Texas Primaries

5 minutes ago, Satchel said:

scary, angry, arrogant

Certainly words I’d never associate with a professional footballer.  BTW, did you know Allred played in the NFL?

12 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Per @cactusflinthead's article, Abbott needs two of his insurgent candidates to win. Right now, three are winning.

This might be false hope, but Abbott doesn’t just need two to win, he needs two to win in the GENERAL.  

1 minute ago, LCHorn said:

Certainly words I’d never associate with a professional footballer.  BTW, did you know Allred played in the NFL?

This might be false hope, but Abbott doesn’t just need two to win, he needs two to win in the GENERAL.  

Beyond false hope

15 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well it is the best future for somebody. All the private equity firms who are going to be scoring big profits from Texas tax payers. Ah well.

Brushing up on my Arabic so I can start a Muslim charter school to get them sweet sweet school voucher dollars from Lt Dan, Hot Wheels, and Ken “Lay” Paxton, what could possibly go wrong?

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Are there enough dems for Phelan to keep the speaker position?

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Are there enough dems for Phelan to keep the speaker position?

Believe there’ll be 64ish, so he/whoever will need ~dozen gop

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

16 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

IMG_0657.gif.4c603ccb935bd11590b579b38497d1fa.gif

HD 33: Incumbent Holland lost. Pro-voucher Pierson doesn't look like she'll have an opponent at all.

HD 44: Incumbent Kuempel lost. Pro-voucher Schoolcraft is facing Democratic candidate Eric Norman.

HD 58: Incumbent Burns lost. Pro-voucher Kerwin is facing a libertarian. No Dem is running in the general.

Abbott got his two, probably with one to spare. HD 44 is overwhelmingly Republican. These are the results from 2022 where Kuempel absolutely trounced the Dem.

image.png.6873ef349eba39806922bae76497dbee.png

Edited by bolverk
Added HD 44 results from 2022.

11 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Brushing up on my Arabic so I can start a Muslim charter school to get them sweet sweet school voucher dollars from Lt Dan, Hot Wheels, and Ken “Lay” Paxton, what could possibly go wrong?

I’m starting a charter school focused around the Canaanite fertility cult of Astarte. 

• Drool 1

And 365 of them are related to [mention=398]BearSchlong[/mention]

Pretty much, or the Broussards, Sherlocks, Greens, Crutchfield, Giglio, Jenkins, Daleo, Rayzors, or Dishmans. Lan, Mollie, and I were all class of ‘90 at Kelly, and Phoebe, Keely, and Pat were a few years ahead.

Now that my dad has passed, Pat Phelan and his wife Katherine have filled in as surrogate parents. I love and respect them greatly.

They do it for public service, not to line their pockets. Dade’s wife Kim and my wife Kim are close.

That peckerhead Covey was a mouthpiece, nothing more.

This is also a loss for Trump, as he had endorsed Covey.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

LOL. These seats are basically unopposed. Abbott wasn't going after urban Republicans in Travis County or something, but Rural Republicans trying to protect their districts interests from his terrible policies. For all the thanks they will get.

Edited by Valmy77

I’m glad Stephanie Klick lost.  She is responsible for writing that worthless POS compassionate Texans bill from 2015.  It’s basically the worst marijuana reform bill ever passed anywhere. It did nothing, but then gave Abbott an opportunity to sign it and grandstand by saying “ this is all I am doing on this topic or will allow on this topic as governor”.

The classic make it look like Texas is doing something, but when you look under the hood, the bill accomplished nothing. In the initial bill, there was supposed to be a 24/7 security guard police officer to “guard” the cannabis oil because it’s “dangerous stuff”. Idiotic out of touch Boomer Texans making shitty laws for the rest of us.

4 hours ago, bluto said:

the only hope for the state is Dade phelan to win speaker and go full double bird. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/05/24/dade-phelan-david-covey-texas-house-speaker-runoff/

Next year will be brutal as Abbott tries to destroy public education.  Here’s hoping the rural realize how fucked they are of Abbott gets his way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/05/24/dade-phelan-david-covey-texas-house-speaker-runoff/

Next year will be brutal as Abbott tries to destroy public education.  Here’s hoping the rural realize how fucked they are of Abbott gets his way.

