Kamala Harris 2024 - If you've got something to say, say it to my face

6 hours ago, South Austin said:

This is what a lot of us are craving for.  I'm not black or a member of any other minority group.  But I still remember the emotional charge of the possibility that Barack Obama would become the President of the United States, and I was euphoric when he won the election.  It was mainlining hope right into my veins.

Of course, our country has been sliding down a hill of shit since then.  But still, I'd love a dose of optimism and excitement like I got in 2008.  I haven't felt that in a long time, even in 2020 with Biden v. Trump.  While Harris may not be able to cure any significant part of our country's ills, she helps slam the brakes on the direction MAGA wants to take us.  

And this is really all that matters.

• Hook 'Em 8

17 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I like this idea on a lot of levels, but mainly because Merrick Garland hits the bricks.  

While we are spitballing, Obama for SCOTUS sounds like a good start.  

All of her nominees need to be young as reasonably possible.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Ron Desantis Lol GIF by GIPHY News

But that is perfectly fine

overall theme correct. it blows my mind how much the misogyny comes out and what gets judged. i have an aunt who is a fucking democrat mayor of a town and the most ultra-feminist, progressive person and her response to my pointing out sunday that kamala had to be the one unless you want to lose atlanta, philly, pittsburgh, detroit, and milwaukee was "she needs voice lessons, her voice bugs me."

wtf, bitch?

that said, i do believe that ron's inability to function like a normal person and all these weird android trying to pass as a human displays of awkwardness completely halted and destroyed his momentum...a kind of slow burn howard dean.

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

I really have no issue her keeping most of the Cabinet secretaries, except she will and should probably make a change at AG, DHS and maybe SOS. 

Honestly, the quickest way she can blunt immediately being attacked by Dems is to replace Mayorkas at DHS. 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I really have no issue her keeping most of the Cabinet secretaries, except she will and should probably make a change at AG, DHS and maybe SOS. 

Honestly, the quickest way she can blunt immediately being attacked by Dems is to replace Mayorkas at DHS. 

I mean, they were talking about Supreme Court Justices, not cabinet secretaries. The age of those doesn't really make a difference. 

17 hours ago, BamaATL said:

This is the sort of invested engagement that wins.  I love it.  I was ride or die with Joe, but no way this sort of engagement happens without him stepping aside.  

An article in poor old AL.com today said it pretty well.  “Joe stepped up by stepping down.”

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Satchel said:

Pretty much this.  They're gonna have to sell everybody on "sure, they're not as seasoned as most justices, but..."   Folks need to remember Thomas was just 43 at confirmation, Roberts was 50, Gorsuch was 49, and Barrett 48.  It needs to be somebody 50 or under, period.  

-First thing is to of course to hope that Alito and/or Thomas is removed for cause

-Second thing is to hope that Alito and/or Thomas die.  Not out of the question since they'll be 78 and 80, respectively, at the end of her first term. 

-Third, pay attention to Sotamayor's age and health.  she'd be an 'older' 74 with her pre-existing conditions.  

-Fourth, Senate will be close for 2023-2025.  But 2025-2027 is arguably more in favor of Democrats.  But we know about first-term mid-term votes historically for the party out of the Oval.  No way GOP lets Harris nominate somebody in the final year of her year in office.  So they need to figure out the Sotamayor thing by end of first two years.  And then it's likely that if Thomas or Alito vacates their seat, they'd probably play ball and allow a new nomination.  By the end of her second term, no way Thomas AND Alito are both still up there so you could go from 6-3 MAGA to 5-4 Democratic nominees with a newbie in Sonya's seat.  But that's a long ways to go.

7 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

She needs to stop talking about the assault weapons ban.  Keep it about what you stated above.

You’d be surprised just how ready America is for an assault weapons ban.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Satchel said:

It has gone from a strongly support of 44% in 2019 to 37% in 2023. It is the type of issue in which she is singing to the choir. She needs to go get independents so focus on what gets her those voters.

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_042423/

• Hook 'Em 4

U.S. support for banning assault-style weapons in the U.S. 2023, by party

Published by Statista Research Department, Jul 5, 2024
 According to a survey conducted in February 2023, 53 percent of all registered voters in the United States strongly supported banning assault-style weapons. Opinions were divided based on political party, with 73 percent of Democrats saying they strongly support an assault weapon ban and 29 percent of Republicans strongly opposing such a ban.

