Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 8/31/2024 at 1:05 AM, Hmbre97 said:

Home sick with covid so I've been burning through Netflix more than usual and had this come across my recommended: Logan Lucky

Logan Lucky [DVD]

Pretty good 2 hr time waster. Basically a red neck Ocean's 11 type film.

I watched this last night it was decent for what it is, definitely would call it a time waster.

12 hours ago, Superhero said:

Anyone watching Terminator Zero? I'm 5 episodes in and really enjoying it.

Event that that happened in Japan where a scientist creates an AI to counter Skynet, but the AI ends up killing people as well.

That sounds cool.  I was a fan of the TV show on Fox years back. Plus I’m having a hard time digging all the Star Trek universe show on Paramount.  Too many shows and huge commitment.  

On 9/12/2024 at 2:11 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I don’t give a shit-about-shit of who is right in her battle, but I really fucking liked the Hope Solo Untold

Watched this last night based on this rec, and goddamn...you really don't know what people go through or where they come from.  She was essentially feral before getting to UW.  Was amazed to hear she had a 4.0 GPA in HS, just based on how she grew up.  Had no idea she switched to GK in college after being recruited as a forward - that's impressive af.  Nice to know USSF has been a shitshow since day 1, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2024 at 1:54 PM, 4th&Five said:

Into the Fire is a new true crime drama doc out today but a bit different than most.  Well done, but pretty depressing.

Just finished it, probably the most engaging one I’ve seen in a while. What a wild story. Biological mom was a nutjob, but damn the adoptive dad was pure evil and his wife was either also evil or just an insanely dumb bitch. 

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Just finished it, probably the most engaging one I’ve seen in a while. What a wild story. Biological mom was a nutjob, but damn the adoptive dad was pure evil and his wife was either also evil or just an insanely dumb bitch. 

Spoiler

I was so annoyed when the mom kept talking about how she thought her daughter was buried in his backyard. It was such a stupid theory. Could not believe she ended up exactly right about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2024 at 9:18 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Shot Caller is back on. Shawshank is the undisputed GOAT prison movie. But Shot Caller might be Number 2. 

My sincerest apologies to Green Mile, Escape From Alcatraz, and American Me. All great films. 

I watched Shot Caller on Netflix last night.  I was totally into it.  Slow and gritty.  It had a HEAT/Miami Vice feal to it.  BUT....

Spoiler

I did not understand the ending at all.  I went on Redit to get some interpretations, but I still think the ending was off the rails.

There's another gritty prison movie that I liked.  Felon (2008).  It involves a regular dad that hits a burgler with a bat and kills him.  (Not a spoiler, it's in the trailer)  Then he goes to prison hell.  I found it streaming on Tubi for free. If you liked Shot Caller you will probably like Felon.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/6/2024 at 2:28 PM, troph said:

looking forward to this... reminds me of me and a few guys friends I have from before that are still close to me. though I'm way more attractive than harper, sorry not sorry.

Wife and I saw it in the theater this afternoon. Very much enjoyed it and I got a lot out of it. It made me reflect on some of my closest and oldest friendships. Felt like it struck a pretty good balance between presenting a friendship that transcends gender identity, the mental toll of grappling with living in a body that you weren’t meant to and the political environment all with a little humor mixed in. It’s only 114 minutes and I thought it could have gone deeper into certain areas, but at the same time it felt approachable for some people that might be more uncomfortable with the subject matter.

I will be very interested in your reaction after viewing.