The Sopranos

wild_turkey

On 9/15/2024 at 8:04 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The  doc is really well done and essential for any fan of the show. I really enjoyed the details about how during the table reads the actors would check in to see if their characters were safe or getting whacked in that episode, and how Chase or the producers would take them out for dinner as a way to soften the blow. Chase insisting that Drea's execution take place off camera was also quite telling.

And I thought the DP gave the best insight about the ending of the series and how that final scene just adds to the rewatchability of the Sopranos. If it had simply ended with an on camera killing/arrest/escape and tied up the series it wouldn't have worked as well. I'm of the belief that Chase's immediate cut to black was his way of executing us, the viewers. He pulled us all into the mob life, and as the series has shown the only way to truly get out is to die. And most times the people getting whacked never see it coming. What better way for the viewers to experience that finality and uncertainty than by simply ending it?

Documentary was awesome. And showed insight that I never knew about the show. I laughed at Edie Falco calling Chase the overlord. He definitely seemed like a beating to work with but it was his show, his direction and he didn't want to deviate that much. But you could tell the toll it took on some of them. The long, grueling hours.

On 9/15/2024 at 8:15 AM, CurlyDumps said:

Nah. No way. Just think about Drea's death which you brought up. He cared about the character so much he didn't wanna see her shot. He (and others) talked about how he practically lived inside this show. He loved the show and the characters too much to end it with a 4th wall breaking gotcha prank.

It's very possible that Tony was whacked. Probable, even.  Maybe the entire family. But my point still stands that Chase brought the viewer into the world of the Jersey mob, and the only way you get out is when you die. In this instance, the audience is on the opposite side of the frame from Tommy Devito in Goodfellas when he thinks he's about to get made. 

"It goes on, and on, and on, and on..."

19 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

It's very possible that Tony was whacked. Probable, even.  Maybe the entire family. But my point still stands that Chase brought the viewer into the world of the Jersey mob, and the only way you get out is when you die. In this instance, the audience is on the opposite side of the frame from Tommy Devito in Goodfellas when he thinks he's about to get made. 

"It goes on, and on, and on, and on..."

Yeah, at the end of the day it is still technically left open ended and will remain that way unless Chase pulls a Ridley Scott. As the DP said, the open endedness made for an indelible ending that will talked about for a long, long time. Here we are still debating it.

The "only way you get out is when you die" reality is another reason why I think Tony was whacked. Just about everyone (except Paulie?) eventually ends up dead, in prison,  sick, or shot.  Tony was gettin it one of those ways, and I think Chase planned for Tony to die all along. Chase implied that in one of those more recent interviews when he talked about having an idea for a death scene back when they were shooting season 2(?).

Edited by CurlyDumps

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I have a question. I believe it was Edie Falco who in the documentary said something about how the entire cast was shocked when they saw the finale, because apparently they weren't expecting it to end that way? How were they expecting it to end? Was there more shot after the cut to black?

This is what I wondered. The cast is usually around for shooting, right? I would imagine they saw some alternate cuts for how it ended. I guess one of them being Tony dying or something. Seems like no one but Chase knew that the black screen ending was going to make the final cut.

Series was a 10/10. The ending? Not so much. Sure, it's still being discussed but a show/movie should have a definitive ending unless abruptly cancelled. I am watching for the director/writers vision of the entire story. I don't want to make my own assumptions of the ending. Doesn't take away from the series, though, even in my 2nd run through a few years ago. As others have said, that profession never ends well. Death, prison, witness protection are about the only 3 options.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I have a question. I believe it was Edie Falco who in the documentary said something about how the entire cast was shocked when they saw the finale, because apparently they weren't expecting it to end that way? How were they expecting it to end? Was there more shot after the cut to black?

They shot a fake ending to avoid potential leaks since that had become an issue. Nobody from the cast and crew knew which one was gonna be used until they saw it.

Deadline Interview where Chased talks about the fake ending.