Gun laws by state 

As the Second Amendment of the Constitution allows for citizens to own firearms, many citizens take advantage of that. Gun ownership rates across the country have fluctuated slightly over the past 30 years, with Texas being home to the highest number of registered guns in the country. However, gun ownership laws vary by state, as some states are stricter than others. The federal government does not have many laws that control gun sales, so it is up to the states to create their own legislation. States such as New York, New Jersey, and California have banned military-style weapons, while many other states such as Florida and Texas still allow them. 

Political opinions 

Gun ownership is a highly contentious topic between the two major parties in the United States. 78 percent of registered voters identifying themselves as Democrats strongly supported stricter gun control laws, while only 22 percent of Republican voters strongly supported stricter firearm legislation.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Satchel said:

Political opinions 

Gun ownership is a highly contentious topic between the two major parties in the United States. 78 percent of registered voters identifying themselves as Democrats strongly supported stricter gun control laws, while only 22 percent of Republican voters strongly supported stricter firearm legislation.

Let them be the highly contentious red meat throwing party and go get independents that like hanging out in the middle. Like I said it is a singing to the choir topic. It buys you nothing that you don't already own and can only hurt you. It is my opinion that independents that somewhat oppose or are neutral on an assault weapon ban don't hear assault weapon ban they hear gun ban. You want to throw a little gun control at your base talk about background checks instead.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, safe sex said:

Garland has got to go.

I would hope that Harris being a former prosecutor is just as annoyed with Garland as this board is. I don't know who she would pick to replace him, but I would hope she has someone chomping at the bit to go after some of these guys.  

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I would hope that Harris being a former prosecutor is just as annoyed with Garland as this board is. I don't know who she would pick to replace him, but I would hope she has someone chomping at the bit to go after some of these guys.  

44e331549254f49d14f98e802879b72a2568f0b8

/kidding?

• Hook 'Em 7

13 hours ago, Satchel said:

It’s not worth the expenditure of political capital and wouldn’t make any sort of dent in gun violence even if it happened, but I agree that saying it deepens the commitment of some Democratic voters in some places.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Satchel said:

U.S. support for banning assault-style weapons in the U.S. 2023, by party

Published by Statista Research Department, Jul 5, 2024
 According to a survey conducted in February 2023, 53 percent of all registered voters in the United States strongly supported banning assault-style weapons. Opinions were divided based on political party, with 73 percent of Democrats saying they strongly support an assault weapon ban and 29 percent of Republicans strongly opposing such a ban.

Gun laws by state 

As the Second Amendment of the Constitution allows for citizens to own firearms, many citizens take advantage of that. Gun ownership rates across the country have fluctuated slightly over the past 30 years, with Texas being home to the highest number of registered guns in the country. However, gun ownership laws vary by state, as some states are stricter than others. The federal government does not have many laws that control gun sales, so it is up to the states to create their own legislation. States such as New York, New Jersey, and California have banned military-style weapons, while many other states such as Florida and Texas still allow them. 

Political opinions 

Americans: willing to argue about  literally anything that keeps them from dealing with isolation, abuse and despair. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

The MAGA idiots work fast. Last night my supervisor came in griping about Kamala laughing at important subjects. I asked him for a specific moment and he was all "Well I don't know, but she does." This morning I run across a few MAGA posts and sure enough it's "Laughing Kamala." Guess they can't come up with anything legitimate.

Edited by RPM

Someone who manages to retain a modicum of humanity (laughter), while about doing two of the most difficult jobs in the world (VP and running for President)?  Oh, the horror! 

Also, they keep bringing up this shit about her parents not being born in the United States.  I don't get that one.  As long as she was, that's all that matters---you 'Students of the Constitution'  

None of the first 7 Presidents of this country had parents born in the United States because it didn't exist yet.  

And the first President with two native-born U.S. Citizens as parents?  You guessed it.  Martin Van Buren.

Proud8Boy4Ever!

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, RPM said:

The MAGA idiots work fast. Last night my supervisor came in griping about Kamala laughing at important subjects. I asked him for a specific moment and he was all "Well I don't know, but she does." This morning I run across a few MAGA posts and sure enough it's "Laughing Kamala." Guess they can't come up with anything legitimate.

