movie did a good job keeping the tension going.

Got through 4 episodes of the McMahon doc. I think it’s a pretty fair portrayal. They definitely don’t try to redeem any of the shady bullshit he’s done, at least so far. Most of the footage was shot before the 2022 sale and the 2024 lawsuit though. 

Edited by MrX

McMahon series is great. I haven’t kept up with that since the 80s and now I feel like I’m completely caught up. I had no idea about 90% of those storylines and “eras”. The WCW stuff was interesting.

They pull very few punches on Vince imo - for a show that features him. I think the bigger point was - does the fan base care? No.

9 hours ago, wutang75 said:

McMahon series is great. I haven’t kept up with that since the 80s and now I feel like I’m completely caught up. I had no idea about 90% of those storylines and “eras”. The WCW stuff was interesting.

They pull very few punches on Vince imo - for a show that features him. I think the bigger point was - does the fan base care? No.

Well, the fan base is 12 year olds and adult males who can't get laid. 

• Haha 4

On 9/18/2024 at 2:46 PM, zman13 said:
  Hide contents

I like how the police arrest the pregnant woman because....???

There's no evidence linking her to the murder. Her husband stole the pill, so it's his fingerprints on the pill container. No one saw her give the drink to the pregnant woman. No one saw them out in the water. The only evidence the police have is that the pregnant lady was suspiciously washing a drinking glass the next morning. 

Spoiler

My wife and I went round and round on this as well.
She apparently had that weird rare hand cream that she could only get from some other county on her hands, and it was found in the hair/on the skull of the dead girl. 

On 9/28/2024 at 11:43 AM, wutang75 said:

Only watched the 1st episode so far, but damn if that wasn't a blast from the past.  Felt like I was back in the 80's reliving the good old days.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/25/2024 at 7:28 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

I am going to watch it but if it tries even once to redeem that mFer I’ll be upset. 

I presume it burns him down. 

We binged it Sunday.  I thought it was well done.  He’s a douchebag.  He’s a visionary.  But I lived from the old timey territory wrestling into what’s it’s become.  It doesn’t just focus on McMahon but all the storylines and wrestlers in it.  I didn’t think it presented him in a glowing light as a person.

On 9/15/2024 at 5:07 PM, royiv said:

Wife and I saw it in the theater this afternoon. Very much enjoyed it and I got a lot out of it. It made me reflect on some of my closest and oldest friendships. Felt like it struck a pretty good balance between presenting a friendship that transcends gender identity, the mental toll of grappling with living in a body that you weren’t meant to and the political environment all with a little humor mixed in. It’s only 114 minutes and I thought it could have gone deeper into certain areas, but at the same time it felt approachable for some people that might be more uncomfortable with the subject matter.

I will be very interested in your reaction after viewing.

My wife and I watched it last night. I have a ton of thoughts. My wife really loved it I definitely enjoyed it.  I’ve got some friends like Will and they are absolute treasures. I loved seeing Will’s humanity in this, it’s clear he really cares.

It’s obvious Harper is a baby out trans woman because she’s like “you’re my friend, you can ask me anything.” Well after a few years the last thing you want to talk about is trans shit. 

omfg, the shoes woman? No greater tell than always wearing heels and wearing them poorly. Fuck heels, I don’t know any woman that likes them. Harper is riding a unicycle in 4 inch heels for fucks sake. Stahp!!

Most people are pretty good one on one and this film proved it. The problem is online and groups, that’s where the danger is.

Back to shoes sorta, she had waaaaay more style pre transition I hate to say. Somebody needs to jump in and help a sister out.

the pain is real, until you’re settled into a normal life post transition there is nothing but constant pain. The film did a pretty good job getting that across.

you can work on your voice and tbqh for me, there’s nothing as cringy as a trans woman who just mails that part in and says fuck it not going to deal with it. That’s probably my own transphobia but I’m being honest that part was hard to watch. Related, older transitioners really make me sad because the younger you do it the better chances you have of hormones really taking hold. So I was also really sad watching it. 

the house in the middle of no where? We all have eccentric plans like that, I planned a second story master bedroom full apartment for me at one point - had the plans done and ready for permits. Anything to avoid coming out. 

having to relearn every situation and scenario in public, yep. 