This is gonna push my wife and I out of the state. We don't want our daughter getting a shitty and overpriced primary schooling, especially when I had such a rich and wonderful public schooling experience and a traumatic private school history

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Molly Cook may have just edged out Jarvis Johnson in SD-15, Whitmire old seat

1. Fuck John Whitmire

2. Gonna tell myself I was one of the 74 votes it looks like Molly won by, feels good. Got a bunch of campaign mail/flyers from Jarvis this past week and they were all pretty sleezy. 

3. Fuck John Whitmire

• Hook 'Em 6

40 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

1. Fuck John Whitmire

2. Gonna tell myself I was one of the 74 votes it looks like Molly won by, feels good. Got a bunch of campaign mail/flyers from Jarvis this past week and they were all pretty sleezy. 

3. Fuck John Whitmire

Thank you. I did a bunch of GOTV for this race. I know for a fact that my efforts got >20 people to the polls during early voting or yesterday. I have some really badass neighbors that actually thank me for bugging them to get off their ass to go vote in this shitty low turnout state. It felt good going to bed last night at 2a after being up since 4a to work a 15 hour day as an election clerk. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

This fuckin guy/state/party/time
image.thumb.png.5273b03e6fad2422810e0fe7944c67cf.png

If you're not going to attend an accredited college of Law, David, why even bother going?

This dumbass needs to get punched.

Now lets count how many “Republicans” vote straight D ticket in November?

That's my plan at least.

Lmfao@ arguing with a Phelan over legacy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Hell of a time to have my oldest just finish kindergarten.

Daughter just finished first grade. Within a week of school ending, two of her friends had moved to Ft. Collins and Olympia, Washington.

Posted (edited)

RIP Public Schools
RIP Teacher Retirement

Only hope is that some that voted for school vouchers only did so because they knew that there were enough votes opposing it and they didn't want to risk Abbot vengeance. Just need a few of those to flip.

A man can dream.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My youngest just finished 7th grade, and I'll just have to hope that his public high school (Austin McCallum) won't get so financially fucked over the next five years.  But I'm guessing even more really great teachers at that school will retire or find work elsewhere.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

But I'm guessing even more really great teachers at that school will retire or find work elsewhere.

Pretty much every good teacher could easily find work that pays better and with less stress outside the classroom.  The current government of Texas is basically begging this to happen.

• Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

24 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Pretty much every good teacher could easily find work that pays better and with less stress outside the classroom.  The current government of Texas is basically begging this to happen.

They want to kill public schools in Texas.  That's not paranoia or hyperbole - THEY HAVE FUCKING ADMITTED IT.  When they say the quiet parts out loud - and they do, from time to time - they make it plain that their mission is to end public schools in Texas.

You will either attend a GQP-approved fundagelical bible academy (oh, you catholic schools thinking that "vouchers" might help you....in the long run, you will end up excluded somehow as well), to indoctrinate you into "proper biblically based thinking," or you will attend something that replaces our current public schools, something like a trade school or, frankly, penal institute.  

You may think that our constitutional guarantee of public schools will help.  It will not.  Because the fundagelical GQP owns the SCOTX.  They will find that "funding bible-based freedom academies" satisfies the constitutional requirement, and that will be that.

The damage being done to future Texas is immeasurable, and near-total.  The cracks and breakdowns won't really show for a half a generation or so, so the GQP will do what they do here right now, yell "what are you panicking about, see, everything is fine!"  Until we reach the point where it's not fine.  And by that point....we'll have 10-20 years of broken systems in place.  Undoing that damage will take that long or longer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 6

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, bluto said:

We can complain about this all we want, but the fact is that TDP has done such a bad job of organizing at the county level for the last three decades that a good number of the GOP nominees will run unopposed unless an independent steps forward. 
A one party system will necessarily produce the worst nominee acceptable to a plurality of partisan voters, which is already necessarily a minority.
The world belongs to people who show up. Texas Democrats don’t. It’s up to regular people to save the state, if they want.

