Tell Me About Michigan

LTtxfan

Michigan Reportedly Poaches Another Ohio State Staff Member

KAMERON DUNCAN      JUN 11, 2024 

image.png.3ed4bf0c959b7c26541536773851d2a4.png

It's clear that there's a lot of change going on with the football program at Michigan, and that change appears to include taking staff members away from their most hated rival.

Running backs coach Tony Alford was the first to come over from Ohio State, and head coach Sherrone Moore has reportedly added another Buckeye.

According to The Michigan Insider, former Assistant AD of Football Recruiting & Events Erin Dunston will now work for the Wolverines as their new Director of Operations.

Dunston has been described as "an absolute rock star," taking her most recent role last year after working as the director of on-campus recruiting.

In her new role, she will report to Scott Goldschmidt and will work with the current director of on-campus recruiting, Kayli Johnson. Dunston helped mentor Johnson, making the transition even easier for her.

"One of my goals is to be a sports AD over football," Dunston said when she was profiled by NBC Sports in 2023.

"I hope that men in the industry, head coaches and assistant coaches, directors of player development, general managers, that they don't just look at directors of on-campus recruiting as, 'Oh, she's just a recruiter.' 

That position is so much more. You're developing relationships; you're meeting with campus constituents; you're building out itineraries; you're moving hundreds of people; you're getting down to the nitty-gritty of an allergy to food to making sure all four buses are running and ready to go."

Before her time at Ohio State, Dunston also had experience at major college programs in both Kansas and Purdue.

We'll see if any more Buckeyes join the new-look Michigan program as Sherrone Moore takes over from Jim Harbaugh.

Wink Martindale expounds on how he'll run the Michigan football defense

Isaiah Hole         June 11, 2024 

image.png.d8debd598d8d13c8eec4a9acd2b24795.png

Michigan football brought in ‘the O.G.’ of the defensive system installed initially by Mike Macdonald and continued by Jesse Minter. Both coordinators learned the system they implemented in Ann Arbor from Wink Martindale when they were under him during their time with the Baltimore Ravens.

Now Martindale is back in college, running the system his proteges thrived with. And though he’s known to be more (self-admittedly) aggressive, he’s more focused on what will work with the players than putting his stamp on things.

He shared more on his defensive approach on the GM Shuffle podcast.

“As a system, it’s very flexible, it’s very player-friendly,” Martindale said. “You know, when you get into the sub-sub stuff — I say it’s a position on this defense, that has a lot of flexibility — and once you understand the concepts, it’s easy to learn the defense. But it’s also different personalities calling the defense. And, I think that at the college level, there’s a lot of more simulated pressures that you see when you’re watching tape that work just as effectively as sending them all. So I think that it’s gonna be a wait and see once we get through fall camp and everything else.

“But let’s make no mistake about it: I’m more aggressive than probably both those guys, sometimes to a fault. Jesse did a fantastic job. I mean, I’m calling him and — now they changed up some terminology because this is the first year we can do the coach-to-player communication. So they changed up some of the names so it’s just shorter one-word names, which is smart. And it helps you right into — when teams want to go fast and play you just say one word.

“But it’s all the players, the vets that are coming back. They know the system. And it’s been really enjoyable. It’s been a lot of fun.”

The knock on Martindale is that he’s blitz-heavy. While his predecessor, Jesse Minter, often shied away from the blitz, fans are worried that Martindale will come in and be a redux of former Michigan defensive coordinator Don Brown.

While Martindale will be quick to admit, yes, he does like to blitz, that isn’t necessarily his ethos. Sometimes, it’s all about showing a quarterback a look and then giving him something different — much like we saw happen under Minter and Macdonald.

“Well, I think that, like you already alluded to Mike, when you have free runners to the quarterback, the average fan just says, ‘Well, he’s zero pressure.’ And we don’t, we just attack protections. Well, in reality, I think it changes from year to year, depending on who you have playing for you and who you’re playing against.

“Like, the first year we played (Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick) Mahomes. I think we hit him 18 times, back in 18. And then he got so good at seeing pressures and where they were coming from and changing protections. The last year that we played him, we just did anything that looked like a pressure was simulated, because he — there’s no reason to blitz it, because he sees it. And he throws it quick. So I think it’s not only by percentage-wise throughout the season, but also per game, per quarterback.”

If Martindale does indeed tailor his defense to the players and the system they’re already familiar with (and it appears he has) and shows restraint, then the sky’s the limit for that side of the ball, assuredly. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Wink Martindale expounds on how he'll run the Michigan football defense

Isaiah Hole         June 11, 2024 

image.png.d8debd598d8d13c8eec4a9acd2b24795.png

Michigan football brought in ‘the O.G.’ of the defensive system installed initially by Mike Macdonald and continued by Jesse Minter. Both coordinators learned the system they implemented in Ann Arbor from Wink Martindale when they were under him during their time with the Baltimore Ravens.

Now Martindale is back in college, running the system his proteges thrived with. And though he’s known to be more (self-admittedly) aggressive, he’s more focused on what will work with the players than putting his stamp on things.

He shared more on his defensive approach on the GM Shuffle podcast.

