Holy Shit. I hope Costner pulls this off: Horizon: An American Saga

Plorant

Man I'm torn on this one. I'm a huge "movie" Costner fan, pretty much love all his movies. I'd probably rate this one last of all his though. Had great visuals, cinematography, but just too many cliche frontier story lines. Nothing really grabbed me. I'll still see the rest, but maybe my hopes/expectations were too high on this one.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/29/2024 at 4:10 PM, Mo Horn said:

Saw it today. Really good, but very complex. I need to see it again before the next one comes out to get everything. 

On 6/29/2024 at 5:31 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I would call it a beautiful, entertaining mess. It felt like 4 separate TV shows squeezed into a 3 hour movie. 

Please go see in theaters so they’ll keep making Westerns. 

On 6/29/2024 at 8:42 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Man I'm torn on this one. I'm a huge "movie" Costner fan, pretty much love all his movies. I'd probably rate this one last of all his though. Had great visuals, cinematography, but just too many cliche frontier story lines. Nothing really grabbed me. I'll still see the rest, but maybe my hopes/expectations were too high on this one.

Sat through it yesterday. 

All of the above.

Just so much covered, and a bit haphazard. Maybe that’s the point. Settlement of the west was haphazard at times, why not the story.

Kind of reminds me of the first season of Frasier, in that it took a while to really get going, had a lot of character building, etc. Good, positioned for more, hope it lives up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I know a shitload of people who have not heard of it, and if they get part 1 up on streaming in August, that will potentially build up some audience for part 2.  I think they cheaped out on the marketing and we’re hoping enough people follow Costner’s career  that it wouldn’t matter (maybe hoping Yellowstone fans would find it), but it does matter.

————

“Hold your horses — Kevin Costner's Horizon: An American Saga — Chapter 2 is no longer coming to theaters in August.

The Western sequel was originally slated to ride into theaters on Aug. 16, but Entertainment Weekly has confirmed that it has been pulled from the schedule and doesn't have a new release date.

"Territory Pictures and New Line Cinema have decided not to release Horizon: Chapter 2 on Aug. 16 in order to give audiences a greater opportunity to discover the first installment of Horizon over the coming weeks, including on PVOD and Max," a New Line Cinema spokesperson said in a statement. "We thank our exhibition partners for their continued support as moviegoers across the US discover the film in its theatrical run."

I know a shitload of people who have not heard of it, and if they get part 1 up on streaming in August, that will potentially build up some audience for part 2.  I think they cheaped out on the marketing and we’re hoping enough people follow Costner’s career  that it wouldn’t matter (maybe hoping Yellowstone fans would find it), but it does matter.
————
“Hold your horses — Kevin Costner's Horizon: An American Saga — Chapter 2 is no longer coming to theaters in August.
The Western sequel was originally slated to ride into theaters on Aug. 16, but Entertainment Weekly has confirmed that it has been pulled from the schedule and doesn't have a new release date.
"Territory Pictures and New Line Cinema have decided not to release Horizon: Chapter 2 on Aug. 16 in order to give audiences a greater opportunity to discover the first installment of Horizon over the coming weeks, including on PVOD and Max," a New Line Cinema spokesperson said in a statement. "We thank our exhibition partners for their continued support as moviegoers across the US discover the film in its theatrical run."

This always seemed real stupid. You need to give people time to watch at home before releasing part 2. This is not even a paradigm shift with less people going to the theater, this just seems like common sense in any era.

I assume part 3 and 4 aren’t filming any time soon.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Stringer said:

This always seemed real stupid. You need to give people time to watch at home before releasing part 2. This is not even a paradigm shift with less people going to the theater, this just seems like common sense in any era.

I get that Costner is old school and still in love with epic movies on the big screen, but yeah, part two should have been a Thanksgiving/Christmas release from the start, because there are people who don’t always watch new movies in the theaters these days, and letting them see part one at home could hook them into going to see part two (and three and four) in the theaters.

A part of me wishes he would have taken this 10-12 hour movie series and make it into a huge TV show ala Centennial, but yeah, he loves the big screen.

