Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 11:14 PM, solamente73 said:

Which one of you rolls as “Fat Thor” in Southlake?

I'l admit it...other than it being a Dodge, I like it.  But, I am a 47 y/o child.  

Edited by Atxracer

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to get a used chevy.  anyone have strong opinions about 5.3 vs 6.2?  I've read some concerning things online (yeah, yeah) about the DFM and lifter failures.  anyone know anything about that?  

I have a 2021 model with the 5300. It's been great for me so far.

That engine has been around a while and is generally very solid. I think it has plenty of power. I tow a 6000 pound or so travel trailer and it goes up and down mountain highways no problem. Gas mileage isn't great while towing but it's not terrible day to day.

The primary issues the engine has are all related to their active fuel management system, which is their cylinder deactivation system.

Fortunately for me, my truck was built during the Covid related chip shortages and mine does not have cylinder deactivation at all. Many 2021 models had that left off because the chips that controlled it were in short supply.

• Like 2

Yeah, the AFM/DFM lifters will generally all fail at some point. Some at 25k, some at 100k, some even longer with lots of maintenance.

Best bet is to use synthetic and change your oil every 5k. Those lifters don’t like extended changes and need quality stuff.

You can always disable it, too.

• Hook 'Em 2

I have a 2022 GMC Sierra with the 6.2. I don’t know anything about the lifters or whatever but I love the extra power of the 6.2 over the 5.3 I had in my 19 Tahoe. My preference would be 6.2 for sure.

On 6/8/2024 at 11:50 AM, futureman said:

I'm looking to get a used chevy.  anyone have strong opinions about 5.3 vs 6.2?  I've read some concerning things online (yeah, yeah) about the DFM and lifter failures.  anyone know anything about that?  

I had a 5.3 go just under 300k without motor issues. Have had a 280k and 130k in 6.2s without motor issues.  I prefer the 6.2 for the extra oomph but they are millions of the 5.3s on the roads.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Does anyone have experience with these OBDII devices that disable the variable cylinder function?  I think it's called AFM or DFM.  My 2019 GMC AT4 with the 6.2 is a great truck.  I think my old Avalanche 5.3 died because of the V8/V4 mode.  Granted it made it 250k miles.  I bought a new motor for it.  I might want to put these disablers on both trucks.

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

Does anyone have experience with these OBDII devices that disable the variable cylinder function?  I think it's called AFM or DFM.  My 2019 GMC AT4 with the 6.2 is a great truck.  I think my old Avalanche 5.3 died because of the V8/V4 mode.  Granted it made it 250k miles.  I bought a new motor for it.  I might want to put these disablers on both trucks.

Someone with EFILive could do it in a min and would probably be pretty cheap. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So Ford is doing a 25% discount on accessories up to $1K and I happen to have a little over $200 in points through my vehicle purchase.  I'm in the market for a tonneau cover and am wondering if anyone has purchased a dealer one and, if so, what feedback do you have?  The ones I'm looking at are below.  I can get the hard roll up one for like $700 after all my discounts which seems like a great deal compared to the BAK Revolver X4 one for $1200.

F-150 2015-2024 Hard Roll Up Tonneau Cover for 5.5 ft Bed | Accessories.Ford.com

F-150 2015-2023 Retrax Embark Retractable Tonneau Cover for 5.5' Bed | Accessories.Ford.com

BAK Revolver X4s Tonneau Cover | RealTruck

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2024 at 6:11 PM, Elvis said:

My mom's Chrysler 300 burnt the motor up  after the solenoids that turn the fuel injectors on and off malfunctioned and kept pouring raw fuel into the cylinders but had the spark plug disabled. It washed the oil off of the rings and main journal bearings. We used a DiabloSport tuner to remove the feature after the engine was rebuilt. We used the same programmer and downloaded the same program for CHIEF Jr.'s 2014 Ram Hemi 5.7, they were really cool about doing it, and it cost about half as much. They make one for the GM 6.2.

https://www.holley.com/brands/diablosport/platform/gmc/sierra-1500/2019/engine/376-6-2l-v8/

CHIEF

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about the newer GM stuff but I know in the G8 community, even with disabling the AFM/DOD, the lifters themselves would still eventually fail. My 08 Sierra with the 5.3 was just starting to tick when I sold it with 160k on the clock. The 6.0 L76 in my G8 was fine but I swapped it for an LS3 which doesn't have that bullshit in it.

