Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 9/2/2024 at 11:42 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The Terror was a great premise, but the execution could have used some more development. Still a better arctic thriller/terror show than the last season of True Detective, though. 

I enjoyed The Terror quite a bit but it was too long and a bit of a slog at the beginning. I thought the story was compelling enough with Tuunbaq.

Rebel Ridge is solid.  Don Johnson plays a pretty good bad guy.  He was pretty much the same character as Brawl in Cell Block 99 which I also like.  Cycling with headphones so loud you can't hear a cop car behind you is really stupid, and maybe justifiably gets you rammed off the road.  Not so much the other corruption though.

Really enjoyed this movie. Went in expecting Rambo but got a little reacher along with it.

And yeah the headphones part had me shaking my head as I deal with dash and body cams a lot. I muttered to myself that you kinda deserved the start of the movie.

The civil asset forfeiture conspiracy was an interesting angle.

Had fun watching it.

That main marine dude is gonna be the Green Lantern Jon Stewart in the new MAX series Lantern Corp

For your holiday viewing pleasure.  Or you wife's.  Or both.  This is Surly; no one is judged here.*

Chad Michael Murray Strips Down in Sexy First Look at Netflix Christmas Movie The Merry Gentlemen (Exclusive)

Chad Michael Murray is turning up the heat this Christmas.

PEOPLE has the exclusive first look at The Merry Gentlemen, starring Murray, Britt Robertson and Marla Sokoloff, who also wrote the Netflix holiday film, directed by Peter Sullivan.

The movie follows a former big-city dancer (Robertson) as she travels home for the holidays and stages an all-male, Christmas-themed revue in hopes of saving her parents’ small-town performing venue.

Playing one of those dashing male performers, Murray, 43, tells PEOPLE he saw the movie as an opportunity to do something he’s never done before: learn how to dance. 

“I'd never danced professionally or trained by any means,” he tells PEOPLE. “I love going out and dancing. My wife [Sarah Roemer] and I have danced at a wedding or two and we dance on occasion and we goof around at the house, but nothing to this level.” 

Murray admits it was scary taking on the role at first, but that’s why he decided to do it: “When I see something and it scares the crap out of me, something in me says, ‘Alright, well let's see what we can do. I'm going to fall flat on my face or have a lot of fun doing it.’ So that was what really pulled me in."

The star adds of the training, "As we get older, it's not as easy as it used to be when we were in our 20s, so it was a lot of work, dedication and focus. ... We were doing six-hour days in the dance hall. I got there before all the other guys so that I could learn the majority of all the things before they got there, because some of the guys have previous dance training. I wanted to be ahead of the curve so that I wasn't holding anybody back. If I was going to do this, I wanted to be all in."

Murray says the physical transformation was all "very intense" but, ultimately, "I love a good challenge.” 

Robertson, 34, says her costar was fully “immersed” during her first interaction with him at dance rehearsal, including wearing “full out hip-hop gear” and knee pads.

“He seemed to put a lot of effort into it and he cared a lot,” she says. “I always think that's a good sign when your actors care about what they're doing. So I was impressed!”

Meanwhile, Sokoloff, 43, says she was blown away by Murray and Robertson’s kindness on set, as well as their impressive abs.

“I have never been around so many people that have such impressive abdominal muscles — including Brit!” the Full House alum quips. “Not to mention how lovely they all were. The set was super fun. I loved chatting with Chad about our time in the early aughts, and how we had so many mutual friends but never met or worked together before.” 

When asked which was harder, learning dance moves for The Merry Gentlemen or practicing basketball for One Tree Hill, Murray says basketball. He adds that he developed such a love for dancing on the set of this Netflix film that he is already look for new ways he can foster that passion.

As for how the new movie compares to other Netflix holiday hits, Sokoloff jokes that this one certainly has more “hot topless men,” with Murray adding that they were able to “push the envelope a little bit” here.

Though his wife wasn’t on set with him for the dance scenes, he says that she was a bit “nervous” about the film when he first showed her behind-the-scenes footage.

“She was like, ‘Oh my God, what are you making?’ Because depending on how you shoot it and how you light it, it could be a completely different film,” he says, noting he was adamant about hitting the right “tone” with the movie. “It's a fine line to thread a Christmas movie and strippers and to make it work, right? It's not the first thing that comes to your mind when you think Christmas. So for us, it was really making sure that the tone's right.” 

“This isn't your standard, formatted genre piece for the holidays,” Murray adds. “We're doing a male dance revue, so it's something to get a little hot and bothered under the collar, which is great, but the romance is there, the sparks are flying, we've got some great comedy beats in there that you're going to laugh out loud.” 

Robertson hopes fans appreciate all the different types of performance art throughout the film, including her favorite, tap dancing.

“A lot of hard work and effort went into choreographing them,” she says of the dance numbers. “It's sort of at the heart of the film, so I hope people can appreciate that.” Though, she jokes, “The boys are pretty cute too! They get a very shirts-off, abs-out kind of look. It's really the reason you want to watch! I'm just the decoration.”

“It’s a different take on Christmas movies,” Sokoloff adds. “I, for one, love, love, love holiday movies, but this one has a different and fun vibe and something for everyone — and I’m not just saying that because I’m the writer! Chad and Britt are such a magical combo. … I just smile so big when watching them together.” 

