Texas Baseball Recruiting Thread

Horny Bull

Posted (edited)

These kids committing to us have been warned by Aggies of Texas' true nature and wickedness, but they are taken in by Schoss' evil magic powers. It's the only explanation for why a player would commit or transfer here.

Schlossnagle will create a bigger monster here even than the one he was creating in College Station. I don't think I've been happier about a UT hire since Mack Brown. I'm a fair weather fan when it comes to UT baseball. Looks like the sun is coming out.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Sorry for the double post. Likely my nephew will not play at Texas as much as I want him to. He is the most humble kid and spends his time helping the lower division on the senators and even my rec allstars team in his spare time. Legit dude. Couldn't be more proud. I will stop after this post. Sorry not Sorry.

There's always an uncle.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

These kids committing to us have been warned by Aggies of Texas' true nature and wickedness, but they are taken in by Schoss' evil magic powers. It's the only explanation for why a player would commit or transfer here.
Schlossnagle will create a bigger monster here even than the one he was creating in College Station. I don't think I've been happier about a UT hire since Mack Brown. I'm a fair weather fan when it comes to UT baseball. Looks like the sun is coming out.

Indeed it is. e03590101033d17b76447629a3632467.jpg

Posted (edited)

Another poor soul attracted to ebil tu.

Is this recruiting season going as well as it seems to be to the casual fan? Looks like we're cleaning up, but I'm an idiot on this topic.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Another poor soul attracted to ebil tu.

Is this recruiting season going as well as it seems to be to the casual fan? Looks like we're cleaning up, but I'm an idiot on this topic.

Baseball recruiting is hard to follow due to limited visibility and draft uncertainty. Rankings include commitments from players who will never step on campus. There aren’t enough CBB recruiting dorks to offer enough data for most of us to figure out what we truly believe. That said, yeah, seems like things are going well. 

The sands are shifting a bit regarding draft behaviors and NIL for HS recruits, and interest in CBB is allegedly on a significant rise, so maybe there’s better coverage and clarity in the future. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Baseball recruiting is hard to follow due to limited visibility and draft uncertainty. Rankings include commitments from players who will never step on campus. There aren’t enough CBB recruiting dorks to offer enough data for most of us to figure out what we truly believe. That said, yeah, seems like things are going well. 

The sands are shifting a bit regarding draft behaviors and NIL for HS recruits, and interest in CBB is allegedly on a significant rise, so maybe there’s better coverage and clarity in the future. 

As CTJ said, it is difficult to tell for several reasons.  One thing I can tell for sure is that the new regime was much more aggressive recruiting and in the portal than the previous one.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Oh yeah. When it comes to high school baseball recruiting, I could write a tome.

It's a strange sport to judge. What separates great from good is consistency. And that's hard to judge in high school because good players often end up with the same stats as (eventual) great players. Also, it's a sport where physical size doesn't mean a whole lot, to a point.

Relationships are everything. Did your kid get on with Marucci in time to be their premier SS for the next three years? Did you play college baseball? Do you have relationships with college coaches because you played? These are important questions in the baseball recruiting world.

Camps are important, but only if the people putting on the camps have their eyes on you when you show up. Otherwise, the camps are mostly money grabs.

This is the ultimate networking sport. And if you don't have a network, here's what happens (from experience): Your kid struggles to get D1 offers, even though he is a three year varsity starter (hitting .400+ each year). He runs a 6.36 60, with velos to match. I know this is what happens, because it happened to us.

It's not sour grapes. My kid did end up playing D1. I won't be surprised if big schools come after him this year or next. It's such a different game from college football or basketball. Look at rosters across the sport. Players on their third school are the rule, not the exception.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2024 at 10:49 PM, Caver60 said:

Oh yeah. When it comes to high school baseball recruiting, I could write a tome.

It's a strange sport to judge. What separates great from good is consistency. And that's hard to judge in high school because good players often end up with the same stats as (eventual) great players. Also, it's a sport where physical size doesn't mean a whole lot, to a point.

Relationships are everything. Did your kid get on with Marucci in time to be their premier SS for the next three years? Did you play college baseball? Do you have relationships with college coaches because you played? These are important questions in the baseball recruiting world.

Camps are important, but only if the people putting on the camps have their eyes on you when you show up. Otherwise, the camps are mostly money grabs.

This is the ultimate networking sport. And if you don't have a network, here's what happens (from experience): Your kid struggles to get D1 offers, even though he is a three year varsity starter (hitting .400+ each year). He runs a 6.36 60, with velos to match. I know this is what happens, because it happened to us.

It's not sour grapes. My kid did end up playing D1. I won't be surprised if big schools come after him this year or next. It's such a different game from college football or basketball. Look at rosters across the sport. Players on their third school are the rule, not the exception.

Yep.  I have posted before of our experience in recruiting.  We got to see football, baseball, and track recruiting.  On the spectrum of ease, track is the easiest by far.  It’s beautiful how transparent it is.  However, you have to initiate quite a bit for many schools to notice.  Football is in the middle.  A little more muddled than track, but somewhat transparent due to recruits laying their cards on the table for all to see.  Baseball is easily the most difficult because it is completely opaque.  It sucks.  What you mentioned regarding factors is absolutely true.

One disagreement with your post.  We found that size was much more important in baseball than football (kinda counterintuitive).  Baseball just doesn’t care about speed (rarely are the 60 yd times electronic).  Baseball wants big strong bodies that hit for power.  In a MLB game, it is comical watching some of these guys try to get around the bases.  Plus, baseball coaches really are only seeing summer league games and camps.  They are looking hard at numbers.  Frustrating.

I could go on for days.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He was projected to be a top 20 pick next year even before his monster performance with team USA. 

Zero chance he makes it to campus. 

Well a girl can hope. I agree. Doubt any of these guys do. We will see.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If we flip Lane Jr, holy shit the tears will be flowing.

I wonder if there’s a story with him. He goes to probably the roughest school in Fort Worth, with a laughingstock of a baseball program. He carried them to their first playoff appearance in 52 years this past season. I just have no idea why he goes to a school like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If we flip Lane Jr, holy shit the tears will be flowing.

My exact thoughts. I asked on the baseball board if they've heard anything since they're more in the know. God I hope he switches to Austin. The tears might literally kill us all. 

Plus the elder Lane doesn't seem to be a red ass aggy, so that does bode well. 

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock

11 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

My exact thoughts. I asked on the baseball board if they've heard anything since they're more in the know. God I hope he switches to Austin. The tears might literally kill us all. 

Plus the elder Lane doesn't seem to be a red ass aggy, so that does bode well. 

JerMichael Finley is his uncle as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Japorky's kid is good at baseball?

Lane Jr. led the Wyatt Chaparrals to break a 52-year playoff drought as a sophomore. He posted absurd stats, batting .588 and collecting 57 RBIs. Lane Jr. was arguably the best lead off hitter in the nation with 1.789 OPS and flashed serious speed, tallying 61 stolen bases.

Lane Jr., following a terrific sophomore season, was named the Co-Offensive Player of the Year for the Fort Worth-area. He is also a versatile defensive player with the ability to play anywhere on the field.

He’s the #3 ranked player in the country for the 2026 class.

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 3