🤷

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Rage+1 5

Also, not sure how interesting this is, or how big a trend it points to, but we had a Democratic runoff in central Texas for a seat on the Third Court of Appeals.  Biggest county is Travis, but it goes pretty far west: Bastrop, Bell, Blanco, Burnet, Caldwell, Coke, Comal, Concho, Fayette, Hays, Irion, Lampasas, Lee, Llano, McCulloch, Milam, Mills, Runnels, San Saba, Schleicher, Sterling, Tom Green, Travis, and Williamson counties.

The incumbent was Edward Smith.  He's done a fine job, no need to primary him.  BUT....Dem primaries of late have shown that women voters dominate, and especially in judicial races where the average voter knows truly NOTHING about the candidate other than their name and gender, those races are pretty good proxies for broader partisan and other voting trends.  Running against him was Maggie Ellis, a fine candidate, but again....no real need to unseat Smith.  No scandal, no bad press, no horrible decisions.  Nothing.

So, the race was pretty much a race of "generic male incumbent vs. generic female challenger."  Turnout was SHIT, as it was the only race on the ballot in most places (turnout was 1.63% - 26,607 votes out of over 1.6 MILLION registered voters).  And the margin?  BRUTAL.  

Ellis- 17,280

Smith - 9,327

Damn near a 2-1 margin.  Interestingly, in Travis County, responsible for over HALF of the total votes cast, they ran neck-and-neck, Ellis 7,179 Smith 6,923.  But she smoked him in the rest of the counties.

So, is the takeway that women are THE dominant force in democrat voting?  I dunno.  I think that was the case in 2020 and 2022, and will continue to be the case.  But I found the dichotomy between Dem voters in Travis County (who, granted, includes a larger group of more plugged in people who actually DO know about these races, so the vote there is more "informed" as opposed to voting for the generic name/gender) and the other counties to be interesting.

Motivated women are probably the most important voting bloc this upcoming general election, nationwide.  If they show up, then we have a chance nationally.  If they don't....we're toast.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dibs on "Motivated Women" for band name.

This will read incredibly condescending as Lobo is wont to do.  But the female voter bloc in Texas, and around America is gonna fuck this all up for our daughters.  And men suck and are the worse thing to happen to women since malaria.  But we're dipshits and we at least acknowledge we're dipshits.  But I think they're voting the way they're voting to cover for their parents.  They're kind, sweet, and loving.  And so to give cover for their idiotic parents of cruelty and ignorance, women will continue to vote against their own interests and those of their daughters because Mom & Dad got an Abbott or Trump flag.  They are far more complex and insightful but I think their biggest asset is their loyalty of love.  And I'm starting to see it's their biggest flaw as well.  

• Fuck You 2

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

This will read incredibly condescending as Lobo is wont to do.  But the female voter bloc in Texas, and around America is gonna fuck this all up for our daughters.  And men suck and are the worse thing to happen to women since malaria.  But we're dipshits and we at least acknowledge we're dipshits.  But I think they're voting the way they're voting to cover for their parents.  They're kind, sweet, and loving.  And so to give cover for their idiotic parents of cruelty and ignorance, women will continue to vote against their own interests and those of their daughters because Mom & Dad got an Abbott or Trump flag.  They are far more complex and insightful but I think their biggest asset is their loyalty of love.  And I'm starting to see it's their biggest flaw as well.  

Holy shit. What a condescending, misogynistic thing to post here. Come to my wife or any number of highly intelligent and motivated women I know with this drivel and they will absolutely destroy you. Based on this and some of your other posts around here on other topics, I’m beginning to think you’ve got some deep seated issues with women.

Can hardly wait for the Surly women’s contingent to come across this one.

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah....I largely disagree.  Not that there isn't a bloc of women who DO vote the way you characterize.  But there are a metric shitton who have broken with their families, husbands, etc. on these issues.  I know quite a few women who one suspects were pretty regular GOP voters 10-12 years ago and today, they are motivated and angry Dem voters.