The Merry Gentlemen — which also stars Beth Broderick, Michael Gross, Maxwell Caulfield, Hector David Jr., Colt Prattes and Marc Anthony Samuel — is on Netflix Nov. 20.

*possibly an untrue statement

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

yeah, that's the weirdest thing I've seen in a while. Ended up watching all 3 episodes. Are there more coming or was that it?

Google says they make an episode every 5 months or so (no fucking idea why)... so the next one will be in December at the earliest. 

It was apparently just a youtube thing that got crazy popular - like 350m views for the first episode. Again I have no idea why. It's nothing special. 

Also my 5yo watched it all twice before I realized how fucking weird it was. He wasn't freaked out by the haunted house shit at all. Apparently he's a psychopath or something I guess. 

Edited by NorthLoop

On 9/2/2024 at 10:57 PM, Helobious said:

Watched the “Going Varsity in Mariachi” documentary, it was excellent. 

Just watched it this morning. I really enjoyed it. 

I was just down in the RGV for water polo yesterday.  I always get this really odd emotion when I'm down there. I'm from SA, but I always feel like I'm missing out, or missed out on something that could have been part of "me" by not having any connection to the area.  Hard to explain.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Chico_SA said:

Just watched it this morning. I really enjoyed it. 

I was just down in the RGV for water polo yesterday.  I always get this really odd emotion when I'm down there. I'm from SA, but I always feel like I'm missing out, or missed out on something that could have been part of "me" by not having any connection to the area.  Hard to explain.

It’s one of the most unique areas of the country in my opinion. There’s an easygoingness to it that’s hard to describe. It’s not perfect and not for everyone, but I love it and am proud to be from there.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2024 at 12:19 AM, NorthLoop said:

Google says they make an episode every 5 months or so (no fucking idea why)... so the next one will be in December at the earliest. 

It was apparently just a youtube thing that got crazy popular - like 350m views for the first episode. Again I have no idea why. It's nothing special. 

Also my 5yo watched it all twice before I realized how fucking weird it was. He wasn't freaked out by the haunted house shit at all. Apparently he's a psychopath or something I guess. 

Keep an eye on Biscuit.

Watching Monsters, the Menendez short series.  The acting by the 2 guys playing the brothers is very good.  In one episode where one of the brothers is meeting with his lawyer, I dont recall an edit or camera angle change and he speaks for 30 minutes telling his side of the abuse (or at least a fabrication of).  I may have missed it, and I know they can do some cool stuff with camera editing, but man its damn near an isolated shot and does a hell of a job acting.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dark Winds.  Pretty good plot, decent acting, interesting view of Navajo culture.  The voodoo type shit is stupid though.  Wish they'd left that out.  Also, it gets tiresome when every white character is portrayed as either corrupt, stupid, or an "injun" hater.   That is no more acceptable with the roles reversed than it was in the days of white dominated TV.

• Hook 'Em 1

Trigger Warning starring Jessica Alba.

Wife and I were doing some financial stuff last night, so we clicked on the first brainless crap that we came upon to put on in the background, knowing full well it would suck. 

It was so bad that it was almost good. Jessica Alba is an elite special operator returning home to uncover the small town corruption that got her father killed. Either Alba insisted on doing most/all of the stunts herself, or the entire stunt team needs to be blacklisted from Hollywood. 

I think she must have sat through half a knife class and half an MMA class for exercise, and some dude trying to get laid told her how bad ass she looks wielding a knife. Then she called her agent to find her something, anything that would let her be the action lead. It's the only explanation.

5 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Watching Monsters, the Menendez short series.  The acting by the 2 guys playing the brothers is very good.  In one episode where one of the brothers is meeting with his lawyer, I dont recall an edit or camera angle change and he speaks for 30 minutes telling his side of the abuse (or at least a fabrication of).  I may have missed it, and I know they can do some cool stuff with camera editing, but man its damn near an isolated shot and does a hell of a job acting.

The guy who played Lyle was hysterical. He stole every scene he was in. I’ve never seen him in anything else but I’d bet he’ll be a star.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

He acted the hell out of that episode. It was a tough watch, though. 

21 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Trigger Warning starring Jessica Alba.

Wife and I were doing some financial stuff last night, so we clicked on the first brainless crap that we came upon to put on in the background, knowing full well it would suck. 

It was so bad that it was almost good. Jessica Alba is an elite special operator returning home to uncover the small town corruption that got her father killed. Either Alba insisted on doing most/all of the stunts herself, or the entire stunt team needs to be blacklisted from Hollywood. 

I think she must have sat through half a knife class and half an MMA class for exercise, and some dude trying to get laid told her how bad ass she looks wielding a knife. Then she called her agent to find her something, anything that would let her be the action lead. It's the only explanation.

I didn't even make it 10 minutes into that... and it wasn't because i was done masturbating.

On 10/15/2024 at 3:27 PM, ClubWhatever said:

Dark Winds.  Pretty good plot, decent acting, interesting view of Navajo culture.  The voodoo type shit is stupid though.  Wish they'd left that out.  Also, it gets tiresome when every white character is portrayed as either corrupt, stupid, or an "injun" hater.   That is no more acceptable with the roles reversed than it was in the days of white dominated TV.

I think the reporter was intended to try and balance it out, but the SJW types are also a stereotype.