Tell Me About Michigan

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Which was a home loss to eventual national champion, #1 Ohio State, mind you.  I was at DKR for that one as I was for pretty much every home game between 1994 and 2018.  I remember feeling life after Vince just wasn’t good enough for top competition, but, as you alluded to, the good vibes from Colt McCoy were immediate in that game 1 

How much do you drink? Texas played Ohio State and lost 24-7 in the second game of the year. Ohio State also got their ass handed to them by Florida in the national championship game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Which was a home loss to eventual national champion, #1 Ohio State, mind you.  I was at DKR for that one as I was for pretty much every home game between 1994 and 2018.  I remember feeling life after Vince just wasn’t good enough for top competition, but, as you alluded to, the good vibes from Colt McCoy were immediate in that game 1 

First game was North Texas. We played Ohio St in game 2, Colt wasn’t great but he made up for in the Fiesta Bowl in 2008.

• Hook 'Em 1

How good is their defense? I went to check out their boards, pretty boring. Some say it could be a blowout but most saying they don’t think the defense will let that happen. Also someone said they lost worthy and Mitchell so they must’ve downgraded at WR lulz. Also leaning on that Texas is one dimensional and we can’t run the ball.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

How good is their defense? I went to check out their boards, pretty boring. Some say it could be a blowout but most saying they don’t think the defense will let that happen. Also someone said they lost worthy and Mitchell so they must’ve downgraded at WR lulz. Also leaning on that Texas is one dimensional and we can’t run the ball.

The situation where Texas can’t run the ball well and Michigan can is what worries me.

But I’m not that worried about it. Our guys will be ready to go.
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

The situation where Texas can’t run the ball well and Michigan can is what worries me.

Michigan had 25 yards rushing at the half. At Home. Against Fresno State.

The Michigan o-line looked not good to me. Having to unexpectedly start this other QB must mean that Orji really is retarded. Nothing bodes well for Michigan. Nothing. I don't often bet but it is taking every ounce of self-control I have not to bet huge on the Horns. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn't watch their game, only highlights, and I agree they are not in a good spot on offense. If we can keep their run game to just an average game, they will struggle to score many points. Their defense seems pretty damn salty still. Fresno is not a bad team and they only had 3 points well into the 4th quarter. I think if we can get 24 points on them, we probably win. Anything less than that and this is a dogfight. 

On 9/1/2024 at 6:47 AM, choripan said:

As a Michigan guy, I have no clue if we were not opening up the playbook or our QBs really suck that badly.

I think it may be both. Good news is we have a few god-level players on the defense with good players throughout. I share the same concerns as the poster above, about whether Martindale's schemes will work well in college, especially if Sark runs a lot of crossers and other man beaters (pause) against blitzes with man behind them.

Either way, can ride the high from last season for another season or two! I'm sure it was the same for you guys after the magical Vince year.

You'd think so, but I recall by the middle of the 2007 season, several posters on the previous site were calling for Mac to be fired for not starting John Chiles over Colt McCoy, and also calling for Jamal Charles to be benched for the rest of the season after fumbling the ball at the goal line for what would have been the go-ahead TD in the Oklahoma game.  We tend to have short memories for positive stuff.

16 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

You'd think so, but I recall by the middle of the 2007 season, several posters on the previous site were calling for Mac to be fired for not starting John Chiles over Colt McCoy, and also calling for Jamal Charles to be benched for the rest of the season after fumbling the ball at the goal line for what would have been the go-ahead TD in the Oklahoma game.  We tend to have short memories for positive stuff.

But all was good by 2008 when we were   contending again.

Those rust belt teams can be tough. Expecting dog fight ala 04 Rose BOWL, 05 Ohio St., Ohio St. Fiesta Bowl games.

11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Stalions was named interim HC at a Detroit HS after the head coach suffered from a mild stroke. He lost 60-0

Oh and the football Gods can’t decide whether to curse them or Ohio State since they play each other and are the only two teams in that shitass conference 

13 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Stalions was named interim HC at a Detroit HS after the head coach suffered from a mild stroke. He lost 60-0

Not a surprise. He has zero coaching experience. Only sign stealing. 

