Texas Baseball Recruiting Thread

Horny Bull

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Any news on Flores and Thomas, you get those 2 back and the lineup looks complete.

c - Galvan

1b - Thomas

2b - Mendoza

3b - Flores

ss - Rodriguez

lf - Winfield

cf - Gasparino

rf - Belyeu

dh - Schusessler

You misspelled A-Rod… 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Any news on Flores and Thomas, you get those 2 back and the lineup looks complete.

c - Galvan

1b - Thomas

2b - Mendoza

3b - Flores

ss - Rodriguez

lf - Winfield

cf - Gasparino

rf - Belyeu

dh - Schusessler

If Thomas comes back, I’d prefer him play in the outfield with Belyeu or Gaspo at first. But I highly doubt Thomas is coming back so whatever 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes it on campus. If I'm betting, I'm betting no. 

I have more hope in this staff than the previous,  that said, this guy probably goes high enough that he needs to go. Never know

On 7/11/2024 at 8:25 AM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

4.80 era over 30 innings…not sure that’s the stat I would have posted lol 

On 7/11/2024 at 8:30 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Gave up 16 ER in 30 innings.  

On 7/11/2024 at 8:49 AM, Spider2YBanana said:

Eh...that's pretty subpar. Hopefully that can be fixed. 

I hope the coaches who recruited him noticed that!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Dewey said:

I have more hope in this staff than the previous,  that said, this guy probably goes high enough that he needs to go. Never know

Forgive my ignorance of the details of college baseball, but would a player who is a very likely pro prospect may be willing to defer for a few years due to NIL? 

I just think maybe I would be tempted to go ahead and get some of the college experience while pulling in nice money rather than going straight to the harsh world of pro-baseball. Austin and UT (or many other colleges) sound better than AA ball for your first few years out of high school.

Am I crazy?

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

How is the player of the year by two prominent companies ranked #140? I’m not doubting you I just haz confused on how that makes sense 

He's player of the year in North Dakota, not nationwide.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

He’s ranked as the 140 prospect so he will be on campus unless they overspend his draft spot. 

Last year a 5th round pick made ~$455K, so it will be more this year.  And he may go a lot earlier, or a team may go underslot near the top of the first round and save money for later picks.  I don't think we can assume anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Forgive my ignorance of the details of college baseball, but would a player who is a very likely pro prospect may be willing to defer for a few years due to NIL? 

I just think maybe I would be tempted to go ahead and get some of the college experience while pulling in nice money rather than going straight to the harsh world of pro-baseball. Austin and UT (or many other colleges) sound better than AA ball for your first few years out of high school.

Am I crazy?

Not crazy at all, I been thinking on it.

Not only does NIL help to make the college route sweeter, but with most SEC games being televised, a player gets much more exposure to fans than being on some AA or even AAA team. Exposure and name recognition equals money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

How is the player of the year by two prominent companies ranked #140? I’m not doubting you I just haz confused on how that makes sense 

He's the gatorade player of the year in North Dakota...so yeah.  That's why.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

What about all those star players A&M brought in from the portal? They got 6 or 7 players who were on a team that the CWS finals!

Aggies saying that they're kicking our ass in the portal!

5 hours ago, Victor R. Franko said:

Not crazy at all, I been thinking on it.

Not only does NIL help to make the college route sweeter, but with most SEC games being televised, a player gets much more exposure to fans than being on some AA or even AAA team. Exposure and name recognition equals money.

I think with NIL and also the analytics are moving MLB teams more towards drafting college seasoned talent we will see more and more bigtime HS prospects go to college. Especially if some network decides to throw money at the SEC for baseball.

Pitchers though will probably always take the money

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think Darren erstad was once the player of the year in North Dakota. 

The great Rick Helling

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

So is this basically Schloss bringing in his recruit who he feels better about from A&M and then Lyons flipping to Aggie because of it? Or, vice versa?

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

Fantastic news on Flores. NIL put to very good use.

Well, he hasn't been drafted yet so... It didn't cost a crazy high number to make it worthwhile for him.

5 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Well, he hasn't been drafted yet so... It didn't cost a crazy high number to make it worthwhile for him.

He announced early in the 2nd day, with the way slotting works, no team is losing that amount to take a kid returning to school.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

We're into the 8th round and he was projected 4th. Teams know he is coming back. Slot value has decreased over 400k from where he projected to now. He can still be drafted two more times - one with leverage. He's coming back.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

He announced early in the 2nd day, with the way slotting works, no team is losing that amount to take a kid returning to school.

Exactly.

Edited by MuellerHorn