Kamala Harris 2024 - If you've got something to say, say it to my face

19 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I like Mark Kelly over Beshear, Shapiro etc ... for several reasons, the primary one being that his military background nullifies a strategic strongpoint in J.D. Vance's corral: his military service. 

"Mr. Vance, I flew 39 combat missions in Desert Storm and have received two Defense Superior Service Medals; one Legion of Merit; two Distinguished Flying Crosses; four Air Medals (two individual/two strike flight) with Combat "V"; two Navy Commendation Medals, (one with combat "V"); one Navy Achievement Medal; two Southwest Asia Service Medals; one Navy Expeditionary Medal; two Sea Service Deployment Ribbons; a NASA Distinguished Service Medal; and an Overseas Service Ribbon.  I've flown 50 different aircraft and made more than 375 carrier landings. Then I went into space. What was that you were saying about your job writing articles in Afghanistan?"

Also, Kelly's character and ethics are beyond reproach.

For me, that stuff is impressive.

But it's never been worthwhile for Dems to engage in valor-based dick measuring contests. At the end of the day, the average voter simply doesn't care. We saw this with John Kerry.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

For me, that stuff is impressive.

But it's never been worthwhile for Dems to engage in valor-based dick measuring contests. At the end of the day, the average voter simply doesn't care. We saw this with John Kerry.

So true. The pragmatist in me says Senator Kelly would be the smart choice. Although Dems will continue to lose the majority white vote, Kelly makes the ticket the most competitive it’s been in a long time. Plus we need Arizona.

6 minutes ago, Satchel said:

So true. The pragmatist in me says Senator Kelly would be the smart choice. Although Dems will continue to lose the majority white vote, Kelly makes the ticket the most competitive it’s been in a long time. Plus we need Arizona.

I think a generic, non-ancient Dem can carry AZ/NV. I'd rather get someone who can deliver MI/WI/PA. I'm leaning Shapiro but intrigued by Cooper. Not buying Beshear.

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I think a generic, non-ancient Dem can carry AZ/NV. I'd rather get someone who can deliver MI/WI/PA. I'm leaning Shapiro but intrigued by Cooper. Not buying Beshear.

I think Harris makes Michigan on her own, if you go with Shapiro, and he holds Pennsylvania, it's down to picking up one of Arizona, Georgia, Wisconsin, or outside shot North Carolina.  Those are big assumptions, and in that scenario Nevada doesn't matter (at least at the Presidential level) at all.  I like those odds.  

• Hook 'Em 2

North Carolina added the 3rd most people to their state since 2020 behind Texas and Florida. Choosing their popular, term limited Governor, for VP while also having a maniac Republican running for his spot, puts some good attention on the state and ramps up the R’s defense.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

North Carolina added the 3rd most people to their state since 2020 behind Texas and Florida. Choosing their popular, term limited Governor, for VP while also having a maniac Republican running for his spot, puts some good attention on the state and ramps up the R’s defense.

if he’s on board, I like this idea 

Kelly in the senate is extremely valuable, plus not sure if he has to give up his seat to run as vp.

Being a senator >>>>> Being Vp candidate 

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, futureman said:

lulz

Kamala Harris Breaks Record of Tiebreaking Votes in the Senate

The vice president has provided the decisive vote in the Senate 32 times, in a reflection of Democrats’ narrow majority and broader polarization in politics.

Dec. 5, 2023

Vice President Kamala Harris broke the centuries-old record on Tuesday for the most tiebreaking votes cast by a vice president in the Senate, underscoring Democrats’ tenuous hold on the majority and the deep polarization gripping Congress.

It was the latest bit of history to be made by Ms. Harris, a former senator from California and the first woman, African American and Asian American to serve as vice president. She cast her 32nd tiebreaking vote on Tuesday, beating the previous record of 31 set nearly 200 years ago by John C. Calhoun, who was vice president from 1825 to 1832.

“Today is historic,” Senator Chuck Schumer, the majority leader, said on the Senate floor after Ms. Harris cast her vote. “The record Vice President Harris sets today is significant not just because of the number, but because of what she’s made possible with tiebreaking votes.”

Mr. Schumer presented Ms. Harris with a golden gavel to commemorate the milestone after she provided the 51st vote to move ahead with confirming Judge Loren AliKhan to the U.S. District Court in Washington. Senator Joe Manchin III, Democrat of West Virginia, broke with his party and voted to block the move, leaving the chamber in a 50-50 tie and prompting Ms. Harris to step in.