Just to put a bow the trip to Michigan, these are my thoughts for this thread in case we ever play them again.

I expected their fans to be a lot like our fans. My view is that you have to go out of your way before or after a home game at Texas to find shitty Texas fans. I think we're hospitable and Texan through and through. When someone is behaving poorly and treating travelers shitty, they're usually managed by our own to shut that shit down. 

I've been to plenty of away and neutral games. Neutral games usually involve both teams mostly behaving themselves. Away games is a spectrum of truly terrible shitbags, like Texas Tech, over to mildly menacing or irritating but mostly friendly, like Bama fans before they lose. 

I've never been to Columbus (for a game) and I've heard enough over the years from UT fans and others alike to know that I won't be going next year and good luck to those who do. What I have heard, however, is how much better Michigan fans are in-person than Ohio State fans. Friends who went to the Texas/Michigan Rose Bowl have attested as much. 

My experience, and I am quite certain many other Texas fans' experiences (I saw the bullshit happening to anyone in burnt orange) doesn't match up to prior reports. My wife and I couldn't walk 50 feet among the crowds on Saturday morning without some dumbfuck, often fully grown adults, feeling compelled to run up and throw their hands in our faces, screaming "HORNS DOWN!!!" over and over as though creative or original.

I don't give a shit about horns down. Say it, yell it, whatever. It's unoriginal, it's an okie hand sign, and it has become ubiquitous. What people can go fuck themselves on is the violation of personal space and damned near touching/hitting my face. When is this okay in any setting? One guy nicked my wife's cheek doing it and then his crew acted as if they were going to jump me and when I told them to fuck off. 

Beyond that, do these grown-ups not comprehend how stupid they look when they do that shit? Also, the constant screaming of stupid shit like "fuck matthew mccanaughey!!" to random strangers from fat girls who shouldn't be wearing skimpy outfits gets tiring from the jump. 

Inside the stadium, it's like the Rose Bowl. They don't have enough bathrooms because the stadium is so old. The connectivity is non-existent, like DKR in 2005 or something.

The stadium itself is very cool, albeit tame. Their songs, including Victors Valiant, are all cool and they sing them well. I'd speculate there isn't a bad seat in the house and they do a good job with their scoreboards in terms of posting stats and scores. Concessions were as run of the mill as a stadium could have offered. 

After the game, Michigan people behaved much more like I expected. They were polite, docile, and defeated. No one talked shit for miles and many were complimentary and nice. There were at least 25,000 Texas fans at this game. Afterwards, I was proud to see none of the kind of shit talking that I'd witnessed Michigan fans doing before the game. 

I'm glad I did the trip to the Big House and can check it off of my sports bucket list. I wouldn't go again, having now done it once. That's mostly due to the trashy bullshit I witnessed in the pregame. 

Also, Detroit was fun and the MGM there is a solid place to stay. 

• Hook 'Em 6

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just to put a bow the trip to Michigan, these are my thoughts for this thread in case we ever play them again.

I expected their fans to be a lot like our fans. My view is that you have to go out of your way before or after a home game at Texas to find shitty Texas fans. I think we're hospitable and Texan through and through. When someone is behaving poorly and treating travelers shitty, they're usually managed by our own to shut that shit down. 

I've been to plenty of away and neutral games. Neutral games usually involve both teams mostly behaving themselves. Away games is a spectrum of truly terrible shitbags, like Texas Tech, over to mildly menacing or irritating but mostly friendly, like Bama fans before they lose. 

I've never been to Columbus (for a game) and I've heard enough over the years from UT fans and others alike to know that I won't be going next year and good luck to those who do. What I have heard, however, is how much better Michigan fans are in-person than Ohio State fans. Friends who went to the Texas/Michigan Rose Bowl have attested as much. 