My mom did have a 22 Silverado with the 6.2 and it ran great but unfortunately an 18 wheeler merged into her lane and totaled it out.

20240718_142649.jpg

I don't know about the newer GM stuff but I know in the G8 community, even with disabling the AFM/DOD, the lifters themselves would still eventually fail. My 08 Sierra with the 5.3 was just starting to tick when I sold it with 160k on the clock. The 6.0 L76 in my G8 was fine but I swapped it for an LS3 which doesn't have that bullshit in it.

My mom did have a 22 Silverado with the 6.2 and it ran great but unfortunately an 18 wheeler merged into her lane and totaled it out.

20240718_142649.thumb.jpg.b59e87da76661e5a3f850016d3246830.jpg

I have a 22 Sierra with the 6.2. Should I be worried about this fuckery?

On 6/10/2024 at 7:50 AM, Hawndoh said:

Fortunately for me, my truck was built during the Covid related chip shortages and mine does not have cylinder deactivation at all. Many 2021 models had that left off because the chips that controlled it were in short supply.

Wow, I never thought about this.  I have a 2020 Trail Boss and it never even crossed my mind that it doesn't switch from V8 to V4 like my 2014 did.

I had my first problem with my 19 GMC AT4 this weekend 76k miles.  No indications leading up to it, just wouldn't start.  Luckily I was at the Home Depot parking lot and not on the side of the road.  Turned out to be the low pressure fuel pump in the gas tank.  $800.  I towed it to my buddy's shop on Sunday.  It will be ready today, but I can't get a ride until tomorrow.

I have had fuel pump, sender, and filter issues for 20 years with all of my GM vehicles.  2003 Tahoe, 2007 Avalanche, a second 2007 Avalance I had to drop the tank twice.  

12 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
15 hours ago, UncleBuck said:
Wasn't able to get a good picture, but... trucknutz.jpg.203fb31db32d049e2e56fc308e2fd22b.jpg

Damn, I remember flip phones.

Lol. I'd have used the original picture un-edited, but the lighting situation was not very good with the shadows and all black components of the truck and nuts (which are actually small tires from what I can tell with the naked eye), so I zoomed in and cropped it. Almost impossible to see them on the original. 

• Like 1

Thought I'd join this convo. Bought this 2021 Tundra about a year ago and love it. Hoping to keep her for awhile. I creep on Tundras.com to see what upgrades other owners are doing to get some inspiration. I think my next upgrade will be a new head unit (y'all have any suggestions?). I also want to get away from the 20-inch wheels and go to 18-inch (i like the look better), just didn't do it this time around because of the cost. 

truck.thumb.jpg.7e56cac38ad4b5185cfca47b632a26d3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dignan said:

Thought I'd join this convo. Bought this 2021 Tundra about a year ago and love it. Hoping to keep her for awhile. I creep on Tundras.com to see what upgrades other owners are doing to get some inspiration. I think my next upgrade will be a new head unit (y'all have any suggestions?). I also want to get away from the 20-inch wheels and go to 18-inch (i like the look better), just didn't do it this time around because of the cost. 

truck.thumb.jpg.7e56cac38ad4b5185cfca47b632a26d3.jpg

Yeah I'd really love to move away from the 20s on my F150 down to 18s or even 17s and get a lot more sidewall, it just looks so much better IMO.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I'd really love to move away from the 20s on my F150 down to 18s or even 17s and get a lot more sidewall, it just looks so much better IMO.

Totally agree. Too bad it is so damn expensive. Maybe my taste is a little more expensive...haha. Love the look of some of the Black Rhino wheels. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The good news is next time you need tires and move down to 17's, the tires will be cheaper as well. I run 34" Toyo AT3s in a 17" and to get the equivalant sized tire for a 20" rim is easily another $50+ per tire.

20230317_191501.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone have any experience with the Canyon’s or Colorado’s?

I have a 1500, but I really like the look of these as well.  If I dropped down in the size of truck would I just regret it?

IMG_6221.jpeg