While Democrats and the White House celebrated the move, the occasion was the latest reminder of the deep polarization in Congress and the Democrats’ razor-thin Senate majority that has forced Ms. Harris to provide the decisive vote more times in just under three years than any other vice president. With slim margins of control in Congress and a substantial domestic agenda, Mr. Biden has relied on Ms. Harris for the decisive votes to advance major legislation including his sweeping pandemic aid plan and his expansive health, climate and tax law, the Inflation Reduction Act.

Five of her tiebreakers advanced the confirmation of federal judges.

The vice president serves as the president of the Senate, giving her the constitutional power to break ties in the 100-member body. Since 1789, 300 tiebreaking votes have been cast. Former Vice President Mike Pence provided 13 tiebreakers while in office, and President Biden cast none while serving as vice president.

“It is only fitting that Vice President Harris — the first woman, the first Black American, and the first South Asian American elected vice president — has set a new standard and brought us into the 21st century,” Representative James E. Clyburn, Democrat of South Carolina and the assistant House Democratic leader, said in a statement noting that Mr. Calhoun had been a major proponent of slavery. “This historic moment should serve as a monument to the significant progress we have made under the Biden-Harris administration and a testament to this administration’s promise to deliver on behalf of the American people.”

Ms. Harris entered the chamber Tuesday afternoon wearing an emerald green pantsuit and shared a hug with her former colleague Senator John Hickenlooper, Democrat of Colorado, who was presiding over the Senate, before they swapped positions on the dais and she cast her history-making vote.

She had hoped that last year’s elections — which gave her party a 51-to-49 edge — would provide her some more breathing space to carve out her own lane as vice president. Late last year, Senator Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona left the Democratic Party to become an independent, but she often still votes with Democrats. Ms. Harris has been forced to remain tethered to Washington, never more than 24 hours away from the Capitol when the Senate was in session in case her vote was needed.

“Every time duty has called, Vice President Harris has answered — more than any other vice president in our nation’s long and storied history,” Mr. Schumer said on the Senate floor as Ms. Harris presided on Tuesday. “This is a great milestone, and yours is even a greater legacy.”

• Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Heard an interview with Cooper on Black Sirius. It didn’t go well. He’d have some problems generating excitement with this bloc. Shapiro will happen. It’s just a question of when. The Dem 40-50 bench is deep.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

if he’s on board, I like this idea 

Kelly in the senate is extremely valuable, plus not sure if he has to give up his seat to run as vp.

Being a senator >>>>> Being Vp candidate 

I don’t disagree, but I don’t think he has to give up his seat to run 

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Kamala Harris Breaks Record of Tiebreaking Votes in the Senate

The vice president has provided the decisive vote in the Senate 32 times, in a reflection of Democrats’ narrow majority and broader polarization in politics.

Dec. 5, 2023

Vice President Kamala Harris broke the centuries-old record on Tuesday for the most tiebreaking votes cast by a vice president in the Senate, underscoring Democrats’ tenuous hold on the majority and the deep polarization gripping Congress.

It was the latest bit of history to be made by Ms. Harris, a former senator from California and the first woman, African American and Asian American to serve as vice president. She cast her 32nd tiebreaking vote on Tuesday, beating the previous record of 31 set nearly 200 years ago by John C. Calhoun, who was vice president from 1825 to 1832.

“Today is historic,” Senator Chuck Schumer, the majority leader, said on the Senate floor after Ms. Harris cast her vote. “The record Vice President Harris sets today is significant not just because of the number, but because of what she’s made possible with tiebreaking votes.”

Mr. Schumer presented Ms. Harris with a golden gavel to commemorate the milestone after she provided the 51st vote to move ahead with confirming Judge Loren AliKhan to the U.S. District Court in Washington. Senator Joe Manchin III, Democrat of West Virginia, broke with his party and voted to block the move, leaving the chamber in a 50-50 tie and prompting Ms. Harris to step in.

While Democrats and the White House celebrated the move, the occasion was the latest reminder of the deep polarization in Congress and the Democrats’ razor-thin Senate majority that has forced Ms. Harris to provide the decisive vote more times in just under three years than any other vice president. With slim margins of control in Congress and a substantial domestic agenda, Mr. Biden has relied on Ms. Harris for the decisive votes to advance major legislation including his sweeping pandemic aid plan and his expansive health, climate and tax law, the Inflation Reduction Act.

Five of her tiebreakers advanced the confirmation of federal judges.