My experience, and I am quite certain many other Texas fans' experiences (I saw the bullshit happening to anyone in burnt orange) doesn't match up to prior reports. My wife and I couldn't walk 50 feet among the crowds on Saturday morning without some dumbfuck, often fully grown adults, feeling compelled to run up and throw their hands in our faces, screaming "HORNS DOWN!!!" over and over as though creative or original.

I don't give a shit about horns down. Say it, yell it, whatever. It's unoriginal, it's an okie hand sign, and it has become ubiquitous. What people can go fuck themselves on is the violation of personal space and damned near touching/hitting my face. When is this okay in any setting? One guy nicked my wife's cheek doing it and then his crew acted as if they were going to jump me and when I told them to fuck off. 

Beyond that, do these grown-ups not comprehend how stupid they look when they do that shit? Also, the constant screaming of stupid shit like "fuck matthew mccanaughey!!" to random strangers from fat girls who shouldn't be wearing skimpy outfits gets tiring from the jump. 

Inside the stadium, it's like the Rose Bowl. They don't have enough bathrooms because the stadium is so old. The connectivity is non-existent, like DKR in 2005 or something.

The stadium itself is very cool, albeit tame. Their songs, including Victors Valiant, are all cool and they sing them well. I'd speculate there isn't a bad seat in the house and they do a good job with their scoreboards in terms of posting stats and scores. Concessions were as run of the mill as a stadium could have offered. 

After the game, Michigan people behaved much more like I expected. They were polite, docile, and defeated. No one talked shit for miles and many were complimentary and nice. There were at least 25,000 Texas fans at this game. Afterwards, I was proud to see none of the kind of shit talking that I'd witnessed Michigan fans doing before the game. 

I'm glad I did the trip to the Big House and can check it off of my sports bucket list. I wouldn't go again, having now done it once. That's mostly due to the trashy bullshit I witnessed in the pregame. 

If you had people getting in your face there, you definitely don't want to go to Columbus. Most of the adults I encountered both around AA on Friday at restaurants etc and at the stadium were cool and hospitable.  Mainly just heard a lot of Go Blue and I'd just smile and say not today or we'll see or something.  Students were dumb but harmless.  My standard reply to drunk students is "Yeah, I remember my first beer" which usually shuts them up. No disrespect or anything but are you a small fella? If anyone talked shit and got that close to my wife the temperature would sure change quickly 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

If you had people getting in your face there, you definitely don't want to go to Columbus. Most of the adults I encountered both around AA on Friday at restaurants etc and at the stadium were cool and hospitable.  Mainly just heard a lot of Go Blue and I'd just smile and say not today or we'll see or something.  Students were dumb but harmless.  My standard reply to drunk students is "Yeah, I remember my first beer" which usually shuts them up. No disrespect or anything but are you a small fella? If anyone talked shit and got that close to my wife the temperature would sure change quickly 

I am a big dude and have been in a shameful amount of fistfights in my life. I didn't see the point in that and most of the shit being talked was at me, often women doing it. The four dude group that touched my wife decided they didn't have an interest in seeing where we could take things and I just wanted to get to the tailgate and not have my wife further accosted. 

I'm glad and sure other people had different experiences. I was surprised by ours. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This more or less sums up my perspective.  The invasion of personal space was odd - I had several encounters where Michigan fans felt free to do the horns down thing inches from my middle schooler's face.  To his credit, he handled it well and figured out sign stealing quips landed well.

Post game was nice - to their credit, most fans were not like their QB and respected that they got their asses kicked.  They seemed to still be in the post championship bliss.  I mostly told well wishers that I hope they beat USC and OSU.

I am undecided about OSU next year.  I am very curious about A&M and Arkansas this year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, someguy said:

This more or less sums up my perspective.  The invasion of personal space was odd - I had several encounters where Michigan fans felt free to do the horns down thing inches from my middle schooler's face.  To his credit, he handled it well and figured out sign stealing quips landed well.

Post game was nice - to their credit, most fans were not like their QB and respected that they got their asses kicked.  They seemed to still be in the post championship bliss.  I mostly told well wishers that I hope they beat USC and OSU.

I am undecided about OSU next year.  I am very curious about A&M and Arkansas this year.