I'm sure he's parroting one of the Fox News cretins. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Someone who manages to retain a modicum of humanity (laughter), while about doing two of the most difficult jobs in the world (VP and running for President)?  Oh, the horror! 

Also, they keep bringing up this shit about her parents not being born in the United States.  I don't get that one.  As long as she was, that's all that matters---you 'Students of the Constitution'  

None of the first 7 Presidents of this country had parents born in the United States because it didn't exist yet.  

And the first President with two native-born U.S. Citizens as parents?  You guessed it.  Martin Van Buren.

Proud8Boy4Ever!

I can help you out here. They’re racists. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I can help you out here. They’re racists. 

It didn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure that out, hell Larry Holmes could figure that out.  

23 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

lol. She’s awful. So is Trump. We’re fucked.

Serious question, what’s awful?  I know her background but don’t really see anything terrible there. Can you provide anything?  We know what a lying sack of shit pedophile trump is, but I’m curious now.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Proud8Boy4Ever!

Texags calls her Kackling Kamala. And then they all laugh and laugh about it. Seriously, adults. Adults think that’s funny and clever

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hefeweizen said:

Serious question, what’s awful?  I know her background but don’t really see anything terrible there. Can you provide anything?  We know what a lying sack of shit pedophile trump is, but I’m curious now.

If he comes back, it’ll be some combination of slut/laughs too much/soft on crime/not black/open borders/stabbed Joe in the back

• Like 1

Can you explain how she's awful?

She’s not very presidential. That bothers me. I don’t think she’s very smart, and we need someone really smart in that position. I don’t thing she’s particulary articulate - and that position begs for expert level articulation.

I didn’t really like Obama - but he was thoughtful, articulate, and presidential. He didn’t embarrass us on the world stage.

I don’t like Trump, so don’t spin this as me being pro Trump.

I liked Clinton. In hindsight - he was more fantastic than I thought.

She’s just not our best - and we need our best right now.

You suck. Fuck off.

If you like Trump that’s fine man!
  • Haha 1

What I am getting here is that there is no tolerance for people that dislike both candidates.

Is this correct?

If he comes back, it’ll be some combination of slut/laughs too much/soft on crime/not black/open borders/stabbed Joe in the back

Wrong. Not surprised.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

She’s not very presidential. That bothers me. I don’t think she’s very smart, and we need someone really smart in that position. I don’t thing she’s particulary articulate - and that position begs for expert level articulation.

I didn’t really like Obama - but he was thoughtful, articulate, and presidential. He didn’t embarrass us on the world stage.

Just now, Handcruser said:

What I am getting here is that there is no tolerance for people that dislike both candidates.

Is this correct?

You are welcome to your opinion, and free to share it. I just think you're wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Is this correct?

Setting Trump aside, the issue is that your reasons for disliking her are either flat wrong or subjective drivel. You look like a clown. I was expecting some thoughtful response on why you don’t like her. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Is this correct?

It’s just a knee jerk reaction to the dishonest trolls that show up.  

Just now, Js1 said:

Lol not smart, not articulate. Not presidential. 

Probably the easiest and most common tropes against black women running for office.

I had something typed up about it but decided not to post it. It really is rooted in misogyny and racism. I’m sure he doesn’t see himself as either and I expect a strongly worded post denying it. But it’s deep rooted. Not presidential? What does that mean exactly? Not very smart? Like what the fuck? Just a different standard 

• Hook 'Em 4

Setting Trump aside, the issue is that your reasons for disliking her are either flat wrong or subjective drivel. You look like a clown. I was expecting some thoughtful response on why you don’t like her. 

You’re a clown for slobbin on her knob. She got obliterated in the last round of primaries she was a non-factor because of the things I mentioned. It is t because she’s fucking black.

She wasn’t when a major player in those primaries. There were like 15 people above her. She sucked.

Now she’s your fucking choice and she’s awesome? Your own party thought she blew chunks. Get real man.
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

13 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Is this correct?

well have i got a deal for you!

200w (10).gif

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lol not smart, not articulate. Not presidential. 

Probably the easiest and most common tropes against black women running for office.

Look, his problem being that's she's an uppity, big-lipped, thug has absolutely nothing to do with race, buddy.

• Like 1