The vice president serves as the president of the Senate, giving her the constitutional power to break ties in the 100-member body. Since 1789, 300 tiebreaking votes have been cast. Former Vice President Mike Pence provided 13 tiebreakers while in office, and President Biden cast none while serving as vice president.

“It is only fitting that Vice President Harris — the first woman, the first Black American, and the first South Asian American elected vice president — has set a new standard and brought us into the 21st century,” Representative James E. Clyburn, Democrat of South Carolina and the assistant House Democratic leader, said in a statement noting that Mr. Calhoun had been a major proponent of slavery. “This historic moment should serve as a monument to the significant progress we have made under the Biden-Harris administration and a testament to this administration’s promise to deliver on behalf of the American people.”

Ms. Harris entered the chamber Tuesday afternoon wearing an emerald green pantsuit and shared a hug with her former colleague Senator John Hickenlooper, Democrat of Colorado, who was presiding over the Senate, before they swapped positions on the dais and she cast her history-making vote.

She had hoped that last year’s elections — which gave her party a 51-to-49 edge — would provide her some more breathing space to carve out her own lane as vice president. Late last year, Senator Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona left the Democratic Party to become an independent, but she often still votes with Democrats. Ms. Harris has been forced to remain tethered to Washington, never more than 24 hours away from the Capitol when the Senate was in session in case her vote was needed.

“Every time duty has called, Vice President Harris has answered — more than any other vice president in our nation’s long and storied history,” Mr. Schumer said on the Senate floor as Ms. Harris presided on Tuesday. “This is a great milestone, and yours is even a greater legacy.”

IMG_3114.gif

Just now, 6th Street said:

Ohio, Florida, and NC are gone. Full of white trash hicks now

How has NC trended right while GA trended left? Something like 82% of its population are in one of the Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro Metro areas. The 8 most populous counties all went blue, most of those being by a lot.

For comparison, the four most populous counties in GA went blue, as did five of the top six.

Just now, chainsaw said:

How has NC trended right while GA trended left? Something like 82% of its population are in one of the Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro Metro areas. The 8 most populous counties all went blue, most of those being by a lot.

For comparison, the four most populous counties in GA went blue, as did five of the top six.

Dems had already bottomed out in rural GA ages ago. They hadn’t yet in NC

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I think it might be more nuanced than that, because Romney had won in 2012 way before the debut of Trumpism. I do think having a black candidate is going to help drive turnout in those populous counties.

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I think it might be more nuanced than that, because Romney had won in 2012 way before the debut of Trumpism. I do think having a black candidate is going to help drive turnout in those populous counties.

The rural/WWC realignment in 2010 directly led to Romney winning it in 2012 too. The suburbs have helped keep it close and I think Dems have bottomed out in western NC by now. It was ancestral Dem for a long time 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Obviously this possibility has gone through the heads of her and the writers over the summer.  But now that'll it'll be all but official this week, I'm guessing the writers are setting up zoom calls, buying 8-balls, and spending from now until the season premiere writing enough sketches to get her through the Saturday after Election Day.  This should be awesome.  

Who plays J.D. Vance by the way?  I think Mikey Day with a beard could pull if off, he's good at impressions, but he's kinda lanky.  Same for Longfellow.  Bowen would probably be the funniest at it, but I just think the obvious Asian v. Appalachian difference would be distracting.  Dismukes and Marcello are funny in ensemble, but not really great impressionists.  I bet it's Mikey or Longfellow with the right "padding."  John Higgins from PDD videos could also pull it off.  they're usually used in a few non-pre sketches throughout the season, this would be a more serious commitment.  Thoughts anyone?  

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is correct, but with a bit more nuance.  The growth of Atlanta is so enormous it's more or less overwhelming the rural districts at an even faster rate than any anticipated.  However, it's not just general growth, it's who it's attracting, which is educated, younger, and way more diverse.  Conversely, while North Carolina has grown, I would venture a guess that the rural growth rate, particularly on the coast and the mountains has to do with older people retiring in both areas.  While, Charlotte, Raleigh, and a to a lesser degree research triangle have grown, it hasn't outpaced ruralish retirement growth.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

get out the metro and university vote. Have to get people to vote early. Wonder if they pull the same polling tricks as Texas, on polling stations at universities ?

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Obviously this possibility has gone through the heads of her and the writers over the summer.  But now that'll it'll be all but official this week, I'm guessing the writers are setting up zoom calls, buying 8-balls, and spending from now until the season premiere writing enough sketches to get her through the Saturday after Election Day.  This should be awesome.  