Not fully representative of trans life (which can be pretty boring and not worthy of the screen) but a well done surface level, funny, endearing film. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Rebel Ridge is solid.  Don Johnson plays a pretty good bad guy.  He was pretty much the same character as Brawl in Cell Block 99 which I also like.  Cycling with headphones so loud you can't hear a cop car behind you is really stupid, and maybe justifiably gets you rammed off the road.  Not so much the other corruption though.

19 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Rebel Ridge is solid.  Don Johnson plays a pretty good bad guy.  He was pretty much the same character as Brawl in Cell Block 99 which I also like.  Cycling with headphones so loud you can't hear a cop car behind you is really stupid, and maybe justifiably gets you rammed off the road.  Not so much the other corruption though.

Don Johnson has been great in everything he’s done the last few years (i.e. east bound and down, knives out, etc). I’m surprised we don’t see him in stuff more frequently.

On 9/26/2024 at 8:54 AM, wildcat09 said:

Another vote for Rebel Ridge. Very solid flick. 

Started last night first few scenes were deeply troubling almost turned it off now enjoying it will finish it tonight. Def thumbs up.

Countdown was a pretty good horror flick.
About an app that predicts your exact time of death, and if you try anything to save yourself... Well you gone die.

Watched this a few years ago because Tom Segura has a role lol

4 minutes ago, Scraps said:
57 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:
Countdown was a pretty good horror flick.
About an app that predicts your exact time of death, and if you try anything to save yourself... Well you gone die.

Watched this a few years ago because Tom Segura has a role lol

He was great playing a condescending tech genius.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2024 at 6:58 PM, Chuckie Finster said:

If you need to score chick flick points, "Nobody Wants This" is very good.  Made me laugh out loud multiple times throughout the series.

Jonah from Veep and Willa from Succession steal the show.

Wife and I started it over the weekend. It’s legit funny. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/3/2024 at 3:50 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Don Johnson has been great in everything he’s done the last few years (i.e. east bound and down, knives out, etc). I’m surprised we don’t see him in stuff more frequently.

He was on an underappreciated british show called Sick Note. Laughed out loud nearly every scene he was in.

45 minutes ago, lateshow said:

You didn't like Shot Caller? WTF?

The ending was fucking rough. I also have a fear of false or unfair imprisonment and without spoiling it, the end fucked my head up. Actually had some semi nightmares about it. Shawshank is the exact opposite. 

29 minutes ago, troph said:

The ending was fucking rough. I also have a fear of false or unfair imprisonment and without spoiling it, the end fucked my head up. Actually had some semi nightmares about it. Shawshank is the exact opposite. 

Oh, I gotcha. 

1 minute ago, lateshow said:

Oh, I gotcha. 

from a quality of a movie standpoint? excellent.

I think it also highlights how fucked up our prison system is and I had an underlying reaction to that too. but that's not for this discussion.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2024 at 6:58 PM, Chuckie Finster said:

If you need to score chick flick points, "Nobody Wants This" is very good.  Made me laugh out loud multiple times throughout the series.

Jonah from Veep and Willa from Succession steal the show.

the chick version of loudermilk imo. I enjoyed both, wife left me to watch loudermilk alone after 2 episodes. she and I are all in on nobody wants this. it's legit funny with two insanely cute leading ladies. the rabbi's beard is dreadful though.

Edited by troph

I need to rewatch Shot Caller.  I couldn't remember if the DWI crash killed people in another car or just the people in his car.  Not that I have a soft spot for drunk drivers, but I always roll my eyes at the people in the car with the drunk driver being described as victims.  There are obviously scenarios where they could be victims, but for the most part if you go out drinking with someone and you get in the car with them you are complicit. 

On 9/22/2024 at 2:17 PM, Helobious said:

Menendez bros show is so good

On 9/22/2024 at 2:28 PM, Red Five said:

Damn, I was looking forward to that. Oh well.

Fucking uncanny.  I can usually push through a borderline shitty show, but I bailed on this after four episodes.

19 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Fucking uncanny.  I can usually push through a borderline shitty show, but I bailed on this after four episodes.

Yeah it is kind of a beating.  Dahmer one was better.  This is just hours of "i got molested".  I think I am to the episode where it goes into mom backstory so maybe it will be different than the first half.  I probably would have rather just watched the doc that came out like 3 days ago that someone mentioned