32 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I get that Costner is old school and still in love with epic movies on the big screen, but yeah, part two should have been a Thanksgiving/Christmas release from the start, because there are people who don’t always watch new movies in the theaters these days, and letting them see part one at home could hook them into going to see part two (and three and four) in the theaters.

A part of me wishes he would have taken this 10-12 hour movie series and make it into a huge TV show ala Centennial, but yeah, he loves the big screen.

If Costner contributed a third + of the budget, does he have a say on how the Part II is released? Theaters for Thanksgiving, and on Max for Christmas would get the most eyeballs.

• Hook 'Em 2

Saw it with my FIL. I thought it was excellent if you understand what they are trying to do. If you go in not aware it’s supposed to be a 4 part saga, and just think it’s a standalone movie, then obviously it would be disappointing. Anyone trying to review it in any other context than the initial setup for the saga is silly.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Saw it with my FIL. I thought it was excellent if you understand what they are trying to do. If you go in not aware it’s supposed to be a 4 part saga, and just think it’s a standalone movie, then obviously it would be disappointing. Anyone trying to review it in any other context than the initial setup for the saga is silly.

So we can’t give a movie an honest review because it’s a 4 parter. Good to know. 

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So we can’t give a movie an honest review because it’s a 4 parter. Good to know. 

That’s not what I said. I said if someone reviews it out of context then I think it’s silly. I hope that clears things up for you.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

That’s not what I said. I said if someone reviews it out of context then I think it’s silly. I hope that clears things up for you.

So if somebody said Horizon sucked, this is your comeback? It’s OK for people to not like the movie is my point. 

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

So if somebody said Horizon sucked, this is your comeback? It’s OK for people to not like the movie is my point. 

Are you dumb? If someone said it sucks and was fully aware of the goal of the movie then by all means everyone is entitled to their opinion. If someone said it suck’s without realizing the larger goal then I think that is silly. I hope that finally clears things up for you this time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TexEx15 said:

Are you dumb? If someone said it sucks and was fully aware of the goal of the movie then by all means everyone is entitled to their opinion. If someone said it suck’s without realizing the larger goal then I think that is silly. I hope that finally clears things up for you this time.

There’s no need for name calling. Most of the people that go to the movies don’t read Variety. Most have no idea there’s a plan for Horizon Parts 3 and 4. They see Kevin Costner in a cowboy hat on a poster, and they want to check it out. He had 3 hours to tell a coherent story. He failed, and that’s OK for the super fans. He did shoot a beautiful, entertaining film.

I hope we get all 4 parts, but I’m skeptical. Part 1 wasn’t a commercial success, and the release of Part 2 has been delayed indefinitely. Part 2 is in the can. I would probably suggest wrapping it up in Part 3 because he might not get another bite at the apple. 

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

There’s no need for name calling. Most of the people that go to the movies don’t read Variety. Most have no idea there’s a plan for Horizon Parts 3 and 4. They see Kevin Costner in a cowboy hat on a poster, and they want to check it out. He had 3 hours to tell a coherent story. He failed, and that’s OK for the super fans. He did shoot a beautiful, entertaining film.

I hope we get all 4 parts, but I’m skeptical. Part 1 wasn’t a commercial success, and the release of Part 2 has been delayed indefinitely. Part 2 is in the can. I would probably suggest wrapping it up in Part 3 because he might not get another bite at the apple. 

That’s fair. Apologies for calling you dumb I just thought I was pretty clear what I meant. I personally don’t think the goal was a “coherent” story in one film and therefore I see it through a different lens where the back and forth did not bother me as I fully expect it to eventually intersect in Horizon (assuming it is seen through to the end).

I do agree with you about hoping to get all 4 parts but not being optimistic. With the delay of 2, I’m hoping (and think it’s their strategy), that home release stirs interest and people will actually learn about it being a 4 part saga leading to its full potential and ensuring 2 is released. I saw someone mention a theatrical release of 2 during the holiday season, which makes sense to me.

I agree that 3 and 4 are very much in doubt and that’s a shame because I think there is a lot of potential that an eventual 4 part complete saga would be excellent.

• Hook 'Em 1

Costner was a movie star, and became a TV star. He staked himself to become a movie star again. 

