The Sopranos

wild_turkey

On 1/21/2024 at 1:39 PM, mr. sunshine said:

Cameos - Off the top of my head Frank Sinatra, Jr., Lawrence Taylor, David Lee Roth, Ben Kingsley,  Lauren Bacall. Who else you got?

Guitar player for the E street band, David Chase briefly appeared in one scene, Southside Johnny Lyons.

On 2/9/2024 at 6:48 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I read somewhere that Rispoli begged David Chase to bring him back with a wig on to play Richie Aprile. Jesus Christ that would have been a disaster. 

I still think Phil is the show's best big bad, but Richie is a very close second. 

1. Richie Aprile

2. Phil Leotardo

3. Ralph Cifaretto 

34 minutes ago, lateshow said:

1. Richie Aprile

2. Phil Leotardo

3. Ralph Cifaretto 

Hard to argue with that list. I don’t recall Carmine or Johnny Sack ever discussing whacking Tony. Bitching about him sure, but they never put anything in motion. 

The Junior Feud was a pretty quick boil. Junior found out Tony was meeting with the capos at Green Grove + seeing a psychiatrist,  and he gave the nod. I liked Tony’s response, it was the right move. Punish Junior financially, demote him and Bobby, but don’t kill him because it makes the Sopranos like shit to kill blood relatives. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Here everyone, let's feel old together.    17 years ago today:

my GF at the time was convinced i sat on the remote or did something to mess with the TV when the screen went to black.  started yelling at me.  "turn it back. turn it back.  we're missing it."

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Here everyone, let's feel old together.    17 years ago today:

Meadow trying to parallel park is the most anxious part of that scene. 

Tony definitely seems resigned to his fate. Carlo probably puts him in jail or he gets whacked. Tony really didn’t express an opinion on Phil taking a plea. I wish Chase fleshed that out some. Gotti ordered all his guys to not take pleas and many of them are doing life sentences. Some are getting out after 30-40 years inside. If they plead many of them would have done 5-10 years. Almost every mobster pleads now. Jury trials are pretty rare, but if they could put bodies on Tony that would change things. I don’t believe Carlo could give the feds any murders ordered by Tony. Carlo killed Fat Dom with Sil, but that was a spur of the moment deal. I believe thats Carlo’s only on screen murder. 

I think Tony would have taken it to trial. Might as well. With his health issues, 10 years in prison is essentially a death sentence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2024 at 2:38 PM, Jive Turkey said:

We have a trailer and a release date. September 7. This looks good. Lots of behind the scenes stuff. 

Livia opens the trailer. Good.  She owned Tony no one else. Like no mob member, FBI agent, therapist, thug, cop or anyone else.  There is manipulative. And then there was Livia.

This clip is pure gold - Livia ripping and digging into a beaten down, jilted Janice, who has just murdered her fiancee / mob (quasi) boss. In need of some / any compassion, instead, Janice gets drilled into submission by her mom. Then Livia reloads and directs her maniacal evil toward an overmatched Tony. Looking for a kiss but knowingly disarming him, she goes for the coup de grace - nailing her son / dog with a sadistic laugh and smile, for the ages, when he trips while his security goes falling helplessly  to the cement.

Top 2 or 3 scene of the entire series.  Incredible acting, Nancy Marchand.  So damn good.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Livia opens the trailer. Good.  She owned Tony no one else. Like no mob member, FBI agent, therapist, thug, cop or anyone else.  There is manipulative. And then there was Livia.

This clip is pure gold - Livia ripping and digging into a beaten down, jilted Janice, who has just murdered her fiancee / mob (quasi) boss. In need of some / any compassion, instead, Janice gets drilled into submission by her mom. Then Livia reloads and directs her maniacal evil toward an overmatched Tony. Looking for a kiss but knowingly disarming him, she goes for the coup de grace - nailing her son / dog with a sadistic laugh and smile, for the ages, when he trips while his security goes falling helplessly  to the cement.

Top 2 or 3 scene of the entire series.  Incredible acting, Nancy Marchand.  So damn good.

This is why I think she tops the list of any Sopranos bad guys

10 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yup.

She was pure evil. And fantastic at that.

It's funny, the first time or two watching the series, I couldn't stand any scene she was in. Now, she's one of my favorite parts of the entire series. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Marchon was great as "Mrs. Pinchon", the owner of the fictional Los Angeles Tribune  on "Lou Grant" so many years ago. 

And as the mayor in Naked Gun. 

• Mayor : Drebin, I don't want anymore trouble like you had last year on the South Side. Understand? That's my policy.

Frank : Yes. Well, when I see 5 weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of 100 people, I shoot the bastards. That's *my* policy.

Mayor : That was a Shakespeare-In-The-Park production of "Julius Caesar", you moron! You killed 5 actors! Good ones.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Enjoyed it a lot.  Had no idea about some of these things discussed about Gandolfini.

Really good.  Lots of insight into Chase and the show.

Reminded what a kick I got out of the scene with Livia at Green Grove complaining about the neighbor-lady running the water constantly.  "Who does she think she is, Gunga Din?"

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

That line when Adriana asks Chris if he made a number two in his pants. Fuck this show was funny. 

Seeing all those hacks auditioning for Tony and Christopher  was funny.

And Chase drops another hint about the ending.

Wish it was longer.  

Funniest show! I love when tony finally just freaks out on AJ and drags him out of bed into his closet is the best

• Hook 'Em 1

The  doc is really well done and essential for any fan of the show. I really enjoyed the details about how during the table reads the actors would check in to see if their characters were safe or getting whacked in that episode, and how Chase or the producers would take them out for dinner as a way to soften the blow. Chase insisting that Drea's execution take place off camera was also quite telling.

And I thought the DP gave the best insight about the ending of the series and how that final scene just adds to the rewatchability of the Sopranos. If it had simply ended with an on camera killing/arrest/escape and tied up the series it wouldn't have worked as well. I'm of the belief that Chase's immediate cut to black was his way of executing us, the viewers. He pulled us all into the mob life, and as the series has shown the only way to truly get out is to die. And most times the people getting whacked never see it coming. What better way for the viewers to experience that finality and uncertainty than by simply ending it?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I'm of the belief that Chase's immediate cut to black was his way of executing us, the viewers. 

Nah. No way. Just think about Drea's death which you brought up. He cared about the character so much he didn't wanna see her shot. He (and others) talked about how he practically lived inside this show. He loved the show and the characters too much to end it with a 4th wall breaking gotcha prank.

Listen to how The DP talks about the layering, the build, the POV ideas borrowed from 2001. The ending is meticulously, painstakingly, and brilliantly constructed from Tony's POV. The cut to black is unquestionably a Tony POV shot. Nothingness. Black. Dead.

Chase dropped yet another hint too with the callback to the poem. He's all but admitted what he intended.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 8/23/2024 at 10:07 PM, Gil Bang said:

Marchon was great as "Mrs. Pinchon", the owner of the fictional Los Angeles Tribune  on "Lou Grant" so many years ago. 

Highly underrated series. Linda Kelsey was making headlines in my pants.