2024 NFL free agency/off season thread

closetohumping

On 6/13/2024 at 8:20 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I get extending him after Year 4, but why now? Khan seems bright. An engineer, self made billionaire. Does he think they’re close? 

My hunch is that the Jags think Lawrence is good enough to keep them in playoff contention, and maybe they get hot and run into a championship eventually. Cousins 2.0. The alternative is a rebuild. Not very appealing for a team that plays a lot of games in London. 

Because if you do it next year you can add another $30MM to the total even if he doesn’t get any better or appreciably worse….

On 6/7/2024 at 3:28 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Lolfad4ce31549e988bef4d49a8c0e48bcc.jpg

If Im an NFL player and they tell me its so dangerous that I have to ride in armored vehicle…… Im staying in the US….. keep my check, dont care.   I’ll see yall when you get back.

• Hook 'Em 1

He'll be unemployed shortly. 

Cleveland Browns defensive end Lonnie Phelps was charged with drunken driving Wednesday night after police said he crashed his SUV into a Florida restaurant.

Phelps also faces a charge for damaging property following the incident at the Red Shoe Island Bistro in Key West.

Phelps, 23, was taken into custody after refusing to cooperate with officers, according to a Monroe County Sheriff's Office report obtained by Cleveland.com.

Photographs reportedly from the scene were posted online by TMZ Sports and showed a vehicle wedged into the side of the restaurant. Reports estimated the damages at $300,000.

Phelps signed with the Browns as an undrafted free agent in May 2023, and he spent last season on their practice squad. Cleveland signed him to a reserve/future contract in January.

Phelps played college football at Miami (Ohio) from 2019 to '21 and at Kansas in 2022. He recorded 23 sacks and 29.5 tackles for loss in 41 games. 

4a6e3405bb244db29cc97875a7fb80fb-md.jpg

I hate all of our free agency, especially Baker Maytard. What are we even doing? We can't go grab a QB worth a shit?a bunch of fucking nobodies in the draft outside of Chris Braswell, a RB who won't pan out, and another WR (albeit he was good for UW). But fuck, how about we draft an actual QB for Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. We could have gotten Jaylen Wright, but instead we settled for Bucky Irving. 

Well done, Jason Licht. 

Dumbass. 

image.thumb.png.67970f6322adf5f7dee98ebe14ad66f3.png

6 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I hate all of our free agency, especially Baker Maytard. What are we even doing? We can't go grab a QB worth a shit?a bunch of fucking nobodies in the draft outside of Chris Braswell, a RB who won't pan out, and another WR (albeit he was good for UW). But fuck, how about we draft an actual QB for Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. We could have gotten Jaylen Wright, but instead we settled for Bucky Irving. 

Well done, Jason Licht. 

Dumbass. 

Baker is a sooner cunt. But he’s about average for an nfl qb.  You could do worse

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Baker is a sooner cunt. But he’s about average for an nfl qb.  You could do worse

Right now I would take Ryan Fitzpatrick. I fucking loathe Mayfield. And his contract was once again a dumbass move. Billionaires are some of the dumbest human beings on the planet in the NFL

On 6/20/2024 at 4:07 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Well done, Jason Licht. 

Dumbass. 

lol who the fuck were you going to draft there?

On 6/20/2024 at 9:35 PM, closetohumping said:

Gotta give him credit for plugging away, playing ball and not going all Johnny Football. He seems to get it, as far as working, learning and earning his continued time the league.

David Shaw takes NFL front office job

ZACH BARNETT        JUN 20, 2024

Former Stanford head coach David Shaw has taken a role in the Denver Broncos front office, according to Mike Klis of 9News in Denver. 

Shaw will be a senior personnel executive for the Broncos.

Shaw spent the 2023 season out of the game following the end of his 12-year run as Stanford's head coach. Taking over for Jim Harbaugh, Shaw initially improved upon his predecessor's breakthrough success on The Farm: five 10-win campaigns in his first six seasons, three Rose Bowl appearances (two wins), three Pac-12 championships, three AP top-10 finishes, and a No. 3 finish in 2015.

However, Stanford endured losing seasons in three of Shaw's last four seasons.

Shaw interviewed for the Broncos head coaching job that ultimately went to Sean Payton in 2023. Denver went 8-9 in Payton's first season, and overall the club has endured seven consecutive losing seasons under four different head coaches. 

Denver ownership all has ties to Stanford -- team owner/CEO Greg Penner has an MBA degree from the school, minority owner Carrie Walton Penner owns a Master's degree, and minority owner Condoleezza Rice taught at the institution.

Shaw coached nine seasons in the NFL before joining Harbaugh's staff at the University of San Diego in 2006. He joined the league as a quality control for the Philadelphia Eagles in 1997 (where Sean Payton was the QBs coach), then joined the Raiders, eventually becoming quarterbacks coach. Shaw then coached quarterbacks and wide receivers for the Baltimore Ravens from 2002-05.