Holy Shit. I hope Costner pulls this off: Horizon: An American Saga

Plorant

17 hours ago, veritas aequitas said:

Made it past the hour mark and not sure I will ever finish. Was expecting a mediocre movie but got a mediocre mini-series instead, this has every bit the look and feel of made for TV.

Would do better if he broke it up into 8 episodes or such. The one long draw out story building start was never going to work.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Could be an option that’s been considered. Re-cut 1 & 2 into 6 episodes, and then shoot 3/4 as 7-12. 

Call it 2 season, one mini-series, whatever. 

I get the vibe Costner wants to demonstrate he’s still an A list movie star, and not just the lead actor on a big cable show. 

Netflix has expressed interest, so I’m sure that pitch has been made to him.

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I get the vibe Costner wants to demonstrate he’s still an A list movie star

He's not. His last big hit was 25 years ago. Since then, his movies either just barely make more than the budget or lose money. The average 18-35 year old movie patron might know him as Superman's dad. His aging fanbase would rather watch cable than go to the movies. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/24/2024 at 3:14 PM, veritas aequitas said:

Made it past the hour mark and not sure I will ever finish. Was expecting a mediocre movie but got a mediocre mini-series instead, this has every bit the look and feel of made for TV.

It was like watching "Return to Lonesome Dove" without there ever being a Lonesome Dove.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I kind of liked it but, what the hell was that ending?  I'm guessing a preview of Pat 2, but it just kind of came out of nowhere without a warning.  Just a bunch of random, 2-second clips.

As those "stay tuned for next season" clips rolled.

shocked-surprised.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The posts in this thread not knowing this a 4-part quadrilogy are fucking hilarious

jesus christ

but is it though?  i believe, based on the flop of pt 1, that the rest are in jeopardy.  he lost a good chunk of his own personal money on this.

I saw the first one and am still interested enough to see the second.  Not the greatest movie ever and sucks for his bank account if it’s going to lose him tons of money.  But I’ll watch them if they get made. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, futureman said:

I saw the first one and am still interested enough to see the second.  Not the greatest movie ever and sucks for his bank account if it’s going to lose him tons of money.  But I’ll watch them if they get made. 

i will watch as many as he releases too.  pt 1 was just not very good.  3 hrs of mediocrity - not great directing, not great scenery or cinematography, not a great script, not great acting, not a great plot or storyline.  the music was  overly-dramatic, too frequent, and annoying.   the sound editing was shit - could not really make out the dialog.   really not sure where his mind was here.  after doing such a fantastic job with dances with wolves, to put so much time, money, and effort into this shitshow.   by reading this thread it seems a unanimous impression that it had a made for tv feel to it.  

On 8/26/2024 at 6:07 AM, Herpa Derpa said:

He's not. His last big hit was 25 years ago. Since then, his movies either just barely make more than the budget or lose money. The average 18-35 year old movie patron might know him as Superman's dad. His aging fanbase would rather watch cable than go to the movies. 

You shut your whore mouth.

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2024 at 5:42 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I get the vibe Costner wants to demonstrate he’s still an A list movie star, and not just the lead actor on a big cable show. 

Netflix has expressed interest, so I’m sure that pitch has been made to him.

I think he's always wanted to be an epic movie producer but his ambition outpaces his skill.  See also Waterworld.  See also The Postman. He had success with Dances with Wolves and has been trying to recapture it since. 

You could still plug him into a big movie as an actor. But there is a reason he invested his own money for a movie he wrote, directed and produced. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I actually liked Waterworld.  Love dystopian movies and probably watched it too many times to admit.  

I'm still glad he made Horizon, but really wish he had a better inner circle of people to help him with it. It was the right idea just poor execution (so far).

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I actually liked Waterworld.  Love dystopian movies and probably watched it too many times to admit.  

I'm still glad he made Horizon, but really wish he had a better inner circle of people to help him with it. It was the right idea just poor execution (so far).

I don't think he makes horrible movie.  I just don't think he gages the audience well.  And he's not good enough of an artist to make it work. So, he spends a lot of money on something that just doesn't resonate with (enough) consumers.  It's 2024 and he's making a 12 hour epic Western that doesn't have popular source material. That's just next level arrogance. Lonesome Dove had a built-in audience from the novels, and it was made for TV.  

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

I think he's always wanted to be an epic movie producer but his ambition outpaces his skill.  See also Waterworld.  See also The Postman. He had success with Dances with Wolves and has been trying to recapture it since. 

You could still plug him into a big movie as an actor. But there is a reason he invested his own money for a movie he wrote, directed and produced. 

Sounds about right. I think he should just be an actor, show up on set and say "We just gotta take it one scene at a time. I'm just happy to be here. Hope I can help the production. I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing things will work out."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Dances With Wolves is arguably the best western of all time. Postman was not good but not awful. Open Range was great.

hes had a good track record in the other 3 films he directed

A losing argument is in fact an argument 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Just finished it. I watched it over the course of three nights, so  basically like it was a miniseries. It worked well watching it like that.  But I'm a sucker for historical dramas and particularly westerns. The need in me says they did a pretty good job with historical accuracy. Other than an over abundance of cartridge conversions, they had a wide display of firearms that would have been in use at the time period. The costumes were pretty good as well. But they went to all that trouble and then decided to call a Colt Dragoon revolver a Dance and brothers revolver. The Dance and Brothers revolvers were Texas made and fairly distinctive. This will not stand. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/27/2024 at 3:19 PM, thunderlounge said:

I actually like The Postman a lot more than I should. Guess it’s a guilty pleasure.

I chose The Postman over Titanic when both had just been released in theatres and I've never regretted that decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had mixed reactions. The rhythm and pacing seemed off at times. Like when the big climactic battle happens in the first 20 minutes when I had little context and barely knew who anyone was, let alone cared about them.

There were also some confusing cuts and weird jumps scattered throughout. Feels like there were some struggles in the editing room.

It wasn't bad, though?  I still found myself fairly engaged throughout, and I'm here for part two.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 8/27/2024 at 2:20 PM, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

lest we forget that much of what made Costner movies good was Kevin Reynolds.  Will likely check this one out soon as the price is getting closer to right

"Kevin Costner should only act in movies he directs. That way, he can work with his favorite actor and director."

- Kevin Reynolds

21 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

It was a good book and I never got the hate for the movie.

The build up to the final battle scene was some major blue balls edging bullshit. It looked like there was going to be an epic calvary battle and then we get a fist fight instead. That was worse than Horizon ending Dukes of Hazzard style.

Now that it's streaming on HBO, I watched last week.  Agree with what others have said that Costner's trying to do too much and it probably would have been better structured as a series.  That said, solid effort.  Nowhere near as bad as some have said.  Some beautiful cinematography.  Overall, I enjoyed it and am looking forward to Chapter 2.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I did like it, but it should have been a series as others have said.  With more time to develop the characters, it could have been great.  When was the last time you watched a 3 hour movie and didn't even know the names of most of the characters?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/6/2024 at 9:32 AM, kevwun said:

When was the last time you watched a 3 hour movie and didn't even know the names of most of the characters?

Four movies in and I couldn't tell you the name of a single character in the series except the titular John Wick.

• Hook 'Em 1