The logical move was to take Horizon to Netflix sell it as a limited series… but it likely never appears in theaters as a movie. Costner is stuck. Movie theaters are dying, but he still wants to be an A list movie star. The era has passed him by. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Costner was a movie star, and became a TV star. He staked himself to become a movie star again. 

The logical move was to take Horizon to Netflix sell it as a limited series… but it likely never appears in theaters as a movie. Costner is stuck. Movie theaters are dying, but he still wants to be an A list movie star. The era has passed him by. 

Well I hope for the sake of finishing the story they are open to the idea of completing it on a streaming platform. If possible.

14 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Well I hope for the sake of finishing the story they are open to the idea of completing it on a streaming platform. If possible.

Yeah, I think Costner would rather walk away than put it on Max. But we’ll see. That Yellowstone money spends just the same as Dancing with Wolves checks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

You describe an incomplete movie that should have come with instructions, but you want to deride critics for not liking it?

I haven't seen it. I have no opinion about the quality. If I buy a movie ticket, I expect a complete story well told. Period.

6 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

You describe an incomplete movie that should have come with instructions, but you want to deride critics for not liking it?

I haven't seen it. I have no opinion about the quality. If I buy a movie ticket, I expect a complete story well told. Period.

This is a fair take. I do personally think that actual critics should know a little about the film, which would include how it fits into a larger piece of applicable. For Joe Blow Moviegoer I see a more plausible scenario where they just saw a movie poster and said what the hell. My view is probably jaded because of the fact I tend to know what I’m walking into.

Regardless, I think we can all agree they did a poor job setting expectations for this first film.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

This is a fair take. I do personally think that actual critics should know a little about the film, which would include how it fits into a larger piece of applicable. For Joe Blow Moviegoer I see a more plausible scenario where they just saw a movie poster and said what the hell. My view is probably jaded because of the fact I tend to know what I’m walking into.

Regardless, I think we can all agree they did a poor job setting expectations for this first film.

Compliments on the way you've expressed your difference of opinion. Too often, the difference is taken personally.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Suppose parts 3 and 4 never get released and or made. Would part 1 still be worth watching?

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

Suppose parts 3 and 4 never get released and or made. Would part 1 still be worth watching?

Yes as long as part 2 does. As mentioned earlier if they know 3 and 4 are a no go I would hope they call an audible and wrap it up through a revised 2. If they never release 2 then it will be frustrating in my option because I was left wanting to see more.

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Good luck with that. They’ll have to buy out Max. 

Netflix is streaming a shitload of HBOMax content as we speak.  Like top-shelf stuff.  Band of Brothers, Dexter, Matrix movies, tons of DC stuff.  Max will sell just about anything to anybody.  They no longer care about anything outside of Chip and Joanna Gaines and. The reality TV shows.

56 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Netflix is streaming a shitload of HBOMax content as we speak.  Like top-shelf stuff.  Band of Brothers, Dexter, Matrix movies, tons of DC stuff.  Max will sell just about anything to anybody.  They no longer care about anything outside of Chip and Joanna Gaines and. The reality TV shows.

Sure, but Max would have recently acquired these rights, and haven’t even made Part 1 available yet.

Point being, they’d make netflix pay for it.

35 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Point being, they’d make netflix pay for it.

Yeah, and I’m sure Netflix is paying well for the HBO stuff they have right now.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d be good with it. Will Costner be good with? A Netflix life raft is probably the only way he completes his vision. 

If they gave him the money, let him continue to do it the way he wants, and they release it in theaters he probably would.  He’s only got so much real estate he can sell.

• 2 weeks later...

$25 purchase from your preferred online retailer, and $15 to “rent” it.

Seems to be doing better on the streaming front. Been at the top of the “top 10 watched/bought” lists on a lot of the retailers.

Still no word about Part 2, or when filming will start for 3/4. 

Posted (edited)

It’s pre. They were supposed to start filming 3/4 in March, and it kept getting pushed back to the point it was going to conflict with the opening of part 1.

I’m now kind of hesitant to get too invested in the story until knowing the rest are getting made. I don’t think that’s a problem, but a month ago we thought part 2 was coming mid-august. 

Edited by thunderlounge