I have been to BCS too many times to feel intrigued about games there in the future. The aggies have gotten crazier since we were last there. No thank you. 

I will be in Fayetteville with my wife, her brother and our SIL (both Arky grads). It's a protected experience when you're being hosted. We were treated well in 2021 but have heard the horror stories from others. I assume it should be more fun this time and don't know what to expect after the game if that is the case. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting experience CTJ.

Like you said, I didn’t experience any of that at all. Probably had at least half a dozen groups ask us if we were having a good time and being treated well.

One guy did ask me on Friday night what the funny little thing (Longhorn logo) on my shirt was. I just told him he’d find out tomorrow and that was that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have been to BCS too many times to feel intrigued about games there in the future. The aggies have gotten crazier since we were last there. No thank you. 

I will be in Fayetteville with my wife, her brother and our SIL (both Arky grads). It's a protected experience when you're being hosted. We were treated well in 2021 but have heard the horror stories from others. I assume it should be more fun this time and don't know what to expect after the game if that is the case. 

Was at AA.  No issues,  but we were a group of 6 guys,  so that tends to keep it reasonably good natured, even if we are approaching old as dirt status.   Was at AR in 21.  GREAT time,  but hanging out in their bar scene Friday night in horns gear was unique and not for the thin skinned.    I stopped in a bar to let a 75 year old little old lady pass as we were working our way through a jammed packed crowd, as she passed me she said "Thanks Texas".....  actually that's not what she said,  what she actually said was "Go Fuck Yourself, Texas",  which I thought was pretty damn funny.   In general I thought Arky was 100% hostile, but 90% good natured about it.  Like Tuscaloosa,  it's the late night drunk T-shirt fans you really got to keep an eye on.  

nothing but good experiences for me. everyone was super nice and friendly. most were also somewhat resigned to their fate beforehand.

any of the smack talk was relatively good natured and it would take a really sensitive person to get pissy about anything we encountered.

zero problems with anyone or anything michigan from the weekend.

not even in the same solar system as the rat fucking shit-for-brains at ohio state. those piece of shit can all go fuck themselves into oblivion for all i care. i hope they all lead miserable fucking lives.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Truth.  I too was there in 2021 at a WPS tailgate on the North side (cool area up high looking down on the stadium) and aside from a few boos for the first 5 minutes they were all cool. Gave me beer and brisket that was good.   Of course had the drunks screaming after the game but I ignored it.  Cell service is awful. 

No real life experience here, but part of my post Michigan game glow basking experience has been hitting the Michigan Youtube and podcast sites from both before and after the game.

I must say there us plenty of content with quite a bit of actual analysis and film breakdown.  It comes from the slant of Michigan messing some things up rather than Texas just overwhelming them, but they throw out a lot of praise for QE and Oline mostly from a talent appreciation perspective rather than technique, execution, play call type.

Still much better than I have seen from any other opponent, but not better than Texags meltdown for entertainment.

Very much worth doing a search and settling in, because the next month is going to be slow.  Upper midwest accents will get to you after awhile.

Overall I give them 3.5 Walleye out of 4.

18 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

It comes from the slant of Michigan messing some things up rather than Texas just overwhelming them

I had a conversation with one of the guys with that perspective. I asked him if, last year, when Michigan was choking people out did he attribute that to the other teams messing up or to the pressure Michigan’s talent and scheme applied to them. 

IMG_6302.jpeg

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Yeah, I saw similar stuff as CTJ but the MI fans were puppy dogs compared to the shitbags in Columbus.  But you hit the nail on the head from what I've seen with shit talkers at any road game, they won't do it if you're over 6' or a big fella and/or in a group.  Those type of fans only get fake tough when guys are solo or just with their lady.  Not really shocking human behavior if you think about it.