Who plays J.D. Vance by the way?  I think Mikey Day with a beard could pull if off, he's good at impressions, but he's kinda lanky.  Same for Longfellow.  Bowen would probably be the funniest at it, but I just think the obvious Asian v. Appalachian difference would be distracting.  Dismukes and Marcello are funny in ensemble, but not really great impressionists.  I bet it's Mikey or Longfellow with the right "padding."  John Higgins from PDD videos could also pull it off.  they're usually used in a few non-pre sketches throughout the season, this would be a more serious commitment.  Thoughts anyone?  

Melissa McCarthy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If Biden and the party were smart he should step down now and let Kamala serve out the rest of his term as President.

Then she could do the kind of Presidential things as a candidate Biden never would do. Use that pulpit. Act like the boss. Hell she should even pardon Trump, because remember, she’s the boss. Act the fucking part. It’s def her best chance.

But I’m not sure these guys are smart enough.

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

If Biden and the party were smart he should step down now and let Kamala serve out the rest of his term as President.

Then she could do the kind of Presidential things as a candidate Biden never would do. Use that pulpit. Act like the boss. Hell she should even pardon Trump, because remember, she’s the boss. Act the fucking part. It’s def her best chance.

But he can do all that without having to worry about how it will effect those who vote for him. 

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I don’t think that is a good idea at all. She needs every second to campaign. She can’t be bogged down running the country. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I once thought this but doing so means the narrative is everyone in the Biden campaign was keeping his condition from America so much so that he had to completely abandon his position. Now he gets to serve out his term while Kamala gets to fully campaign. Making her president while Trump is able to f around is not a winning strategy. 

She needs to earn the presidency through the ballot box. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

No the next 4 months are much different now. It’s a victory lap for Biden celebrating him with Harris riding the momentum and good feelings into the election.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don’t think that is a good idea at all. She needs every second to campaign. She can’t be bogged down running the country. 

Yep! Agree totally. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

You really hope that will be the case but it won't. It will be some jackoff like Marianne Williamson but no one with any real weight. 

I don’t know if an anointment or “speed primary” is better or worse.  There are plausible arguments for both.  I do think there are going to be players who think they should be the choice and they will get more motivated by the day.  Obama, Schumer and Pelosi not endorsing Kamala make speed primary more and more likely.

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I don’t know if an anointment or “speed primary” is better or worse.  There are plausible arguments for both.  I do think there are going to be players who think they should be the choice and they will get more motivated by the day.  Obama, Schumer and Pelosi not endorsing Kamala make speed primary more and more likely.

Nice try. No, it doesn’t.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

This is a terrible idea. 

We can still be friends though. 

17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Saw Admiral McRaven’s named tossed out by a Dem friend on social media.

Heard that in person after the Biden debate meltdown.  He pledged to his wife and family not to run for office, not just the job, but the gruel a year-long campaign would take on his health.  

However, this would basically be just a 3-month campaign tour, not a 12-month.  And the office is far less grueling than that of POTUS, or even some Senators.  He does like being close to his grandkids more than most grandpas, so that's a factor.  But I didn't give it much thought when I heard it from someone very close to him.  But now that Harris is happening and it'd basically just be tip-toe around it for a month until the convention---not like he doesn't pop up every now and again.  Then mid-August to mid-November.  He could do that standing on his head.  But he would certainly not run with her in 2028, so that's another factor.  But didn't really think about the truncated cycle he'd be asked to function within.  I like this very much.  

In the end, she needs help in some swing states more than she needs "balance" to the ticket.  But it's not Shapiro, Cooper, or Kelly...it should be McRaven.  though he's done more than anyone for our nation and stood the watch.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Conventional dem wisdom at the moment is she will have the delegates - pledged voluntarily - within the week, I’d expect the party leaders to then congratulate and coronate. There won’t be a contested convention. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, troph said:

Conventional dem wisdom at the moment is she will have the delegates - pledged voluntarily - within the week, I’d expect the party leaders to then congratulate and coronate. There won’t be a contested convention. 

There is going to be significant pressure to slow that down and do it at the convention.  Lets not forget the catastrophe that Kamala’s 2020 candidacy was.  I expect a vocal contingent to be hard selling, “ we only get to do this once”.

Edited by Incredulity
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

There is going to be significant pressure to slow that down and do it at the convention.  Lets not forget the catastrophe that Kamala’s 2020 candidacy was.  I expect a vocal contingent to be hard selling, “ we only get to donthis once”.

Dog Time GIF

• Haha 3