Yes, I don't understand women who vote against their basic interests because goshdarnit, that's how our family votes.  The same as I don't understand minorities who vote for a party that openly fucking hates them.  But I think the takeaway these days is "keep your eye on the motivated women who ARE willing to vote their interests, because they can swing things."

35 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

This is coming from the guy who was adamant that Paxton was done because the powers that be decided he needed to be gone. 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

My bad.

Women don’t vote Republican because it wouldn’t be correct.  Anybody  else wanna tell me why they are voting GOP and against the interests of themselves and their daughters. I am all fucking ears.

Look at the fucking turnout in the state of Texas and the United States when it comes to female voters   
Perhaps my messaging was not correct, but then again I’m not running for office    
One of you tell me why the fuck they’re doing what they’re doing to each other I’ll hang up and listen

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

My bad.

Women don’t vote Republican because it wouldn’t be correct.  Anybody  else wanna tell me why they are voting GOP and against the interests of themselves and their daughters. I am all fucking ears.

Look at the fucking turnout in the state of Texas and the United States when it comes to female voters   
Perhaps my messaging was not correct, but then again I’m not running for office    
One of you tell me why the fuck they’re doing what they’re doing to each other I’ll hang up and listen

Fuck off, you misogynistic piece of shit. Your drivel isn’t even worth responding to in detail. I would introduce you to some real women making real changes in my community, but they would scare you to death. I just got finished helping one get elected to the Texas State Senate. She would absolutely fucking destroy your ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fuck off, you misogynistic piece of shit. Your drivel isn’t even worth responding to in detail. I would introduce you to some real women making real changes in my community, but they would scare you to death. I just got finished helping one get elected to the Texas State Senate. She would absolutely fucking destroy your ass.

Well…that just sounds hot.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Voted for Molly Cook against Jarvis Johnson for state senator in Houston. Looks to be very close and my vote may have counted more than any point in my voting history. 74 vote difference right now.

Honesty I'm not entirely sure Cook is better than Johnson but she is an outsider who gets things done. I also think that the abortion laws in Texas go against the majority so it's important to have more women in Austin especially one who openly mentions her own experience. As a guy I have my thoughts and opinions about abortion but believe that women's' opinions mean much more than mine.

From what I could tell the Chronicle mainly endorsed Johnson because they said he had experience. That's weak and perhaps pandering from the Chronicle. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Voted for Molly Cook against Jarvis Johnson for state senator in Houston. Looks to be very close and my vote may have counted more than any point in my voting history. 74 vote difference right now.

Honesty I'm not entirely sure Cook is better than Johnson but she is an outsider who gets things done. I also think that the abortion laws in Texas go against the majority so it's important to have more women in Austin especially one who openly mentions her own experience. As a guy I have my thoughts and opinions about abortion but believe that women's' opinions mean much more than mine.

From what I could tell the Chronicle mainly endorsed Johnson because they said he had experience. That's weak and perhaps pandering from the Chronicle. 

The Chronicle is trash. 

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The Chronicle is trash. 

100%

Embarrassed a bit I didn’t vote in the run-off, but to be fair, as soon as I got back from vacation, immediately got sick and did not have the strength to go vote yesterday + the storm. I would have felt sicker if she lost but glad she didn’t need my 1 vote 

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

100%

Embarrassed a bit I didn’t vote in the run-off, but to be fair, as soon as I got back from vacation, immediately got sick and did not have the strength to go vote yesterday + the storm. I would have felt sicker if she lost but glad she didn’t need my 1 vote 

Same here, down to getting sick after vacation. I was a zombie yesterday after not getting any sleep the night before and just totally forgot about the runoff.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Feel the same way about the Molly Cook turnout, feels good to finally cast a vote that likely made a pretty big difference in something.

The comical also endorsed Whitmire who seems to be hell bent in dragging Houston back into his he 1950’s so whatever chucklefuck on their editorial board who is approving that shit can take a short jump off a high bridge…

• Hook 'Em 1