I've been going to away football games for 40 years and this was the best fan base I have encountered. Nebraska is probably a close second -- and Ohio St the worst.  Everyone I met was extremely gracious and welcoming.  Invited to many tailgates before and after the game. Of course, your mileage may vary. Heard "down horns" several times but no invasion of personal space. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It always cracks me up that every new fan base Texas encounters thinks they invented the Horns down and that it's really going to make me mad. I really think it's funny because it shows you're more mad/jealous of Texas than you like/ are confidenti in yourself.  And I also know it can end up a move you deeply regret later

images (11).jpeg

We had a great time and no issues before or after, but my girlfriend is a UM grad and was dressed head to toe in maze and blue. We mostly got a lot of "House divided" and "What's the bet?" jokes, but that was the worst of it. We parked off Scio Church road on the other side of the High School, and I was the only guy in Burnt Orange I saw until we got to the tailgate lot by the school. I could see it being worse if you walked through campus with all the students. 

9 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

It always cracks me up that every new fan base Texas encounters thinks they invented the Horns down and that it's really going to make me mad. I really think it's funny because it shows you're more mad/jealous of Texas than you like/ are confidenti in yourself.  And I also know it can end up a move you deeply regret later

images (11).jpeg

7 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I hope every fan base in the country adopts the horns down. It is not just rent-free living in their heads, it is free marketing. MLB fans don't all hate the Brewers; they hate the Yankees. I don't want to be SW Missouri St. We are Texas.

I love seeing it on tv. It's always on Gameday, irrespective of where Gameday is and regardless of Texas being involved. You can find it in crowds being panned to for almost any event, but especially sports. The Texas brand is powerful. The logo and the hand sign have made it almost universally recognized, at least in the western world, and the hands down just builds on it because it clearly gets even more people involved. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, TxEx84 said:

I've been going to away football games for 40 years and this was the best fan base I have encountered. Nebraska is probably a close second -- and Ohio St the worst.  Everyone I met was extremely gracious and welcoming.  Invited to many tailgates before and after the game. Of course, your mileage may vary. Heard "down horns" several times but no invasion of personal space. 

That was exactly my experience, too.  There was plenty of horns down, but it was never particularly confrontational.  And the guys we were in line with to get into the stadium asked (after doing the requisite horns down) whether it pissed us off.  For my part, I answered with a shrug; the Longhorn fan next to me indicated that it was more annoying to him.  I relayed how we were in Omaha a few years ago with Mobilehoma, aggy, and the Domers and all three teams were doing horns down even when playing each other.  And that's dumb.  But it also reflects that Sark is right that some people hate us more than they love themselves.

And that observation put a quick end to any horns down nonsense.  Really, it just seems like it's something they see other teams' fans doing that's kind of fun and you might as well get in on it when you have the opportunity.

Another guy I was chatting with while in line for a beer . . . and at this point you might get the correct impression that standing in lines is a central part of the gameday experience at Michigan Stadium . . . noted that they were going to Norman next year and they were "trying to decide who was the Michigan and who was the Ohio State in that rivalry."  I just laughed.  My dude--I'm going to poison that particular well.  You'll find out in due course.

Anyway--I had far more good chats with far more people than I ever have had at any away game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I love seeing it on tv. It's always on Gameday, irrespective of where Gameday is and regardless of Texas being involved. You can find it in crowds being panned to for almost any event, but especially sports. The Texas brand is powerful. The logo and the hand sign have made it almost universally recognized, at least in the western world, and the hands down just builds on it because it clearly gets even more people involved. 

I love seeing the logo installed upside down on cars in Oklahoma-- not only did they go out of their way to display the brand, but they actually paid merchandise licensing fees to their primary rival to put their insecurity on display.   

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Michigan completes contract with Sherrone Moore

Michigan announced a 5-year, $6 million a year contract with Moore upon his promotion to head coach in late January, but didn't put pen to paper to actually complete the thing until now.  And now that it's done , Moore must turn to the more important matter of fixing an offense that, two games in, appears to not have a quarterback.

image.thumb.png.3c57abfb2ccc0f964a784bb89b7af838.png

image.thumb.png.befad58a753922d070a7b1576c0003fb.png

https://footballscoop.com/news/michigan-completes-contract-with-sherrone-moore