Vancouver

Am doing initial planning for family trip (wife and almost 17 year old twins) to Seattle and Vancouver CA in June 2024.  There is a long Seattle thread, but I don't see a dedicated Vancouver thread.

How many days is optimal for Vancouver?  What are recommended sights/activities/excursions/restaurants?  Any essential overnight (not day trip) destination?

• Hook 'Em 1

I think 2-3 days is good in Vancouver

Ramen on Robson St, rent bikes in Stanley Park, Capilano Bridge; walk through Granville Island, dinner in Yaletown, Vij's for Indian. Can also venture out to Grouse Mountain or even Whistler time permitting. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Museum of Vancouver is old but tells a great story especially about Asian Canadians of all types. 

Granville Island is fun if not a bit too touristy.

University of British Columbia has a neat anthropology museum and is also a nice campus to visit to compare with US colleges.

Yaletown is great for eating. 

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

We did that trip last June plus Victoria, which I would highly recommend. We flew into Vancouver for a couple of days, took the ferry to Victoria for two nights at the Empress and then took another ferry to Seattle for a couple of days before coming home. 

I’ll try to remember some of the Vancouver spots but I would advise avoiding Chinatown (or at least the part of it we walked through) unless you want to watch folks shooting up in the middle of the street at 10:00 am. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

Just finishing up a whale watching trip with Price of Whales here now.  Great trip with orca and humpback whale sightings. Captain even kept us out later as the humpbacks were super active. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Ebeye said:

Just finishing up a whale watching trip with Price of Whales here now.  Great trip with orca and humpback whale sightings. Captain even kept us out later as the humpbacks were super active. 

Did the same one in July 2019. Actually saw an orca pod make a kill toward the end of the trip. Couple of calves moved in to clean up and get some nutrition.

Was some of the coolest shit I've ever witnessed.

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

We’re doing the same one in 10 days!

When they say dress warmly, do so.  Temp itself wasn’t bad but the wind was blowing solid on the trip out. There were a lot of folks on our boat that didn’t listen and were in shorts and tshirts. Also they do take pics of everything you see and post them later that evening for you to download, so if you are a crappy photographer like I am, don’t sweat it. 

IMG_1764.jpeg

IMG_1763.jpeg

IMG_1759.jpeg

IMG_1748.jpeg

IMG_1738.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tonesky said:

Started this thread, but abandoned Vancouver….  Beginning descent to Sea-Tac now. Going on whale trip with Eagle Wing out of Victoria BC one week from today. 

Butchart Gardens on Victoria is absolutely amazing. It's huge and just a great place to wander. They're also open late. I'd recommend going so you can be there for part daylight and part dusk, when their light display turns on. We rented a car, stopped at some small wineries and then went to the gardens.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Chopper said:

Butchart Gardens on Victoria is absolutely amazing. It's huge and just a great place to wander. They're also open late. I'd recommend going so you can be there for part daylight and part dusk, when their light display turns on. We rented a car, stopped at some small wineries and then went to the gardens.

We already have tickets. Looking forward to it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...