Paramount+ on the chopping block

HiggyBaby

On 2/20/2024 at 9:59 PM, Macklemore said:

With my DirecTV satellite package, I get Paramount+ for free since the end of January with my Showtime subscription since they’ve rebranded the channel to Paramount+/Showtime.

Cool story bro.

• Fuck You 1

• 5 months later...

Chris Farley GIF by Leroy Patterson

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/paramount-television-studios-shut-down-cost-cuts-1236105340/

Paramount Television Studios, a production facility originally aimed at getting Paramount Pictures back into the business of making TV series, will shut down, the latest bout of cost cutting by parent corporation Paramount Global as it seeks to eliminate $500 million amid a chaotic shift in the entertainment industry.

“This has been a challenging and transformative time for the entire industry, and sadly, our studio is not immune,” said Nicole Clemens, president of the unit, which debuted in 2013, in a memo to staffers. “Over the past 11 years, she said, the studio “has weathered seemingly insurmountable obstacles through a combination of strength, determination, and unwavering commitment. We met these challenges with incredible resilience, creativity, and passion for what we do, and I could not be prouder of our team. We’ve also had the privilege to collaborate with some of the most brilliant creative talent in the industry to help tell incredible stories seen around the world, entertaining and shaping culture.”

All current series and development projects made under the Paramount Television Studios umbrella will move to CBS Studios. 

Paramount Television marked the second time Paramount Pictures tried to move into the TV business — separate from the storied shingle that was built on the Desilu production studio founded by Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. That studio, which backed such TV treasures as “I Love Lucy” and “Star Trek,” eventually became the center of Paramount Studios after an acquisition by Gulf + Western, and would be inherited by CBS after its split from the company formerly known as Viacom Inc. in 2005.

Under its aegis, the company produced “The Offer,” an insider tale of the making of the landmark movie, for Paramount+; and series based on Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan character for Amazon Prime Video. Other series it produced include “The Spiderwick Chronicles for Roku and a revival of the Terry Gilliam movie “Time Bandits” that is now a series on Apple’s streaming service.

54 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Is anyone watching Paramount+? I have a free trial and I watched some old episodes of the MTV Challenges and my wife likes watching the DCC Cheerleaders show but other than that I’m not seeing anything worth keeping after the free trial. 

If you’ve missed Texas 6 about 6 man ball in Strawn I suggest you binge it. An excellent sports doc that also gets into the challenges of Texas small towns and the kids growing up in them. In a few years they’ll have to play 3 man football.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, MrBig said:

Is anyone watching Paramount+? I have a free trial and I watched some old episodes of the MTV Challenges and my wife likes watching the DCC Cheerleaders show but other than that I’m not seeing anything worth keeping after the free trial. 

yep i subscribe for champions league and serie a

• Hook 'Em 1

ABC/espn should pick up the champions league given that they were great at broadcasting soccer and have mostly irrelevant content now outside of a few good matches in La Liga, Bundesliga, English cup games, and  championship rows (ok these are usually bangers!)

4 hours ago, MrBig said:

Paw Patrol and Spongebob Squarepants for my kids.

Star Trek for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, MrBig said:

SEAL Team is a guilty pleasure for me.  Although the Paramount + platform is very shittily designed, yuge lag time.

Posted (edited)

I got it for Tulsa King. Pretty sure we cancelled it. The Hulu/Disney/espn+ bundle works well enough for me. Watch Netflix less but can’t get myself to cancel. My in laws finally cancelled their DirectTV so I can’t use their login for sports anymore. Added Hulu Live TV for the Olympics and will probably keep it through football season.

Edited by 'stache

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Pluto is a free app from Paramount. It has all the Paramount content and more. 

We often leave it on the Addams Family channel when doing other things around the house. I'll leave it on MST3k but the wife hates it so it's not on that when she's here.

I would leave it on one of the Star Trek channels, but I haven't watched every episode yet so I don't want to see something I haven't seen yet out of order.

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I would leave it on one of the Star Trek channels, but I haven't watched every episode yet so I don't want to see something I haven't seen yet out of order.

Yeah, you have to be careful when they randomly show episodes

[spioler]

It would be jarring to learn out-of-context that Kirk is Spock's son.

[/spoiler]

• Haha 2