“As a system, it’s very flexible, it’s very player-friendly,” Martindale said. “You know, when you get into the sub-sub stuff — I say it’s a position on this defense, that has a lot of flexibility — and once you understand the concepts, it’s easy to learn the defense. But it’s also different personalities calling the defense. And, I think that at the college level, there’s a lot of more simulated pressures that you see when you’re watching tape that work just as effectively as sending them all. So I think that it’s gonna be a wait and see once we get through fall camp and everything else.

“But let’s make no mistake about it: I’m more aggressive than probably both those guys, sometimes to a fault. Jesse did a fantastic job. I mean, I’m calling him and — now they changed up some terminology because this is the first year we can do the coach-to-player communication. So they changed up some of the names so it’s just shorter one-word names, which is smart. And it helps you right into — when teams want to go fast and play you just say one word.

“But it’s all the players, the vets that are coming back. They know the system. And it’s been really enjoyable. It’s been a lot of fun.”

The knock on Martindale is that he’s blitz-heavy. While his predecessor, Jesse Minter, often shied away from the blitz, fans are worried that Martindale will come in and be a redux of former Michigan defensive coordinator Don Brown.

While Martindale will be quick to admit, yes, he does like to blitz, that isn’t necessarily his ethos. Sometimes, it’s all about showing a quarterback a look and then giving him something different — much like we saw happen under Minter and Macdonald.

“Well, I think that, like you already alluded to Mike, when you have free runners to the quarterback, the average fan just says, ‘Well, he’s zero pressure.’ And we don’t, we just attack protections. Well, in reality, I think it changes from year to year, depending on who you have playing for you and who you’re playing against.

“Like, the first year we played (Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick) Mahomes. I think we hit him 18 times, back in 18. And then he got so good at seeing pressures and where they were coming from and changing protections. The last year that we played him, we just did anything that looked like a pressure was simulated, because he — there’s no reason to blitz it, because he sees it. And he throws it quick. So I think it’s not only by percentage-wise throughout the season, but also per game, per quarterback.”

If Martindale does indeed tailor his defense to the players and the system they’re already familiar with (and it appears he has) and shows restraint, then the sky’s the limit for that side of the ball, assuredly. 

Blah blah blah blah 

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

• Hook 'Em 1

This game is basically a no-win for us, unless we absolutely kick the living shit out of the Big Weasels, and maybe not even then. 

If we win, it's because they were just getting started with their re-building. If we lose, it's not only because we're just overrated under-performers and loudmouths, but because Meatchicken is an elite powerhouse only beginning to re-assert their dominance over collitch foobaw.

Fuck it. Let's kick the shit out of them... either that, or win on a last-second NFL-worthy FG by Bert, to reprise Vince's "we'll be back" Rose Bowl victory.

5 hours ago, Tex Long said:

This game is basically a no-win for us, unless we absolutely kick the living shit out of the Big Weasels, and maybe not even then. 

If we win, it's because they were just getting started with their re-building. If we lose, it's not only because we're just overrated under-performers and loudmouths, but because Meatchicken is an elite powerhouse only beginning to re-assert their dominance over collitch foobaw.

Fuck it. Let's kick the shit out of them... either that, or win on a last-second NFL-worthy FG by Bert, to reprise Vince's "we'll be back" Rose Bowl victory.

You're whining. There's no need to do so. The world isn't always aligned against Texas. If Texas goes in and beats Michigan, Texas will get its due. If Michigan wins and its close, it's not going to be some terrible item on the resume. If Texas gets beaten badly, somehow, then Texas will deservedly get run over publicly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You're whining. There's no

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You're whining. There's no need to do so. The world isn't always aligned against Texas. If Texas goes in and beats Michigan, Texas will get its due. If Michigan wins and its close, it's not going to be some terrible item on the resume. If Texas gets beaten badly, somehow, then Texas will deservedly get run over publicly. 

Not whining, with or without need. Stating fact.

Our "due" with a close win will be that Meatchicken was down and not quite ready after only one game. If we lose, it will be a black mark (no racism) because combination  of arrogant Texas is overrated and true blueblood Meatchicken didn't even need to steal our signs.

I think we'll win, most of us do. We will shut up the naysayers with a sound thrashing, and I think that's not merely possible but P>0.5 probable. It's months away yet, and many things may affect it, either way.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Not whining, with or without need. Stating fact.

Our "due" with a close win will be that Meatchicken was down and not quite ready after only one game. If we lose, it will be a black mark (no racism) because combination  of arrogant Texas is overrated and true blueblood Meatchicken didn't even need to steal our signs.

I think we'll win, most of us do. We will shut up the naysayers with a sound thrashing, and I think that's not merely possible but P>0.5 probable. It's months away yet, and many things may affect it, either way.

This is whiny self-talk about the media meanies and message board posters not liking Texas properly. Go look at the commentary around the Texas home loss to Ohio State in 2006 after winning the title in 2005. Ohio State got a ton of credit even though everyone reasonably acknowledged the significant losses for Texas coming off the title. 

1 hour ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Vince Young kicked their fucking ass, that's all you need to know about Michigan.

This post makes no fucking sense. It’s just thread vomit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

If theres anybody who knows about thread vomit, it's the person with 12000 fucking posts.

You’ve been a constant nuisance since you started posting with this new handle. Post count smack is as weak as your general presence here. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You’ve been a constant nuisance since you started posting with this new handle. Post count smack is as weak as your general presence here. 

wow cool more shit posts from you, cool cool

why don't you fuck yourself with a tire iron and get over your hissy fit that someone mentioned vince young in your real-deal-srs-bsnss thread on your michigan scouting. You deffo aren't pathetic running an unpaid second job as a professional message board poster like you matter a shit.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed

1 hour ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

wow cool more shit posts from you, cool cool

why don't you fuck yourself with a tire iron and get over your hissy fit that someone mentioned vince young in your real-deal-srs-bsnss thread on your michigan scouting. You deffo aren't pathetic running an unpaid second job as a professional message board poster like you matter a shit.

You should totally call Jim Rome with that and read it verbatim. 

• Haha 3

Sherrone Moore: Jim Harbaugh prophesied me becoming head coach at Michigan

ZACH BARNETT     JUN 11, 2024

Sherrone Moore was in the TSA line at an airport in Houston when he learned he was probably about to become Michigan's new head coach.

"It popped up on my phone, 'Jim Harbaugh to the Chargers.' I was like, okay," Moore told Joel Klatt on the most recent edition of Big Noon Conversations. "That second (phone notification sounds). Text messages, calls. Text messages, calls. Our AD, our assistant AD calls, 'Hey, you've got to come back right now.'

Recalling the chain of events months later, Moore got his dates mixed up. He recalled getting the job on a Saturday, but the Chargers hired Harbaugh on Wednesday, Jan. 24, and Michigan announced Moore on Friday, Jan. 26. Either way, Michigan's search -- if we can even call it that -- lasted less than 48 hours, but in reality Moore knew he was getting the job long before that.

In fact, at some point during Michigan's run to the 2023 national championship, Harbaugh told Moore he would become his replacement. "He said, 'I don't know when, I don't know what's going to happen, no man can tell the future.'" 

Klatt then joked about Harbaugh giving Moore a Harbaugh-ism, but knowing Jim I'd bet he actually quoted Mark 13:32, when Jesus prepared His followers for the destruction of Earth: “However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows."

Moore's ascension to the throne of Michigan football was not always outwardly obvious. He had only six seasons of full-time coaching experience when he joined Harbaugh's staff as tight ends coach in 2018. The next three seasons represented a valley in the Harbaugh era: Michigan went 21-11 over the next three seasons, did not win a bowl game, and saw the gap with Ohio State grow to a point where the Buckeyes dropped 62 and 56 points on the Wolverines during their 2018 and '19 games. Things dropped to a point where some believed, had the 2020 edition of The Game not been cancelled due to covid, the Harbaugh era never would've lasted to 2021.

Harbaugh instituted a number of changes following Michigan's 2-4, virus-shorted campaign, and the best of them was promoting to co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach in 2021. In 2021-22, Michigan went 25-3 with back-to-back defeats of Ohio State and back-to-back Big Ten championships.

At some point during that season, Harbaugh told Moore he was working to officially appoint him his head coach-in-waiting. 

"He said, 'You're going to be the next head coach at Michigan.' I was like, what? He said, 'I'm going to put it in my contract that if I ever leave, that you're the next head coach at Michigan.'"

Moore said that conversation happened "at the beginning of the year." Even still, Moore's status as the next man up was not outwardly obvious. 

Moore was appointed interim head coach during Harbaugh's 3-game suspension to open the 2023 season, but so was defensive coordinator Jesse Minter, and special teams coordinator Jay Harbaugh, and running backs coach Mike Hart. Those four men split game day head coaching duties for the first three games of Michigan's season. 

But when Harbaugh was suspended again, this time during the stretch run of Michigan's regular season, Moore alone was appointed the acting leader of the program.

Moore coached Michigan to a key win at Penn State, guided the team's efforts to its 1,000th all-time win against Maryland, and then earned plaudits for his gutsy play-calling while also serving as acting head coach for the Wolverines' 30-24 win over undefeated Ohio State.

As we know, that contract never got done. From Moore's perspective, though, it was a moot point. He didn't need Harbaugh's endorsement or a contractual booster to his claim for the throne. His performance alone -- specifically, that Ohio State game -- was enough.

"He trusted me and this offense to do everything possible to help him and this team win," Moore said. "I just worked as hard as I could this year."

image.png

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is whiny ... Go look at the commentary around the Texas home loss to Ohio State in 2006 ... 

Makes no sense. It might, though, if Mack had left for the NFL and GDGD was our new HC. And if we'd won the game, or they'd just squeaked by instead of handing us the workmanlike whipping. And if tOSU didn't get their asses kicked by Urban at the end of the year.

Other than that, your isomorphism is excellent.

13 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Moore seems like a crazy person and he’s a Sooner so I think he’ll fail miserably there. I hope it starts week 2. 

Going to be a lot different for him being the guy when Jim isn’t there running day to day operations and he actually has to be a HC and not just a gameday fill in to run the ball 40 times